Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

loughrey wrote: »
    It's the best streaming box on the market but won't ever be officially available here as Amazon Prime won't ever be available here. You'll always need Parcel Motel to get it. I use it for Kodi and Amazon Prime video, great for these. I've owned the 1st gen for 2 years now I upgraded to the 2nd gen. I've tried every streaming box on the market, from Google Nexus player, to the Roku series and none compare to the Fire TV

Actually following on from Jeremy Clarkson's announcement yesterday Amazon Prime video is now freely available in Ireland without a VPN. The Fire TV still can't be shipped to Ireland but I would expect that to change very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

degsie wrote: »
    Indeed, but your post indicated that the FireTV was the best streamer on the market, period.

The 2nd gen FireTV offers even better performance but you can't get them here yet AFAIK.

I didn't mention the Nvidia Shield as it wasn't really designed as a TV streamer, it's mainly a an Android TV gaming system, hence the reason why the base model ships with a game controller and requires you to buy a remote separately. It's powerful because it's a gaming system. It's not for the average consumer who wants a TV streamer, the Fire TV is the best TV streamer on the market for the average consumer who needs a streamer to play Netflix, the Nvidia Shield shows little advantage over the 2nd gen Fire TV for TV streaming, it really only trumps the Fire TV for gaming.

ElNino wrote: »
    Actually following on from Jeremy Clarkson's announcement yesterday Amazon Prime video is now freely available in Ireland without a VPN. The Fire TV still can't be shipped to Ireland but I would expect that to change very soon.

Really? I didn't hear that. Was there an official announcement about the restrictions being lifted for Ireland?

Okay, I looked it up and indeed it seems the GT will be available worldwide. I'd be curious to know how that will work and will they make the entire Amazon Video available worldwide like Netflix or will there be a small subscription free to exclusively stream Amazon-exclusive content. I doubt Prime shipping and the other perks will be available here but it would be nice to be able to buy Prime, combine it with Parcel Motel and not have to pay for a VPN service anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

loughrey wrote: »
    Okay, I looked it up and indeed it seems the GT will be available worldwide. I'd be curious to know how that will work and will they make the entire Amazon Video available worldwide like Netflix or will there be a small subscription free to exclusively stream Amazon-exclusive content. I doubt Prime shipping and the other perks will be available here but it would be nice to be able to buy Prime, combine it with Parcel Motel and not have to pay for a VPN service anymore.

I'm assuming it is just that the grand tour will be added to the section "TV to watch while you are abroad". This includes the likes of the man in the high castle and can be viewed with a sub without a VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Prime Video is Geo blocked for me again but all the Amazon produced videos were unblocked for a while earlier. I assume that all of the Amazon's own library will be available in Ireland soon but the third party stuff may not be available for a while until license deals are renegotiated.

irishchris wrote: »
    I'm assuming it is just that the grand tour will be added to the section "TV to watch while you are abroad". This includes the likes of the man in the high castle and can be viewed with a sub without a VPN.

That would suck and nobody would pay for a full subscription if it was limited to that category as it only have a very small selection of content that's mainly just Amazon original shows. 75 pounds a year for that would be a rip-off and would only encourage people to resort to pirated copies instead. So I hope that when Clarkson said that 'Amazon has gone global' he means they are expanding their entire service like Netflix. LOL but it's funny when they said it will be available in over 200 countries when there isn't even 200 countries in the world.

Prime Video is Geo blocked for me again but all the Amazon produced videos were unblocked for a while earlier. I assume that all of the Amazon's own library will be available in Ireland soon but the third party stuff may not be available for a while until license deals are renegotiated.

Maybe you were viewing the content in the 'available when travelling abroad' category? Amazon's original content has never been geo-blocked, along with some other content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

It's a great box but tonight both of mine are dead as doornails. Broadband outage so neither box will startup and allow me use Plex or Kodi. Parental controls cant validate the PIN without an Internet connection so no chance of starting the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Yeah, Amazon Video stopped playing for me last night on gen1 Fire TV box. 'Abroad' video incl. Grand Tour still work. Oddly enough all Amazon Video works on my Fire TV Stick. Using Unotelly as DNS. iPlayer still works.
    Might be time to investigate another DNS provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

bit of an odd question!
    bought a Fire stick last xmas. When I went to set it up I noticed there was an account already on the stick. So I only wanted the stick for Netflix and for 9 months its mostly all we used (4OD and ITV apps the odd time). so in september, kids were looking for a movie and I went to one of the amazon movies you could buy (assuming id be prompted to sign in and some stage)and i selected one, went to buy it and purchased it, without getting asked to sign in. done the same thing with another movie the same night. so, waited the last few months, never got charged, never contacted over it. so tried it again today with a .99p movie and was able to buy it.

All very odd, dont know what to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

LowOdour wrote: »
    bit of an odd question!
    bought a Fire stick last xmas. When I went to set it up I noticed there was an account already on the stick. So I only wanted the stick for Netflix and for 9 months its mostly all we used (4OD and ITV apps the odd time). so in september, kids were looking for a movie and I went to one of the amazon movies you could buy (assuming id be prompted to sign in and some stage)and i selected one, went to buy it and purchased it, without getting asked to sign in. done the same thing with another movie the same night. so, waited the last few months, never got charged, never contacted over it. so tried it again today with a .99p movie and was able to buy it.

I'll take it off your hands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭xlogo

LowOdour wrote:
    bit of an odd question! bought a Fire stick last xmas. When I went to set it up I noticed there was an account already on the stick. So I only wanted the stick for Netflix and for 9 months its mostly all we used (4OD and ITV apps the odd time). so in september, kids were looking for a movie and I went to one of the amazon movies you could buy (assuming id be prompted to sign in and some stage)and i selected one, went to buy it and purchased it, without getting asked to sign in. done the same thing with another movie the same night. so, waited the last few months, never got charged, never contacted over it. so tried it again today with a .99p movie and was able to buy it.

Where did you get it from? Was it from Amazon themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bit of an odd question!

Can you not see what account is signed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

FrostyJim wrote: »
    bit of an odd question!

Can you not see what account is signed in?
    yep, like i said I knew there was an account with it but never needed to change it. I was sure I went through steps to add my account details but mustnt have. Think what ive purchased has totalled all of 20 euro but would have expected either the existing account be shut down or something if they noticed those movies been purchased

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

yep, like i said I knew there was an account with it but never needed to change it. I was sure I went through steps to add my account details but mustnt have. Think what ive purchased has totalled all of 20 euro but would have expected either the existing account be shut down or something if they noticed those movies been purchased

20 is small enough to go unnoticed. I'd stop adding to it if i were you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Quick question, looking to buy one of these for Xmas. Whwrestlers the best place to purchase it? I've been reading something about no delivery to Ireland for it.

I see them on Ebay, would that be a safe Bet?

Cheers if anyone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Quick question, looking to buy one of these for Xmas. Whwrestlers the best place to purchase it? I've been reading something about no delivery to Ireland for it.

Amazon + PM/PW/AP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Parcel motel from Amazon.
    Before you ask what PM is....use the search facility on boards or go onto the pm website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got a fire stick delivered today, haven't started it up yet in case it updates.

Is there any point in rooting it?
    I mainly want to use it as a glorified Chromecast with Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and Kodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Keith186 wrote: »
    Got a fire stick delivered today, haven't started it up yet in case it updates.

Is there any point in rooting it?
    I mainly want to use it as a glorified Chromecast with Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and Kodi.

Not sure about spotify but you can install all the other apps straight onto the fire stick so no need to cast it

Keith186 wrote:
    Is there any point in rooting it? I mainly want to use it as a glorified Chromecast with Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and Kodi.

No need to root for any of these.

YouTube, Netflix and Spotify all can be downloaded from Amazon store. Spotify client works with free account too.

You'll have to sideload Kodi, but also easily done and once installed works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Zilog wrote: »
    No need to root for any of these.

YouTube, Netflix and Spotify all can be downloaded from Amazon store. Spotify client works with free account too.

You'll have to sideload Kodi, but also easily done and once installed works perfectly.

Thanks. Yeah I wasn't too sure if it was worth rooting it at all for what I'd be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

My amazon fire tv is stuck in reboot mode (it won't load past the amazon boot/home screen logo). It was loaded with Kodi and was working fine for a long while.

Anyone have any idea how to reset/reload it?

Thanks.

My amazon fire tv is stuck in reboot mode (it won't load past the amazon boot/home screen logo). It was loaded with Kodi and was working fine for a long while.

Anyone have any idea how to reset/reload it?

Thanks.

From the interwebs:
    Turn your Fire TV on and allow it to boot up as far as it can. Next, press and hold the BACK and RIGHT button on the Fire TV remote simultaneously for at least 15 seconds

Anybody with a prime subscription having problems playing prime movies on the fire tv? TV series work fine, but when I select 'Play with Prime' on a movie it just refreshes the screen and the 'play with prime or purchase' menu re-appears. Can someone check this out on theirs? Happens on both box and stick. Worked fine before.

I just used 'My Scientology Movie' as an example and it plays fine on a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody with a prime subscription having problems playing prime movies on the fire tv? TV series work fine, but when I select 'Play with Prime' on a movie it just refreshes the screen and the 'play with prime or purchase' menu re-appears. Can someone check this out on theirs? Happens on both box and stick. Worked fine before.

I just used 'My Scientology Movie' as an example and it plays fine on a pc.

I'm having the same problem with my Fire TV even when using a snart DNS. Prime video works perfectly on my Roku stick. I can't figure it out.

I'm having the same problem with my Fire TV even when using a snart DNS. Prime video works perfectly on my Roku stick. I can't figure it out.
    Kinda glad it's not just me then. I wonder what's changed. I hope some kind of restriction hasn't kicked in.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote:
    Kinda glad it's not just me then. I wonder what's changed. I hope some kind of restriction hasn't kicked in.
    Something has definitely changed.
    Oddly stopped working on Fire TV box (gen 1) but kept working on Fire TV stick.

For me a change of DNS provider, followed by reboot of modem, router, switch and Fire TV fixed it.

Advertisement