Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,839 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Got an email from Sky yesterday re Sky Go and the Xbox 360 if its any help to anyone.
    We're making some changes

Hello muffler,

From 29 July, customers will need to sign up to Sky Go Extra to watch Sky Go on an Xbox 360. As an existing Sky Go Extra customer, the good news is these changes don't affect you. You can keep enjoying the TV you love on your Xbox 360, along with all of the other great benefits Sky Go Extra has to offer.

With Sky Go Extra, not only can you watch live and on demand TV from Sky on your Xbox 360, but you can also download great TV shows, movies and box sets (depending on your TV package) to your compatible laptop, mobile or tablet via WiFi. Then, watch them later absolutely anywhere – even without an internet connection. You can also register up to four devices, two more than Sky Go.

Thank you for being a Sky customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

muffler wrote: »
    Got an email from Sky yesterday re Sky Go and the Xbox 360 if its any help to anyone.

Does that mean, that even though you don't download the movies you now need to pay Sky an extra €5/month for this service?

I am glad I use a laptop for my player, and have a good enough internet connection to not need to download the movies.

A laptop allows access to RTE player, TV3 player etc, along with youtube etc.

A few years ago I had no choice but to download the movies as my internet was too slow for real time viewing.

Talk about bait and switch....free...no extra charge...until we start charging.

And the gas thing is it's a fiver, but you only get access to whatever TV package you are on, so if you do not have the movies and sports, you still pay the fiver for a more limited choice, but if the suckers pay, they will never stop increasing prices.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Does that mean, that even though you don't download the movies you now need to pay Sky an extra €5/month for this service?
    Thats pretty much it. Anyone who watches Sky Go on the Xbox 360 and wishes to continue will now have to pay an extra €5 a month to get Sky Go extra.

The only plus to come out of this is that its Xbox 360 only and no other devices are affected. If anyone feels they cant live without it then the bonus is that they can have up to 4 devices registered under Sky Go extra........but can only watch on 2 of those devices at any given time.

As a little aside if anyone has multi room or multiscreen as its now called they should be getting the Sky Go extra at no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

liaml1974 wrote: »
    typical sky robbing B*******. Now we have to upgrade to HD package if we want to download box sets. From sky website see below.

"Here's the legal bit

From 30 September, ROI customers will require a Sky HD subscription to access Box Sets.

24 LIVE ANOTHER DAY © 2014 Fox and its related entities. All rights reserved. Hannibal © 2014 Chiswick 2 Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Scandal © ABC Studios. Ray Donovan © Showtime Networks Inc. All rights reserved. Banshee SM under licence from Home Box Office, Inc. The F1 logo, F1, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One group company. All rights reserved."

Just saw this myself on the website while researching multi screen, that's obviously why they were giving away the free on demand connectors, get us hooked and then take it away!
    How much is a HD sub anyway? Not that I'll get it just to enable me to download boxsets!
    It's a bummer though, loved the boxsets option.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    How much is a HD sub anyway?
    It's €15 but they quite often give 50% off deals. You just need to check that it doesnt tie you into another 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

having issues with downloading using upc bb, usually says downloaded after 6%, only managed once to download. went through call with sky next is a call out. however wondering if there something that needs to change on the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    having issues with downloading using upc bb, usually says downloaded after 6%, only managed once to download. went through call with sky next is a call out. however wondering if there something that needs to change on the router?

I use UPC BB for Sky. No changes needed to router. Are you using a cable between the router and the Sky box? or Wifi? If not using a cable try a long ethernet network cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

liaml1974 wrote: »
    typical sky robbing B*******. Now we have to upgrade to HD package if we want to download box sets. From sky website see below.

"Here's the legal bit

From 30 September, ROI customers will require a Sky HD subscription to access Box Sets.

24 LIVE ANOTHER DAY © 2014 Fox and its related entities. All rights reserved. Hannibal © 2014 Chiswick 2 Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Scandal © ABC Studios. Ray Donovan © Showtime Networks Inc. All rights reserved. Banshee SM under licence from Home Box Office, Inc. The F1 logo, F1, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One group company. All rights reserved."

Got that notice....too expensive in my opinion...Netflix is a much better option for cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Is there any marketplace where I could buy someones extra registered device slot on Sky Go to get sky sports does anyone know?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

neacy69 wrote: »
    Got that notice....too expensive in my opinion...Netflix is a much better option for cheaper

What sad here is I'd stopped torrenting TV episodes due to all the box sets on Sky.
    Back to the darkside for me so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Some of my box sets are still available eg Lost, Prision Break, Arrow and some are not eg Agents of Shield. What's the story there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

the newsroom series 2 is the only tv series I was waiting for from sky boxed sets

HD pack should be scrapped as freesat/saorview have plenty of HD TV content for free

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Some of my box sets are still available eg Lost, Prision Break, Arrow and some are not eg Agents of Shield. What's the story there?

I went in last night & downloaded Season 2 of Waking Dead & series 3 of the West Wing no problem & I don't have a HD sub.
    Perhaps they've rowed back on the threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Downloads have gotten so slow for me, I could usually watch the programme in a matter of seconds after 2 or 3% downloaded, now it's taking hours more often than not. Anyone else having issues with download speeds?

It's over Wifi but I've a fairly consistent 40-45mb download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Big issues for a lot of people both here and in the UK ,sky don't seem to know what's going on a big thread about it here.The more people that let them know the better. This is the link http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/On-Demand-Downloads-very-slow-What-is-normal/m-p/2176089#M52229

harr wrote: »
    Big issues for a lot of people both here and in the UK ,sky don't seem to know what's going on a big thread about it here.The more people that let them know the better. This is the link http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/On-Demand-Downloads-very-slow-What-is-normal/m-p/2176089#M52229

Cheers, thought it might have been equipment on my end. It's gotten really bad lately, to the point where I would start to download an episode up to 2 hours before I planned on watching it, that's not very "On Demand"
    I could download a series in that time from a less than legal source...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Cheers, thought it might have been equipment on my end. It's gotten really bad lately, to the point where I would start to download an episode up to 2 hours before I planned on watching it, that's not very "On Demand"
    I could download a series in that time from a less than legal source...
    Very slow for me as well it took me nearly 6 hours to download a 3.9gb program last week and could not view it till it was nearly 50% download .
    Not getting what we are paying for...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Downloads have gotten so slow for me, I could usually watch the programme in a matter of seconds after 2 or 3% downloaded, now it's taking hours more often than not. Anyone else having issues with download speeds?

It's over Wifi but I've a fairly consistent 40-45mb download speed.

I used it just last night without any problems. Was able to start watching after less than a minute.

peking97 wrote: »
    I used it just last night without any problems. Was able to start watching after less than a minute.

Yeah, me too for the pilot of The Blacklist in HD, no problem at all, not more than 20 seconds after I started the download. I went to watch the next episode and it took a good 15 minutes to go from 1% to 2%. The second instance is sadly the more regular occurrence for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭fabvinny

no more downloading boxsets now unless you are paying for a HD subscription?? rip off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 the_rovers_one

Upgraded the UPC broadband the other day now I can't connect to On Demand.. Anyone know how to fix this??

I went from an old router to a horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Upgraded the UPC broadband the other day now I can't connect to On Demand.. Anyone know how to fix this??

I went from an old router to a horizon box.

You need HD to connect to On Demand now so that might be it.

You need HD to connect to On Demand now so that might be it.

That's only for box sets isn't it?

That's only for box sets isn't it?
    Correct. And the requirement to have HD for the boxsets kicks in at the end of this month and not September as had been originally stated by Sky....or at least thats what I was told by Sky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 the_rovers_one

I have the HD subscription. I have everything needed. I've entered the new wifi codes into the sky boxes but they won't connect to on demand. It's saying 'Connection to Router:OK', 'Connection to On Demand:FAIL'. I've reset the network settings and entered it manually still no change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Correct. And the requirement to have HD for the boxsets kicks in at the end of this month and not September as had been originally stated by Sky....or at least thats what I was told by Sky. :)

any boxsets that have been downloaded will still be available to watch,is that correct? Had been expecting them to be gone by the end of September,but didn't want to contact Sky in case they took them away! Won't be getting HD in order to watch them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Downloads seem to vary for me. With boardwalk empire episodes were available to watch within 10% it seemed but now I'm watching Spartacus and lots of times it waits until 40-55% complete to be available. Just started leaving a few episodes download each night I'm not using it so that they're there, ready to watch when I want.

Really want to rewatch The Wire on this since the quality is better than how I watched it the first time, don't like how they stretch it instead of using the original aspect ratio though, but getting rid of sky altogether next month probably. As much as I like the ease of using on demand instead of downloading through other means, the whole thing's just not worth the price with the other options available these days. I know it's the same in most places too, but the HD channels are only 720p or 1080i instead of full 1080p so although its obviously better than the SD channels its still disappointing.

maryfred wrote: »
    any boxsets that have been downloaded will still be available to watch,is that correct?
    They should be. I searched a few emails, letters and also online but I cant find where I read about 30th November being the date that a HD sub is required to view the boxsets.

Watch away anyhow as the cut off date will apply equally to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I have the HD subscription. I have everything needed. I've entered the new wifi codes into the sky boxes but they won't connect to on demand. It's saying 'Connection to Router:OK', 'Connection to On Demand:FAIL'. I've reset the network settings and entered it manually still no change.

Exact same thing happening for me. Extremely frustrating. On Demand works about 50% of the time, the other time it'll give me that error - "Connection to Router:OK', 'Connection to On Demand:FAIL".

Anyone know of a solution or the cause?

EDIT: Went to Settings > Network and Reset connection by pressing Red button, entered wifi password and this looks to have fixed it...for now anyway. Will keep it monitored. Our broadband speed is low (2-6mb) and sometimes drops so maybe this is the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

They should be. I searched a few emails, letters and also online but I cant find where I read about 30th November being the date that a HD sub is required to view the boxsets.

Watch away anyhow as the cut off date will apply equally to everyone.

Box sets have gone,I'm assuming since the end of November. Just tried to download the Scandal boxset,but got the
    "upgrade your package" message. No thanks Sky.

Advertisement