Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK City of Culture 2013 thread

Options
  • 27-10-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Well? The programme came out on Thursday. Has anyone looked at it yet?

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/events

I think it's going to be brilliant :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a native of the city I am really hoping this all goes well. It will be a great year for the city.

Although I do have a fear of certain Irish patriots trying to wreck it for everyone. I hope they fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

The Turner Prize will be here next year! I am delighted..

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Have you all got the booklet they were handing out? guess what event they managed to forget to mention?
    our biggest event all year, halloween!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

guttenberg wrote: »
    Have you all got the booklet they were handing out? guess what event they managed to forget to mention?

Well spotted! They have said that this was only the 1st edition of the programme and that another will be coming out in November.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I think it looks great so far, and of course plenty more things will be added as the year passes.

But, as expected, I have had to listen to locals in work say "see that CoC programme, all bloody crap. I have no interest in anything in it".

Derry people are notoriously negative, especially about anything in their own city.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think it looks great so far, and of course plenty more things will be added as the year passes.

I'm really looking forward to it.
    But, as expected, I have had to listen to locals in work say "see that CoC programme, all bloody crap. I have no interest in anything in it".

Derry people are notoriously negative, especially about anything in their own city.

Yep - moan when there's nothing going on in the city and then moan again when there's a full year of events planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DerryFan

Let Derry celebrate! - City of Culture 2013

2012 has been a great year for Derry with so much local talent introduced on national television. Ben Kelly gave spectacular singing performances on The Voice.

Conor McIntyre entertained us with his controversial personality in Big Brother. Paul Curran delivered a hilarious impression of Liam Neeson’s famous Taken phone scene on Britain's Got More Talent!

With the City of Culture year just days away excitement is in the air. There will be a lot of opportunities for Derry people to show the world what they can do! Let us put Northern Ireland’s painful past behind us and celebrate.

:D

DerryFan wrote: »
    Let Derry celebrate! - City of Culture 2013

2012 has been a great year for Derry with so much local talent introduced on national television. Ben Kelly gave spectacular singing performances on The Voice.

Conor McIntyre entertained us with his controversial personality in Big Brother. Paul Curran delivered a hilarious impression of Liam Neeson’s famous Taken phone scene on Britain's Got More Talent!

With the City of Culture year just days away excitement is in the air. There will be a lot of opportunities for Derry people to show the world what they can do! Let us put Northern Ireland’s painful past behind us and celebrate.

:D

Wouldn't mention those 2 guys in the same sentence as culture to be honest.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't mention those 2 guys in the same sentence as culture to be honest.:rolleyes:

Not just me then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DerryFan

Congratulations Derry on attaining City of Culture status! Thought the Irish might like this. Think you are knowledgeable about Derry-related topics. Test yourself!

Questions

1. Name the Derry contestant who made it through to the live shows in Pop Idol in 2001-2002.

2. Name the housemate who won £50,000 as part of an agreement to leave Big Brother 2012 early.

3. When does Derry hold City of Culture status?

4. What year did Seany O'Kane appear in Big Brother?

5. Which Hollywood star inspired Paul Curran's Britain's Got Talent audition?

6. What sporting competition did Jason Smyth take part in?

7. Name the Northern Irish winner of The Glee Project.

8. Name the Culmore man who appeared in The Voice in 2012.

9. What show did Nadine Coyle win and subsequently landed her a place in Girls Aloud?

10. Name Phil Coulter's famous song about how the troubles affected his home town.

Answers

1. Laura Doherty
    2. Conor McIntyre
    3. 2013
    4. 2007
    5. Liam Neeson
    6. Paralympics
    7. Damian McGinty
    8. Ben Kelly
    9. Popstars The Rivals
    10. Town I Loved So Well

• Advertisement

The Fireworks were brilliant last night. It was a great way to bring in the start of the Culture Year :)

Very clever Penfailed, posting at 20:13, that took planning!

Very clever Penfailed, posting at 20:13, that took planning!

:lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Should be a great year for Derry. Looking forward to it

I entered the draw for tickets to tonight's Sons and Daughters gig in The Venue. I wasn't successful and I don't have the 'red button' on the TV so I can't watch it live and it's not the same listening to it on Radio Foyle. I'll just have to wait until the BBC broadcast the highlights next Saturday :)

Are you just over the border Penfailed or how do you not have the "red button"? I thought it worked on all tv's these days? Great show, can't say I would have paid to see it but definitely enjoyable to have so many talented Derryheads on the one stage! It's sad that the venue is only temporary, last night proved it could be a permanent runner if there was the right people behind it!

Are you just over the border Penfailed or how do you not have the "red button"?

Bingo! I'm a blow in down here though ;):)

Don't forget folks S&D concert will be shown tomorrow night from 10.30pm BBC1, I thought it was just going to be a "best of" but looks like it'll be the full thing shown:)

I thought it was just going to be a "best of" but looks like it'll be the full thing shown:)

Nice one. I too thought it would only be a 'highlights' show :)

Don't forget folks S&D concert will be shown tomorrow night from 10.30pm BBC1, I thought it was just going to be a "best of" but looks like it'll be the full thing shown:)

I've just checked the TV guide - it's only on for an hour...must be a highlights show rather than the full thing.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/ni/2013/01/26

10.30pm - 12.10am so 1hr 40 minutes, bearing in mind there was an interval, would that not be the full concert?(I don't remember how long it lasted:o)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/ni/2013/01/26

10.30pm - 12.10am so 1hr 40 minutes, bearing in mind there was an interval, would that not be the full concert?(I don't remember how long it lasted:o)

The TV guide had Meet The Parents on at 11:30. The Sons and Daughters show was about 3 hours long with a 20 minute interval so they've thinned it out a bit :)

Got tickets to Other Voices yesterday. It was excellent. Local band Little Bear were asked to step in when Two Door Cinema Club pulled out and they blew everyone off the stage :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

I'm for John Prine next Fri night in the forum - sold out, should be good - few beers around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

where to stay for an over night, or hopefully 2 ? City hotel or Tower? also any recommendations for a good pub? and restaurant? thanks

holly8 wrote: »
    where to stay for an over night, or hopefully 2 ? City hotel or Tower? also any recommendations for a good pub? and restaurant? thanks

City or Tower would be fine, would be in the top range of hotels in Derry, here are some more to check;

Da Vinci's http://www.davincishotel.com/?r=4080000&gclid=CIHLo8uAs7UCFUbMtAodGjEA8w

Travelodge http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/225/Derry-hotel

Premier Inn (just opened) http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LONCRE/derry-/-londonderry

Now i have started there are quite a few - Everglades, Waterfoot and possibly alot more.

Restaurants are a plenty around town, with a good selection, not being vague , but when you get here you will see it's a small city and people are friendly, you can p.m. if you have any further questions.

nedsgarden wrote: »
    I'm for John Prine next Fri night in the forum - sold out, should be good - few beers around the town.

For that one myself, really looking forward to it. 1st time seeing him live.

nedsgarden wrote: »

Any good?

I'm hoping to go and see Hofesh Schecter's Political Mother in The Venue on the 8th or 9th of March. It looks mental/amazing. Tickets are £11.50.

Yes, Prine was very good, packed house, town was busy, should be a good year for Derry.

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'm hoping to go and see Hofesh Schecter's Political Mother in The Venue on the 8th or 9th of March.

I bought tickets for Saturday evening/night. Should be good.

Advertisement