Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Well Harringtons group was probably a bad example, not sure if Stensons group lost ground or not but as Stenson said, the last couple groups are going to be slow on a Sunday evening, he seems to believe they were being hurried up so that they wouldn't delay the tv coverage, which if true is disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"? C'mon, TV is the medium through which a very large chunk of the prize money, sponsorship deals, endorsements and other goodies are generated and disbursed. It is hardly unreasonable for the host broadcaster to ask tournaments and the PGA to allow them stick to their schedules. Weekend tournament coverage is on the major networks, not dedicated sports channels and they have other sponsors, advertisers and programming commitments to deliver on Sunday Prime Time.
    It is just the reality of commercial sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

First Up wrote: »
    "Disgraceful"? C'mon, TV is the medium through which a very large chunk of the prize money, sponsorship deals, endorsements and other goodies are generated and disbursed. It is hardly unreasonable for the host broadcaster to ask tournaments and the PGA to allow them stick to their schedules. Weekend tournament coverage is on the major networks, not dedicated sports channels and they have other sponsors, advertisers and programming commitments to deliver on Sunday Prime Time.
    It is just the reality of commercial sport.

I'd agree if they had lost 10 or 20 minutes but is 2 or 3 really going to matter, they should not be under that tight a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

To be fair, when the second last group finished their round Stenson still had two holes to play. That does point towards quite a slow round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

To be fair, when the second last group finished their round Stenson still had two holes to play. That does point towards quite a slow round.

Two holes is a bit, they should have been on or close to the 18th tee in fairness.

These pro's need to lead by example, I played my home course a few weeks back at pace and solo, 2hr 42min, 3ball usually takes 3.5hrs and 4ball just over 4hrs, played on Saturday in a society outing and it took 4.5hrs purely because it was a society outing and with folk taking their time, this is rubbish, get to your ball quickly and stop strolling and the game will be a lot quicker, another thread maybe...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Two holes is a bit, they should have been on or close to the 18th tee in fairness.

These pro's need to lead by example, I played my home course a few weeks back at pace and solo, 2hr 42min, 3ball usually takes 3.5hrs and 4ball just over 4hrs, played on Saturday in a society outing and it took 4.5hrs purely because it was a society outing and with folk taking their time, this is rubbish, get to your ball quickly and stop strolling and the game will be a lot quicker, another thread maybe...

I really don't think they can lead by example, they are playing for huge amounts of money in one of the biggest tour events of the season. To put the final group on the clock on a Sunday evening with a few holes to go because of pressure from the tv companies is madness.

• Advertisement

I really don't think they can lead by example, they are playing for huge amounts of money in one of the biggest tour events of the season. To put the final group on the clock on a Sunday evening with a few holes to go because of pressure from the tv companies is madness.

They could always let the broadcaster go off air and deduct the consequent few million in reduced tv fee from the prize fund. That might hurry them up.

They could always let the broadcaster go off air and deduct the consequent few million in reduced tv fee from the prize fund. That might hurry them up.

It's a golf event, do the broadcasters not know that play doesn't always run perfectly to their time schedule, what do they do if play is delayed by weather or goes to a play off? Yes, we all hate slow play, it's not a new thing, what were they actually going to gain putting the final group on the clock for the final few holes though?

It's a golf event, do the broadcasters not know that play doesn't always run perfectly to their time schedule, what do they do if play is delayed by weather or goes to a play off? Yes, we all hate slow play, it's not a new thing, what were they actually going to gain putting the final group on the clock for the final few holes though?

The broadcaster was going to another programme that very likely had a larger audience (eg. a basketball game) and therefore a lot more financial exposure. It isn't the tv company's problem; the deal with the PGA was for coverage from time A to time B. It is the PGA's job to deliver within that. They may well have been told in advance that coverage would end at the agreed time and if that left players on the course, any loss of advertising would result in a fee reduction. It is a tough business and money talks.
    It is tough on the last few groups but maybe they should have put some people on the clock earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It is tough on the last few groups but maybe they should have put some people on the clock earlier.

Or maybe there should be a shot clock for every shot... in every round... for every player. Never going to happen but one can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Why didn't they start the final round earlier? The last group went out at 2pm US time. Seems very late in the day. If they just went out an hour earlier they could avoid conflicting with basketball games or whatever else.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Or maybe there should be a shot clock for every shot... in every round... for every player. Never going to happen but one can dream.

The time allowed is clearly stated and is supposed to be the same for everyone (as it should be.). First player has 50 seconds, the others 40 seconds. All groups are supposed to be monitored but in practice it only happens when it is apparent they are holding up those behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭ronjo

I see the players are getting destroyed in Texas.

Currently one person at -1 and 4 at Level par out of 70.

GMac withdrew after 9 holes with a leg problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

ronjo wrote: »
    I see the players are getting destroyed in Texas.

Currently one person at -1 and 4 at Level par out of 70.

GMac withdrew after 9 holes with a leg problem.

D A Points +15 after 16 . 6 bogeys, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 quad. 7 pars
    Unreal & there are many other tales of woe too!

D A Points +15 after 16 . 6 bogeys, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 quad. 7 pars
    Unreal & there are many other tales of woe too!

Good news for D A' fans, add a birdie to the list, he's now only +14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

anyone just see that Master's ad? Gank!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Why is it so hard - what is wind and weather like ?

Some of the hole lengths are a joke. (long)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Mickleson never ceases to entertain!!!

Very windy this morning,and cold,not one of the morning half of the draw broke par, +6 average score,weather a bit kinder for the afternoon half, scoring a good deal better.

Pitch mark or spike mark repair...... Could be in trouble if the latter

https://instagram.com/p/0tZGPTGg2O/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Aaron Baddeley went out of bounds with tee shot on the 337 yard par 4 17th. Tees it up again...holes out for a birdie 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Why is it so hard - what is wind and weather like ?

Some of the hole lengths are a joke. (long)

This kind of thing Fix:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

qwabercd wrote: »
    Aaron Baddeley went out of bounds with tee shot on the 337 yard par 4 17th. Tees it up again...holes out for a birdie 3!

Amazing, thought it was a glitch on shot tracker till I read this...

http://www.pgatour.com/the-upshot/2015/03/26/round-one-valero-texas-open.html

ShotTracker336yardbirdie-847.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Pitch mark or spike mark repair...... Could be in trouble if the latter

https://instagram.com/p/0tZGPTGg2O/

Id be concerned about the re positioning of his ball after marking it also.......

Cant believe it hasn't been investigated

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Id be concerned about the re positioning of his ball after marking it also.......

Cant believe it hasn't been investigated
    Yea very dodge, whatever about the "spike mark" probably not on his line anyway, there does seem to be a slight of hand going on with the ball marker.

Yea very dodge, whatever about the "spike mark" probably not on his line anyway, there does seem to be a slight of hand going on with the ball marker.

Probably not on his line? Are ya serious? He taps down his putter directly in front of his marker which is directly in line with a short putt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

The camera is a hand held one and moves to the left as the footage goes on. I think that's what makes it look like he replaced it closer to the hole.

Also looks like whatever he tapped down was to the left of his line as he looked at it.

Player has to get the benefit of the doubt in both instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

If it wasn't on his line then why tap it down at all??
    Why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Looks proper dodgy, and when saying it wasn't on his line, remember every putt isn't dead straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Benefit of the doubt lads. He's a professional athlete sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Probably not on his line? Are ya serious? He taps down his putter directly in front of his marker which is directly in line with a short putt.
    Keep your shirt on, I said probably and just to be clear my post was not defending his actions
    If it wasn't on his line then why tap it down at all??
    Why??
    You're right there is no reason ever until everyone in that group has holed out, I say throw the book at the c**t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement