Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmond Grand Hibernian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It was in one of the reports after the Ufton Nervet derailment that the removal of the partition MAY have contributed to 3 of the coaches "folding" in the middle.

That was an awful crash, I know that crossing fairly well.

Several 5 ton bogies became detached after a 100mph collision and completely buckled one of the middle coaches.

It's amazing that a lot more people weren't killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Belmond loco 216 was spotted out in the open at Inchicore today.

Wonder will it soon be back on that main line for some test runs after 6 years of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hope it goes back for a nicer colour paint first! ;) That green will clash horribly with the dark blue coaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Belmond loco 216 was spotted out in the open at Inchicore today.

Wonder will it soon be back on that main line for some test runs after 6 years of storage.
    Treadhead wrote: »
    Hope it goes back for a nicer colour paint first! ;) That green will clash horribly with the dark blue coaches...

Should be on test soon on the IWTs before heading to York Road for further system tests.

Before entering service with Belmond it is to be repainted blue to match the coaches.

The Grand Hibernian logo was revealed a while back, surprised it hasn't already been shown here.

https://twitter.com/deeplondon/status/665183115317522432

• Advertisement

Belmond Grand Hibernian "Waterford" cabin interior finish.

1451899760944.jpg

"Sligo" dining car interior finish.

1451899761491.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GM228 wrote: »
    Belmond Grand Hibernian "Waterford" cabin interior finish.

1451899760944.jpg

"Sligo" dining car interior finish.

1451899761491.jpg

Just a shame it will be visiting neither locations.

Why not Sligo, nothing stopping a 201 going there anymore and 220 cleared the route a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Why not Sligo, nothing stopping a 201 going there anymore and 220 cleared the route a few years back.

Because Belmond haven't included Sligo or Waterford for that matter, on their itineries. Its Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Belfast and the north Antrim coast. These destinations are all underpinned by major Irish tourist attractions. Furthermore both Sligo and Waterford would require a lot of back tracking for the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Some potentially relevant news to Belmond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35663773
    The MJM Group has agreed to buy the former Shackleton Barracks military base in Ballykelly, County Londonderry...

...Aside from fitting out planes, MJM is planning a rail carriage fit-out facility and an IT services centre .

And related to that:

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/02/26/news/mivan-win-2-5m-contract-to-work-on-plush-new-belmond-grand-hibernian-train-431045/
    Mivan, owned by Brian McConville - who also owns MJM Group - will be tasked with remodelling 10 original carriages into 20 ensuite cabins, two dining cars and an observation car at the company headquarters in Antrim.

I'm assuming MJM/Mivan won't be fitting out the Belmond carriages here this year, but the Derry line passes through the Ballykelly site.

So is there a chance that this is where Belmond will end up storing their carriages in the off season?

Here's the Ballykelly site.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.0596001,-7.0281113,351m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement

postitnote wrote: »
    I'm assuming MJM/Mivan won't be fitting out the Belmond carriages here this year, but the Derry line passes through the Ballykelly site.

So is there a chance that this is where Belmond will end up storing their carriages in the off season?

Here's the Ballykelly site.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.0596001,-7.0281113,351m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm surprised this is only been reported now, the contract was signed early last year and the Mk3s are already in Antrim at an advanced stage of fitting out having arrived there late 2015.

IE will store/maintain the set under contract off season initially at Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Some more info coming out on this now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland-s-new-luxury-train-will-have-fiddling-flutes-and-fairy-tales-1.2651829#.Vz2kxhR33lg
    Travelling in style around Ireland is going to cost from €3,160 to €7, 722 for 2-6 days on the country’s first luxury sleeper train which starts rolling in August. Six hundred guests have already booked for this year and the train is will only operate from August to October
    The train will comprise of five sleeping carriages, each with four en suite cabins, two dining cars, one observation car, two service cars for kitchens, storage and staff quarters. Each car will be called after a county in Ireland.
    Every night after dinner there will be entertainment in the Kildare carriage, and it could be fiddles and flutes or fairy tales. Guests will sleep at night in various sidings around the country.

image.jpg

The observation car looks really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Is there that many sidings left in the country ?!

Exactly my thinking, most have been lifted at this stage and most of the ones left intact are for stabling engineering trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I very much doubt they will be in actual sidings; afaik the rule book strictly prohibits it. In many countries what we would call a passing loop they call sidings, I suspect that is where the confusion comes from.

I very much doubt they will be in actual sidings; afaik the rule book strictly prohibits it. In many countries what we would call a passing loop they call sidings, I suspect that is where the confusion comes from.

The train will have it's own unique set of operating conditions which will include a provision for operating in/out of sidings with passengers onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Plan is to stable overnight in platform, Athlone, Mallow, Charleville, Ballybrophy, Limerick Junction etc. It is not proposed to travel overnight, so park up, sleep, wake up, go

As top and tail may be involved there will be some rules/provision for this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The observation car looks really well.

Hope the exterior has been re-worked, there was a sneak peek of it in unlined blue a while back, looked a bit like a back street cut-and-shut job. :pac:

Hope the exterior has been re-worked, there was a sneak peek of it in unlined blue a while back, looked a bit like a back street cut-and-shut job. :pac:

It still looks the same I believe!

22323880945_b46a39ba1e_m.jpg

• Advertisement

Pass level Inter Cert metalwork there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Will the staff sleep on board too? Or will they be shipped off to a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

afatbollix wrote: »
    Will the staff sleep on board too? Or will they be shipped off to a hotel.

Two service cars to look after kitchen, storage and staff quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jawfin

I'm confident that there's a kitchen in each of the dining cars, plus a load of pantries in one of them, and a seperate staff car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It still looks the same I believe!

22323880945_b46a39ba1e_m.jpg

The proverbial back of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

How will drivers be rostered. They wouldn't be staying on board overnight would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭timber train

They be staying at a 4 or 5☆ hotel overnight i guess 😊😊😊

tabbey wrote: »
    The proverbial back of a bus.

Have seen far better looking backs of buses.

Just looking in the photo thread of the picture taken in Northwall just days ago and there is a Mk3 in the area where they were stored before they were shipped off to Scotland for the Belmond refit. It's my understanding that all 10 Belmond Mk3s have been and are all back in Belfast for their interior fittout.

Anyone any idea what the last Mk3 coach is, or who it's going to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Without wishing to cause any upset, if something's not done with it soon it may have to be on its way to Hamill's.

Advertisement