Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING SCAM ALERT

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to people selling items on the net. I have a camera for sale on donedeal,got a text the other day from an interested person who wanted me to email him details final price etc.
    I sent the details and final price,they responded offering me 50 euro more and wanted my paypal user name to pay,the extra money was for regitered and insured post.
    After I sent the info I got what i know now to be a fake mail from paypal asking for post receipt number so the payment could be made,lso the fake mail which looked genuine mentioned camera which pypal never do and address to send item to, address was in Nigeria,no surprise there,paypal also dont do this.
    They are trying to get electronics and small high value items sent and not pay for them.
    Gardai told me that they probably had someone here sending the info on the for sale items.
    some people who are not well up on internet security are probably getting stung with this scam.
    please pass this on on you facebook,twitter etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 neil.was.taken

Similar thing happened my brother when selling his iPhone on Donedeal.
    We realised something was up and when i looked closely at the email from "paypal" I noticed the address was different from Paypals real email address. I think the fake one had an extra symbol at the end or something.

NWT

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Beretta man

Everything I put up for sale on donedeal I get them emails

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

My wife doesnt have a paypal account but in last 2 weeks she has been getting fake emails from paypal asking to confirm her password !! She has dresses up for sale on done deal at the momoent and the fake emails only started after she put the ads up .Donedeal was obviously hacked .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've gotten plenty of fake e-mails claiming to be PayPal, my bank, etc. all asking to re-set or confirm my password by following a link.

I report them as Paypal, etc have dedicated lines set up and give whatever i can like the address of the e-mails, etc.

However with this scam and the one reported last week i'm starting to think there is a dedicated "attack"" of some sort and they're using or targeting Donedeal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Cass wrote: »
    I've gotten plenty of fake e-mails claiming to be PayPal, my bank, etc. all asking to re-set or confirm my password by following a link.

I report them as Paypal, etc have dedicated lines set up and give whatever i can like the address of the e-mails, etc.

However with this scam and the one reported last week i'm starting to think there is a dedicated "attack"" of some sort and they're using or targeting Donedeal.

Ive been getting them regularly too but dont use Donedeal,also getting them from most of the major banks too my spam is full of them!
    Difference between fake and legit PayPal e mails...PayPal will always use your name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

been getting fake paypal mails daily since this scam started,all demanding that i send item before i got paid,they even threatened to report me to the F.B.I. and other law agencies,,had to laugh at that one.
    All these fake mails contain some poor spelling and grammar so if you read them carefully they are full of mistakes.....Sent him back my own mail telling him I was tracking all his mails and fake paypal mails via ip and mac address and all the people who looked at my donedeal add were being tracked also and being given to the guards no mails from him since that. hopefully he/she has given up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

I don't know apparently I am a millionaire in Nigeria,wheres me pass port.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ya never know lads:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgaRSDVIH7uduR8z4R89zkZn3sP7eljUPiy_pQ7KJqqD9F3GkE
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

A good thing to check if you're unsure is whether the actual email address corresponds with the site it's supposedly from.
    PayPal emails will come from PayPal.com, spam will come from somewhere else.
    They may or may not have a similar address but it won't be exactly the same.
    I'm getting a lot from Irish permanent tsb at the moment.

Bw

Advertisement