Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I ever find him? ** Charlie home safe!! **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Ya I have thought about that b where i live is just a half a mile from a small village. Everyone knows everyone. If someone shot my dog because he was attacking their sheep or lambs then by now they'd know who owns the dog because i've got posters up etc and all the local people know that my dog is missing. So I'm kind of thinking that surely if someone shot him they'd at least tell me. I've been driving around the countryside looking for the dog, i've spent days putting up posters, i've called door to door to neighbours. If someone shot him I cant see them just letting me get on with searching for him if they know he's dead. Plus I know everyone thinks their own dogs are perfect but I really don't think Charlie would go after sheep. He was such a nervous dog, almost scared of his own shadow, he'd probably be afraid of the sheep to be honest. So that's why I kind of ruled that theory out but then again, I'll probably never know.

bookworm85 - thanks. I hope ye find your friends dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

andreac wrote: »
    Dont give up hope. It could be that someone has him and has taken him in. Thats why you need to put up as many posters etc everywhere. Someone might see the poster then and get in touch.

Ive liked the page and i know loads have shared the other link from the Limerick Animal Welfare page.

+1

Was just off to bed and I saw you had posted. I have liked and shared the page. Also threatened everyone (including husband) as promised!

Please don't give up hope.

Stay positive.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'v liked and shared the page too, I really hope you find him soon one way or another, it's not knowing that's the worst part. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Fingers crossed for u OP I've just liked and shared the page on facebook. I reckon for what its worth he's out there somewhere possibly in someone's house or garden. Some people don't have the cop on to ring around if they find a lost dog or cat! My 2 cats went missing a few weeks ago it turned out they were accidently locked in a neighbour's shed for 4 days :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Just seen this on DSPCA facebook. Pet detective! http://www.happytailsdetective.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP. I really feel for you. I can't offer anything other than the suggestions already posted on here, but sending good thoughts your way and hope you find your boy very soon.

Keep the faith. Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

What's the facebook page under?? I will share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Golden lab found in Cork its on cork dog action welfare

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cork-Dog-Action-Welfare-Group/117764071567724

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

barbiegirl wrote: »
    What's the facebook page under?? I will share.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Limerick-Animal-Welfare/212914858726221

• Advertisement

minxie - my heart nearly came out my chest when I looked at that picture of the labrador found in Cork. He looks so like Charlie. I rang them straight away but unfortunately they said that dog is only about 2 years old. Charlie is 11. But thanks for your help.

I drove around again today putting up more posters further afield so maybe someone might ring me saying they've found him. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

awman wrote: »
    minxie - my heart nearly came out my chest when I looked at that picture of the labrador found in Cork. He looks so like Charlie. I rang them straight away but unfortunately they said that dog is only about 2 years old. Charlie is 11. But thanks for your help.

I drove around again today putting up more posters further afield so maybe someone might ring me saying they've found him. fingers crossed.

Would you maybe go and check just in case?
    A simple mix up in paperwork at the reception desk and and old dog could be filed as a pup??
    Just a thought don't want to get your hopes up too high :(

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I really hope you find him. Worst feeling in the world when your pet is missing. :(:(:( xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Traonach wrote: »
    I know a farmer who was out rounding up sheep from the mountain with his sheep dogs. There were lads out shooting and the dog got spooked by gunshot fire. One of the dogs went missing. He spent hours searching but no sign. Went back to the mountain every day and spent hours looking for the dog.

He had given up hope, but two months later the postman was delivering the post to the farmer and who jumps out of the car only the sheepdog. An eldery woman had seen the dod wandering on the road and took him in. The postman was delivering post to her house when he noticed the dog. He informed the woman who owned the dog and he brought the dog back to the farmer.

Don't give up hope.......

Just reading through this thread aswell & seen this post...have you asked the local postman?? Or even if you mention it to him he could keep an eye out & tell postmen to keep an eye out seeing as they cover long distances everyday.. Its so heartbreaking, I hope he turns up soon. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovemydogs

Hi, my dog went missing last year, he was 10 years old and we had just moved into a new house ou the country when he headed off, he was gone for 6 days before we found him, and we searched everywhere for him, we put posters up everywhere, contacted newspapers, and called in to schools with pictures.
    we had a few sightings of him from kids in the schools and elsewhere, he had covered over 15km in one day alone! In the end a woman had taken him in, and kept him. It was only that we had put posters up everywhere and a neighbour of hers recognised him from the poster and called us that we managed to get him back!
    Its a terrible time when your dog goes missing, but keep your hopes up. Have you contacted garda stations with posters? Also, local schools, post offices, and shops. Dogs can cover much farther a distance than you would think, and maybe someone took him in and is looking after him. Maybe call into farmhouses and see if anyone spotted him passing through. Also, keep contacting the pound, I know someone who recently lost their dog, and contacted the pound who said they had not heard anything about this dog, but someone had actually found him and was looking after him, and they had contacted the pound to give their details so that the owner could find them! But these were never passed on, it was only through facebook and a complete coincidence that the dog found his owners again.
    I hope you find him, It is definatly very possible that you will find him. I'l keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Op really hope you & Charlie are re-united,
    Like others I am checking this thread every day hoping for some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

Don't rely on what someone is telling you about the age of the dog found - go check it out. I've had dogs in care that I thought were young because their teeth were in great nic and it turned out they were old and vice versa...its not always a good guide as it can be difficult to put an exact age on an dog.

Really hope Charlie turns up x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Im so sorry to hear about charlie OP. But don't loose hope. I know its alot easier said than done but il give you a reason not too. Our lurcher was stolen fron our field a few years ago. Myself and the wife were part of the SPCA at the time so we knew what to do about missing dogs. My wife discharged herself from hospital, was prob going to cancel our wedding to concentrate on finding our pet (1 of 3). We had posters up everywhere but not on the street just in shops, Garda stations, rescues, pounds, gun clubs. Anywhere that dealt with animals we even went to the extent of having a poster of her up on my van.

We did get alot of calls from people saying they think they saw her etc but like you no sign of any dog when we got there. We even went to balinasloe horse fair. After 9 days we got a phone call from rathfarnham SPCA saying they had a dog that looked like ours. She sent us a photo and sure it enough it was princess. She had been dumped in tallaght and a woman took her in and she only brought her to the SPCA because her own dog didn't like ours :mad:. Lucky they had a poster but it pissed us off too that she never even thought that maybe that was someones pet that had been stolen, she never tried to find owners or anything she only brought it to the SPCA cause her own didn't take a shine to our princess.

Sorry for the rant but I assume you have asked all your neighbours within a 20,30 mile radius if they have seen the dog? Most of the time people might not see or pay attention to the posters or if they do find the dog they might take a liking to it and just want to keep it themselves and not care about the heartache it is causing someone. My advice is to call to all the houses you can, you never know you might see him through their gate or something and if there is a dispute you would have a dog licence for him and photo's of him id imagine. Always go with a guard if that happens.

Try all avenues, don't be in the mindset that you have lost him for good. Go mad with posters and that everywhere but do call the guards and give in pictures of him everywhere. Was he wearing a collar? Any specific marks or scars that you mentioned on the lost pet posters or websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Gareth - I think what that woman did was admirable. She could have just turfed your dog out again - people can do that you know! At least she brought your dog to SPCA. Or, she could have kept your dog and you'd never have known what happened to her and would still be worrying about her.
    I think that what that woman did was the right thing to do - and at least she didn't head for the pound!!!!
    Don't knock someone for acting responsibily - its what we want people to do!

Still praying daily for Charlie and think of him several times a day X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Checking this thread daily in the hope that your poor fella gets found. It's heart wrenching what you're going through.

• Advertisement

Shazanne wrote: »
    Gareth - I think what that woman did was admirable. She could have just turfed your dog out again - people can do that you know! At least she brought your dog to SPCA. Or, she could have kept your dog and you'd never have known what happened to her and would still be worrying about her.
    I think that what that woman did was the right thing to do - and at least she didn't head for the pound!!!!
    Don't knock someone for acting responsibily - its what we want people to do!

Still praying daily for Charlie and think of him several times a day X

First off we were very grateful to her for taking her in but you must also understand. If her dog had of liked princess we would still be looking for her now. The point I was making is that if you find a stray you don't intend on keeping it. You call the guards, the SPCA, the pounds, the vets before you even consider keeping the dog. And if she had of wanted to turf her out again she should of left her where she was when she spotted her. The only reason the woman took in the dog and she told us this herself was because the dog was in such bad condition and she thought she had got away from travellers (red throat from crying and barking, cuts and grazes from where she was trying to get our, lovely shinny black coat was brown from malnutrition) But she didn't get away we think she was dumped for either of 2 reasons. She is not a hunting dog at all she loves attention and is playful. The other is there so much attention surrounding her with regards to anywhere that dealt with animals had posters and posters uo literally everywhere in newspapers and all that they wouldn't off been able to sell her without someone copping it unless it was to england or another scumbag. It was even in the newspapers here. Even if she did head for the pound they also had a photo of her so you see what im saying is if her dog had of liked ours we would have never gotten her back. BUT it could have gone the other way and she could have been picked up again by someone who wouldn't do what she did.

I apoligize if I came across as we would have rathered she didn't take her in because we were. We were in tears when we got her back and if that woman hadn't of taken her in god knows if we would have ever seen her again. I do hope the OP finds charlie soon and hopefully someone has taken him in and will contact her anyday now.

PS: we know a guy who was very intetrested in her and he came around 3 times asking us to sell her and when we refused each time. The same guy saw myself and the wife in hospital ( he said hello to my wife but she was out of it on meds so she didn't cop who it was and I didn't hear him) so when I got home I found one dog in kennel hiding, other out on road and other gone. We never had any of his type around for 3 years after that not once and they used to come around every year previous to that. They stay in the house now and if I hear them going mad barking when their outside I head out to see what it is their barking at. Id protect my dogs before id protect my house.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    First off we were very grateful to her for taking her in but you must also understand. If her dog had of liked princess we would still be looking for her now. The point I was making is that if you find a stray you don't intend on keeping it. You call the guards, the SPCA, the pounds, the vets before you even consider keeping the dog. And if she had of wanted to turf her out again she should of left her where she was when she spotted her. The only reason the woman took in the dog and she told us this herself was because the dog was in such bad condition and she thought she had got away from travellers (red throat from crying and barking, cuts and grazes from where she was trying to get our, lovely shinny black coat was brown from malnutrition) But she didn't get away we think she was dumped for either of 2 reasons. She is not a hunting dog at all she loves attention and is playful. The other is there so much attention surrounding her with regards to anywhere that dealt with animals had posters and posters uo literally everywhere in newspapers and all that they wouldn't off been able to sell her without someone copping it unless it was to england or another scumbag. It was even in the newspapers here. Even if she did head for the pound they also had a photo of her so you see what im saying is if her dog had of liked ours we would have never gotten her back. BUT it could have gone the other way and she could have been picked up again by someone who wouldn't do what she did.

I apoligize if I came across as we would have rathered she didn't take her in because we were. We were in tears when we got her back and if that woman hadn't of taken her in god knows if we would have ever seen her again. I do hope the OP finds charlie soon and hopefully someone has taken him in and will contact her anyday now.

PS: we know a guy who was very intetrested in her and he came around 3 times asking us to sell her and when we refused each time. The same guy saw myself and the wife in hospital ( he said hello to my wife but she was out of it on meds so she didn't cop who it was and I didn't hear him) so when I got home I found one dog in kennel hiding, other out on road and other gone. We never had any of his type around for 3 years after that not once and they used to come around every year previous to that. They stay in the house now and if I hear them going mad barking when their outside I head out to see what it is their barking at. Id protect my dogs before id protect my house.

Ah - I get your drift now:o And yes, you're right, she should have reported to SPCA etc that she had found your dog. You are really lucky they way things worked out - and so is your precious dog!
    My daughter found a stray one day and brought her home. She put up posters all over the place, contacted pound/dogwarden/SPCA etc. The one day, a week or so later, she got a call from a really excited man saying that the dog was his. My daughter was sort of upset as she had fallen for the dog at this stage! Anyway, the man arrived, took one look at the dog, and burst into tears:( It was a double for his dog, but not his dog. Everyone was in floods of tears.
    To cut the story short, the warden contacted my daughter some time later and told her the dog was hers if she wanted to keep her. That little dog now lives the life of a princess in Canada as my daughter took both her dogs to live there last year:)

Gareth, if I offended you it was not intentional. I just felt the woman had acted more responsibily than most would. But I accept that she did not act responsibily enough. I'm sorry if I did offend you.:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Ah - I get your drift now:o And yes, you're right, she should have reported to SPCA etc that she had found your dog. You are really lucky they way things worked out - and so is your precious dog!
    My daughter found a stray one day and brought her home. She put up posters all over the place, contacted pound/dogwarden/SPCA etc. The one day, a week or so later, she got a call from a really excited man saying that the dog was his. My daughter was sort of upset as she had fallen for the dog at this stage! Anyway, the man arrived, took one look at the dog, and burst into tears:( It was a double for his dog, but not his dog. Everyone was in floods of tears.
    To cut the story short, the warden contacted my daughter some time later and told her the dog was hers if she wanted to keep her. That little dog now lives the life of a princess in Canada as my daughter took both her dogs to live there last year:)

Gareth, if I offended you it was not intentional. I just felt the woman had acted more responsibily than most would. But I accept that she did not act responsibily enough. I'm sorry if I did offend you.:)

No you didn't offend me at all, I saw where you were coming from. Thats so sad about the man and the dog but at least things worked out for the better with regard to the type of life the dog has now and did when it was straying. You see the problem is when some people loose their animals they are not that bothered about it or they mistreated the dog. If that is the case the animal is better off with a new home or straying in the hope someone will love it and care for it like it was their own child. Myself and my wife love our dogs very much and we talked about getting them new homes because we plan to move out of Ireland at some stage but we both broke down in tears when we looked at them. I think its safe to safe we would rather bring the dogs all over the world with us than having them with someone else not kowning if they are being treated right :).

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    No you didn't offend me at all, I saw where you were coming from. Thats so sad about the man and the dog but at least things worked out for the better with regard to the type of life the dog has now and did when it was straying. You see the problem is when some people loose their animals they are not that bothered about it or they mistreated the dog. If that is the case the animal is better off with a new home or straying in the hope someone will love it and care for it like it was their own child. Myself and my wife love our dogs very much and we talked about getting them new homes because we plan to move out of Ireland at some stage but we both broke down in tears when we looked at them. I think its safe to safe we would rather bring the dogs all over the world with us than having them with someone else not kowning if they are being treated right :).

My daughter was exactly like that!! Both her dogs are rescue dogs but they are like her children. She moved to Canada last August and I cared for her dogs until November when she had the last of the money saved to fly them over. The dogs absolutely love it there (more than my daughter as it happens:() and they are having a ball in the off leash parks etc, like they never did here.

But back to poor Charlie and the purpose of this thread. The suggestion on the postman was an excellent one and, lets face it, no one knows better where there's a dog than the postman:eek:
    I have a feeling inside that Charlie will be found - can't explain it but I do. And I pray to God that I am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Keep searching!!!! Put photos up everyehere online and shops. A friend of mine was reunited with his dog after 4 months! Someone found him wandering the dublin city centre streets (ten miles or so from home) someone recognised her! I think someone else had taken her in and fed her etc.....

Good luck!!!! Dont give up!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just wanted to post and wish you well and the best of luck finding him, because I know I would be heartbroken if it were me
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

My Heart goes out to you OP and I wish you the best of luck. I know this is just words on a monitor screen but please understand I hope he is found and you are reunited soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Dont loose hope. In January I saw an ad for a dog that was found. I then remember that Id seen an ad for a dog that was lost fitting the description. I went back through old ads and found it. I rang the person that was missing the dog and they got in touch with people who had found the dog. The dog was reunited after been missing for nearly four weeks.

Keep checking the lost and found sites, please god you'll be reunited.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Also i got a lot of pranks from horrible kids claiming they had killed my cat- very upsetting. Just want to warn that there are horrible people out there

I lost my beautiful Pebbles in Feb '09.
    The phone rang off the hook for about two months afterwards- people saying the most horrible things "I'm using her as bait for my rottweilers", "I took her home and hit her with a hurley".
    There are absolute pigs out there, so if you do get any of these horrific phonecalls, just hang up, don't waste your breath on these scum. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Kablamo! wrote: »
    "I'm using her as bait for my rottweilers", "I took her home and hit her with a hurley".

What the hell is wrong with these people! :mad: Makes me so angry

Advertisement