Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

weemcd wrote: »
    Had a tenner on Duffy to win by KO at the weekend there, as soon as he landed the first left hand I was already counting my money.

I could tell straight away Lindsey wouldn't be able to deal with the power. Very impressive, should be fighting higher level guys, he could probably fight tomorrow because he barely took a punch.

Odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Saipanne wrote: »
    Odds?

think the ko was 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Odds?

Aye 4-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

How was Duffy in the Q&A tonight? I find myself more drawn to Duffy than McGregor! A true humble sportsman!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

How was Duffy in the Q&A tonight? I find myself more drawn to Duffy than McGregor! A true humble sportsman!

I love McGregor but it was a real treat to see and hear Duffy in person tonight. He was exactly as you'd imagine: humble and quite grateful. Someone asked if he felt his being "the one who has beat Conor" being the reason for the attention/opportunities he is getting now, he answered "yes, look at everyone here tonight and all the buzz he has generated, being associated with that is good for me" (paraphrased). He also said he'd really like to be added to the 189 lineup haha (hope that happens!) ;) In short,he was great!

** just saw this :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Petermc83

Its gone all quiet on the fight front for Joe.... theres 2/3 spaces left on the July card.....fingers crossed he gets in!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Joseph Duffy set to face Ivan Jorge at UFC Fight Night Glasgow

Story on Severe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Joseph Duffy set to face Ivan Jorge at UFC Fight Night Glasgow

Story on Severe

I had a quick look at what he's like, he's fricking enormous for a lightweight judging by pictures! Somehow he fought at featherweight his last fight, pictures must be deceiving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I had a quick look at what he's like, he's fricking enormous for a lightweight judging by pictures! Somehow he fought at featherweight his last fight, pictures must be deceiving me.

Probably 5'4 standing on a box

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Probably 5'4 standing on a box

Wiki says 5'10 with a 74' reach. Surely that can't be right otherwise he'd never make LW never mind FW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,122 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Somehow he fought at featherweight his last fight, pictures must be deceiving me.
    His last fight was at lightweight.
    I don't think he has fought at FW

According to wiki his last fight against josh shockley was his FW debut. They could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just might venture over to this one.

I'll have to take the wife this time though. She's sticking the boot in regularly that I'm not taking her to Vegas for 189!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wiki says 5'10 with a 74' reach. Surely that can't be right otherwise he'd never make LW never mind FW.

I'm 6'1 with a 79" reach. I fought lightweight and if I really tried I'd make featherweight

I already said he has a very big build. ( http://api.mmajunkie.com/files/large/ivan-jorge.jpg ) Now look at Duffy who's apparently the same height as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just might venture over to this one.

I'll have to take the wife this time though. She's sticking the boot in regularly that I'm not taking her to Vegas for 189!

Me too, But I think I have to bring my little brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭xtal191

I already said he has a very big build. ( http://api.mmajunkie.com/files/large/ivan-jorge.jpg ) Now look at Duffy who's apparently the same height as him.

Thats a photo from when he fought at Welterweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I just watched that Shockley/Jorge fight back on Fightpass and it was actually in the lightweight division. So Wikipedia has it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Derry to Glasgow, £45 return with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Most defo going to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Duffy just gets better and better every time he fights. He's a pleasure to watch.
    Any ideas who you'd like to match him up with next?
    He's made light work of his first two opponents and I'd like to see him take a little step up. Nothing too much though, I'd rather he took his time and didn't rush it.
    I think a fight against Sam Stout would be a good match up and a decent scalp to take. Then if he's impressive, give him top 15.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Duffy just gets better and better every time he fights. He's a pleasure to watch.
    Any ideas who you'd like to match him up with next?
    He's made light work of his first two opponents and I'd like to see him take a little step up. Nothing too much though, I'd rather he took his time and didn't rush it.
    I think a fight against Sam Stout would be a good match up and a decent scalp to take. Then if he's impressive, give him top 15.
    Any ideas?

Would like to see him fight Poirier in Dublin. Tony Ferguson just fought, but might be up in the rankings for Duffy just yet.

I think the UFC want to continue pushing the 'last to beat Conor' narrative. So wouldn't be surprised to see him fight top 15 next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I think it's at least one fight too soon for top 15 just yet. Would love to see him fight Joe Lauzon in Dublin.

Partly for selfish reasons as I would give my right ball to see Lauzon fight live. Joking aside though, Lauzon is a name and a recognised gatekeeper to the top levels of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Would like to see him fight Poirier in Dublin. Tony Ferguson just fought, but might be up in the rankings for Duffy just yet.

I think the UFC want to continue pushing the 'last to beat Conor' narrative. So wouldn't be surprised to see him fight top 15 next.
    No way they put him near Tony Ferguson next imo. Ferguson will be getting a top 10 opponent next.
    I doubt they'll match him up with Poirier yet either. He'll have a slower rise than McGregor did but I think that'll suit Duffy. He's cool as a cucumber and seems to be in no hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

No way they put him near Tony Ferguson next imo. Ferguson will be getting a top 10 opponent next.
    I doubt they'll match him up with Poirier yet either. He'll have a slower rise than McGregor did but I think that'll suit Duffy. He's cool as a cucumber and seems to be in no hurry.

If there was ever a chance, there doesn't seem to be one now. Poirier pushing to be put on the 192 card in Dallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow Duffy cool as fuk ...the face on him waiting for the tap out there at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

I'm not sure about the Poirier fight tbh, a risk for not much of a reward. Everyone will be comparing his rise to Conors and I dont see how he can do a better job on Poirier than McGregor did. I'd like to see him in with someone like Diego Sanchez, Lauzon or Chiesa in a co-main on the Dublin show

Ferguson just beat a top 10 guy in Thomson, very easily as well. He's one more good win away from title contention so he's well out of Joe's range for now.

Loads of good fighters at LW, he's one more fight away from a top 20/15 guy. How about one of the guys who beat Parke? Tibau or Trinaldo, itd give us a good idea of where he's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

DK224 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the Poirier fight tbh, a risk for not much of a reward. Everyone will be comparing his rise to Conors and I dont see how he can do a better job on Poirier than McGregor did. I'd like to see him in with someone like Diego Sanchez, Lauzon or Chiesa in a co-main on the Dublin show

Exactly the kind of opponent he needs. All big names.

Advertisement