Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd prefer world feed myself. ITV commentary is awful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s world feed (Paul Dempsey I think) for Spurs v Portsmouth. Of course the BBC game in this slot is actually Gillingham v Leicester.

The BBC has the spurs game live on the iPlayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

Interesting that tonight’s FA Cup match on ITV 4 between Liverpool and Wolves has not been geo-blocked and is available for Virgin Media cable viewers to watch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

Confession time folks - I did this on day 1 of the transponder split and found out back then but I didn't want to say anything fear someone in Viaplay might read it and block the streams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Was watching Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle on Bbc1 in the pub. After the match they put on Premier Sports 1 and they were showing the same match 15 minutes behind and the match finished just before the Liverpool/Wolves match which was shown live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Spn744

The Premier Sports website and twitter page seem to have disappeared. The rebrand to Viaplay must be happening shortly however EPG and Sky Go still say Premier Sports.

Premier Sports isn't rebranding in Ireland. The website and twitter are gone a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's Virgin that do the blocking so to speak if necessary for ITV 4 but less and less sport is getting blocked these days. It reminds me off how much I miss ITV 1 (UTV) News At Ten etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Cannot now get Premier Sport listings on Entertainment .ie

I could do so a couple of days ago.

If Viaplay are finally taking over from Premier in ROI what happens to 3.00pm PL live soccer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It would be great if RTE or Virgin Media would make an offer and take them for the rest of the contract. However, Virgin Media may not be fussed, seeing their Saturday afternoons are taken up with ITV Horse Racing mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Viaplay aren’t taking over premier in Ireland

Premier in Ireland is a zombie station. It exists on broadcast TV but has no digital presence at all (save for Now, Sky Go etc) and exists (IMO) solely to fulfil contractual obligations

Premier Sport listings are still there. I checked just now.

For some reason Saturday's schedule will not load for me. Can anyone inform me which PL 3.00pm KO is being shown?

I saw them advertise the Brighton v Liverpool game the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Thank you very much. Will use this Sky guide. I am in N. Ireland and can watch PS via other channels.

Post edited by Digifriendly on

There isn’t and wont be a rebrand in Ireland; Viaplay are being absolutely clear now that they didn’t buy the ROI operation (pity it took them so long to say it, though).

The Irish operation remains owned by Michael O’Rourke/Leonard Ryan/Setanta Sports, as far as I can tell. The website and social media channels are gone since December nothing new has happened there this week.

Nor would I say, at this point, that it is “existing solely to fulfill contractual obligations”, as Setanta themselves would tell you, there are ways out of that if they needed or wanted to get out now. They willingly took the extension on offer from the Premier League at a point when the sale of the U.K. operation to Viaplay was at least on the cards and did a new deal with LaLiga in the same period. Watch what happens with the ROI PL rights for 2025-28 which should be on offer later this year/early next year if the PL keeps to its usual schedule.

Post edited by icdg on

Just to confirm Sky EPG listing Brighton v Liverpool as FAPL 3pm followed by Connacht v Brieve in the European Challenge Cup.

Connacht v Brieve now appears to have been dropped in favour of live SPFL Cup football, not sure of the logic in that one and it doesn’t seem to be even getting a repeat. Wouldn’t mind but they are showing a recording of Pau v Dragons on Premier 2 at same time!

• Advertisement

Pathetic and no way to contact them to tell them they're pathetic.

It is Celtic, to be fair so there may have been an element of wanting to retain the football audience after the Liverpool game, but not sure why the rugby couldn’t have been moved to Prem 2.

I'm not complaining about Celtic being shown, it is them choosing to show a repeat of two non Irish teams over live coverage of an Irish team that I am complaining about.

It wouldn't surprise me if they've provided incorrect EPG data and Connacht ends up being shown but the last few weeks shows they really don't care.

Interestingly Connacht is not on Viaplay either

I wouldn’t be surprised if the nature of the deal is that Premier and Viaplay have to show the same games (EPCR have form on that one)

But I’m also pretty sure the game was being promo-ed on Premier earlier in the week.

The game had coverage somewhere as RTE just showed some of it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Would RTE have the Budget or interest in the 3pm soccer games if premier called it a day?

I also see in the British media they are saying apple will look to make a move on the next premier league rights

Depends who they would be up against. The rights are only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay. RTE had rights before, of course, and then shared with Setanta between 2004-07.

I don’t think Sky will do it again, tbh, so I’m not sure who the competition will be. I don’t think Sky got the value and they seemed to lost interest by the last of the three seasons they had the rights.

But I’m not convinced Premier will call it a day, yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If Apple do win some of the games in the bid for the next round UK rights from 2025. Could they pull their muscle and outbid the likes of Amazon or even BT Sport in the UK and then strike a rest of World rights deal for those outside the UK, possibly Ireland and the USA ?

I do recognise that the USA market is in a different position at this time as Comcast/NBC Sports have an exclusive deal to have EPL matches there until 2028.

The Premier League will, as usual, do what best suits the Premier League. It would be difficult for Apple to do any deal of that type though, because there are as you say longer deals in certain markets, it’s not just the US, and because the Premier League does things on a country by country basis.

I suspect if Apple do go for a rights package it will be for the packages currently held by either BT or Amazon. If they took the Sky package it would be seismic, but for Sky that package is existential and they will bet the house to keep it. Note how Apple are not willing to do deals at any price; they pulled out of negotiations for NFL Sunday Ticket in the US that analysts said they were nailed on to win.

SVG Europe has reported that over 200 staff members have had their jobs dissolved following the their recent jv being announced with WBD.

The announcement came staff after they attended a zoom meeting which mentioned that they had to re-apply for roles to continue working with the business.

A consultation process is underway with all staff members as they re-apply for roles.

Separately it was announced that BT Sport will leave Stratford once their lease on the building expires later this year. It will move over to buildings owned by WBD in Chiswick and Stockley Park in the near future.

Update on Premier Sports schedule this weekend - there seems to only be one Challenge Cup game now which is on PS1 at 7:55p.m. Friday., Glasgow Warriors v Bath. This is the game that ViaPlay are screening as well. Unfortunately Newcastle v Connacht has been dropped to EPCR's own streaming platform. Premier Sports have picked up both days of the Nordic Darts Masters on PS2, which is an extra as ITV were only covering the Saturday.

Again just taken from EPG updates, knowing Premier you could tune in and find something completely different!!

Dragons v Lions on Sunday 1pm Prem 1 also. There’s a couple of repeats of Toulon v Zebre and Free State Cheetahs v Pau stuck in there too but not live.

Viaplay Extra are showing the Toulon/Dragons/Pau games live so if you're in the ROI you can add Viaplay channels manually and watch that way though you can't record. Sadly no Connacht coverage on either Viaplay or Premier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eddieoregan

Watching the darts on Premier Sports 2 on Sky, picture is poor, looks as its a streaming feed!!

Yes it looked terrible, definitely looked like some kind of stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eddieoregan

WBD have confirmed this evening that the lease on the studio used for BT Sport in Stratford will expire in July.

BroadcastNow has reported in a paywalled article that BT Sport will move to an existing base in West London.

Meanwhile the 200 staff who are at risk of redundancy at BT Sport have been told by management that the number of jobs they can apply for at the broadcaster have been reduced.

The new jobs have to be applied by people under a completely new recruitment structure with the media conglomerate.

According to the Bectu trade union website; there will be redundancies at the broadcaster taking place later this year. But it is not clear how many will be implemented at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Have Premier Sports via Vodafone TV.

Picture is excellent, HD. BT comes in SD.

• Advertisement

BT is HD too no? It’s Sky Sports that’s in SD only?

Elsewhere that rare thing, a press release relating to Premier Sports! Details of their Leinster Senior Schools coverage, and a quote from Michael O’Rourke (in case there are any more doubts about the ownership of the Irish operation).

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/premier-sport-and-leinster-tv-confirm-schools-schedule/

FA Cup Fourth round ties (all Prem 1)

Today

8pm Man City v Arsenal

Tomorrow

12:30pm Accrington Stanley v Leeds

3pm Fulham v Sutherland

5:55pm Preston NE v Spurs

8pm Man United v Reading

Sunday

12:45pm Brighton v Liverpool

4:25pm Wrexham v Sheffield United

URC gets booted to Prem 2 and is basically just the provinces games live. Friday and Saturday LaLiga and Top 14 gets repeats only. There are three live LaLiga games on Sunday and one Top14 fixture in prime time.

Incidentally there seems to be a story out, not sure how true it is, that prior to the Viaplay takeover that DAZN made an offer for Premier Sports that would have effectively involved Setanta Sports taking a stake in DAZN. Quite rightly it was rejected (they weren’t selling for €0 and a stake in a loss making business) but if true it may have spurred on the takeover.

Post edited by icdg on

Possibly won’t be missed by many but looks like Championship Rugby League is another causalty of the Premier/Viaplay split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Add Nascar to that list as well.

As an aside a company called eurasian broadcasting enterprise ltd with the same address as Premier is a rights holder but not for Ireland.

That would be the Setanta Eurasia operation I think, still called Setanta but no longer owned by O’Rourke/Ryan - sold to a Georgian company a year or two ago. They do have NASCAR rights, I think, and operate in several Eastern European and Asian markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Premier Sports PL 3pm Coverage:

Feb 11 - Arsenal v Brentford

Feb 15 - Arsenal v Man City (Wednesday 7.30pm)

Feb 18 - Everton v Leeds

Feb 25 - Leicester v Arsenal

Mar 04 - Arsenal v Bournemouth

Mar 11 - Man Utd v Southampton

Mar 18 - Liverpool v Fulham

https://www.premierleague.com/fixtures

Probably the biggest ever Premier League fixture Premier Sports will ever cover tonight with #1 Arsenal v #2 Man City. Seems to be studio coverage to as befitting. Alas with no website or social media you won’t know unless you’re a regular viewer.

Can people in ROI see this game via Amazon Prime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, Amazon only have the rights in the UK. It is being broadcast on Premier here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

They put an ad on the front page of the Irish Times

• Advertisement
Advertisement