Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this recession change Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

No.
    I've come to the conclusion that the Irish are political and economic idiots with no balls, social responsibility, or long term planning.
    Full of confused new wave illogical leftists or "divide and conquer" power hungry capitalists.

If this was another country the dail would have been over run by now.

Welcome to Ireland, 2009. Legacy of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

bug wrote: »
    No.
    I've come to the conclusion that the Irish are political and economic idiots with no balls, social responsibility, or long term planning.
    Full of confused new wave illogical leftists or "divide and conquer" power hungry capitalists.

where do you fit on this spectrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

No.

Yes... because Ireland hasn't always been like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

At least now and hopefully going forward..:o People will know the value of a Euro..
    The idea of paying through the nose for a house with no back yard or parking was going to catch up with us sometime...

Our serious over the top wages and expenses also had to come to an end.

I do though think people are now being a bit more nicer and less self involved towards each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

It may change us for the better.

I am sick of having to listen to people boasting about how much money they earned on this job, how many holidays they took or how much they spent on drink last night over the last few years. Money was the be all end all.

In my view Ireland was living on credit. Sure there was a lot of flash cars-but a lot of red bank accounts.

Will do no harm to bring people back to earth, will probably make us nicer as people too in a weird kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I was charged €6.00 for a cup of coffee in fooking Tullamore!!

:eek: Tullaf**kingmore???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

segaBOY wrote: »
    In my view Ireland was living on credit.

Proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hopefully it will make people think twice about charging or paying €7 for a cup of coffee.

I have thought for a long time that what was needed in Ireland was a good, deep recession.

Where would you pay €7 for a coffee??? I think you are telling porkies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

It's turning previously sensible people into "BAWWW THE FORDINERS ARE TOOKING MY JABS".

It's also turning complete idiots into people who are now convinced they understand economics and politics inside and out because they now watch the news once a week and overheard a few lads on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Yes, it will change Ireland for the better. A mentality has been built up in this country over the last few years that life is meant to be good and that its the norm for their to be enough resources for everybody. Hopefully this recession will be a kick in the spine for these **** and make them realise that they're wrong. Hopefully the teenagers in the next decade won't have enough financial resources to be spoilt; they might learn to appreciate this beautiful life they've been fcuking gven without getting a fiver for their lunch everyday.

Yeah what's wrong with all these kids? Why can't they wallow in misery and have low expectations like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

will the recession change ireland? sure why not otherwise it wouldn't be a recession!

job losses
    luxury cafes serving coffee and some hand baked scone for 8euro will close
    hotels are fooked

finally prices are dropping. Suddenly peeople realise just how much companies were marking things up (fair play to em though).
    Home improvements will go up because suddenly people will realise a 3 year old house isnt that old after all and no need to move out.

Things are quiet which is nice when having a quiet pint in town rahter than a loada showoffs coming in flashing 50's at the bar man trying to be something their not *chip on shoulder*

People begin thinking of cheap feeds like coddle *nyom*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Will this recession change Ireland?

well maybe we'll revert back to being down to earth irish instead of middle class wannabe's with mid-atlantic accents:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

No.

the former greatly outnumbers the latter , an attitude of eat the rich permeates at nearly all levels right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Caco wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll make the youth of today respect what they have a little more... the celtic tiger ruined a generation of kids who were overly spoiled by their successful yuppy parents!

And yet there was a research thingy-bob they were talking about last week about how teens havn't really been affected by the R-word, they still buy the same clothes etc even though their parents have made cutbacks.
    :(

I was wondering that last year when it all kicked off, I asked my step dad. He said that Ireland will have experienced at least another boom and another crash by the time my kids are in their teens...that was depressing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

An investor once went to a farm in texas on some business to meet the owner.

A man in a check shirt, dusty jeans and boots in need of a good clean came to meet him.

The investor asked him "Do you know where the owner of this farm is?"

The man replied "I am the owner"

The investor could not get his head around the notion that this man in his tattered state could be the owner of such a vast fortune.

The man expalined to the investor "Here, in Texas, we have a saying "BIG HAT, NO CATTLE". I may not be wearing a pristine suit or driving a brand new pick up, but I am a very wealthy man"

During the Celtic Tiger years 1994 to 2007, our society (especially the middle classes) embraced the notion and ideals of materialism. The very idea that 'stuff' made us happier. Living the pop culture definition of being a millionaire on the industrial wage. We were sold a lifestyle of land rovers, 5 bed detached houses, tommy hilfiger, Jimmy Choo. We could have it all and we borrowed into it wholsesale.

The concept of 'keeping up with the joneses' was very much apparant. For example, people getting new cars every year so that the reg was the current year. What we realised now, was that the status symbols and the rampant materialism was all a facade. Financed primarily through credit. I believe that the 'must have it now' mentality will disappear quicker than the credit which funds it.

I hope that as a country we feel ashamed at the gaudiness of conspicuous consumption that we witnessed especially in this decade. I am not advocating that it's not right to own luxury things, but there's admiration for anyone who has worked hard and buys these things without credit as a justified reward.

We should be more focused on the health, education and development of our children.

It angers me that the government were spending vast amounts of money on vanity projects while this money could have been used more prudently on health and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

foxyboxer wrote: »
    For example, people getting new cars every year so that the reg was the current year. The proliferation of status symbols such as the Mercs, the gold rolexes, the country house etc were here too.
    Maybe I move in the wrong circles but I certainly never experienced that within my peer group. There were definitely excesses but certainly not to that extent, not in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

No.

This is just hysterical. I have heard similar rants all my life and it covers periods of time that many here obviously weren't around for. If you have ever seen a child give their opinion and it is apparent it is the parent's view you know the feeling I get from hearing this kind of stuff.

I am still waiting to see the liberal agenda that has been in play for the past 30 years. :p

Your not alone my father-in-law makes up his mind based on headlines too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Maybe now that the normal joe soap has seen the realities of dole queues and increased taxation to support them,people will no longer be blase about the existence of professional dole scroungers..you know..people who make more money on the dole than the average working stiff AND get everything paid for.
    This should've been adressed during the Celtic Tiger years but everybody thought as a country we could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

Yeah! who do these people think they are not being miserable all the time.

Bloody cheek......

Harldy EVER before in history were the conditions of living as brilliant in a country as they were during the boom years of his country.

Pre-civilisation human life consisted of waking up and procuring your sustinence for the day. They likely had some days with enough food to fill themselves and some days without. Were they miserable the whole time? I doubt it; otherwise our brains wouldn't have evolved an ability to let us laugh.

Civilised human life, for almost the entirity of its duration, consisted of absolute poverty for the majority and I doubt they went about in gloom the whole time.

So why should our little darling Celtic Tiger cubs be insulated from cradle to grave from having to ever live through conditions of financial or material scarcity? Fcuk them. (I should also say that it would be naive to compare the, still, absolutely great living conditions we enjoy in this first world country today, to the conditions of years gone by but people in this country seem to still think we have it unbelievably bad :rolleyes:)

I'm not saying that ALL teenagers who lived through the boom have no concept of what its like to not have what they want or to not have a job at the ready, but in fairness, the mental reserve and self-motivation of a lot of teenagers in the last decade in this country has become flabby. Even sitting in school I noticed that people were dozy as hell and showed no incentive, because they were used to having stuff handed to it on a plate.

Hopefully they'll discover that life owes them fcuking nothing and the'll be better for it in the long run.

Oh, and if the cubs are miserable cause they dont have money for clothes, a car, going out or drinking, well boo-fcuking-hoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Kipperhell wrote: »
    This is just hysterical. I have heard similar rants all my life and it covers periods of time that many here obviously weren't around for. If you have ever seen a child give their opinion and it is apparent it is the parent's view you know the feeling I get from hearing this kind of stuff.

I am still waiting to see the liberal agenda that has been in play for the past 30 years. :p

Bugs post was abit hysterical but there is some truth to it. Anyone could see that economic prosperity went to the politicians heads. It was a policy of spend spend spend. I dont blame them though. They are representatives of the people, chosen by the people, from among the people. They were just doing what the electorate wanted - which during the boom years amounted to spending more and more money as well as taking more and more people out of the tax net.

The problem in Ireland is a cultural thing. We were "new money" and we didnt know how to handle it. I know the same thing has happened across the globe but theres no denying we wouldnt be staring into the economic abyss of such an enormous national deficit, if it wasnt for the stupid policy making and the constant buying of votes by Fianna Fail.

I dont think it will change anything really. As long as tribal political party politics and fat bonuses for bank exexcutives exists, we will eventually always come back to bust again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

foxyboxer wrote: »
    An investor once went to a farm in texas on some business to meet the owner.

A man in a check shirt, dusty jeans and boots in need of a good clean came to meet him.

The investor asked him "Do you know where the owner of this farm is?"

The man replied "I am the owner"

The investor could not get his head around the notion that this man in his tattered state could be the owner of such a vast fortune.

The man expalined to the investor "Here, in Texas, we have a saying "BIG HAT, NO CATTLE". I may not be wearing a pristine suit or driving a brand new pick up, but I am a very wealthy man"

During the Celtic Tiger years 1994 to 2007, our society (especially the middle classes) embraced the notion and ideals of materialism. The very idea that 'stuff' made us happier. Living the pop culture definition of being a millionaire on the industrial wage. We were sold a lifestyle of land rovers, 5 bed detached houses, tommy hilfiger, Jimmy Choo. We could have it all and we borrowed into it wholsesale.

The concept of 'keeping up with the joneses' was very much apparant. For example, people getting new cars every year so that the reg was the current year. The proliferation of status symbols such as the Mercs, the gold rolexes, the country house etc were here too. What we realised now, was that the status symbols and the rampant materialism was all a facade. Financed primarily through credit. I believe that the 'must have it now' mentality will disappear quicker than the credit which funds it.

I hope that as a country we feel ashamed at the gaudiness of conspicuous consumption that we witnessed especially in this decade. I am not advocating that it's not right to own luxury things, but there's admiration for anyone who has worked hard and buys these things without credit as a justified reward.

We should be more focused on the health, education and development of our children.

It angers me that the government were spending vast amounts of money on vanity projects while this money could have been used more prudently on health and education.

the goverment spent a fortune on health and education during the boom , its just the money ended up in the bank account of nurses , doctors and teachers

our health and education sectors were malfunded not underfunded

Kipperhell wrote: »

You make a lot of assumptions in that post. All of them are incorrect.

At best, if you had said I was deeply pessimistic about the situation, you might have some basis.

Your father in law may get a good deal at specsavers, I believe small print is hard to read for some.
    You never know it could be another assumption, perhaps all he can read is the headlines. Me, I've good sight and read a number of news sources. So rest assurred, I keep myself informed with the small print.

I'm sorry my opinion irks you. I base it on what I've seen and read for myself rather than heard.

As for the liberal agenda, I don't see where you got the last thirty years from, "new wave" doesn't imply that.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    where do you fit on this spectrum?

I sit snugly in the corner of "no balls" anatomically speaking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

what recession is this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Harldy EVER before in history were the conditions of living as brilliant in a country as they were during the boom years of his country.

Pre-civilisation human life consisted of waking up and procuring your sustinence for the day. They likely had some days with enough food to fill themselves and some days without. Were they miserable the whole time? I doubt it; otherwise our brains wouldn't have evolved an ability to let us laugh.

Civilised human life, for almost the entirity of its duration, consisted of absolute poverty for the majority and I doubt they went about in gloom the whole time.

So why should our little darling Celtic Tiger cubs be insulated from cradle to grave from having to ever live through conditions of financial or material scarcity? Fcuk them. (I should also say that it would be naive to compare the, still, absolutely great living conditions we enjoy in this first world country today, to the conditions of years gone by but people in this country seem to still think we have it unbelievably bad :rolleyes:)

I'm not saying that ALL teenagers who lived through the boom have no concept of what its like to not have what they want or to not have a job at the ready, but in fairness, the mental reserve and self-motivation of a lot of teenagers in the last decade in this country has become flabby. Even sitting in school I noticed that people were dozy as hell and showed no incentive, because they were used to having stuff handed to it on a plate.

Hopefully they'll discover that life owes them fcuking nothing and the'll be better for it in the long run.

Oh, and if the cubs are miserable cause they dont have money for clothes, a car, going out or drinking, well boo-fcuking-hoo

Very, very bitter post. Shocking to me that one can be so angry and bitter about this particular issue. Big fcuking deal if people enjoy material things. Jesus man, one of the most begrudging posts I've ever read on boards, and that's saying something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Very, very bitter post. Shocking to me that one can be so angry and bitter about this particular issue. Big fcuking deal if people enjoy material things. Jesus man, one of the most begrudging posts I've ever read on boards, and that's saying something!

Yes, well I feel pretty damn sick even thinking of my generation. Seriously though, I fcuking absolutely despise the super sweet 16 generation of Irish people who think they are from the West Coast of America. They're not. I want hem to know they're trying to live in a fantasy world. D4 accents and expensive clothes don't suit Irish people, and neither do 7 euro sandwiches for that matter. The last decade was a fcuking GOLDEN AGE in this country; it was ABSOLUTELY ABNORMAL, not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Yes, well I feel pretty damn sick even thinking of my generation. Seriously though, I fcuking absolutely despise the super sweet 16 generation of Irish people who think they are from the West Coast of America. They're not. I want hem to know they're trying to live in a fantasy world. D4 accents and expensive clothes don't suit Irish people, and neither do 7 euro sandwiches for that matter. The last decade was a fcuking GOLDEN AGE in this country; it was ABSOLUTELY ABNORMAL, not the norm.

Meh, there's no such thing as 'suiting irish people'. People are people. Irish people can't be defined by one mass stereotype. I'm Irish. Don't tell me what suits me please.

If you're all for a return to the good old days of mass emigration and widespread poverty then that's your prerogative, it isn't a prospect I'd relish though. Expensive clothes don't suit Irish people?! Simply lol. Let's go back to the better times, a non secular state and negative, backwards views galore. But hey, at least the cute hoor peasants knew their place as Irish people! It's what suited us!

By the way, I hate that programme too, it sucks. Couldn't give a toss about someone's accent though. To be honest, fcuk what used to be the norm. Didn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

you're an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

fcussen wrote: »
    you're an idiot

Round here we don't take too kindly to the old personal abuse. Please don't do it again or I will ban you.

Advertisement