Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Okay, here goes:

1. Run 2000+ Miles
    2. Marathon year for me after focusing on HM times in 2014. Plan is to run Connemara in April. Goal for this race is sub 3:45. Primary Goal then will be run a sub 3:30 Marathon on a flatter course in Autumn (current PB 3:59:09 - DCM 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

I'm new here, started running a couple of years ago and now I want to take it more seriously, so it's time I set some targets.

1. Injury free
    2. 10k sub 50
    3. Run a Half M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Best of luck to everyone with their running goals but seriously, we all want to stay injury free. I hope my left knee doesn't fall off but it's not a 2015 goal.

Injuries and running are synonymous, most of us will likely be on the end an injury of some description during the year but the goal should be to train smarter in order to prevent injuries, to back off when niggles appear and if injured, that you manage it sensibly and come back stronger. Semi-rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jebuz wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone with their running goals but seriously, we all want to stay injury free. I hope my left knee doesn't fall off but it's not a 2015 goal.

Injuries and running are synonymous, most of us will likely be on the end an injury of some description during the year but the goal should be to train smarter in order to prevent injuries, to back off when niggles appear and if injured, that you manage it sensibly and come back stronger. Semi-rant over :)

My main goal is to find some of this magic Toblerone Cheesecake that helps you to run such fantastic races.
    Maybe I should add some of Dubgal72's red wine and I wouldn't even need to train......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

That's a good goal but I can make it easier for you, Luigi Malones my friend! but make sure it's the Cork Luigi's, it seems to make me run better :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Running goal is to get a 2:5x in London with can being less than 3. If I can replace the 5 with a 4 then even better, but depends on what I do between now and then. After April though another goal supercedes all others for the next few years, well 18 at least, and no telling what running I'll be able to fit in for the next few months after May.

Would be nice to get a 34 minute 10km and maybe a 16 minute 5km. Need to take 12 seconds off both times for those targets. Aiming for any longer distance events will have to wait until I have more time again and then it will be about age category times I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmzie

Mine are so slow in comparison it's nearly embarrassing but hey, we all have to start somewhere right?

5k sub 25 min
    10k sub 50min
    Half sub 1.55
    Finish the marathon in better shape than last year!
    Learn to pace myself better, that's really where my problems are even in short distance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

emmzie wrote: »
    Mine are so slow in comparison it's nearly embarrassing but hey, we all have to start somewhere right?

5k sub 25 min
    10k sub 50min
    Half sub 1.55
    Finish the marathon in better shape than last year!
    Learn to pace myself better, that's really where my problems are even in short distance.

Nothing embarrassing at all. Best of luck, though if you can go sub 50 for 10K, 25 mins may be a bit soft for 5K I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmzie

Cheers! I think some how my sub 50 10k is a little over ambitious rather than my 5k being under ambitious! I have a habit of not trying as hard as I could/should because I'll never be fast. Different attitude this year though, I won't be fast but I can be faster! Going to give my running 100% and finish DCM with a smile on my face rather than the look of horror and pain that I had last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

emmzie wrote: »
    Cheers! I think some how my sub 50 10k is a little over ambitious rather than my 5k being under ambitious! I have a habit of not trying as hard as I could/should because I'll never be fast. Different attitude this year though, I won't be fast but I can be faster! Going to give my running 100% and finish DCM with a smile on my face rather than the look of horror and pain that I had last year :)

Fast is relative to a large extent - unless you're an Olympian, you're going to look at the those above you. That said, if I were as determined as you to get faster, I'd consider giving the marathon a skip for this year to focus more on technique and speed over shorter distances, and building up a solid base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I started running last year so relatively I've a lot of work to do!

Run 1000 + miles.

Concentrate on trail running, enter lots of trail races.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Might as well join the fun.
    5k sub 21 min
    10k sub 45 min
    Half sub 1.45
    And I hope.to increase the mileage. Would like to get close to the 1000 miles for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

For Me:

1. 5Km in Sub 20min (PB 20:30)
    2. Half Marathon Sub 90min (PB 1:45)
    3. Complete Marathon Sub 3:45 (Have not done one yet)
    4. Hit 50 Milestone in Park run (Currently on 12)
    5. Run more trails and random routes.
    6. ENJOY RUNNING AND LIFE IN GENERAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

1. 400m in sub 52s
    2. 200m in sub 24s
    3. 100m in sub 12s

If I got all those I'd love to have a crack at a sub 2 min 800m, but I'm not too pushed on going for it this year. The main aim is to get faster over the shorter stuff.

4. And last but not least, the perennial mantra of staying healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1. 400m in sub 52s
    2. 200m in sub 24s
    3. 100m in sub 12s

If I got all those I'd love to have a crack at a sub 2 min 800m, but I'm not too pushed on going for it this year. The main aim is to get faster over the shorter stuff.

4. And last but not least, the perennial mantra of staying healthy!

Good luck! Just don't go sub2 before me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey guys thought would throw my goals in here too. New to this forum anyways. Took up running about 18 months ago and mainly just did 5km runs as was also playing rugby (still am) and some weights also.

My times are bad compared to seasoned folks here but sure thats the way it is.

Goals for running in 2014:
    1. Complete half marathon (signed up for Cork HM - Aiming for maybe a 2hr10min finish)
    2. Enter into some races (starting with 5km and 10km to prepare for HM)
    3. Get my 5km PB down to 25 mins (currently just under 30 mins)
    4. Enjoy running

Went out and done my first long run of the year and knocked out 13km in 1hr20mins so happy enough to start like this and push on over the next 6 months for the Cork HM. Will also look at doing Dublin HM probably. But playing rugby and working shift work means my training can be up and down and at odd times sometimes. Will see how the year pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gleedog

Thought I'd throw out my numbers!

I'm trying to make the step to being a sub 15 minute 5k runner. While I don't think it can happen this season I'm hoping to be there for track 16. Currently run 15:46 on track. I don't count road races becuase there's hills, inacuracies etc.

Find myself slowing down a bit though because I'm doing minimum 50 minute runs these days. Hopefully it'll come together in a quick half marathon in March (plan is to build strength in 2015, and sharpen for 2016). Been working at this since June 14.

PBs
    800 1:56 (2010)
    1500 4:17 (2011ish?)
    3000 8:58 (2014)
    5000 15:46 (2014)

Hopefully by posting this here it'll be encouragement to keep going!
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Gleedog wrote: »
    Thought I'd throw out my numbers!

I'm trying to make the step to being a sub 15 minute 5k runner. While I don't think it can happen this season I'm hoping to be there for track 16. Currently run 15:46 on track. I don't count road races becuase there's hills, inacuracies etc.

Find myself slowing down a bit though because I'm doing minimum 50 minute runs these days. Hopefully it'll come together in a quick half marathon in March (plan is to build strength in 2015, and sharpen for 2016). Been working at this since June 14.

PBs
    800 1:56 (2010)
    1500 4:17 (2011ish?)
    3000 8:58 (2014)
    5000 15:46 (2014)

Hopefully by posting this here it'll be encouragement to keep going!
    Paul

Mushrooms seem to have done you wonders last year. Hopefully that will continue into this one ;)

Yours in sport

An old college friend ;)

ECOLII wrote: »
    Mushrooms seem to have done you wonders last year. Hopefully that will continue into this one ;)

Yours in sport

An old college friend ;)

Meant to say June 13, not 14. Steady improvements :P

Aye, having a decent cross season too. Came 3rd Ulster Novice and 30th at All Ireland Novice. Hopefully the power of the shroom keeps helping me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I shoulda copped the nickname sooner ha. At least your in the 15s for 5k, I need to smash sub16 soon! At least I got one up on ya in 1500 :p. On that note any ambition to go back to middle distance? Actually I remember that year we were both training under James, you started the season at 800s and ended a 10k runner, I did the reverse ha, and haven't looked back since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Isay

Aims for 2015 in order of priority

5 km = aim to get below 20:30, current PB at 22:10

10 km = aim to get below 43 mins, current PB of 46 mins

Get run distance for year over 1000 km, managed 680 km in 2014.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I shoulda copped the nickname sooner ha. At least your in the 15s for 5k, I need to smash sub16 soon! At least I got one up on ya in 1500 :p. On that note any ambition to go back to middle distance? Actually I remember that year we were both training under James, you started the season at 800s and ended a 10k runner, I did the reverse ha, and haven't looked back since!

that 15 needs updating though ;) you enjoying the shorter stuff? Em not really. Of course there's XC, but for track the aim is pure 5k! Gleedog...no1 actually calls me that, but it'll do here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Had a long think about what my goals are for this year so finally got it sorted and doing it differently this year, only 2 goals, everything else is secondary:

Goal 1 - Concentrate on doing more S&C work and doing it consistently (started going to the gym twice a week), need to stop getting injured all the time - and I know the areas to work on (right glute).
    Goal 2 - Get under the 4 hours in Dublin marathon - Current PB 4:10 (4:22 in Dublin:mad:)

Nice to haves - but not going to push it if it affects the goals above:

5k - sub 20 (PB 20:51 - 2013)
    10K - 43 min (PB 44:26 - 2014), run under 7min/mile
    10 mile - sub 75min (PB 92 min -2011) - only ever run 1
    HM - 1:39:00 (PB 1:40:51 - 2014)
    > 1120 miles run - (1120 - 2014) not too pushed on this but will track it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lost4Life

Dont usually post in the running forum but heres my goals..

Running/ training properly since early 2013. I'm 23yo.

2014 PB's:
    5k : 19.19
    4 mile : 26.30
    10k : none
    1/2 : 1hr 36 (clontarf half in November)

2015 Goals:
    5k : sub 18
    4 mile : sub 24
    10k : sub 39
    1/2 : sub 1.29

Aiming high but sure why not - training harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

5k: 19:30, 20.47 current

5m: 31:59, 36.35 current

10k: 39:59, 41.57 current

10m: 67:59, 71.47 current

HM: 1:29:59, 1:37:40 current

Marathon: 3:29:59, N/A

1,800 miles for the year

Race more and do a minimum of 10 park runs. Read more on racing strategies....I have been too comfortable very quickly after my last few races. Need to find out how to access the fuel reserve when the tank is apparently empty.

Start log

Targeting Barcelona and Dublin Marathons so will be a busy year.

Hit 19.29 for 5k and 3.27 for the Tralee marathon early on so will need revise these for a bit of extra motivation.

5K target now 18.xx and DCM target will be 3.10. Wil be looking to tick off the 5k and 10k before June and hopefully the rest in the race series for Dublin.

How is everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Distance - Goal [Current]
    5k - <18min [19:03]

10k - <40min [39:51]
    10m - <65min [64:50]
    HM - <90 min [101]

I had almost forgotten about this. Updated list from above. I'm planning on doing the great Limerick half marathon in may to tick that one off too. The McMillan calculator and how I felt towards the end of ballycotton and mallow indicate I should manage it, otherwise the charleville half would be a good opportunity. The 5k one is a bit away yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Ed Mc wrote:
    Finish my first 100miler.

Crossed the 100 mile mark during the energia24 race in Belfast at the weekend in 19:13:42.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Distance - Goal [Current]
    5k - <18min [18:05]

10k - <40min [39:35]
    10m - <65min [64:50]
    HM - <90 min [86]

So close...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

5k: sub 15:30
    10k: sub 32:30
    10 mile: sub 54:30
    1/2: 1:13
    Marathon sub 2:32:30
    10 round numbers........ again................
    Well, I ran 10 miles in 54:27, but the rest? Hmm..... Hopefully hit the 1/2 and marathon times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

400m 68sec
    800m 140sec
    1 mile <5.30 mins
    5km < 18 mins
    5 m < 30 mins
    10km < 38 mins
    10 mile < 65 mins
    Half Mara < 85 mins

I might as well try the first 3 but I will just time them myself.
    My main goal is just to keep at the running and enjoy it. If I do that hopefully the times will come.
    I haven't included a marathon time as I want to concentrate on the times for smaller distances for the first half of the year and re-evaluate then.

I have only managed one so far.
    I got inside 65 mins for the 10 mile at Craughwell.
    I had an injury then and couldn't really run for a month. It has set me back quite a bit. Still I hope to hit those other targets before the year is out. I have signed up for the Athlone half marathon and that is giving me a bit of focus again. Need to run more and cut out the junk and booze. Not drinking a huge amount but the few glasses of wine don't help.

Advertisement