Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK City of Culture 2013 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Just back from the Venue after seeing Political Mother. It was fantastic!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

My wife and eldest kid went to see the London Symphony Orchestra last night in The Venue. It sounds like it was brilliant. My son's highlights were ET and Star Wars :D

Tonight - Primal Scream and David Holmes - can't wait! :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're getting out plenty Penfailed !

You're gonna see a lot of things this year by the sounds of it, fair play to ye.

Trying to make the most of it :D I would've loved to have gone last night but couldn't get tickets.

Yeah I was chatting to people that were at the LSO last night, and apparently it was a great show.

• Advertisement

Primal Scream were class! David Holmes was just OK...

Yeah chatting to a few guys at it, and a great show, despite the lack of ticket sales.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Primal Scream were class! David Holmes was just OK...

Here's another thread all about it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056802576

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

They've made a music video for that Let The River Run song from Sons and Daughters:

The Return Of Colmcille was amazing! I've never seen anything like it :cool:

• Advertisement

Music Day on Friday should be good. Anyone getting up early for the dawn chorus with the air balloons? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Do ya know where they are taking off from/time? would love to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Saw Sean Tyrrell last night in Sandinos, that guy is seriously talented and enjoyed the show immensely, could not recommend him enough.

Walked about town today for the Day of Music - sun is out, all types of music, very pleasant day, bit to eat now and back in again.

Went to see the Buena Vista Social club last night, first time I was in the Venue. Nice place, and a decent crowd at it. Seriously warm last night though!

Not sure what to make of the concert. Talented musicians and all, but it was a strange atmosphere at it. Load of people at the front seemed very into it, then the vast majority in the middle of the floor, loads were dancing and enjoying themselves, but overall I could hear hundreds of people chatting, taking photos of them and their friends, people dandering in and out of the arena etc. I was in the seats at the back and people around me were having normal conversations like they would have had in the cafe or pub, as if the music was background music and they weren't really there to listen to it.

Strange.

I'm out the door shortly for Status Quo!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I envy you :(

muffler wrote: »
    I envy you :(

They rocked :D

The Fireworks were brilliant last night. It was a great way to bring in the start of the Culture Year :)
    Got tickets to Other Voices yesterday. It was excellent. Local band Little Bear were asked to step in when Two Door Cinema Club pulled out and they blew everyone off the stage :cool:
    Just back from the Venue after seeing Political Mother. It was fantastic!
    My wife and eldest kid went to see the London Symphony Orchestra last night in The Venue. It sounds like it was brilliant. My son's highlights were ET and Star Wars :D

Tonight - Primal Scream and David Holmes - can't wait! :D
    The Return Of Colmcille was amazing! I've never seen anything like it :cool:

This Culture Year has been excellent so far :D

Yeah I hear the Quo were excellent. I know I shoulda went now!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah I hear the Quo were excellent. I know I shoulda went now!

They were excellent. Great atmosphere in the Venue too :D

• Advertisement

Chic this Sunday night in The Venue...and I left it too late to get tickets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Thinking of heading up for the Fleadh in a couple of weeks, as My Mam is up there, Just wondering does there be much on in the Pubs during the week.

.. there certainly will be that week for sure.

Check out the official website
    http://www.fleadhcheoil.ie/
    where you can check whats on by date, venue etc.

Any word on how the Chic gig went tonight?

Any word on how the Chic gig went tonight?

I've heard loads of good reports.

I've heard loads of good reports.

...and I've also heard that he's coming back at Halloween and it's sold out already!

Was up at the Fleadh yesterday - lethal! :D

I only got up to Derry for about 2 hrs the other day, and the buzz around the city was great. apparently its been like that all week and the city really did itself proud.

Lots of talk about Derry applying to host it again in the near future.

Lots of talk about Derry applying to host it again in the near future.

There's chat about 2016. Great buzz about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Was up and about today, lovely atmosphere.

• Advertisement

The Tattoo is on this weekend. I can't go though but from what I've seen and heard of it, it looks/sounds class! :cool:

Advertisement