Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

With a joke like that you must be in the running aswell.

He is horrendously unfunny.

Dunno about that. As a stand-up, he's awful - relies on insulting people because his material is so poor. However the Savage Eye is great and much more suited to him.
    Someone probably writes the show for him.

While the concept of some of his sketches are funny I have no doubt anybody else would make them funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Started back last night same old muck again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought it was excellent, the satire end of it is definitely up a notch, and a little more biting than previous shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

That was one of his best shows to date IMO.

The politician held up high with half a head of hair.
    Cute as a hoor and thick as a Plank in equal measure. How true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I liked the p1ss take of the civil service...

"Fillin' out a form..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

I think some of the smaller things in between the sketches are funnier than the actual sketches sometimes? Example, I found the bit with the 'missing' EU politician on the telephone pole funnier than that Northern Ireland sketch... I cant stand that bit at all for some reason.. Although the barman is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Gaaaaaaghhhh

Why isn't it on RTE Player? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Gaaaaaaghhhh

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Gaaaaaaghhhh

it is: link to video

search the A to Z under T & it'll come up

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it is: link to video

search the A to Z under T & it'll come up

Must be restricted internationally - I'm trying to access it via UK.

Having said that - I would have thought that The Savage Eye would be filed under 'S'. Most alphabetical lists omit the 'The' in the titles, but not the wonderful RTE, I suppose... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I liked the p1ss take of the civil service...

"Fillin' out a form..."

Yeah that had me in stiches:D.I bet thats what actually goes on:p.

"I didnt fill in the form".....LOL.That first show was good I thought.

Must be restricted internationally - I'm trying to access it via UK.

Having said that - I would have thought that The Savage Eye would be filed under 'S'. Most alphabetical lists omit the 'The' in the titles, but not the wonderful RTE, I suppose... :P

yeah probably is, a lot of them sites use geo-blocking. Can you watch anything on it from the UK?

It's under both 'T' & 'S', they seem to have all shows starting with 'the' under the 'T' and the letter of the next word. Good enough decision from them actually, for once :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah probably is, a lot of them sites use geo-blocking. Can you watch anything on it from the UK?

Can watch a lot of stuff - that's why I thought it wasn't up. Oh well... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The civil servants sketch was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I liked the bit where he said stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Not a great show last night. I did like the Minister's wife requisitioning his car, mainly because I know one particular Minister's wife.

I thought it was a step up from previous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

glasso wrote: »
    Overall show was ok - the re-using of the same themes as jokes - British Rule, Guards, etc. etc. is getting a bit lazy. More innovation needed - can't rest on laurals...

The Savage Eye is a satirical show and not only does it attempt to satirize the various institutions and attitudes but also the traditional barstool opinions on what gave rise to them like British Rule etc. so it feels to me that drawing a link to the British, the clergy, no matter how tenuous is a bit of a joke in itself and also anchors the show somewhat. Granted that it will eventually wear thin but the show may not be renewed after this series or McSavage may not want to do it anymore, so we wouldn't see that eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Love him anyway but was surprised how strong the first episode was, some really subtle, very intelligent humor in parts. Very hard to do.

I found there was a theme of anger from the first episode which summed the mood of the country very well. Savage eye is something that could run forever, as long as our country keeps providing the fodder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The protest within a protest was very good, only in Ireland.

I watched it again last night as i'd missed some bits (including hector being shot :pac:)with somebody coming in talking to me it wasn't the best one i've seen but had some good bits

it can be like that a lot of the time i find as well or even as bad as only one really funny thing in it, still the best irish comedy on rte by miles though

i think this weeks episode looks to be v.good from the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

I dont see how anyone could not like the savage eye, it is the best thing to come out of irish tv in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

His Dublin skanger was perfect.

I dont see how anyone could not like the savage eye, it is the best thing to come out of irish tv in a long time!

there's bits of it not that good/funny imo but i agree with you that it's the best thing irish tv has done lately along with love/hate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I agree. Looking forward to Monday's episode.:)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Glad the first epsiode was decent, after the abysmal Christmas special. The Savage Eye is seriously hit and miss, but when it hits, it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Really good episode, enjoyed it. The best episode so far I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

The "Local TD" sketch was very funny as were the Hector and dinner table sketches about P.R. Only saw the preview for this coming week the other night and it's a long overdue subject for parody. Irish TV has produced so much utter dreck over the years but I wonder will McSavage allow himself or be allowed to rip into it full tilt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the British film about Irish politics was hilarious "the main party the Fooly Foolies, and their opponents the Fooly Goolies"

it summed up the ridiculousness of Irish politics in less than 1 minute brilliantly.

Advertisement