Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimmens jobs

Options
  • 19-09-2008 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Today and yesterday there were threads posted here that were asking for a woman's knowledge of housekeeping. (zaph quickly pushed them along). Does it bother you that this sort of thing is still considered a woman's job? Do you think that attitude is widespread, or would it bother you if your significant other expected you to do the cleaning, cooking, or whatever? Thoughts ladies?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I've been independent since 18, so lads, if you visit our boat, clean up after yourselves when using the toilet, pitch in washing the dishes, and if you stay over, don't expect Cinful or I to wash your boxers (unless you make it worth our while.... ha!).:cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Today and yesterday there were threads posted here that were asking for a woman's knowledge of housekeeping. (zaph quickly pushed them along). Does it bother you that this sort of thing is still considered a woman's job? Do you think that attitude is widespread, or would it bother you if your significant other expected you to do the cleaning, cooking, or whatever? Thoughts ladies?
    Not a lady! :p ... but fwiw traditional "gender roles" have feck all to do with what chores I'll do in the house, yielding rather to my own tolerance or hatred of certain tasks. I'll cook relatively cheerfully; I will clean provided something is actually dirty; but hand me a hot iron, and you're just begging to be branded with it on the traditional right hindquarter! ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Do you think that attitude is widespread, or would it bother you if your significant other expected you to do the cleaning, cooking, or whatever?
    If he "expected" me to do everything, it would be a dealbreaker. I wouldn't expect him to do everything, either. But if two adults live together they should both be able to clean up like adults. In my ideal relationship there would be no such thing as a woman's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

PillyPen wrote: »
    In my ideal relationship there would be no such thing as a woman's job.

Absolutely. There would just be, the stuff I like to do, and the stuff you like to do. And then the stuff that neither of us like to do, but which we do together because it needs to be done, and a problem shared etc.

The flip side is that I don't find it offensive that someone assumes I know how to do a traditionally female gender-related housework task. I don't think anyone should ever be criticised for asking a question of another person. If I know the answer I'll tell you. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't matter if that relates to housework or car maintenance.

Where any bloke will fall down with me is by assuming that the housework is entirely my job.

...nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My parents raised 4 daughers and a son and we all had household chores.
    Where there was some rebellian from my brother he was told his hand were the same as hers and the rest of us and if she was good enough to clean the toilet so was he.
    My Dad was raised the same way being one of ten they all learned to pitch in and do what was needed. I am raising my kids the same way.

Asking me if I know how to do X is fine, presuming that I so/will is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nothing turns me off more than a slobby man who doesn't lift a finger around the house. There's no way I would bring up my Sons to expect someone else (especially a Woman) to clean up after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

No way would I be willing to do everything. It's not the way I was brought up and it's simply unfair. Why would I have to clean after a guy while he doesn't have to lift a finger?? :confused:

Having said that, bf is a typical Irish mammy's boy, even though he takes offence when I say that. It is completely true. Sure, he'll do his fair share, but it is plain obvious he wasn't raised doing anything but hoovering, as that's the only thing he does properly. And he takes great pride in it! Yeah, girls, we all know how utterly difficult it is to get the hoovering right... :rolleyes:

So, in short, one of the main arguments in my relationship is chores. Not so much who does them, but who does them properly. No point doing the dishes when half of them need to be done again! I should add that we officially go 'my turn - your turn'. But there is officially and normally... Grrr.

Nothing worse then having to fix or do over cleaning after someone has done it and wasn't arsed doing it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I dont mind once its not used in a patronising way
    I would clean the house myself - as I can be abit fussy, but men dont seem to understand or have different levels of what is dirty.
    I hate ironing and BF would do this but would have to point out mountain of clothes in the corner and nothing in the wardrobes. If I didnt it would just sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

LouOB wrote: »
    men dont seem to understand or have different levels of what is dirty.

+1

I genuinely think a lot of men don't see dirt/mess in the same way we do. A lot of them miss out on the concept of clean, but that said some men are like new pins. I suppose maybe the same can be said for a lot of women.

When I had my house for sale the guy who was renting a room promised he would clean his room up for viewings. Now, I didn't insist on this, but was relieved as I was aware that his room was a tip. So he spends hours cleaning the room, brags about what a job he's done and brings me in to show me.......the place was still manky. He had tidied, but it still needed to be cleaned and hoovered and dusted. Anyway, I said nothing, because it was his room and his business.

Out of sight is not out of mind, and I'm no Bree Van De Camp!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Wimmenz with jobs? Dont make me laugh! :pac:

GrumPy banned for 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

if there are no gender specific roles why do i constantly find myself trapping spiders in a glass and releasing them out the window, going downstairs in the night if the OH imagines she heard something, changing plugs and lightbulbs, lifting things, carving roasts etc?
    in fairness i am also a damn fine cook and a wizard with an iron...

I remove the spiders in this house and have changed light bulbs and will go out in the dark with my hockey stick. As for carving roasts other then my Dad I have never cohabited with a man who knew how.

if there are no gender specific roles why do i constantly find myself trapping spiders in a glass and releasing them out the window, going downstairs in the night if the OH imagines she heard something, changing plugs and lightbulbs, lifting things, carving roasts etc?

Because your girlfriend does everything else? :p

if there are no gender specific roles why do i constantly find myself trapping spiders in a glass and releasing them out the window ...
    Lol, in fairness I'll go with you on this one ... not saying EVERY woman is the same, Thaed, but it does tend this way in all honesty.

I have been hauled out of my bed at 3 in the morning, shoved into her car, and brought back to her flat to take a spider out of the bath so she could have a pee! (And no, before anyone says it, she doesn't pee in the bath! :p)

And you went and did it, love is....

Tend, tends to be the issue, a lot of the time when a couple move in it is the woman who tends to end up cleaning the toilet and doing the other niggly and back ground cleaning chores.

I've had the arguement about why I 'never' emptied the kitchen bin or the other bins in the house or put the bins out for collection.
    Told him I'd trade him for cleaning the toilet and scrubbing the bath room he stuck with the bins.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    And you went and did it, love is....
    Lol, true! :o
    Tend, tends to be the issue, a lot of the time when a couple move in it is the woman who tends to end up cleaning the toilet and doing the other niggly and back ground cleaning chores.

I've had the arguement about why I 'never' emptied the kitchen bin or the other bins in the house or put the bins out for collection.
    Told him I'd trade him for cleaning the toilet and scrubbing the bath room he stuck with the bins.
    No problem doing either, tbh. If it needs cleaning (because it looks dirty or, as in the above example, even if it doesn't you know damn well it needs it anyway) ... no problem.

People who clean something every day because it's on "the list" (e.g. polishing mirrors / wood EVERY day? :confused:) confuse the hell out of me, and I'm afraid I would rebel like hell if ever asked to do that.

And ironing!! Ironing is an invention of Satan's more evil brother! Hell to me would be perpetual ironing! :mad:

I've gotten to the stage where I shop for clothes at least partly on their ability to get by without being ironed! :D

Some thing if done every day take a few seconds and it's just easier on the long run,
    but polishing ever day ? pff

Ah um eh ironing... whats that ?
    I don't buy things that need to be ironed, fold things as they come out of the drier or fold
    them off the washing line and into the hot press and tbh they don't need to be ironed.

Think the last time the iron was used in this house was 4 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

And ironing!! Ironing is an invention of Satan's more evil brother! Hell to me would be perpetual ironing! :mad:

I've gotten to the stage where I shop for clothes at least partly on their ability to get by without being ironed! :D

Here's a great poem, Shirts by Marianne Burke.
    There was no poetry waiting for my mother
    in the week’s worth of shirts.
    Her arm would travel a long way,
    steering the small boat of the iron
    on a slow, repetitive journey up
    and down the backs of my father’s shirts,
    the narrow channels of his sleeves,
    while “As the World Turns” was on the TV.
    She never asked for help, though I wanted
    to give it; instead she ordered me
    outside to play, saying I’d have to
    do this work soon enough someday—
    she didn’t want a mother’s little helper.
    I’m grateful to her for that, and for
    other freedoms she was never granted, like
    sleeping with a man who is not your husband.
    This morning, I watch from bed as you iron
    your white shirt, pleased that such
    an important thing as woman’s work
    does not come between us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah um eh ironing... whats that ?
    I don't buy things that need to be ironed, fold things as they come out of the drier or fold
    them off the washing line and into the hot press and tbh they don't need to be ironed.

Ironing service ftw :D

Tis only work shirts I have that need ironing, they drive me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lol, true! :o
    No problem doing either, tbh. If it needs cleaning (because it looks dirty or, as in the above example, even if it doesn't you know damn well it needs it anyway) ... no problem.

People who clean something every day because it's on "the list" (e.g. polishing mirrors / wood EVERY day? :confused:) confuse the hell out of me, and I'm afraid I would rebel like hell if ever asked to do that.

I'll do your ironing if you clean the bathroom for me! (ironing is my favourite chore :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Well, some people really take ironing to new extremes. My future mother-in-law even irons underwear! :eek: Whatever next?

I don't see the point in ironing anything but really important things like a shirt for a job interview etc. If you put your stuff on the washing line, they don't need ironing anyway, unless your name is Bree Van De Kamp (or you're my future mother-in-law).

Some thing if done every day take a few seconds and it's just easier on the long run,
    but polishing ever day ? pff
    will I get banned if I say there's only one thing I'm prepared to polish every day ... >_>
    What did he do? :pac:
    PillyPen wrote: »
    Here's a great poem, Shirts by Marianne Burke.
    :)

In fairness, my mother LOVED ironing, she found it very relaxing, would set herself up in front of the tv and iron for hours!

Hated cooking though, though she was quite ok at it. She never minded who came into the house, just don't ask her to cook for them! There were nights when the whole gang ended up sleeping (collapsing!) all over the house to the point where she would have to step over them in the morning, and she would just laugh ... BUT "cook for yourselves or get a frigging takeaway!! :mad:"

Actually, I can remember college friends sitting drinking tea in our kitchen in their boxers because she had decided whatever they were wearing need washing, and ordered them to strip (well, that was her excuse, anyway! :D) ... and of course everything was returned perfectly ironed!! :rolleyes: They still had to make their own tea though ... :pac:
    I'll do your ironing if you clean the bathroom for me! (ironing is my favourite chore :) )
    Weirdo!! :p

(Done deal, though!!)
    F.A. wrote: »
    My future mother-in-law even irons underwear! :eek:
    0_o

Any woman that ever puts an iron anywhere near my boxers ... :mad:

But if I like ironing, and yore ma likes ironing, and you think I'm a weirdo for liking ironing, does that make yore ma a weirdo??? :eek: and is she single? And when are you coming over to clean the bathroom? Bring an ironing board, we don't have one here atm...

What did he do? :pac:

He ironed a shirt with it as he wanted to wear it going out.
    Never said I was the last one to use the iron :)
    Any woman that ever puts an iron anywhere near my boxers ... :mad:

lollers, never had them starched and ironed then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'll do your ironing (ironing is my favourite chore :) )

you should set up an ironing service business :D

Did you just mention yore ma as opposed to Yore Ma's in here??

ZAPH???? ZAPH???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've been doing that for years :D I suspect a lot of people do.

I had to regularly rescue my ex from killer spiders. And if something went bump in the night well, I'd trust the dogs to alert me to it.

I have to confess I am absolutely terrible at house work. Awful :( I like to cook and I go on cleaning and clearing rampages every so often. But general tidiness is not my strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

It doesn't particularly bother me if a man asks for help with a household job, take for example tonight my brother asked me does he cook onions or mushrooms first, and what the correct way to chop an onion is. But if someone takes the, "You're a girl, you do it." attitude in a serious manner, then he'd probably find my knee in his crotch.

• Advertisement

nouggatti wrote: »
    you should set up an ironing service business :D

Did you just mention yore ma as opposed to Yore Ma's in here??

ZAPH???? ZAPH???????????

Lolz I think if I was doing it regularly I would get bored quickly. Although if I was doing it in return for sexy favours it'd be worth it...and no I was referring to randy's ma, not Yore Ma!!!

Advertisement