Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Carina is pretty much the same weight as the 147.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

From my experience with one; they can certainly move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Quite surprised at this but the 147 is 1700kg and the Carina is nearly 1300kg.
    Seriously wouldn't have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

bear1 wrote: »

According to wiki: Curb weight 1,200–1,360 kg (2,650–3,000 lb)
    Also 1700kg seems awful heavy some BMW's don't even weigh that.

Yep, I doubled checked. It was gross weight I quoted not curb weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Crumple zones, re-enforcement, airbags, safety rubbish would weigh a good bit. The engine isn't light either, it's an ignorant heavy f*cker, same with the gearbox. So I'm not really surprised.

That 147 weighs 100kg less than the W126 here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

B00056718 wrote: »
    The car below is my own.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-147-2-0-t-spark/7572914#

Though somebody might be interested.

Will have to do with iPhone pictures for now.

That looks decent, but I think you're asking too little...a bit like that gtv last week.

Anyway, I've linked the add onto a chap I know that's been looking for a manual 2.0 that's not in good condition for the last 6 months.
    Good luck with the sale! :)

dgt wrote: »
    Crumple zones, re-enforcement, airbags, safety rubbish would weigh a good bit. The engine isn't light either, it's an ignorant heavy f*cker, same with the gearbox. So I'm not really surprised.

That 147 weighs 100kg less than the W126 here :(

Try swapping a 2.4 engine over...
    I think as well that the 156 GTA actually weighs just 10kg more than the 147 GTA.

I think as well that the 156 GTA actually weighs just 10kg more than the 147 GTA.

And the gta weighs 60 odd kg more than the standard 156 2.5.
    Get the a in gta is the italian for lightened! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I can go better: busso V6 :(

GTA in those were an insult to what a GTA is meant to be! Besides, my 156 weighed approx 1350kg when it had the old engine, the GTA I think was well over 1500kg, nearing 1600kg in comparison :(

• Advertisement

200k mile, 2006 mondeo 2.0 TDci asking price of €2000, ex taxi, 17 months NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/7561102

I think this might be a decent option.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The belts were done by that owner
    with a folder of paperwork

If the owner did the cambelt, he probably did pretty much all servicing himself then?

If your folder of paperwork has lots and lots of receipts for service kits, oil filters, pads / discs and indeed a timing belt kit / waterpump, but no invoices for any labour / garages, it would look quite convincing that indeed he did all the work himself

Did you advertise the car on Alfa / Italian forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

sblythe wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-gti/7570893

Nice. I'd buy this if it wasn't so far away. My uncle had one years ago, was a class car.

That was for sale in Limerick a couple of months ago, strange that the new owner wants rid fairly quick. Lovely car though and if genuine a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

unkel wrote: »
    If the owner did the cambelt, he probably did pretty much all servicing himself then?

If your folder of paperwork has lots and lots of receipts for service kits, oil filters, pads / discs and indeed a timing belt kit / waterpump, but no invoices for any labour / garages, it would look quite convincing that indeed he did all the work himself

Did you advertise the car on Alfa / Italian forums?

I haven't. Only donedeal so far. Work is taking up most of my day so will take decent photos and advertise it in more places on Sunday.
    Never actually thought of the Alfa forums. Makes sense. Would get me straight to the target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sblythe wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-gti/7570893

Nice. I'd buy this if it wasn't so far away. My uncle had one years ago, was a class car.
    3S-GE 2nd generation engine, developed with Yamaha, is non-interference and pre-BEAMS.

Anyone know how this car rates insurance-wise?

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

That just screams scam to me.
    The first thing that would put me off is that the front window doesn't seem to have any disks holder.
    Number plate hidden as per usual and the price is just way too low imo.
    The fact that all these cars seem to be around Meath is a pity as you will always be weary of any cars (genuine or not) for sale there.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-seat-ibiza-new-nct-and-tax/7572042
    This just got sold in 2 hours???

Could it really have been a scam??

Dia1988 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-seat-ibiza-new-nct-and-tax/7572042
    This just got sold in 2 hours???

Could it really have been a scam??

Is the scam not something along the lines of buy car with fake draft, sell car cheap, seller goes to lodge draft but then finds out it's fake.
    In the mean time the scammer has sold the car on for cash.
    Person who has bought the car loses the car when the gardai come knocking.

Esel wrote: »
    3S-GE 2nd generation engine, developed with Yamaha, is non-interference and pre-BEAMS.

Anyone know how this car rates insurance-wise?

Shouodnt be any higher than a similar engined Celica.
    Superstrut equipped I think, worse than the insurance if it needs work in the future, some pass NCT when worn too depending on testers knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Is the scam not something along the lines of buy car with fake draft, sell car cheap, seller goes to lodge draft but then finds out it's fake.
    In the mean time the scammer has sold the car on for cash.
    Person who has bought the car loses the car when the gardai come knocking.

Yes, but they'd do that with more high value cars, 899 euro wouldnt be worth it.

Surely people arent gullible enough to fall for "ill post on the NCT/Tax/logbook" or it would need to be a very convincing NCT/tax cert.
    But then it doesnt cost anything to verify NCT/tax through carsireland

It wouldn't surprise me if that Seat shows back up on DD with a higher price.
    Something just didn't seem right to me with that car.

• Advertisement

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Yes, but they'd do that with more high value cars, 899 euro wouldnt be worth it.

Surely people arent gullible enough to fall for "ill post on the NCT/Tax/logbook" or it would need to be a very convincing NCT/tax cert.
    But then it doesnt cost anything to verify NCT/tax through carsireland

Suppose that's true. But generally scams work better when the price is cheap cheap. I'm less likely to worry about the car if it's 800 euro whereas I'll be doing all manor of checks of its 8000. People are more susceptible to having the wool pulled over their eyes when there isn't that much money at stake.

Another reason why a poster mentioned the car might be a scam was the location. Last year a load of nct certs were stolen. Again buy a death trap, slap one of those certs on it and sell it to some person, who isn't doing the checks because it isn't an awful lot of money for a car with test

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just out of interest - have the serial numbers of the stolen NCT certs/discs been published anywhere?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Esel wrote: »
    Just out of interest - have the serial numbers of the stolen NCT certs/discs been published anywhere?

3711250 - 3711750

3830751 -3831250

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is that Carina E GTi the same one that popped up on here some months ago????

Same colour - and body shape (liftback)

IF its the same car - I say IF its the same car - it was originally put down as been located in Newcastle West if I remember correctly - but now - its in Kerry.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is that Carina E GTi the same one that popped up on here some months ago????

Same colour - and body shape (liftback)

IF its the same car - I say IF its the same car - it was originally put down as been located in Newcastle West if I remember correctly - but now - its in Kerry.

It is that exact same car.
    Can't remember when it was posted but if I had to hazard a guess it would be around May?
    Very easy to remember that particular car especially with the number plates in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Probably more dreamernomics
    A rare old one owner diesel..
    Even rarer is the fact that it is the one owner who is actually selling.!
    Test September '15
    Asking €2,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-205-td/7481189

32100897.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cool car imo. Looks well minded too.

Wouldn't pay 2k for it that being said.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Cool car imo. Looks well minded too.

Wouldn't pay 2k for it that being said.

Always hard to value a car like this - on the one hand a 205 is surely a future classic if it isn't one already.

On the other hand - the cool 205 that everyone will want has 2 less doors and a GTi badge.

Peugeot DID help lead the way along with VW in terms of progressing diesels in cars in the late 70s and the mid 80s - and the 205 diesel was part of that for Peugeot.

But while that gives novelty value - its probably not of that much interest to most. That one IS a nice example though

Btw - im not knocking the car - I actually think its cool - but its hard to see it attracting its 2 k asking price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Had one for a job in security when I was a student for a few nights. Wheelspin in 2nd no problem, pretty pokey engine and a very light car

The one I had, had nearly 700k km on it and not a bother on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement