Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Lauzon or Sanchez are ideal, big names but past their best, especially Sanchez. Chiesa is very talented, I'd rather he was avoided for now. He'll break top 15 soon enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Kevin Lee and Dunham are possibilities, both fought and won this week. No chance he fights Poirier, I actually wouldn't mind him fighting Bobby Green.
    One more fight for him then a top 15 I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DK224 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the Poirier fight tbh, a risk for not much of a reward. Everyone will be comparing his rise to Conors and I dont see how he can do a better job on Poirier than McGregor did. I'd like to see him in with someone like Diego Sanchez, Lauzon or Chiesa in a co-main on the Dublin show
    Porrier's a big scalp. If he beats him, he beats him. There's absolutely no need to do a better job than Conor did. That sort of logic gets you nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Really hope he doesn't fight Poirier. All the comparison's would be unbearable. Would be a great fight though.

Off topic, but on Tony Ferguson, hope he gets matched with Pettis next.

I do think the UFC would like to give Duffy a slow build up but the Dublin card is in need of local star power with McGregor not featuring. I think its quite possible he'll fight either Barbosa or Felder who are fighting next week. Duffy v Barbosa would be a decent co-main for Dublin, on Fight Night card standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If Felder won I can't see them putting an Irish/American against an Irish guy, makes no sense when promoting. Felder would love to be on the card with the Irish crowd behind him, won't get that fighting Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I'd love to see him fight Al Iaquinta, Joe Lauzon or Daron Cruickshank next in Dublin - all a big step up in class but all beatable . Iaquinta fight would be the biggest test on paper seeing as he's ranked just inside the top 15. Fantasy fight would be vs Nate Diaz in Dublin - a man can dream!

Cruickshank's a good call, he's a known name but average fighter really. Trujillo is another, once youre out of the first round you've beat him. I don't want him getting top 20 yet, he's looked very impressive and has big potential but let's be honest he's fought 2 bums. He deserves a step up but let's ease him in a bit. Going from Jorge to Iaquinta or Ferguson is crazy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

Holohan was making excuses claiming he got injured before his fight. Not nice to take away from your opponents performance by claiming injuries after the fight.
    Duffy is a beast, he beats McGregor again easily if they ever rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

TimRiggins wrote:
    I do think the UFC would like to give Duffy a slow build up but the Dublin card is in need of local star power with McGregor not featuring. I think its quite possible he'll fight either Barbosa or Felder who are fighting next week. Duffy v Barbosa would be a decent co-main for Dublin, on Fight Night card standards

Sounds good to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Holohan was making excuses claiming he got injured before his fight. Not nice to take away from your opponents performance by claiming injuries after the fight.

Funny how I read your post and then guessed correctly who had posted it before I looked...

Houlihan won, it's hardly an excuse.
    Is he not allowed mention injuries afterwards.
    He's looked good but it's far too early to be making claims like that. He's beaten two guys that had nothing for him. Jorge fell into that triangle. He also left his arm out for a armbar if Duffy wanted. I can only assume Duffy rocked Jorge on the feet as he didn't seem like he brought his grappling skills with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Really hope he doesn't fight Poirier. All the comparison's would be unbearable. Would be a great fight though.

Off topic, but on Tony Ferguson, hope he gets matched with Pettis next.

Sounds good to me

Win or lose on the 25th, Felder is a possibility (slim if he wins) but Barboza will not happen in Dublin IMO. Why would he take two unranked fights in a row. He was due to fight Jury before Felder was put in. Unless there was a big 'incentive' Barboza wants nothing to do with Duffy right now. Even losing to Felder next week he won't want to fight outside of the top 15 again.

Not to mention the fact that he's far too high up the rankings for Duffy for that match up to be even considered by the matchmakers anyway. What is he, 6 or 7??

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Love watching Duffy fight. He's an absolute beast. Dangerous from anywhere. I know Dariush is fighting soon but would love to see Duffy fight him.

Others would be Chiesa, Green, Jury or Khabilov.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Bobby Green tore his Acl and meniscus and will be out until probably March / April of next year...
    I think that fight would be too soon for Duffy as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Asked Him what's he going to spend the 50gs on

His response improving my game!

Great answer really focus future champ on are hands

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Petermc83

but1er wrote: »
    Asked Him what's he going to spend the 50gs on

His response improving my game!

Great answer really focus future champ on are hands

Such a humble and focused guy!!! love the contrast between him and Conor.. two immense athletes bringing Irish MMA to the top.. exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Big claim considering that Conor is the best FW in the world right now. If not, definitely in the top 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Duffy is great, but we won't know how good he is until he takes on a top ranked opponent. It's like McGregor two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Big claim considering that Conor is the best FW in the world right now. If not, definitely in the top 2.

It would certainly be a very different fight, that's for sure!

For those who haven't seen it, Duffy took a big shot from Conor with his back to the cage which split him open. Duffy then picked a single leg takedown, got straight to side control, got the mount with ease and then subbed Conor with ease with an arm-triangle choke. Recent events have shown that Duffy would have a much tougher time keeping Conor down and getting the sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Everything I've seen of Duffy has been impressive, and he does it all in a very relaxed laid back manner.

I think he can go to the very top in the division. He favoured a few of my tweets to him before and after the fight. Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Mellor wrote: »
    Houlihan won, it's hardly an excuse.
    Is he not allowed mention injuries afterwards.

He's looked good but it's far too early to be making claims like that. He's beaten two guys that had nothing for him. Jorge fell into that triangle. He also left his arm out for a armbar if Duffy wanted. I can only assume Duffy rocked Jorge on the feet as he didn't seem like he brought his grappling skills with him

Not giving enough credit to Duffy at all there, that was one of the slickest triangle setups Ive seen. Jorge went from thinking he had a takedown and top position to finding himself in the triangle in a split second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Jorge fell into that triangle.

Dude, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you since this forum began!

Credit where credit is due. Duffy's triangle was world class, and against a notable BJJ black belt whatever else about his MMA skills. The weird angle, the picture perfect set-up, the calmness as soon as it was locked, the comparative level of opponent - it was an incredible sub.

I know he's still unproven against top level opposition, but it's pretty clear anyway that Irish Joe Duffy is a phenom on the rise. Clearer for me than it was with McGregor and I'm a bona fide nuthugger since day scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm know bjj expert but I thought the way Duffy wrapped the leg round as he finished applying the choke was inspired

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The sub was a quality one.
    Duffy is a serious prospect and how good is it to have 2 lads that can be serious players in the UFC, and we have several others too that could do well, Paddy is 1 of my favourite fighters
    Exciting times

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I'd love to see Duffy fight Iaquinta, think he could sub him and have success on the feet.

Davei141 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Duffy fight Iaquinta, think he could sub him and have success on the feet.

Yeah, he got shown up a bit against Masvidal. All round he isn't great but he has serious power in his hands.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Not giving enough credit to Duffy at all there, that was one of the slickest triangle setups Ive seen. Jorge went from thinking he had a takedown and top position to finding himself in the triangle in a split second
    Dude, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you since this forum began!

Credit where credit is due. Duffy's triangle was world class, and against a notable BJJ black belt whatever else about his MMA skills. The weird angle, the picture perfect set-up, the calmness as soon as it was locked, the comparative level of opponent - it was an incredible sub.
    Wasn't intending to suggest Duffy was gifted an easy sub. His set up was really good, he had the bottom leg ready before rolling through for the triangle. He obviously knew where he was going from the start.

But I think Jorge did poorly there. He was a bit frantic in the takedown (contrast with Duffy calmness perhaps), and lacked control due to rushing towards Duffys whizzer. On the mat he pressed forward with one arm in, and one out - that's asking for a triangle imo. I guess I found it surprising from a Bjj blackbelt. But as they say, hit a blackbelt once he becomes a brown belt, hit him again, purple...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Wasn't intending to suggest Duffy picked up an easy sub. His set up was really good, he had the bottom leg ready before rolling through for the triangle. He obviously knew where he was going from the start.

But I think Jorge was a bit frantic in the exchange (contrast with Duffy calmness)

Doesn't that contradict you saying he fell into it?

Advertisement