Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Runchick wrote: »
    What a week - kids off school, OH travelling with work, managed a few runs but think I've used up all my babysitting favours for a while!

Tue - plan 60 mins with 30mins @ MP. Had a check with the graduate thread and MP effort for me is up to 160bpm so ran according to this. Steep climb in third mile killed the pace here but effort stayed same. MP splits 9.09, 9.05, 9.29, 9.15 for last bit. Found it easy to dial in this pace, nice steady effort but nothing too taxing, enjoyable wee jaunt. 6.2m covered.

Thu - plan 45 mins easy - actual 4.6m in 49 mins HR 138. Stop/start effort running with kids on bikes and the dog through local trails.

Fri - plan 90 mins LSR. Opportunity for a long run presented itself late afternoon so I grabbed it instead of a 6.30am start next day. Covered 8.95 miles in 92 mins, HR 148. Felt grand except for getting tired by the last mile. Sore throat that evening and not feeling great :(

Sun - plan 45 mins easy. Spent the morning cheering on my 2 girls mountain bike racing in the pouring rain - what a mud bath! Got home teeth chattering, put on running gear and met a friend for a 4 mile run - more rain and mud and cold. Hardly ideal so hopefully no major sickness develops. 4m in 44 mins HR 140.

Long run due to go up to 100 mins this week but will only increase it if I'm feeling good. Last official week of winter - yipppeeee :)

ever the optimist...

Good week's running for you in the circumstances -- how are you finding running according to HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

annapr wrote: »
    ever the optimist...

Good week's running for you in the circumstances -- how are you finding running according to HR?

Hey anna the HR is a necessary evil, keeps easy days truly easy, without it I'd definitely run faster. It fairly makes you realise how much hills take out of you - I really need to improve fitness here :rolleyes:

I see you're starting the graduate plan, must admit I'm really enjoying it. Running by effort seems like a better way to train rather than trying to hit a particular pace, takes the pressure off a bit. Hopefully it'll all pay off later in the year :)

Weekly milegae 0

Mr runchick was floored with a flu since last Sunday - completely out of action for 4 days - nasty stuff. I thought I'd escaped it with just a scratchy throat but after 2 very long days Monday and Tuesday I succumbed to illness Wednesday and Thursday. Have been walking a few miles each day since but decided to leave the running for the week - absolutely no point pushing things unnecessarily - I'm not even training for a race yet!

Low Feb mileage as a result - 70ish. Ah well, the positives are last year I was always the one who suffered most with illness so even though it got me it didn't get me good, I'll take that as improvement :)

Here's hoping March brings a good training block. I feel a parkrun coming on and am itching to get stuck in to a few races in April and May :p

After a week off sick decided to go back and repeat a week of the plan to make sure I was ready to move things up next week.

Tue - 2.9m very easy. First run back after week off sick - early start and was delighted to notice it was light at 6.30 - hello spring :D

Wed - plan 60 mins with 20 min tempo. Last time I did this I covered the tempo bit in a 8.20 av and felt remarkably strong. Different story this time. Was tired from the start, it was windy and I had the dog with me which meant losing rhythm when constantly taking off/putting on her lead (depending on other dogs around, etc.) Fecking nightmare, hated every minute and was seriously questioning why on earth I was bothering. Anyway finished the run , tempo av 8.25, and felt a bit better after. Rattled me though as I don't normally think like this.

Thu - plan 45 min easy. opportunity arose to run with OH at lunchtime, this was just what I needed, v enjoyable jaunt, all good in the world again. 4.7m in 47mins HR 145.

Sat - plan 90min LSR, actual 8.5m in 88 mins. Until now I have been tiring towards the end of these runs so was delighted to be feeling strong at the end. The urgent need for the loo meant cutting the route a bit short but happy enough as I know I'm ready to run a bit further.

Sun - plan 45 min easy. another early start this morning to allow for kids sports/parties/etc. 4.6m in 48 mins. Feeling good although RHR a bit elevated past few days, not really sure why as have been sleeping well. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

Looking forward to all the race reports later, good luck to all boardsies racing today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

I see Runchic you had a good weeks running and I also note your pace is somewhat similar to mine though your times will probably/hopefully get faster where as mine will certainly get slower. I also note your running partner is four-legged one and years ago I had a little Jack Russell who really dictated everything about running etc. My trip down south was scuppered last weekend due to picking up a nasty virus of some kind, so tomorrows visit to the doc will decide whether I can do either next Sundays 10K locally or the following weekend's 10 miler.
    I really regretted missing last Sundays Ballycotton 10 as it has been annual event with me for many years.

• Advertisement

Glad to see you recovered and back in action this week.

Fieldsman wrote: »
    I see Runchic you had a good weeks running and I also note your pace is somewhat similar to mine though your times will probably/hopefully get faster where as mine will certainly get slower. I also note your running partner is four-legged one and years ago I had a little Jack Russell who really dictated everything about running etc. My trip down south was scuppered last weekend due to picking up a nasty virus of some kind, so tomorrows visit to the doc will decide whether I can do either next Sundays 10K locally or the following weekend's 10 miler.
    I really regretted missing last Sundays Ballycotton 10 as it has been annual event with me for many years.

Aw pity you missed Ballycotton but hopefully you get over it soon and back racing. Lots of sickness around this past month or so, seems impossible to escape :( Yeah the dog is a great running partner, doesn't mind a 6am start!!
    Glad to see you recovered and back in action this week.

Thanks Anna hopefully things continue this way - life's always better when you can run :D

Tue - 2.5m v easy first thing. HR 136

Wed - should have been session day but not feeling great and RHR still a it high so just an easy 5.7m in 57 mins with OH.

Thu - rest day as still not great

Fri - feeling better, RHR back to normal, kids off school so a slow stop/start effort with them following on bikes. 5.2m in 55 mins. HR 135

Sat - pushed the long run out to 10m. This was one of those runs when you just know you're improving. Cruised through first 7m and couldn't help picking up the pace a bit for last 3, could have run for miles, felt fantastic. 10m in 101 mins HR 147.

Sun - sleep in followed by an easy run with dog while my troops rallying round to make my breakfast, bliss! 5.2m in 53 mins HR 137.

Listening to the body is the way to go - reckon if I'd pushed on and done Wednesday's session I'd be out of action for the next week. Instead I listened, adjusted and feel blooming great now. Stamina is returning and energy is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sun - sleep in followed by an easy run with dog while my troops rallying round to make my breakfast, bliss! 5.2m in 53 mins HR 137.

Happy Mothers Day!
    Listening to the body is the way to go - reckon if I'd pushed on and done Wednesday's session I'd be out of action for the next week. Instead I listened, adjusted and feel blooming great now. Stamina is returning and energy is good :)

Great stuff, not always easy to be so sensible but it definitely pays off! Good for you.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Happy Mothers Day!

Great stuff, not always easy to be so sensible but it definitely pays off! Good for you.

Thanks BG hopefully it'll all pay off alright - love reading your off-road adventures - will have to get me some of that action when I'm back in the swing of things :)

• Advertisement

So Dublin people, bit of advice. This weekend's long run will be around Phoenix Park. Any recommendations on a route coming from Kilmainham direction? Just head in and meander about or is there a better way to do it? Hoping to cover 10ish miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'd offer to give you a personal tour but it looks like we will be in Belfast area most of the weekend. A circuit of the perimeter of the park is about 10k so you could supplement that with a detour up and back down the Khyber Rd to make up the 10 miles. Or if you want to keep it flat you could do the extra bit up and down Chesterfield Ave. If you're not familiar with the park you can get a bit disorientated around the Western end, I've found, so a good idea to study the route in advance. Or just ask one of the many other runners where your gate is! You'd be coming in the Islandbridge gate. Enjoy!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'd offer to give you a personal tour but it looks like we will be in Belfast area most of the weekend. A circuit of the perimeter of the park is about 10k so you could supplement that with a detour up and back down the Khyber Rd to make up the 10 miles. Or if you want to keep it flat you could do the extra bit up and down Chesterfield Ave. If you're not familiar with the park you can get a bit disorientated around the Western end, I've found, so a good idea to study the route in advance. Or just ask one of the many other runners where your gate is! You'd be coming in the Islandbridge gate. Enjoy!

Cheers murph, round the perimeter, up and down chesterfield, and back out islandbridge gate, perfect, thanks :D

Tue - 3.4m very easy with the dog

Wed - 4 x 4 mins @ 5k pace with 3 min recoveries. 6.2 miles covered, 4 min splits 7.33, 7.27, 7.37, 8.08. Doing this slightly hungover wasn't a smart idea - stomach churning on the last interval made things interesting, probably ran the first few too fast anyway - there's no way I could run 5k faster than 8min pace right now. But the pace felt controlled and I felt strong (apart from the stomach) and didn't check the watch. Think I need to do a parkrun and see where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cheers murph, round the perimeter, up and down chesterfield, and back out islandbridge gate, perfect, thanks :D

Don't go all the way up chesterfield - just a few kms.

An alternative would be to take in a few kms up the Liffey on the way to the Phoenix Park - you can do this by entering the War Memorial Park at Islandbridge and continuing along the river. It'a a nice route.

Have fun!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Don't go all the way up chesterfield - just a few kms.

An alternative would be to take in a few kms up the Liffey on the way to the Phoenix Park - you can do this by entering the War Memorial Park at Islandbridge and continuing along the river. It'a a nice route.

Have fun!

Brilliant thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi RC.. Don't run much in the park so I'd go with D's advice. Enjoy your time in the big smoke!:)

There are lovely trails around the perimeter of the park, if you follow D's route... you'll enjoy it, a lovely place to run.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi RC.. Don't run much in the park so I'd go with D's advice. Enjoy your time in the big smoke!:)

Thanks RR childfree weekend - woohoo!!!
    There are lovely trails around the perimeter of the park, if you follow D's route... you'll enjoy it, a lovely place to run.

Thanks anna looking forward to it :D

Thu - 5m easy in 49mins. HR 145, pace on these easy runs creeping up, slowly but surely, progress :)

Regular training updates around here can only mean one thing - flat out studying and looking for any excuse to stop writing essays :eek: Must get back to it, resist reading boards, resist, resist...

• Advertisement

Sat - plan 100 min LSR, actual 12.2m in 2hr4mins, HR 148. Cracking run round the phoenix park. Talked OH into running with me, running around the park, staying off road on trails as much as possible, fab run, you folk who get to run there every week are very lucky! Felt great, delighted to be able to run for over 2 hours so comfortably, its been a while.

Sun - late night antics meant today's planned easy run got sidelined for a dip in the pool and a walk. Its gonna be like this for a few weeks - lots of social stuff coming up so training might suffer. Happy with how things are going though, getting the mojo back for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Late night antics !!!! Ye must nt have run far enough!!!!

Delighted you liked the park, it is a fantastic place to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Hi RC glad to hear your getting in some decent runs and I also note your exercising the arm as well !! We all know running can sometimes work up a mad thirst. Plenty of races to choose from now so I hope you've something planned.
    I've just about shaken of my own bout of illness to take part in a local 10 mile race which doubled as our county championship down here in the west. I took it easy early on and got around in 95 mins. i finished way down the field but good enough to win my own G.I.S category (ah it stands for 'growing into seed')
    Long term I'm planning for the Cork half on June bank holiday. Good running in the meantime.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Late night antics !!!! Ye must nt have run far enough!!!!

haha sam the things ya do with rare child free time! Probably should've got an early night instead of dancin' and drinkin' and thinkin' I'm a young thing :eek:
    Delighted you liked the park, it is a fantastic place to run!

Sure is anna, I see you were running in new parts this week too, good stuff :)

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Hi RC glad to hear your getting in some decent runs and I also note your exercising the arm as well !! We all know running can sometimes work up a mad thirst. Plenty of races to choose from now so I hope you've something planned.
    I've just about shaken of my own bout of illness to take part in a local 10 mile race which doubled as our county championship down here in the west. I took it easy early on and got around in 95 mins. i finished way down the field but good enough to win my own G.I.S category (ah it stands for 'growing into seed')
    Long term I'm planning for the Cork half on June bank holiday. Good running in the meantime.

Hey Fieldsman you bounced back well after the illness, great stuff! Winning your category is fab :) Yeah thinking about a few races - starting to feel like the body can handle it again and looking forward to a summer of racing without marathon training getting in the way! Keep me posted with your training, isn't it fab to get over winter and be able to run in this glorious weather!!

Switched things around this week, LSR midweek and a parkrun on Saturday.

Tue - 3.6m very easy very early, HR 138
    Wed - 10.3m in 103mins HR 146, delighted that 10 mile runs are so effortless, a month ago I wouldn't have believed it!
    Thu - 5.1m in 52 mins, HR 144, another early start, kept it very easy.
    Sat - 5m including 3.1m @ 8.15. Plan had 22min tempo run this week so decided to replace it with a parkrun, hoping to run 8min/m pace. A dodgy tummy on Friday and elevated RHR on Fri and Sat made me question whether it was wise but headed down anyway. First half was great, felt strong and was very confident of a good run. Then a hill and headwind knocked the life out of me and I struggled home. Not sure if it was the weather (headwind was mostly in the second half) or just not ready for it. Ah well, a few more weeks training and I'll go back and try again.
    Followed this with a 3 hour ladies only mountain biking course! This was an absolute blast, I think I've found the perfect cross training. There's something very energising about feeling like a kid again flying downhill :D

Sun - 5m in 52 mins HR 140. RHR still a bit high so took things very easy this morning.

Gonna take a step back week this week. Feel like I've been building nicely and am very mindful of not pushing things too much. More or less the end of March and I've covered 110 miles. Might not seem like much around here but this is my first 100+ mile month since last March :eek: Overall I'm happy enough. The endurance side of things is great, speed not so much but I think I need to start introducing the hill sprints and more regular parkruns to help with that. To be honest I'd far rather plod around 26.2 than push myself hard for 3.1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Followed this with a 3 hour ladies only mountain biking course! This was an absolute blast, I think I've found the perfect cross training. There's something very energising about feeling like a kid again flying downhill :D

Love MTB but haven't been out since before Jr. :rolleyes: I'm afraid to look in the shed in case my bike is one big rust bucket. It's the best buzz ever isn't it ?
    [o be honest I'd far rather plod around 26.2 than push myself hard for 3.1 :o

Ha ha, I'm the exact opposite.

Great week's running from you, shame about the wind getting in the way of your tempo but I remember after the couple of weeks of really strong winds earlier this year, my easy pace really dropped for the same effort. I think all the battling through it pays off - nature's resistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice one Runchick. Which Parkrun did you do? Armagh?

I only ever did Cookstown when I was up home and it is the toughest 5k I have ever done, so next time I'll be looking for a flatter one!!

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Love MTB but haven't been out since before Jr. :rolleyes: I'm afraid to look in the shed in case my bike is one big rust bucket. It's the best buzz ever isn't it ?

Sure is BG, maybe time to dust off that bike :D

Ha ha, I'm the exact opposite.

Great week's running from you, shame about the wind getting in the way of your tempo but I remember after the couple of weeks of really strong winds earlier this year, my easy pace really dropped for the same effort. I think all the battling through it pays off - nature's resistance!

The wind is my nemesis, honestly I am quite a relaxed person but get me running into a headwind and I'm actually cursing at it :o Need to learn to channel that energy a bit more productively!!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one Runchick. Which Parkrun did you do? Armagh?

I only ever did Cookstown when I was up home and it is the toughest 5k I have ever done, so next time I'll be looking for a flatter one!!

Hey meno I did City park - further north that the armagh one and probably handy enough for you when you're up this way. One loop all on tarmac and I hear its easier than armagh. Let me know if you ever plan to run it! Are you back in Londaon next month? Best of luck :D

Advertisement