Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have pets but don't / rarely interact with them

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Secret Lives of Dogs on channel 4 at 8.00,dealing with overweight dogs,for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

kneemos wrote: »
    Secret Lives of Dogs on channel 4 at 8.00,dealing with overweight dogs,for those interested.

Its not just about obese dogs but will be fascinating. Should be compulsory viewing for anyone who has or wants a dog.

Would also like to add a compulsory bop around the chops for anyone who still subscribes to "alpha" or "dominant" theories as well but thats a whole other argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

TheZohan wrote: »
    Do you own a bulldog, pug or KC? I bet you don't.

Because me owning one magically makes all their genetic diseases and susceptibility disappear, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I 100% agree that animal welfare is important and that people should care for their pets properly, but IMO, people can get a bit crazy sometimes when it comes to animals.

I recall a thread on here one time where the question posed was something like "Would you rather see a random human or random animal suffer", and there were seriously people arguing that they would rather see a human suffer

People can get a bit crazy over just about anything.
    I work with animals and people who have animals and the level of ignorance about animal care in this country is shocking. I'm not even talking about horses in gardens, more like professional well educated people who know everything about everything, won't listen to advice and do the same wrong things over and over again.
    I think it's great any time animal welfare topics get raised because we could all learn something. So comments like yours annoy me actually because they just distract from the real issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'll sum up our animal welfare laws with the story of the sea eagles. We got them from Norway and some of them were poisoned by farmers and shot by various people along the way. These endangered animals have been killed again and again and nothing has been done about it.

The laws aren't the problem, it's getting the proof of who did it. I was at a conference on wildlife crime last year and this came up a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I can't stand the whole keeping pets as accessories thing. A friend of mine has a dog that literally spends all day inside in the apartment, and my friend works fairly long hours so often wouldn't be home till 9 or 10 at night. Ask him about it and he'll just say that the dog sleeps about 17 hours a day so it doesn't matter. No sh¡t, what else is it going to do? The poor yoke's gone out of its mind with boredom too, I know from keeping dogs myself that it's cracked, but my friend doesn't know any different. And the same lad reckons I'm wrong for keeping my dogs outside in a (warm, insulated) shed, despite the fact they have a garden, each other's company, and get outside for an hour a day minimum for a run and \ or a swim in the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about the owner who dress there dogs in little outfits and dress's and put jewellery on the them and are convinced the dogs love it, has anyone seen that program I think its a form of animal abuse,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Clap. So your reasoning is that every human is someone's family member? Fair enough, I'd expect a little more thorough an answer from someone who seems so convicted on the subject matter, but it'll do.

So you would kill your dog to save Anders Breivik if it came to it? Because he has a family? Do you not consider your pets to be adopted into your family? Or are they 'adopted' in the same sense as a toaster is adopted?

You have to be joking.

I adore dog's. I'm a big dog person. but if it came down to it I would kill 100 dogs, personally, if it meant saving one human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Because me owning one magically makes all their genetic diseases and susceptibility disappear, is it?

No, but actually knowing the breeds might help you get some hands on experience of what they're really like, don't believe the sensationalist crap that the media comes out with. I've had one of the dogs you've mentioned for over 6 years and have never had any health issues with him, friends own a couple of the breeds you've mentioned and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

TheZohan wrote: »
    No, but actually knowing the breeds might help you get some hands on experience of what they're really like, don't believe the sensationalist crap that the media comes out with. I've had one of the dogs you've mentioned for over 6 years and have never had any health issues with him, friends own a couple of the breeds you've mentioned and no issues.

Your experience doesn't really change the fact that some breeds do suffer from diseases and issues from over breeding.

We have a King Charles and he is an absolute dote, real family dog and typical of the breed. He is 4 now and we have noticed over the last few months that he is sometimes having issues with his back legs when he is jumping up on the couch or into the car. He isn't in any pain but we are aware that KCs can suffer from hip dysplasia so its something we and his vet are monitoring.

Just because you haven't had any issues so far doesn't mean your dog won't show symptoms in the future. I know there is a lot of scaremongering out there but if you are aware of any potential issues, you might spot symptoms sooner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement