Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

They are as lethal as a .22 when it comes to vermin... Air rifles are extremely dangerous... and no you definately wouldn't like to be shot by one... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Nema wrote:
    It was a joke! But tbh i dont see airgun as a real gun, Still wouldnt like to get hit by one,
    At a range of 200 yds I'd rather be hit with a shotgun than an airgun.

Real gun indeed! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

The thing is i shoot a 6.5x55 Swe, And always have been shooting full bore rifles.

The thing is i shoot a 6.5x55 Swe, And always have been shooting full bore rifles. So air rifles never came in to it for me, Anyways them to there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Nema wrote:
    The thing is i shoot a 6.5x55 Swe, And always have been shooting full bore rifles. So air rifles never came in to it for me, Anyways them to there own.

Let me get you a shovel, to dig a bigger hole. :D Seriously though it's just a matter of scale! Air rifle can be just as enjoyable as full bore, being ex military I did a lot of full bore, BUT with air rifle you dont need acres of land, almighty backstops etc..etc, and can still hone your shooting technique. Having lived in London years ago, air rifle and pistol were not restricted and I was able to practice in my own garden. (safely of course). Never got into the whole ISSF Style though.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And when you get down to it Nema, comparing the MOA of the target will give you an idea of the difficulty of the sport. Trust me, ISSF Air Rifle and ISSF 300m shooting are really close in terms of difficulty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i think they're great friend of mine bought an expensive one wasnt a target gun well it was real heavy but wasnt all adjustable like all the others anyway had alot of fun shooting targets and a couple of small birds with it :rolleyes: but its handy for practicin and very cheap and you can shoot it where you like dont have to worry bout anything can shoot them in the air of anything

Sparks wrote:
    And when you get down to it Nema, comparing the MOA of the target will give you an idea of the difficulty of the sport. Trust me, ISSF Air Rifle and ISSF 300m shooting are really close in terms of difficulty :D

:D Can any Air Rifle hit the bull at 1000yards?

When is youre next comp on il drop and have a look if you dont mind,?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i dont know if you got what he said or just taking the piss but from what i gather airrifle targets are much smaller and the markings closer together and the scopes not as strong so you might as well be shooting at 1000 yards its just more practical in certain circumstances

Nema, next competition is in UCD this weekend, feel free to drop in and take a peek - the Sunday would probably be best as you'd get to watch the finals as well.

And no, can't hit the bull at 1000 yards, but our ten-ring is 1 millimetre wide at 10 metres distance, shot from the standing position (peep sights) - how's that compare to yours?

• Advertisement

Ok, What time on Sunday?

Last detail's at 1400, finishing at 1545, the final should be about a half-hour afterwards. If you showed up around 1520 or so, you'd get a decent look at both the qualifying round and finals.

(Open invite, by the way, the more the merrier).

Sure man il drop down give you my support :D

PS:: Were is UCD lol?

How do you get all the gear in a college club from one spot to another with only one car? :D

DSC01585.JPG

UCDRC's new safety cages for their air pistols, in use at the end of the UCD Open:
    DSC01608.JPG

DSC01609.JPG

DSC01611.JPG

Photos taken from the Munich World Cup this year.

img_0739_std.jpg
    img_0890_std.jpg
    The airgun hall. Probably the best air rifle/pistol range in the world.

img_0843_std.jpg
    img_0730_std.jpg
    The trailers outside the ranges, where Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, H&N, and just about any other manufacturer has a tent to show their products.

img_0785_std.jpg
    The display screen from the Finals hall (this one's for air pistol).

img_0851_std.jpg
    The new Steyr air rifle.

img_0921_std.jpg
    img_0931_std.jpg
    img_0937-1_std.jpg
    Ryan Tanoue, who won the Men's air rifle match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Glock 17 9mm and CZ Silhouette .22lr

DSCF2668.JPG

An air pistol firing point laid out for competition...

DSCF0543.JPG

...as compared to an air rifle firing point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

ambro25 wrote:
    Not a M60, but a Russian RPK-74, I believe
    The machine gun in the first 2 pictures of that post is a PKM

The original third picture of that post (the one I was referring to, which is now a broken link) was a person holding an M60 in a way which showed how little they knew about handling firearms
    ambro25 wrote:
    Same caliber, though (7.62):
    The PKM fires 7.62x54R M1908/30 Russian ammunition. The M60 fires 7.62X51 NATO ammunition. Interchanging either of these 2 types of ammunition, either with each other or with 7.62X39 M43 Russian (as fired by the AK47 and the RPK) will result either in a weapon that refuses to load, or a weapon which explodes in your hands.

Similar results occur if you try to use 5.56X45 SS109 or M193 in an AK74, or 5.45X39 in a weapon chambered for 5.56X45, such as the AR15/M16. 5.56X45 SS109 and M193 are however interchangeable, but accuracy will suffer depending on the rifling twist of the barrel used (1 twist in 12 inches is best for M193, 1 in 7 is best for SS109. 1 in 9 gives acceptable accuracy with both)

Moral of the story: There's loads of types of ammo. Mixing them up is a bad idea.

(if the mods want I'll add loads of pictures comparing the sizes of the types of ammo I talk about in this post, to keep this on topic)

*removes anorak and walks off*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sparks wrote:
    How do you get all the gear in a college club from one spot to another with only one car? :D

DSC01585.JPG

I don't know if anyone ever took a photo, but we jammed my Fiesta with both all the DURC and all the UCD gear at one point when leaving Sarsfield Barracks and the Limerick Open one year.

It was so stuffed that the rear view mirror got knocked off, and I had to use my left arm to change gears and use the handbrake since my right arm wouldn't twist enough to access the lever. (I had a left-hand-drive car)

NTM

That's going back a fair ways Manic. Probably to when I started in DURC or even before it :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

My Tikka T3 Tactical .223 rem:

A shot from the British Airgun Championships of our own Original Psycho:
    DSCF2956.JPG

More to follow later when I get time; probably tomorrow evening.

Some photos from last year's Judges course:

DSCF1709.JPG
    DSCF1710.JPG
    The new ISSF jacket stiffness gauge in action.

DSCF1719.JPG
    The Cadet's lodge, Bisley Camp. Clean, basic, character-building :D

DSCF1726.JPG
    The Century range, behind the lodge. 50m,100yds,300yds,500yds and 600yds :D

DSCF1727.JPG
    DSCF1732.JPG
    The Lord Robert's Centre, Bisley.

DSCF1733.JPG
    DSCF1734.JPG
    The air rifle range in the LRC isn't always deployed for large competitions; here is the far left third as set up in between competitions, for training. Only a few suis ascor units are left exposed; for the rest, electric target changers are used.

DSCF1737.JPG
    The far right third is converted to an indoor hockey rink; this raises cash between competitions.

DSCF1738.JPG
    DSCF1739.JPG
    And the NSRA offices, which the cash pays for :D

And some photos from the Championships from a few weeks ago:

DSCF3018.JPG
    The provisional scores being posted.

DSCF3019.JPG
    The start lists.

DSCF3021.JPG
    This year's stiffness gauge

DSCF3022.JPG
    DSCF3023.JPG
    The rest of equipment control

DSCF3024.JPG
    DSCF3020.JPG
    The prizes on offer

DSCF3055.JPG
    How's that for a final shot in the finals? :D

A photo or two from Friday's Wilkinstown prize-giving evening in Navan...

HPIM0247a.JPG
    Some of the air pistol shooters from Ireland's first open ISSF Pistol match in 32 years (and the first ISSF Air Pistol match ever).

HPIM0252.JPG
    The air rifle division winners from last year's Welsh Air Rifle Postal match.

HPIM0254.JPG
    Matt and Geoff with their "Coaches to the Champions" prizes.

More photos up on the WTSC website's photo gallery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    hpim02520mh.jpg
    The blokes in this picture: "We're only here for the shooting. Yep, that's it, the shooting. Nothing else. Goodness gracious, how could anyone think we were here for anything but the shooting?"

:D:D:D

Well done to all!

So you spotted those cups as well then rovi??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Took me a while to realise they were holding cups ;)

Advertisement