Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My3 PrePay for Android

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

wba88 wrote: »
    Hey Damo2k,

Love the app, it's very handy to have so thanks for putting it together.

Great idea about the internet add-on expiration notification. Not sure if you meant this too but it would be cool if the app would notify you when your €20 credit 30days is up.

Also could you put a Total underneath the 'Won't expire' amounts I have a few lines of €20's there and just thought it would be nice or if possible just one line with the total amount of credit remaining.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

I can try that yeah.

Can you just take a snapshot of what its currently showing up as for you?

You can try power button + volume down to take a snapshot if your version of android supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Something similar to this?

266305.png

Holy hell, how do you have so many top-ups?

Also when you top-up by €20, does it not queue the extra's it gives you? e.g. 3 to 3 calls, texts, etc..?

Can you manually log onto https://my3account.three.ie and see if I'm missing some of your usages?

Holy hell, how do you have so many top-ups?

Also when you top-up by €20, does it not queue the extra's it gives you? e.g. 3 to 3 calls, texts, etc..?

Can you manually log onto https://my3account.three.ie and see if I'm missing some of your usages?

I top up €20 every 30 days which gives me the data package and covers all the calls and texts I ever use. The extras are not queued, they expire after 30 days but the credit is retained for usage.
    I know I could just continue to buy the 5 euro 500 mb package but to be honest I use up to 1 GB most days so not worth the hassle.

I try to use the credit for Google Play apps etc but I can't burn it to be honest.

266306.png

Ah yeah, however if you topped up by two €20 in a row for some odd reason, it will queue the next set of usages until the current one expires.

Hmm, wba88, you want a total top-up amount like in yllw.ldbttr's pic above?

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, however if you topped up by two €20 in a row for some odd reason, it will queue the next set of usages until the current one expires.

Gotcha yeah, that's true, sorry, I was talking about a different circumstance.
    Great app anyway. Cheers.

Gotcha yeah, that's true, sorry, I was talking about a different circumstance.
    Great app anyway. Cheers.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

Yeah what I was trying to get across is exactly what yllw.ldbttr was saying

Thanks yllw.ldbttr

Yeah what I was trying to get across is exactly what yllw.ldbttr was saying

Thanks yllw.ldbttr

Do you only wanna see total, or do you wanna see all, with total underneath ?

Do you only wanna see total, or do you wanna see all, with total underneath ?

To be honest I think just the total would be cleaner, instead of filling the screen with lines of €20.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Or have a total with an option of a drop down list to see every topup listed ?
    If that could be done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Great app!!

Just updated to the latest version, I really like the loading animation! Good job

Just updated to the latest version, I really like the loading animation! Good job

Thanks. I fixed a few things under the hood, so hopefully I will start on new functionality now that the base is more stabilized.

This application's name and logo's are in the process of been changed, due to discussions with Three. See below.

Application will be called something like: Phone Credit Checker
    Logo will possibly be:
    AJUxI1o.png
    Or:
    z5RbB5i.png

Could a Mod please change the title of this thread also please?

Hello. My name is Damien O'Reilly.

I have developed NON PROFIT, NON COMMERCIAL, OPEN SOURCE application that allows My3 3Pay customers check their credit using their android in an efficient convenient manner. This application will never be used for profit or commercial purposes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=damo.three.ie The application description states that the app nor the author is affiliated with "Hutchison 3G Ireland Limited"

Its source code is published here: https://github.com/DamienOReilly/My3Usage

My question to you is:
    Do I have formal permission to use the "Three" logo in my application? Are Hutchison 3G Ireland Limited OK with this? Do they prefer it is removed?

Can you please forward this mail to the relevant interested personnel who may be able to answer the query in this message.

Thank you.

Hi Damien,
    I've checked this with out legal team and I'm afraid we cannot approve use of any Three logos or related branding, Sorry,
    Thanks
    Julie

Hi does that mean that it is ok to continue with the application once the Three logo's are removed ?

Hi, please be aware neither myself of the app claims to represent Three. The user is informed of this and it us the users choice whether they wish to use this application.

It merely is an application to parse and aggregate a user's prepay usage data, and only their data.

I am currently in the process of removing Three's copyrighted logo's with free non-copyrighted material.

Hi Damien,
    I'm afraid we will not give any blessing or approval for anyone to represent Three unless it comes from one of our authorized channels and has been thoroughly checked and approved as it raises security concerns.
    Thanks,
    Julie

Hi, please be aware neither myself of the app claims to represent Three. The user is informed of this and it us the users choice whether they wish to use this application.

It merely is an application to parse and aggregate a user's prepay usage data, and only their data.

I am currently in the process of removing Three's copyrighted logo's with free non-copyrighted material.

Hi Damien,

I'm sorry but our legal team have advised that we consider this to be unlawful use of intellectual property and terms of use.

Julie

I'm not really sure what the "unlawful use of intellectual property" is then. Can you please clarify?

Also what is the violation of terms of use?

This application accesses the my3account.three.ie URL. How is this different than accessing it via Chrome/Firefox? Do the browsers also fall into the unlawful use then also?

Also do the webtext applications that use webtext.three.ie also fall into this category? Because as far as I'm aware, they are been allowed to operate without concern.

Hi Damien,

Please see below for update from our legal team:

Essentially, all rights, including copyright in Three Services and their content, belong to us. The ‘Three’ trademark and other related images, logos and names on Three Services are proprietary marks of our group of companies, including My3. We reserve all our rights with regards to the former.

We are not engaging in any further correspondence.

Sorry we can't help you with this,
    Julie

I have a feeling the legal team doesn't really see the technical point of view I'm coming from.

The "Three" trademark and other related images, logo's etc.. are been removed. The wording "My3" is been removed. The application has no branding what-so ever that contains 3 copyright material. It is a generic application that happens to access https://my3account.three.ie in the same way other internet applications do.

If you are saying "Three Services and their content" is copyright e.g. my usage information is copyright of three... this is merely an application that accesses your website. In the same way that Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome does. Are you's restricting how a user accesses your website? What tools/browsers they can use?

I am taking it that if the application contains absolutely no branding from 3, that the legal team have no grounds for issues with this application, and that is what the issues were in the first place.

I will post a history of this conversation online for people using this application to be informed as to why its name and logo's are changing.

Also, I believe 3 should show more friendliness for such apps, since they don't provide a similar app themselves. This app has 1,600 users and growing each day. Users are also requesting new functionality. It seems like the public want this!

It seems poor communication (between the '3' rep and the legal team) has resulted in a lost of translation scenario!

You may have better luck communicating with the guys on the Three Board

From what I can tell, there isn't a problem with your app as long as you remove all of their trademarked logos and names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Super attitude from three there, well done guys. You don't provide a fairly essential facility, someone shows some iniative and does it for free in a great way so you threaten them with legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Super attitude from three there, well done guys. You don't provide a fairly essential facility, someone shows some iniative and does it for free in a great way so you threaten them with legal action.

Don't think they threatened legal action, if damo2k had never asked they probably would never have said anything to him.

There response was fairly poor though, I agree with you on that. He may be better off talking to someone directly in head office as the reps on the boards here probably aren't the best for this type of thing. It's not really there area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't see where the illegality would come from in a technical sense. I'd remove all branding references as you have done and leave it up there. If you get sent further legal correspondence after that then I'd re-evaluate.

New version pushed to Google Play should keep Three happy.

• Advertisement

How are people getting on with this?

Anyone got an alert for expiring internet add-on yet?

No, mine is due on the 9th or 10th

No, mine is due on the 9th or 10th

Cool, should work. I changed the date on my phone and the emulators countless times haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Everything appears to be working exactly the same since the 'rebrand' :)

Can't help you with the internet add-on though, I just buy the €20 per month deal, but no issues since the change.

The renamed app did delete the shortcut I had put on my homescreen, but I'm pretty certain that renaming any app will have the same effect for any dev!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Everything appears to be working exactly the same since the 'rebrand' :)

Can't help you with the internet add-on though, I just buy the €20 per month deal, but no issues since the change.

The renamed app did delete the shortcut I had put on my homescreen, but I'm pretty certain that renaming any app will have the same effect for any dev!

I noticed that alright.

I'm also seeing there is a huge drop in installed numbers since I change the app name. I wonder did the name change cause an uninstall on some devices. People probably aren't aware of the app name change so won't be able to find it again to re-install. Thank Three for that one!

I noticed that alright.

I'm also seeing there is a huge drop in installed numbers since I change the app name. I wonder did the name change cause an uninstall on some devices. People probably aren't aware of the app name change so won't be able to find it again to re-install. Thank Three for that one!

I don't know what to make of that, other than it definitely didn't uninstall it for me.

Have you seen the way google replaced google talk with hangouts? The name of the app in the app store is now 'Hangouts (replaces Talk)', but when you check your app folder in the phone, it just shows as 'Hangouts'. It seems to me that you can have a store name for the app and an installed name being separate things.

Do you think 3 would mind if you called the app 'Prepaid Credit (formerly My3 PrePay)' in the store, but then never refer to the name again? I just think it's possible that people are searching for the term 'my3', but assuming that 'Prepaid Credit' is not the one they are after.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of that, other than it definitely didn't uninstall it for me.

Have you seen the way google replaced google talk with hangouts? The name of the app in the app store is now 'Hangouts (replaces Talk)', but when you check your app folder in the phone, it just shows as 'Hangouts'. It seems to me that you can have a store name for the app and an installed name being separate things.

Do you think 3 would mind if you called the app 'Prepaid Credit (formerly My3 PrePay)' in the store, but then never refer to the name again? I just think it's possible that people are searching for the term 'my3', but assuming that 'Prepaid Credit' is not the one they are after.

Hmm I might do that yeah. Just don't want to give them anything to complain about. Searching 'my3' will still list my app. Ah word of mouth will get around. Still has around 1,500 installs.

Hmm I might do that yeah. Just don't want to give them anything to complain about. Searching 'my3' will still list my app. Ah word of mouth will get around. Still has around 1,500 installs.

Ah yeah, it's entirely up to you of course. And I wouldn't want to be giving 3 any reason to be on my case either.

Some people may have uninstalled it, thinking they may have been breaking some rules by having it installed after reading this in your description. 'Hutchison 3G have actively show disapproval for such applications.'

I'm not saying it would bother me in the slightest, but it may others.

I hope the installs pick up again for you, as it's a rght handy app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How are people getting on with this?

Anyone got an alert for expiring internet add-on yet?

yep working for me anyway!I bought a 7 day add on for the internet so ill let you know if it warns me about that aswell.

• Advertisement

In an effort to fix https://github.com/DamienOReilly/PrepayCredit/issues/5.

Can everyone send me the HTML of their usage page if they are getting usages under "Other" on their application.

If I am not aware of items that I haven't come across, they won't be categorized.

For example, a friend of mine had an item: "Internet Roaming Band 1 EU"

Advertisement