Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this recession change Ireland?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Will this Recession change Ireland?

If so how? Will change be positive or negative, or both?

Do we hope or want things to change, or do we just need to figure out how to get back some sort of Celtic Tiger economy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The recession started over a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There'll be recession's; there'll be booms.

Overall, this one hasn't/won't change things much. People might become a little bit tighter though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

God I hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hopefully it will make people think twice about charging or paying €7 for a cup of coffee.

I have thought for a long time that what was needed in Ireland was a good, deep recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yep! I have went from short term unemployed to long term unemployed in the space of a year having never been out of work before!

I figure thats my mind much fcuked up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

Theres a recession in Ireland? First i heard..

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Hopefully it'll make the youth of today respect what they have a little more... the celtic tiger ruined a generation of kids who were overly spoiled by their successful yuppy parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hopefully it will make people think twice about charging or paying €7 for a cup of coffee.

I have thought for a long time that what was needed in Ireland was a good, deep recession.
    Paid €9 for a cup of coffee outside the Hotel Paris in Monte Carlo five years ago, and €10 outside Hotel Mecinatte Palace in Rome three ish years ago. Sometimes the atmosphere makes it worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 skooby

its a good thing. it will kill off this credit culture we have in ireland. everyone wanted everything today but didnt want to pay for it for months (if ever) the emphasis shifted from the cash customer being more important to the man who could run up the biggest accounts getting the best prices and best service. developers were treated like kings and now where are they. shafted everyone and walked away. their pockets are stilled lined with gold while the staff/customers/suppliers they left behind and left to suffer. this country has laws to protect these people in limited company while the average joe soap that is left behind can lose everything.
    when the dust settles and the economy returns to normality (2012-13) people will be a bit more wary of who they trust. at present people are just digging the holes deeper because these limited liability men are not phased by threats of forced liquidation. in reality it would be a blessing to most of them.
    so to answer your question the recession will be a good thing in the long term. but if 2009 was a bad year be prepared for 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

What's this "recession" you peasants are on about????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You're asking a group of people that couldn't predict the recession to predict the future? Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Paid €9 for a cup of coffee outside the Hotel Paris in Monte Carlo five years ago, and €10 outside Hotel Mecinatte Palace in Rome three ish years ago. Sometimes the atmosphere makes it worth it.

Proving PT Barnums olad adage ...

There's a Sucker born every minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Caco wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll make the youth of today respect what they have a little more... the celtic tiger ruined a generation of kids who were overly spoiled by their successful yuppy parents!

But you see most of them were not successful at all....it was all an illusion of wealth. (waves hands in spooky fashion)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Proving PT Barnums olad adage ...

There's a Sucker born every minute.
    Naw, I gulp it, I never suck it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

Yes, it will change Ireland for the better. A mentality has been built up in this country over the last few years that life is meant to be good and that its the norm for their to be enough resources for everybody. Hopefully this recession will be a kick in the spine for these **** and make them realise that they're wrong. Hopefully the teenagers in the next decade won't have enough financial resources to be spoilt; they might learn to appreciate this beautiful life they've been fcuking gven without getting a fiver for their lunch everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I just hope people learn to think before they act especially when it comes to borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Yeah, there will be less young people in Ireland as more realise that this country is going to be in the **** for a long time and pack their bags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The default setting for an irishman is digging ditches in the rain and grumbling about the weather and the english. We'll just return to that and we'll be happy again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It hasnt really affected me or my friends too much and i cant see it really having that big an effect in the future. I never had money to spend anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

One positive thing I have noticed in recent times is that customer service has improved massively in most places. I'm not one to put up with ignorant staff anywhere, if you don't appreciate my business i'll take it elsewhere, but places that were ok before are now full of chat and eager to help etc. They're probably more aware of how quickly they'd be replaced for one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Will people start moaning now about the rich getting poorer? I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

The celtic tiger can get fcuked. The less yummy mummies driving from their house to Superquinn in land rovers the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Fair enough, but I was charged €6.00 for a cup of coffee in fooking Tullamore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

you have it back to front , due to thier redicolous pay demands , we have a generation of spoiled parents who will ruin thier childrens future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fair enough, but I was charged €6.00 for a cup of coffee in fooking Tullamore!!

€6.00 for a cup of Coffee in BIFFOLand? That's just regular coffee? They didn't put whiskey in it or something?

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yes, it will change Ireland for the better. A mentality has been built up in this country over the last few years that life is meant to be good and that its the norm for their to be enough resources for everybody. Hopefully this recession will be a kick in the spine for these **** and make them realise that they're wrong. Hopefully the teenagers in the next decade won't have enough financial resources to be spoilt; they might learn to appreciate this beautiful life they've been fcuking gven without getting a fiver for their lunch everyday.

Yeah! who do these people think they are not being miserable all the time.

Bloody cheek......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It'll make the youth of today respect what they have a little more, and if they think that they haven't got enough, they will resort to burglary and gbh

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Caoimhín wrote: »

damn straight.

ideally this whole recession phenonemon will bring back some sort of quality and raise standards in our economy and society.

it probably wont though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

not a chance.i seriously doubt that will people give a damn if a meteor is crushing on this island -

people just dont give a damn.

at some point,i feel that this is the only nation which actually enjoy recession.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Is that why you're poor?

Advertisement