Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jurassic World

Options

Comments

Plus 3 had Michael Jeter, even if for a short while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think I enjoyed JP3 more than the first two films.

(Now I should rewatch it to see if I still think that, before ye maul me for even saying such a thing)

I recently watched The Lost World again, and I didn't think it was great the first time I saw it, I was quite disappointed with it at the time. I didn't think much of it rewatching it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just aswell they made jp3 when they did. If they'd made it last year it's of been an iphone and it never would've been ringing after been in dino Shiite
    Or a spinosaurus was doing selfies with it. :D

Happy birthday Ellie (Laura Dern's Bday today)

and mine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They clearly wanted to match the plot hole from the first film about where the feck that big chasm came from!

Real answer: I read somewhere that there was meant to be a scene where Raptors got onto the ship and killed the crew, then got eaten by the rex. It was scrapped and they stuck to just to having the T-Rex on the boat but somehow forgot about the dead crew.

Also read this. Was an absolutely "what the, how the?" A T-rex able to meander throughout tight hallways and rooms, without there being any exterior damage to the boat?

If I recall in the book
    Grant the the kids spot dinosaurs on the boat that is heading out from the island. A large urgency from them getting back to contact with the rest of the characters is to warn them dinosaurs are on the boat, can't recall specifically if they were raptors or not. Maybe some epic mixup?

It was SO stupid, the whole film died a death when it went to the states unfortuantely. But I enjoy 2 and 3 for a viewing. I'd say I watch the trilogy once a year, always enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

recyclops wrote: »
    i enjoyed the birdcage bit from 3, was my favourite bit of the book and really glad they managed to fit it in

I read the book after I saw JP1, and also really enjoyed that part and it was maybe the best part of JP3. *Note to self: Put JP on Kindle.
    I recently watched The Lost World again, and I didn't think it was great the first time I saw it, I was quite disappointed with it at the time. I didn't think much of it rewatching it to be honest.

This is the problem with sequels. I enjoyed The Lost World. I read the book first, and enjoyed the book but the book had many faults. The movie was loosely based on the book but some artistic license was used and it improved, but it still had problems.

Jurassic Park, one of the highest grossing movies of all time. The Lost World, an enjoyable movie. JP3, load of ****e.

Not sure if its been done but might be an interesting thread. Sequels that were better than the original. The Wrath of Khan springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

syklops wrote: »

Not sure if its been done but might be an interesting thread. Sequels that were better than the original. The Wrath of Khan springs to mind.

I guess it would be down to subjective opinion.

While I adore Alien and Terminator, I've a personal preference for the sequels.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I guess it would be down to subjective opinion.

99% of this forum is down to subjective opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I always wonder why people get so worked up about plot holes on movies like Jurassic Park. It's a big dumb roller coaster ride, it's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

People who ponder plot holes, never seem to be able to enjoy the movies because of dissecting what after all is a fantasy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wedwood wrote: »
    I always wonder why people get so worked up about plot holes on movies like Jurassic Park. It's a big dumb roller coaster ride, it's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

People who ponder plot holes, never seem to be able to enjoy the movies because of dissecting what after all is a fantasy movie.

it doesn't matter if its a small plot hole in a quality movie but when you can fly the enterprise through the hole in an average movie it certainly deserves to be ripped apart. That the director / writers simply could not care enough to get around the plot hole in some format says a lot about the individual movie IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

syklops wrote: »
    99% of this forum is down to subjective opinion.

Don't really agree with you there. Percentage is off IMO.

pah wrote: »
    Don't really agree with you there. Percentage is off IMO.

By 1%?

pah wrote: »
    IMO.

Subjective???

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

For years I have been waiting on a Dinosaur film or JP reboot that would be at least a 15 rating. This story would make an excellent Sci-Fi horror. It should be violent and gory.

Once I saw the kids in the trailer, all hope has been lost :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For years I have been waiting on a Dinosaur film or JP reboot that would be at least a 15 rating. This story would make an excellent Sci-Fi horror. It should be violent and gory.

Once I saw the kids in the trailer, all hope has been lost :(

The days of studios actively seeking 15 certs or higher are gone. There is more money to be made with PG-13, it makes selling the brand much easier as they have a larger market, e.g. toys, games, etc.

Terminator is a fine example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Loughc wrote: »
    The days of studios actively seeking 15 certs or higher are gone. There is more money to be made with PG-13, it makes selling the brand much easier as they have a larger market, e.g. toys, games, etc.

Terminator is a fine example of this.

But R rated original films were the reason why they became cult, sequal spawning cash cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Well, I am glad they cleared that up. A load off my mind! Good to know predators appreciate the concept of mutual respect and understanding. :pac:
    According to Chris Pratt's Jurassic World character Owen Grady, he isn't actually controlling the Jurassic universe's scariest breed of dinosaur. "I don't control the raptors, it's a relationship based on mutual respect," he says in the clip

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/09/jurassic-world-clip-explains-raptor-taming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Falthyron wrote: »
    Well, I am glad they cleared that up. A load off my mind! Good to know predators appreciate the concept of mutual respect and understanding. :pac:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/09/jurassic-world-clip-explains-raptor-taming

"Didn't get 'em to do what I want. I let 'em to do what they want."

Not against Pratt being the Steve Irwin/Craig Busch type, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Falthyron wrote: »

That sounds terrible on the surface.

Though it mightn't be that bad in the context of the film/story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the problem here is they did such a good job in the 1st film in making the Raptors genuinley scary and terrifying , they were even looked upon more viscious than the T-Rex so the whole taming angle is going to be a very hard sell to fans of the franchise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

This movie would get my nod for the oscar if they just brought Tim back and had him eaten by a bunch of compys or something more painfully gruesome...hated that kid, most fruitless character of any movie ever. He's the reason I only gave the original a 9/10.

F**k Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gandalph wrote: »
    This movie would get my nod for the oscar if they just brought Tim back and had him eaten by a bunch of compys or something more painfully gruesome...hated that kid, most fruitless character of any movie ever. He's the reason I only gave the original a 9/10.

F**k Tim.

.... and his action figure came with a gimpy leg for some reason, could never get him to stand up straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

razorblunt wrote: »
    .... and his action figure came with a gimpy leg for some reason, could never get him to stand up straight!

Hahahahaha class post! Nostalgic and 100% true!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The latest trailer is up, and shows a lot more dinosaur action, along with shots and background of this new 'genetically modified' adversary. So I guess it's a spoiler'y trailer in some ways. I'm still really not sure what to think of this; the characterisation has looked pretty clichéd to a fault, and the amateur dino enthusiast does admit that the made-up dinosaur just seems ... needless!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The raptor thing is still bugging me to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are wholly CGI creatures ever scary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

"We're talking about an animal here."
    "A highly intelligent animal."
    The end of the movie will involve Chris Pratt talking with the Newo-saurus about resolving the crisis with diplomacy and concessions - His three raptor buddies through their strong bond and relationship with Pratt's character will act as mediators.

Metacritic rating: <45.
    User rating: <60.
    Box office: 400-600 million.

I will say one thing for Jurassic Park though: it looks better than Terminator Genisys... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Are wholly CGI creatures ever scary?

No. And they've lost their ability to impress as well. This looks like it could be cheesy fun, nothing more. I have a sneaking suspicion Pratt is going to develop a reputation for being annoying if he continues to take on all these fantasy/sf-based films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Still has potential, i wont be watching any more trailers though as that one gave away way too many things for my liking. What the hell is wrong with a little mystery these days, going into the cinema not knowing exactly what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was at the cinema on Fri night (to see FF7) and they showed a trailer for Jurassic World. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement