Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

We need to set up a Galway City Boards Fuel Co-Op and then negotiate a deal with a non-cartel station. In return for our business we only buy fuel from that station (well, within reason). If we had enough members it could be feasible I would think. AFAIK they do it in other countries, not only limited to fuel but also for utilities such as electricity, gas etc. I don't really know much about it to be honest though. Boards Fuel Card :)

Anyway, I find the station at the bottom of the Dyke Road by Wood Quay to be great. I always try to get my petrol from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Anyway, I find the station at the bottom of the Dyke Road by Wood Quay to be great. I always try to get my petrol from them.

That station is fine for petrol but i wouldn't dare put their diesel in my car. It's a false economy for some considering the costs of replacement fuel pumps and filters. Have heard horror stories from 2 taxi drivers that used that place and there is other information on this forum about that garage so i won't say anything further here.

Common rail diesel engines are very sensitive to poor quality diesel so be very careful if you have a CR engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

hyde wrote: »
    Hi, Ballindooley Fuels have been 140.9 or thereabouts for Diesel for the last 2/3 months. They're the best price around that I've seen. Applegreens have been roughly 143.8 over the same time. Most others must surely be at least 145 -> 148 I think.

That said, do you mind my asking why you're wary about their diesel quality though? I've actually been wondering if I'm paying down the line in that regard, hence the question (just in case you know more on it).

Just noticed the car was becoming a bit sluggish and a smell of fumes started coming into the car after mainly going there for diesel for several months. I know that diesel can vary quite a bit in quality so thought maybe that was it, obviously I could easily be wrong. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. Car going fine again now though. Their petrol is always spot on, still get ours there (don't think petrol quality can vary that much anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

The one heading for Headford out past the "Menlo-Park-Roundabout" around Carrowbrowne was 152 yesterday, that seems to be extraordinarily cheap! For whatever reason it is that cheap I don't know.

The one further in towards town down near where ya turn off for The Black Box is usually always cheap as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So used to the high price of fuel that when I see it cheap I get suspicious now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So used to the high price of fuel that when I see it cheap I get suspicious now!

Haha me too!

I was driving through Tipperary on Monday evening and the lowest I saw was €1.49 per litre for petrol (I think it was a Maxol station). Massive difference compared to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well on the diesel side I was in Celbridge saturday and filled up at the applegreen for 140.9.
    I was through Moycullen yesterday and it's 148.9! that's some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sorry to drag the thread off-topic.

Unfortunately in Ireland, no official body checks the quality of the fuel on behalf of the consumer.

One of my colleagues only ever purchased diesel in one of the stations mentioned above as the price was great.
    His car broke down late last year and as soon as the dealer examined it he suspected washed diesel.
    They got an official test done which confirmed that it was indeed washed diesel.
    He was lucky - he kept all the receipts from the station and using those along with the certified test results, he was able to claim off his insurance and get his car replaced.
    He rang the gardai to make a complaint - they told him that it was a civil matter and Revenue were responsible.
    He called the Revenue - they took his details but he's never heard anything since. The station hasn't been prosecuted and is still operating. Unfortunately, Revenue see their responsibility to the exchequer, not the public.
    Due to the high number of incidents involving laundered fuels, insurance companies have started updating their terms, excluding claims due to poor quality fuels.
    The NSAI, the organisation who look after weights & measures, have no remit to monitor the quality of fuel, just the quantity, so if a petrol or diesel pump supplies a litre of milk instead of fuel, as long as it's a litre, they will pass it.
    We don't have a trading standards office.
    As well as laundered diesel, consumers also need to watch out for petrol-stretching, where paraffin or kerosene is added in small quantities to petrol. This can also cause serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I would too but cheap in Galway city = the norm outside Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

dilallio wrote: »
    Sorry to drag the thread off-topic.

Unfortunately in Ireland, no official body checks the quality of the fuel on behalf of the consumer.

One of my colleagues only ever purchased diesel in one of the stations mentioned above as the price was great.
    His car broke down late last year and as soon as the dealer examined it he suspected washed diesel.
    They got an official test done which confirmed that it was indeed washed diesel.
    He was lucky - he kept all the receipts from the station and using those along with the certified test results, he was able to claim off his insurance and get his car replaced.
    He rang the gardai to make a complaint - they told him that it was a civil matter and Revenue were responsible.
    He called the Revenue - they took his details but he's never heard anything since. The station hasn't been prosecuted and is still operating. Unfortunately, Revenue see their responsibility to the exchequer, not the public.
    Due to the high number of incidents involving laundered fuels, insurance companies have started updating their terms, excluding claims due to poor quality fuels.
    The NSAI, the organisation who look after weights & measures, have no remit to monitor the quality of fuel, just the quantity, so if a petrol or diesel pump supplies a litre of milk instead of fuel, as long as it's a litre, they will pass it.
    We don't have a trading standards office.
    As well as laundered diesel, consumers also need to watch out for petrol-stretching, where paraffin or kerosene is added in small quantities to petrol. This can also cause serious damage.

That's fairly mind boggling if true. What about emergency service vehicles? Surely there must be standards to commercially available fuels for that reason alone. AFAIK the Fire Service, AGS and the Ambulance Service all bulk purchase fuel as well as using on occasion use public fuel stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Woodquay had petrol at 149.9 yesterday
    whilst Topaz had it at 1.577

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Diesel at 1.389 on the Tuam Road on Friday. Don't know where as reported by a friend who is touring and not from the area. Prices do seem to be improving at the moment.
    Also 1.399 in Merlin Park and Derrydonnell recently

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

petrol 149.9 on monivea rd at lafertys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Prices took a nice drop in the last week alright. Petrol currently €1.4542 and diesel €1.3812 with fuel card. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Diesel at 1.389 on the Tuam Road on Friday. Don't know where as reported by a friend who is touring and not from the area. Prices do seem to be improving at the moment.
    Also 1.399 in Merlin Park and Derrydonnell recently

1.38 in claregalway on Friday night. It was 1.39 on my way in to Galway earlier in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Prices are expected to fall further over the next week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Prices are expected to fall further over the next week or two

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Be very very careful about purchasing suspiciously cheap diesel from non-branded outlets who prefer to sell cash-only.
    If it seems too good to be true, it frequently is. I have witnessed unmarked white tankers (with border county plates) discharging fuel at some of these outlets in the dead of night. Maybe its legit, but there are too many warning bells ringing in my head to trust these places. Personally I buy all my diesel from the big fuel distributor's depot on the Tuam Road beside Rocca Tiles (I cant mention the name) as at its usually a fair bit cheaper than the stations in town and the most likely reason for this is the lack of a middle man in the supply chain. Hopefully this fuel is what comes straight from the unloading terminal in the docks. For several years I have been filling from the same pumps as local coach companies, haulage trucks etc so I would guess if it was less than perfect quality these guys would know all about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Filled up in Topaz Kinnegad yesterday €1.38 a litre for Diesel.

• Advertisement

Topaz in Kilcolgan is probably one of the most expensive stations in the country, I cant see how they are selling a drop of fuel (except to those with fuel cards with set weekly prices).

I regularly fill up in Topaz Charleville when driving back to Galway at weekends and it usually 8 to 10 cent a litre more expensive in Kilcolgan. That is a massive massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Topaz in Kilcolgan is probably one of the most expensive stations in the country, I cant see how they are selling a drop of fuel (except to those with fuel cards with set weekly prices).

I regularly fill up in Topaz Charleville when driving back to Galway at weekends and it usually 8 to 10 cent a litre more expensive in Kilcolgan. That is a massive massive difference.

Topaz in Kilcolgan is probably second to Quinns in Labane!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Topaz in Kilcolgan is probably second to Quinns in Labane!

They are similar but I have yet to see Topaz Kilcolgan be cheaper than Quinns, and its usually a cent or so more expensive.

Be very very careful about purchasing suspiciously cheap diesel from non-branded outlets who prefer to sell cash-only.
    If it seems too good to be true, it frequently is. I have witnessed unmarked white tankers (with border county plates) discharging fuel at some of these outlets in the dead of night. Maybe its legit, but there are too many warning bells ringing in my head to trust these places. Personally I buy all my diesel from the big fuel distributor's depot on the Tuam Road beside Rocca Tiles (I cant mention the name) as at its usually a fair bit cheaper than the stations in town and the most likely reason for this is the lack of a middle man in the supply chain. Hopefully this fuel is what comes straight from the unloading terminal in the docks. For several years I have been filling from the same pumps as local coach companies, haulage trucks etc so I would guess if it was less than perfect quality these guys would know all about it ?

Is that the Corrib Oil depot?
    I presume you have to be driving a commercial/business vehicle to get diesel there?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

You don't have to have a commercial vehicle to purhase diesel there. Using it for years got diesel yesterday @ 138.9 its 145 to 148 at most retail outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Same here try to fill up anywhere its cheaper than Galway and im on a fuel card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I got 149.9 in a Topaz in Dublin on Sunday but see 1.56.9 in a Galway Topaz. It should drop soon but there always seems to be a 3 cent differential at least. Why the rip off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

folbotcar wrote: »
    I got 149.9 in a Topaz in Dublin on Sunday but see 1.56.9 in a Galway Topaz. It should drop soon but there always seems to be a 3 cent differential at least. Why the rip off?
    Cos we're worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Is that the Corrib Oil depot?
    I presume you have to be driving a commercial/business vehicle to get diesel there?

Nope, anybody can go into the yard (or the 24/7 self service pump outside) and purchase diesel from these guys - pay by cash or by card and get a receipt ;)

You dont need to be a commercial operator. Private motorists are equally welcome. 138.9c per litre today for road diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

149.9 for petrol in the Topaz by Silverstrand this morning so prices dropping in Galway, not sure on diesel cost

Advertisement