Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minecraft Update thread (1.8 Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't like the way trapdoors are set. It does not go with the level of block. Put it goes to the bottom of hole... These would be great for roofs, but like this it's useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

lads, does the tall grass grows in allready made worlds? i cant see any tall grass in my sp game at all, but i can get it when i make new world :(

any ideas on that?
    The tall grass will only show on newly generated chunks, so you either need a new map or go to unexplored portions of your old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

To update or not update, that is the question? Is it worth updateing now, or better just to wait until 1.6 is sorted and stick with 1.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

sarumite wrote: »
    To update or not update, that is the question? Is it worth updateing now, or better just to wait until 1.6 is sorted and stick with 1.5?
    Wait until it's sorted. You're going to lose a lot of items when it crashes randomly (actually mainly when you're crafting). There's not much in it that's going to make you really want to update anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

humanji wrote: »

When you start the game up it'll ask you if you want to update. Just say no and you should be fine.

I never get that option. I always have to roll-back by removing my new minecraft.jar file from the bin folder and then put back the older one that I have online.

Maybe because I'm on OSX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I never get that option. I always have to roll-back by removing my new minecraft.jar file from the bin folder and then put back the older one that I have online.

Im on OSX too and it always asks me if i want to update!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

Did you download the new launcher that was released a few months back? If you still use the old launcher then it updates with asking, but the new one gives you an option.

TheGodBen wrote: »
    Did you download the new launcher that was released a few months back? If you still use the old launcher then it updates with asking, but the new one gives you an option.

Got it! :P

omg.... i had no trouble with any 1.6.* patch. this new one 1.6.4 fecked up everything.... crashing. if i do fullscreen it crashes. frame rate droped like crap.... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1.6.6 is now out, and will be the last update before 1.7, which won't happen for a while thank god.

• Advertisement

* Removed Herobrine
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

just saw that now Humanji :eek::eek::eek:

lads, how can you power up booster rails so you would not see torch or chain coming it it? i mean how to hide it?

i did button lift off station allright. just a lever and all redstone is hidden, but i dont know how to just to supply power to booster rails nicely. chain cant go up to block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

lads, how can you power up booster rails so you would not see torch or chain coming it it? i mean how to hide it?

i did button lift off station allright. just a lever and all redstone is hidden, but i dont know how to just to supply power to booster rails nicely. chain cant go up to block?
    Put the torch below the block on which the rail is.
    Like this:

__
    ::
    I

Where the line is a rail, the colons are blocks and the I is a torch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Put a torch under the rail.

161225.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I watched that last night and it was all a bit meh until the door bit at which point i creamed my pants.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

i like! sticky pistons ftw, opening mountain face lair anyone? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Cant wait to use pistons to make secret bookshelf doors, traps and could be handy for faster farming also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Those pistons are insane, cant wait to try them out

Tankran wrote: »
    i like! sticky pistons ftw, opening mountain face lair anyone? :P

It would be feckin awesome to flick a switch and see some words... nay, a face, suddenly get carved out of the mountains!

The next tricky question is... when? ;)

I giggled like a school girl when I saw the secret entrance bit of their video.

I heard that they are also developing an opposite to the nether. Its going to be in the clouds, possibly with the fairy plugin that was developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I'd like to see the goo used as a kind of concrete, you could lift a couple of blocks with one piston.
    163311.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'd like to see the goo used as a kind of concrete, you could lift a couple of blocks with one piston.
    163311.png

Probably would mean making a goo block instead of something you can just applay to any block you want

I heard that they are also developing an opposite to the nether. Its going to be in the clouds, possibly with the fairy plugin that was developed.
    I think they've put that idea on hold as it had problems they didn't have time to deal with.

humanji wrote: »
    I think they've put that idea on hold as it had problems they didn't have time to deal with.

Found this link there, just a few minutes ago.
    According to this guy... It's already in the game. There just isn't a way of getting to it yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2SZ7QgMdU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Dunno why but the opening of Half life came into my head.On the train/minecart and you come to a point and the door just opens :D.Gonna be awesome.

freaking love it. mostly becouse you can do some bigger doors then 2x1 now. which are **** if you try doing mantion or castle!

i guess it will be ready by next e3 ;)

• Advertisement

Would you think it would be possible for it to work with a railway? Will a block with a track on it work? Would that be movable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Would you think it would be possible for it to work with a railway? Will a block with a track on it work? Would that be movable?
    The pistons mod does anyways.

Underground caverns are coming :D

YNhtV.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Yayhh caverns to fall into and die :D

Im like skylands alot, cant wait till they add mobs and make it offical :)
    Just added it to the test server :D

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/84964200170000384
    Notch wrote:
    1.7 is still nowhere near done. If people want, we could do a piston-only release and push the adventure stuff up to the next update

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/84966257421598720
    Notch wrote:
    I see about 90% "yes" replies. No promises, but I'll discuss it with Jens tomorrow!

Ive been holding back on building stuff coz im waiting for the pistons to come out. Really hope they push it forward so i can stick in some secret mountain entrances.

Saviola wrote: »
    Ive been holding back on building stuff coz im waiting for the pistons to come out. Really hope they push it forward so i can stick in some secret mountain entrances.

Aye same here, sort of :P My house on the boards server will be piston operated, it'll be a small block shape and with the flick of a switch it'll be a hut :pac:

I have a suspicion the dragon will be alot more realistic if we get pistons ;)

I cant wait to hollow out a mountain and create a batcave. None of you will know where it is muhahaha!

slime is about to become the most in demand item in the game

• Advertisement

Notch wrote:
    New blog post: http://t.co/DLQbctb ! TL;DR: 1.7 this with with ONLY pistons. 1.8 in "a long time" with lots of cool adventure stuff.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/85284769608372225

yaaaaay :)

After 1.8, we’ll have to start crunching for the full release in November. That includes finishing up the mod api, improving stability and performance, adding supporting features like friends lists and a proper server browser, integrating singleplayer and multiplayer, and most importantly fleshing out the gameplay.

Really happy about the above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Notch just tweeted that 1.7 is coming this week. The pistons will soon be ours.:D

Notch just tweeted that 1.7 is coming this week. The pistons will soon be ours.:D
    I just said that above :p

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Tankran wrote: »
    slime is about to become the most in demand item in the game

A shame that my slime farm has so far failed to produce anything...

Thursday

That is one of the best mods I've ever seen. Period.

That is one of the best mods I've ever seen. Period.

+1

he just should go to this lad, take his source, pay him money, then just put all in to mc 1.7. done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

+1

he just should go to this lad, take his source, pay him money, then just put all in to mc 1.7. done!
    1.7 is a bit early :P
    Sure the pistons were originally a mod that are now coming in, so if something's good enough then we can all cross our fingers and spam notch to put it in :D

Advertisement