Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen gig

Options
  • 05-07-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi
    We're travelling to Cork for the Brucie gig next week & like a pair of eejits have not organised accommodation, and (as you'd expect) the hotels seem to be booked up. I haven't been to Cork before, whats the public transport like down there? Are there towns outside/on the outskirts of the city which we could get a reasonably priced taxi or a bus to late at night? Or any suggestions of hotels with availability on 18th July?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Are ye staying the 17th?.He is playing on Thursday the 18th.Seems all hotels are booked out for that night including the three I gave you above.

Ye could stay in this hostel in Midleton(about 12 miles from city) for €18 each.Ye can get a train to/from Cork to Midleton after/before the gig or a taxi would cost around €30(one way).

Hostel here.
    http://anstor.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

what about a b and B there is one in glanmire cost you 20 euro in taxi home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

if you were willing to stay in carrigaline (as suggested in one of the hotels listed above) then there is a very good b&b which i have used for guests who came over to us with work. its http://www.glenwoodguesthouse.com/ and the owners name is adrian and he is very helpful if you needed to sort out transport there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No way would I stay as far out as Carrigaline. Plenty of closer options with availability for that night on booking.com. Id go to the Imperialm, Metropole, Issacs, Jurys or even the Rochestown Park Hotel (Not city centre but close to Douglas)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Carrigaline really isn't that far out. Its a 15/20 minute drive from the city and if needs must. Would be cheaper to get from carrigaline to the city than from a lot of other places outside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Try Blarney, lots of BnB's and 15mins from the city

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭grainuaile

Are ye staying the 17th?.He is playing on Thursday the 18th.Seems all hotels are booked out for that night including the three I gave you above.

yes sorry 18th i meant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

grainuaile wrote: »
    Hi
    We're travelling to Cork for the Brucie gig next week & like a pair of eejits have not organised accommodation, and (as you'd expect) the hotels seem to be booked up. I haven't been to Cork before, whats the public transport like down there? Are there towns outside/on the outskirts of the city which we could get a reasonably priced taxi or a bus to late at night? Or any suggestions of hotels with availability on 17th July?

If you search on a site like booking.com, you'll be able to check the availability at multiple hotels for the nights you want and you can also check the distance from the city center for individual hotels.

I've tried all the hotels & guesthouses named and they're all booked up! We're coming from Mayo so Carrigaline is the wrong side of the city for us really .. Blarney would be ideal but all booked up too :) Looks like we'll be staying on the dry and heading back up home again after the gig :)

• Advertisement

becost wrote: »
    If you search on a site like booking.com, you'll be able to check the availability at multiple hotels for the nights you want and you can also check the distance from the city center for individual hotels.

I had been through all those websites but anything available was outside the city, and not being familiar with Cork my question was how easy it is to travel from outlying areas into and out of the city at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

calnand wrote: »

looks perfect .. have emailed :) thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

looks perfect .. have emailed :) thanks:)

The shandon bells b&b is 90 a night and in the heart of the city!and they have a room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The shandon bells b&b is 90 a night and in the heart of the city!and they have a room

OH HELL NO!!! Only stay at the Shandon Bells if you really have no place else to go. I stayed there once. For one night only. The experience was horrific - didn't get a wink of sleep, and the place was FILTHY. The next day, I decamped to the Blarney Stone guest house across the road.

That's the reason why the Shandon Bells have rooms! ;)

OH HELL NO!!! Only stay at the Shandon Bells if you really have no place else to go. I stayed there once. For one night only. The experience was horrific - didn't get a wink of sleep, and the place was FILTHY. The next day, I decamped to the Blarney Stone guest house across the road.

That's the reason why the Shandon Bells have rooms! ;)

oh wow. thanks for the heads up!:eek:
    Blarney Stone Guesthouse full too ... waiting on a few more to get back to me

bungaro79 wrote: »
    if you were willing to stay in carrigaline (as suggested in one of the hotels listed above) then there is a very good b&b which i have used for guests who came over to us with work. its http://www.glenwoodguesthouse.com/ and the owners name is adrian and he is very helpful if you needed to sort out transport there and back.

Just got a reply; full
    :(

Have you tried the Killarney B & B. It's across the road from the Shandon Bells. CALL them. Don't e-mail!!

There's also B & B's at the bottom of Summerhill North (walking distance or a short taxi ride from the Marquee), and at the bottom of Cathedral Road, which also isn't far...I'll have a scout round.

Have you tried the Killarney B & B. It's across the road from the Shandon Bells. CALL them. Don't e-mail!!

Never have credit in my phone :rolleyes: why not email though? surely cork business people are able to use t'internet? :)

• Advertisement

There's also B & B's at the bottom of Summerhill North (walking distance or a short taxi ride from the Marquee), and at the bottom of Cathedral Road, which also isn't far...I'll have a scout round.

cool thanks, summerhill north i'll check out that area. pardon my ignorance but is the marquee the same as/close to pairc ui chaoimh?

We can. But it takes time to answer an e-mail, does it not? And you want rooms in a hurry don't you? It's FAR quicker to call, and you get an answer straight away....

cool thanks, summerhill north i'll check out that area. pardon my ignorance but is the marquee the same as/close to pairc ui caoimh?

It's right by Pairc Ui Chaoimh...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Have yee any idea of any busses going down and going back up from Cork again after the concert? Anything would be much aprreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Try air bnb
    It is small scale rentals , so private rooms in peoples houses or small guesthouses
    Never tried it in cork but have in other places and it can be good
    There are a few spots showing up in the city
    For example
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1278768

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Saw him in Paris as cant make the Irish concerts due to work :mad: anyway was eating near the George v hotel and came across a crowd waiting to see Bruce. We didn't stay as wanted to get to the queue but got me thinking as to what fancy hotels in cork and limerick might have mad fans to deal with this week. I doubt he will stay in his usual and helicopter it from Dublin. Any thoughts for the laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,038 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What time is show starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Fota? Or stay somewhere like adare and helicopter it to limerick and cork.

Paris one started at 730 as did others so I guess the same?

• Advertisement

Adare yeah that does sound reasonable. Prob better privacy there too for some piece and quiet

Advertisement