Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

The life of a Redskins fan. Yesterday was a game we easily could have won. It's terribly frustrating. I like your optimism Jack but I think the Saints will rip us apart, they have a load of ball hawks, I expect them to turn us over 2/3 times and destroy us with that run game, quick passing from Brees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

According to Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, 20 team have record of at least .500 at FedEx Field but the Redskins aren’t one of them!

Rob Kelley to the IR. Some bloke off Philly’s practice squad signed to replace him.

Ok, so not quite a red zone situation but the first trip inside NO’s 25 ends in the all too familiar FG.

Last 2 minutes of the 1st half killing the ‘Skins again,

Chris Thompson down. Doesn’t look good. Another big blow.

And look at the big balls on Gruden on the very next play.

And look at the big balls on Gruden on the very next play.

Which he now negates by making a stupid unwinnable challenge

Prevent defense. Never works.

• Advertisement

Prevent defense. Never works.

I repeat. Prevent defense never works.

And that’s 2 weeks in a row with 3rd and under a yard to go, they’ve had awful play calls and execution.

If Gruden hadnt wasted that time out on that stupid challenge, they’d have an extra time out here.

Worst defeat of the year. Gruden takes a lot of the blame on this one.

Updated to broken fibula. He'll be tough to replace going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Updated to broken fibula. He'll be tough to replace going forward.

Well Perine actually is productive but Thompson's pass catching , route running and his hands are going to be almost impossible to replace at this point.

Not that it matters. Our season is done. But this team has a bucket load of potential. Regardless of his bad decisions at times Cousins is the best QB we've had in 20 years. We need to sign him up. Doctson is starting to look like the number 1 we need, Pryor has been a bust so far but we have some weapons to work with Thompson hopefully he comes back. Reed is again , always injured. Davis is productive still although he had a bad drop in the fourth quarter , one that could have iced the game.

We cant defend leads, ever, we're better going all out defence like we did against Seattle, all or nothing. Trust our offence to make plays if the defence screws up because our supposed prevent defence is awful!!!

• Advertisement

Well Perine actually is productive but Thompson's pass catching , route running and his hands are going to be almost impossible to replace at this point.

Not that it matters. Our season is done. But this team has a bucket load of potential. Regardless of his bad decisions at times Cousins is the best QB we've had in 20 years. We need to sign him up. Doctson is starting to look like the number 1 we need, Pryor has been a bust so far but we have some weapons to work with Thompson hopefully he comes back. Reed is again , always injured. Davis is productive still although he had a bad drop in the fourth quarter , one that could have iced the game.

We cant defend leads, ever, we're better going all out defence like we did against Seattle, all or nothing. Trust our offence to make plays if the defence screws up because our supposed prevent defence is awful!!!

As you know, I haven't been the biggest Kirk fan in the world but I was impressed with his performance in Seattle and again this week. I know every team has injuries but he's done very well considering what he's had to play with.

Defence has been poor the past couple of weeks after doing well but I think it's time to put Deangelo Hall out to pasture. He's been badly exposed the past 2 weeks. Having said that, is there anyone better to take his place? Zac Brown's production has dropped off considerably too.

I've liked Jay Gruden for the most past but my patience is running out with him recently. His clock management has always been bad but some of his play calls have been baffling. And I don't think he's very good at adapting to a changing situation in a game. And I hate the way he states in every press conference after a loss "hats off to [insert coach's name], he coached a great game". Every week he says it.

And what the hell is going on in the last 2 minutes of every half...?????

Kirk fighting in basketball games too it seems

https://twitter.com/kirkcousins8/status/933013001082363906

As you know, I haven't been the biggest Kirk fan in the world but I was impressed with his performance in Seattle and again this week. I know every team has injuries but he's done very well considering what he's had to play with.

Defence has been poor the past couple of weeks after doing well but I think it's time to put Deangelo Hall out to pasture. He's been badly exposed the past 2 weeks. Having said that, is there anyone better to take his place? Zac Brown's production has dropped off considerably too.

I've liked Jay Gruden for the most past but my patience is running out with him recently. His clock management has always been bad but some of his play calls have been baffling. And I don't think he's very good at adapting to a changing situation in a game. And I hate the way he states in every press conference after a loss "hats off to [insert coach's name], he coached a great game". Every week he says it.

And what the hell is going on in the last 2 minutes of every half...?????

the last two minutes of the first half seems to be our kryptonite this season. Game changers in a couple of games. Gruden is a good coach. I want us to stick with him and I want us to pay kirk now. We're not getting better on the open market and another rebuilding job is mind numbing to me. With a fit offensive line and a running back we have a serious team. Doctson is going to be Julio Jones esq if he continues his progression. Crowder is having a bad year but I believe he can turn it around, the same with Pryor. It's a different system I think he can turn it around, he's already proven his dedication to work turning himself into a WR in the first place. If Perine can hang onto the ball he could be a workhorse. I still hate that we let Matt Jones go but he does have fumbling issues.

I know they’re not wearing them tonight but have you seen the colour rush jersies they’ll be wearing next week? Gonna need sunglasses for that game!

Nice to wake up and have gotten the win but I wish I hadn’t watched the condensed game on Gamepass. That was awful.

I’m glad I didn’t watch it live though. I would have been going mad. Especially on the first drive when they had 3rd and inches and for the 3rd week in a row, ran the same play and failed yet again.

Cousins sacked 6 times wasn’t pretty but to be expected with the makeshift OL.

• Advertisement

Nice to wake up and have gotten the win but I wish I hadn’t watched the condensed game on Gamepass. That was awful.

I’m glad I didn’t watch it live though. I would have been going mad. Especially on the first drive when they had 3rd and inches and for the 3rd week in a row, ran the same play and failed yet again.

Cousins sacked 6 times wasn’t pretty but to be expected with the makeshift OL.

Despite the pick 6 cousins played well. We're in a weird spot now, run the table we probably make the playoffs, if our O line gets healthy and our play calling improves just a slight bit this could be an interesting run in.

It was tough going alright. Giants defence is tough though and the Redskins putting up 20 on them I was happy enough.

A win was what was needed and that was what was delivered. Given the schedule the Skins give themselves a playoff shot , all in their own hands, they could run the table with 5 very winnable games. @Cowboys, Chargers, Giants and then home to Cardinals and Broncos

Only the chargers game looks daunting. But this is the Redskins.

Posted this in the main nfl page but meant to put it here.

We have a playoff shot, IMO

The full 2hr 10 min audio of the game is now available on the Redskins podcast site if anyone wants to torture themselves.

The full 2hr 10 min audio of the game is now available on the Redskins podcast site if anyone wants to torture themselves.

your alright, once was enough. Nacho's , beer and a thanksgiving day post meal sandwich was all that made it bearable

So Thursday, this is historically a game we f**k up. But we should win. And if we do then we give ourselves, the slimmest of slim chances

So Thursday, this is historically a game we f**k up. But we should win. And if we do then we give ourselves, the slimmest of slim chances

Yep, these are the games that scare me. The Cowboys haven’t scored more than 9 since Zeke sat down so it’s set up for a Redskins win. But as you say, the Redskins don’t generally comply with ‘supposed to win’ games so we’ll see.

Sean Lee and Zach Martin still questionable so they could be missing but if they’re back, it’ll certainly make things more difficult.

Yep, these are the games that scare me. The Cowboys haven’t scored more than 9 since Zeke sat down so it’s set up for a Redskins win. But as you say, the Redskins don’t generally comply with ‘supposed to win’ games so we’ll see.

Sean Lee and Zach Martin still questionable so they could be missing but if they’re back, it’ll certainly make things more difficult.

Lee even if he is back definitely wont be 100% with that hamstring injury. Morris seems to always play well against us as well but their OLine is struggling with injuries as are ours.

Dak has been pretty poor since Zeke went down and I expect our defence to give him problems. I want us to for once go down there and hammer them.

d

I want us to for once go down there and hammer them.

The Redskins always seem to play to the level of their opponents so even games they should win easily, they make it into a nail biter that comes down to the last drive. And I think that’s what we’ll get Thursday.

And in games they should be hammered in, they play well to give us false hope that they might squeak out a win which they invariably don’t (Seattle a few weeks back excluded).

d

Comprehensive :D:D

• Advertisement

Comprehensive :D:D

Damn fat fingers on phone...!!!!

The Redskins always seem to play to the level of their opponents so even games they should win easily, they make it into a nail biter that comes down to the last drive. And I think that’s what we’ll get Thursday.

And in games they should be hammered in, they play well to give us false hope that they might squeak out a win which they invariably don’t (Seattle a few weeks back excluded).

Completely agree. It always comes down to Kirk driving up the field and a short 4th down that we f**k up!

Thank God they're not going with the budgie yellow for the game tonight.

https://twitter.com/redskins/status/936352268785463301

Having said that, if they win they could be wearing clown suits for all I care!

What the hell happened there...????

I've only seen the score and haven't read/seen anything but I wasn't expecting to wake up to that.

I also guarantee Gruden said "hats off to Coach Garett" at some stage during his post game interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I kind of feel bad for Gruden in all of this. Impossible task to keep that offense going with all those injuries to the OL and lack of skill position players. Hope it doesn't cost him his job.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I kind of feel bad for Gruden in all of this. Impossible task to keep that offense going with all those injuries to the OL and lack of skill position players. Hope it doesn't cost him his job.

I know they've been riddled with injuries (as have a lot of teams) and Gruden does deserve some slack for what they've done but I don't think he's a good coach and I wouldn't be too upset if they replaced him at the end of the year. His clock management and understanding of game managing is appalling and I think he's too much of a mate to the players. They need someone who's tough on them and who won't stand for any crap.

I know they've been riddled with injuries (as have a lot of teams) and Gruden does deserve some slack for what they've done but I don't think he's a good coach and I wouldn't be too upset if they replaced him at the end of the year. His clock management and understanding of game managing is appalling and I think he's too much of a mate to the players. They need someone who's tough on them and who won't stand for any crap.

I dont know about that. I think Gruden comes across as a solid guy discipline wise. I think he's getting eaten alive because of injuries but the question marks over Kirk cant be helping this situation.

Right now I want us to do a deal for Cousins even if it means trading him in a year or two.

Injuries haven’t helped alright but most teams have been hit by the injury monster this year.

What I meant by the discipline was that I think there should be a line between coaches and players. He seems like he’s their mate as well as their boss.

Last season in training camp, one of the defense picked him up jokingly and play acted with him. Could you imagine a Patriot doing that to Bellichick..???

I think he’d make a great coordinator but His management of games, especially the clock is bad and as I said, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he was replaced.

Injuries haven’t helped alright but most teams have been hit by the injury monster this year.

What I meant by the discipline was that I think there should be a line between coaches and players. He seems like he’s their mate as well as their boss.

Last season in training camp, one of the defense picked him up jokingly and play acted with him. Could you imagine a Patriot doing that to Bellichick..???

I think he’d make a great coordinator but His management of games, especially the clock is bad and as I said, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he was replaced.

I don't want to start again and that is partially the problem i have with replacing him.

We have talent deficiencies on both sides of the ball at the moment but the Oline when fit is one of the best in football. We let a number of running backs slip through our fingers and our inability to run it is a major problem.

• Advertisement

I don't want to start again and that is partially the problem i have with replacing him.

We have talent deficiencies on both sides of the ball at the moment but the Oline when fit is one of the best in football. We let a number of running backs slip through our fingers and our inability to run it is a major problem.

I think 'one of the best in football' is stretching it a bit for the OL. Yes, they're great at protecting Cousins but even when healthy over the past couple of years, the run game has been awful and that's an equally important job they need to do.

OK some of that is on the RBs and probably the coaches but when you see RBs on other teams glide through openings, I just get so jealous. The amount of times Redskins' RBs get first contact at or behind the line of scrimmage is frustrating.

And following on from this, I was looking at last night’s game and yer man Bell from the Steelers basically stops or pauses for a second or two on a lot of runs and there’s still holes for him to run through.

I know he’s a hell of a lot better runner than anyone who’s played for the Redskins the past couple of years but his OL is great and making gaps and keeping gaps. If he was a Redskin and employed that running strategy, he’d end up with negative yards every game.

And following on from this, I was looking at last night’s game and yer man Bell from the Steelers basically stops or pauses for a second or two on a lot of runs and there’s still holes for him to run through.

I know he’s a hell of a lot better runner than anyone who’s played for the Redskins the past couple of years but his OL is great and making gaps and keeping gaps. If he was a Redskin and employed that running strategy, he’d end up with negative yards every game.

Personally I believe Bell is not a good example. Bell is the best runner in football at hesitating and making a split decision on where the gap is, he's also one of the best at making space for himself and he's a beast in contact.

Our O line created plenty of gaps for Kelly and Jones. Matt Jones had great numbers but he couldnt hold the ball. They've created plenty of space for Thompson too. We just havent had a north south back in a while , not one you could trust, outside of say Morris. Who we never should have let go. And look at him, he has the best O line in the league and he still isn't as productive as his days as a Redskin.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on the OL.

I think Thompson gets most of his yards outside as opposed to through the middle though. The last 1000 yard rusher was Morris back when I would rate the line (only Williams remains from then though).

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on the OL.

I think Thompson gets most of his yards outside as opposed to through the middle though. The last 1000 yard rusher was Morris back when I would rate the line (only Williams remains from then though).

Maybe I am over rating them based on potential. I think they all have upside. But look the one thing we agree on I think is that the Redskins are a shambles and completley unpredictable.

Likely to go and beat the Chanrgers this weekend.

Likely to go and beat the Chanrgers this weekend.

Yep, Redskins are great at winning games that don’t matter.

• Advertisement

Yep, Redskins are great at winning games that don’t matter.

Yep , its the most frustrating thing.

At least I’ll get to have an early night as this game is going to be over at the end of the 1st.

Awful, awful throw by Cousins.

And of course the kick off returner got injured not returning the ball.

A couple of good throws by Cousins on the scoring drive but he’s been off on a good few throws other than that.

Terrible play call on that 4th down attempt as well (#firegruden).

Defense is a joke today. 4 drives for LA and 4 scores. And they’re at the 15 on their 5th.

Chargers with 354 yards in the first half*

Worst performance of the year by the defense.

* more than 11 teams complete games total this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement