Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

4 wins is achievable for sure but I would be happy with 3. Our season will not be defined in the first game though. It is winnable, but it is only one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Looking forward to the first real fixture of this season... Here is the squad update ahead of the game

"The Connacht squad are in the final stages of their pre-season preparations with their opening round of the GUINNESS PRO12 kicking off on Saturday September 6th when Newport Gwent Dragons visit the Sportsground. Kick-off is at 5pm.

Unavailable for Saturday’s opening clash is new centre Shane O’Leary who picked up a quad haematoma in training last week. The 21-year-old Cork man, who joined Connacht during the summer from FC Grenoble, should regain running later in the week and will be assessed ahead of the round 2 fixture away to Edinburgh.

Also unavailable for another week is winger Matt Healy who sustained a hand fracture in Connacht’s pre-season game away to Clermont Auvergne last month. Healy joins Tiernan O’Halloran (knee), Mils Muliaina (elbow), Andrew Browne (knee), Jason Harris-Wright (shoulder) and Mata Fifita (shoulder) in the rehab group.

Meanwhile, Captain John Muldoon, prop Ronan Loughney and versatile forward Aly Muldowney all returned to full training at the Sportsground yesterday and are expected to be available for selection this week"

We're not doing too badly on the injury front although with Marmion and Henshaw being rested for this opening game i think it will be a closer game than many people think, but we do have a good record against the Dragons, although they have improved in the last 12 months, They have their own injury worries with Falatau doubtful and with both of their 1st choice centres injured they will be coming here with 18yr and 19yr old centres.

So I think I was close to the real lineup with my selection

2/3 of the team are sure bets

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan/Henry
    3) Ah You/White
    4) Kearney
    5) Roux/Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) Heenan
    8) Naoupu/McKeon
    9) Porter
    10) Carty/Ronaldson/Nikora
    11) Niyi/Carr
    12) McSharry
    13) Leader
    14) Poolman
    15) Layden

16) Heffernan/Henry
    17) Bealham/Loughney
    18) Ah You/White
    19) Qualter/Swift
    20) Faloon
    21) Cooney/Blade
    22) Carty/Ronaldson/Nikora
    23) Finn/Carr/Niyi

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

connachta wrote: »
    2/3 of the team are sure bets

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan/Henry
    3) Ah You/White
    4) Kearney
    5) Roux/Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) Heenan
    8) Naoupu/McKeon
    9) Porter
    10) Carty/Ronaldson/Nikora
    11) Niyi/Carr
    12) McSharry
    13) Leader
    14) Poolman
    15) Layden

16) Heffernan/Henry
    17) Bealham/Loughney
    18) Ah You/White
    19) Qualter/Swift
    20) Faloon
    21) Cooney/Blade
    22) Carty/Ronaldson/Nikora
    23) Finn/Carr/Niyi
    Is Heenan ready to go for this?

Robbo wrote: »
    Is Heenan ready to go for this?

He seems to be, full training last friday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Gonna be the season of Heenan and Poolman lads - cannot wait for Saturday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

S12b wrote: »
    Ah Ouncer and you've been doing so well for the last few weeks.....back to nonsense again so!!! :(

Sorry bout that. Was feeling old traits pushing through☺. Couldn't help meself☺. There have been many comments to say the back line is wide open for choice and I think Layden at full back (though inexperienced in this arena) will do fine. As said in the past (and I have propagated this) it is strange that fionn gets such a hard time (OK his defending sucks). Without Healy would like to see poolman start at 11 and simply out of interest like to see if niyi can do the business at 14. I do have concerns that darragh is good enough at 13 (as backup to Robbie, I would rather a better option if we had one but it seems darragh is the player primed for that replacement), Dave mcsharry is the obvious 12. Then we get to 10 and 9. Starting at 9 it does seem porter simply can't kick. So maybe carty at 10 with leader taking the longer kicks and then the 9 position is open to more folks than porter.

Bottom line this is a very important game to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

wprathead wrote: »
    Gonna be the season of Heenan and Poolman lads - cannot wait for Saturday!!

Both are going to very important players if they can stay fit. Cue john Muldoon. How does he do it. Suggest he knows how to take a hit better than any ( the alternative that he avoids hits is ludicrous) so maybe john can teach that to the team?. I have always been fascinated by his constant fitness. Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

ouncer wrote: »
    Sorry bout that. Was feeling old traits pushing through☺. Couldn't help meself☺. There have been many comments to say the back line is wide open for choice and I think Layden at full back (though inexperienced in this arena) will do fine. As said in the past (and I have propagated this) it is strange that fionn gets such a hard time (OK his defending sucks). Without Healy would like to see poolman start at 11 and simply out of interest like to see if niyi can do the business at 14. I do have concerns that darragh is good enough at 13 (as backup to Robbie, I would rather a better option if we had one but it seems darragh is the player primed for that replacement), Dave mcsharry is the obvious 12. Then we get to 10 and 9. Starting at 9 it does seem porter simply can't kick. So maybe carty at 10 with leader taking the longer kicks and then the 9 position is open to more folks than porter.

Bottom line this is a very important game to win.

I thought that our whole season depended on it? They are rubbish are'nt they? if we can't beat them.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

ouncer wrote: »
    Both are going to very important players if they can stay fit. Cue john Muldoon. How does he do it. Suggest he knows how to take a hit better than any ( the alternative that he avoids hits is ludicrous) so maybe john can teach that to the team?. I have always been fascinated by his constant fitness. Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt

Muldoon has had his fair share of injuries over his career. His broken arm against NZ been a prime example. Probably ended any chance of breaking into the Irish set up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

hermano wrote: »
    Muldoon has had his fair share of injuries over his career. His broken arm against NZ been a prime example. Probably ended any chance of breaking into the Irish set up.
    Didn't stop him attempting tackles whilst the ball was still live and the match was in the balance. Absolute nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I thought that our whole season depended on it? They are rubbish are'nt they? if we can't beat them.......?

The Dragons have recruited quite well over the summer; Lee Byrne, Ian Gough, Aled Brew, Andy Powell - none of them spring chickens but still well capable of doing a job at Pro12 level. I think they'll be much improved and I wouldn't be writing off the season if Connacht lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    The Dragons have recruited quite well over the summer; Lee Byrne, Ian Gough, Aled Brew, Andy Powell - none of them spring chickens but still well capable of doing a job at Pro12 level. I think they'll be much improved and I wouldn't be writing off the season if Connacht lose.

RobbieRuns was asking those questions sarcastically......we are well aware that Dragons are no push over (is any team a pushover for Connacht?). He was just responding to one of our, let's say, more dramatic posters who is predicting armageddon if we don't win on Saturday!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

S12b wrote: »
    RobbieRuns was asking those questions sarcastically......we are well aware that Dragons are no push over (is any team a pushover for Connacht?). He was just responding to one of our, let's say, more dramatic posters who is predicting armageddon if we don't win on Saturday!! :D:D

Right over my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/15435.php

At Sportsground, 5pm.
    Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 30th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Leo Colgan, Mark Connolly (both IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: Wayne Sheridan (IRFU)

Linley McKenzie tweeted that Marmion is to bench.

Bring him on after a minute?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I wonder is this due to an injury since the last update or not having 100% confidence in a combination of Blade/Porter for a competitive match?

Very, very good news

WALES and Lions number eight Taulupe Faletau will start Newport Gwent Dragons’ Guinness Pro12 opener against Connacht on the bench.

The 23-year-old did not feature in any of the region’s three pre-season victories against Bristol, Lydney and Northampton.

Faletau has not played since Wales’ heartbreaking second Test defeat to South Africa in Nelspruit in June and will work his way towards full fitness with a cameo in Galway.

Andy Powell is set to make his debut for the region at number eight after a man-of-the-match performance against the Saints.

“Toby plays a lot of high-quality rugby and we have to look after him throughout the year so there’s no harm in having a couple of appearances off the bench,” said director of rugby Lyn Jones.

The Dragons will pair teenagers Jack Dixon and Tyler Morgan in midfield after Pat Leach (knee) joined Ashley Smith (foot) and Ross Wardle (knee) on the injury list.

“The one thing I’ve learnt over the years as coach is not to be afraid to give young guys a chance because you could be surprised by how well they can play,” said Jones.

“They are excellent players and they complement each other. These fellas have rosy futures and I am very confident that they can both deliver against Connacht away.”

Morgan and Dixon are backed up by 17-year-old centre Barney Nightingale and Jones has been impressed after giving the Newport High School student from Chepstow run outs in all three pre-season games.

“Young players have no fear, they just play what is in front of them,” he said. “You are looking for people with instinct, desire, game understanding and the Barney is ticking the boxes at the moment.

“He did exceptionally well against Bristol and Northampton after coming on. I could have moved Aled Brew in (from the wing) but I am not going to do that, I’m going to back this young fella.”

Dragons squad: L Byrne, G R Jones, A Brew, M Pewtner, A Hewitt, T Prydie, T Morgan, B Nightingale, J Dixon, J Tovey, A O’Brien, D Jones, J Evans, R Rees, B Stankovich, O Evans, E Dee, R Thomas, H Gustafson, D Way, D Young, L Fairbrother, I Gough, C Hill, R Landman, A Coombs, N Cudd, L Evans, A Powell, T Faletau.

www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/...m_source=twitterfeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Those two centres are talented alright. Handy for Dragons to have both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

If we can get an edge up front we can really get the season off to a good start, most recent game we forced the entirety of their front row off after 30 mins and proceed to destroy them from that start. Pressure on Buckley, Henry and I presume Ah You

freyners wrote: »
    If we can get an edge up front we can really get the season off to a good start, most recent game we forced the entirety of their front row off after 30 mins and proceed to destroy them from that start. Pressure on Buckley, Henry and I presume Ah You

Heffernan more than Henry I hope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hagz wrote: »
    Those two centres are talented alright. Hand for Dragons to have both of them.

I don't know anything about them but I do know in Byrne, Brew, and Prydie they have talented outside backs and in Tovey they've a talented 10 so they could complete a potential very good back line.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know anything about them but I do know in Byrne, Brew, and Prydie they have talented outside backs and in Tovey they've a talented 10 so they could complete a potential very good back line.

18 y-old backs, and Faletau on the bench is good, even if we must keep our composure

Heffernan more than Henry I hope

Until heff tightens the throwing he will remain behind henry in the pecking order. Which is a pity cause he is a real unit around the field

freyners wrote: »
    Until heff tightens the throwing he will remain behind henry in the pecking order. Which is a pity cause he is a real unit around the field

He might have done this to some extent during summertime. He did something like 5 out of 7 for the Clemont game...

He might have done this to some extent during summertime. He did something like 5 out of 7 for the Clemont game...
    I really hope so and 5/7 is a decent return but it still pales compared to the accuracy displayed by Henry and JHW. For me a hooker needs to be hitting as close to 100% each game as possible to be considered a regular starter. Heff has time on his his side so im not worried but fwiw Henry is still ahead of him in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement

The PR machine has certainly gone into overdrive this week, having had a quiet summer.

Advertisement