Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i just ordered a TPU and the slim hard case.

If you order from their website, use XDA as a redemption code for 10% off :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only got it last night but must say I'm very happy so far. Using this case and it feels like its barely there. Still a shame to hide the back of it though.

One thing I must mention is the maximum volume wasn't enough for me, I have crappy earphones and use them in a noisy environment. Got an app called volume+ and the free version let me increase it enough so that I don't have to buy new headphones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I haven't used a case on mine at all so far, had it since Christmas. I'd be tempted by the bugatti skinny xl coal pouch though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

maybe i'm being a bit dim, but does anyone know is it possible to:
    1/ reboot the phone, rather than powering it off and then on again?
    2/ modify the power control widget? I'd like to include mobile data, and i never use bluetooth

Thanks,
    MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MiCr0 wrote: »
    2/ modify the power control widget? I'd like to include mobile data, and i never use bluetooth

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Latest version of android only has power off or air plane mode, unlike earlier which also had reboot.

Have a look on the play store for power toggles, great widget and will allow you to customise which settings you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Power + Volume down with phone on only knocks it off and restarts it. You have to power down the phone to reboot/boot into recovery.

I haven't found a way of changing the widget,like yourself,i very rarely use Bluetooth and would love to substitute it for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

EGriff wrote: »
    Anybody rooted theirs yet? I'm thinking of getting it out of the way now so I don't lose months of data down the line.

Any way to make sure I don't lose my progress in games and stuff?

I'm currently debating it. Got the drivers installed and backed up my apps. Only thing stopping me is everything has been working really well so far so I'm afraid to mess with that. Really miss ad blocking though.

Check out XDA-Developers forums for instructions on how to root. Someone even made a toolkit to ease the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I'm currently debating it. Got the drivers installed and backed up my apps. Only thing stopping me is everything has been working really well so far so I'm afraid to mess with that. Really miss ad blocking though.

Check out XDA-Developers forums for instructions on how to root. Someone even made a toolkit to ease the process.

Yeah I rooted it with the Nexus 4 toolkit from XDA a few weeks ago. It was totally painless and playing games with the PS3 controller over bluetooth is pretty cool.

I'm thinking of trying the paranoid android rom with the on-screen buttons removed, but like you said I don't wanna mess things up, my desire really went downhill after I started putting roms on.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

Go for it.

I followed this guide. Quick, clean and easy to do.

NOTE, this guide only boots you into the custom recovery to allow you to root the device. It does not overwrite the stock recovery, so you will still get OTA updates from Google.

It's a good option if you just want to root the device, but don't plan on installing customs roms.

fiacha wrote: »
    Go for it.

I followed this guide. Quick, clean and easy to do.

NOTE, this guide only boots you into the custom recovery to allow you to root the device. It does not overwrite the stock recovery, so you will still get OTA updates from Google.

It's a good option if you just want to root the device, but don't plan on installing customs roms.

I ended up rooting mine yesterday. Couldn't resist. It's nice to have ad blocking back.

Is "stock recovery" the only prerequisite for OTA updates? Don't have much interest in custom ROMs since the Nexus has vanilla Android. It would be nice to still get the updates.

• Advertisement

TPD wrote: »
    I haven't used a case on mine at all so far, had it since Christmas. I'd be tempted by the bugatti skinny xl coal pouch though.

I've had mine since early December and tbh i don't want to cover up the back of it. It feels great in the hand and looks the biz,don't want to mess with it at all.

Because of the glass back i've been paranoid about dropping it. I can honestly say i've never dropped a phone so much in my life. It's hit the floor at least 6 times and fell from the mantlepiece once whilst charging and the only mark on her is a little chip on the side from where it hit the side of the fireplace. Touch wood,she's holding up well to the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Has anyone used this toolkit from xda
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Should have my N4 shortly and want to root it and have it ready to flash custom ROMs at some stage before I put loads of apps, photos etc on it.

iggy wrote: »
    Has anyone used this toolkit from xda
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Should have my N4 shortly and want to root it and have it ready to flash custom ROMs at some stage before I put loads of apps, photos etc on it.

Ya that's what I used. Worked great. If you're definitely going to do it I'd recommend unlocking the bootloader early as it does a factory reset. Not a huge issue but saves backing up and restoring, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Ya that's what I used. Worked great. If you're definitely going to do it I'd recommend unlocking the bootloader early as it does a factory reset. Not a huge issue but saves backing up and restoring, etc.

Cheers
    I'm goin to do it straight away as I know I will end up constantly tinkering with ROms.

Anyone know how to view a photosphere after you've taken it? From googling apparently there is supposed to be a photosphere symbol below the photo in the gallery but I'm not seeing it? I've only taken one, maybe I didn't save it properly, it just looks like a big stretched out photo?

Edit: took a few more and it seems I just didn't save the first one I took correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Only got it last night but must say I'm very happy so far. Using this case and it feels like its barely there. Still a shame to hide the back of it though.

One thing I must mention is the maximum volume wasn't enough for me, I have crappy earphones and use them in a noisy environment. Got an app called volume+ and the free version let me increase it enough so that I don't have to buy new headphones :)

Where did you purchase the case from? I searched for it using the name on your linked article but couldn't find it (saying that, it is early and I haven't had my coffee yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Is SKY GO working alright for people on the N4?

Any one for a way to disable email notifications during certain times?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep. Power button :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If it is to disable during the night, I've been using battery widget reborn for months on several devices including n4. Nice looking battery widget and also allows you to set it so it will switch on flight mode for a set time each night.

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »

Where did you purchase the case from? I searched for it using the name on your linked article but couldn't find it (saying that, it is early and I haven't had my coffee yet).

Here ya go
    http://www.rearthusa.com/google-nexus-4-ringke-slim-case
    Although it does say only amazon have it in stock at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

I bought the poetic bumper from amazon, its a great fit, worth the money

i got two cases from these guys http://tpu-cases.com/
    I got this one: Black Ultra Thin One Piece Hard Shell Case for LG Nexus 4
    and this: Diztronic Matte Back Black TPU Case for LG Nexus 4

Delivery took about 4 days and cost $3, but you can get 10% off with code XDA

Very happy with both - i've been mainly using the slim hard case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Not sure if it has been posted but a US company called dbrand inc. do kick as looking vinyls for the back of the Nexus for $9 - class looking!

22QK7Xa.png

http://dbrand.com/submodels/nexus-4/ - I ordered one and it's not USD, it's CAD for $12 with shipping is only €9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

A good idea if the back cracks but I think the original is nice enough till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I've been looking at those skins, the back of mine is pretty scratched up after about 6 weeks of use.

TPD wrote: »
    A good idea if the back cracks but I think the original is nice enough till then.

Which mine did today.:(

4.2.2 was released earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

4.2.2 was released earlier today

How long do updates take to get pushed through? Just checked there and my system is 4.2.1 and up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Nexus noob question. One of the first things i did with this phone was unlock the bootloader and root the device.

When/if 4.2.2 is pushed through, will i lose root?

Advertisement