Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

So after months of reading and being inspired by other logs, I think the time is right to start logging my own adventures…

BACKGROUND

38 year old female, 3 young children, mad about running. On and off relationship with exercise pre kids - once a handy swimmer, spent a few years struggling to be a surfer, bit of a gym junkie at one stage too, never really interested in running.

3 babies in 5 years put the fitness out the window. Started running very casually 2 years ago when youngest was about 6 months old and just fell in love with the freedom, endorphins, me-time, etc. that I get from being out on the road. Have been more structured and serious about it for about 12 months - as long as I've been hanging around boards :)

Race history 2012

April 2012 - first 10km in 54:xx,
    May 2012 - ran last 2 relay legs of the Belfast Marathon (9.7 miles) was the furthest ever run (not sure of time - probably 10 min miles)
    June 2012 - 10km in 52:48
    June 2012 - first HM in 2:02:xx
    Oct 2012 - DCM in 4:27:38

2013 so far:

Mar 2013 - HM in 1:47:34 (PB)
    April 2013 - 10km in 48:08 (PB)
    May 2013 - Limerick marathon DNF (22 miles)

DNF

I trained for Limerick following the P&D 18/55 plan and found it tiring but manageable. I went in to Limerick aiming for a 4 hour finish but collapsed with dehydration and didn't make the end. I purposely restricted my fluid intake to avoid loo breaks so basically my own stupidity flushed all the training down the pan. Big learning curve and a humbling experience. That was a week ago and I want to put it behind me and move on…

WHERE TO NOW

Main goal for 2013 is DCM - hopefully a chance to run a decent marathon. Breaking 4 hours would be nice but I want to see how training goes, etc. before I commit to a time. After the experience in Limerick simply finishing would do!

Short term - targeting a local 10km on 5 Jun, a few 5km parkruns along the way, all working towards a sub 1:45 HM late July or early August (might as well start off optimistically!)

Marathon specific training then in Aug, Sept and October.

As I didn't run the full marathon - only 21.6 miles, recovery has been grand. Legs weren't sore and I've been out on the road a few times. The plan is to stick to easy recovery runs (HR <145bpm) for another week or 2, slowly building the miles and days running from 3 to 5 (or 6). I ran a 7.5 mile LSR yesterday so will probably increase this each week up to maybe 16 by HM time.

I am a bit clueless on how best to approach my training for now. With 3 weeks until the first 10km I would love a bit of advice on how to structure things. I know I'm recovering from the marathon so do I just keep things easy or add race specific workouts closer to the time? Should I aim for a PB or is it unlikely to happen so close to the marathon?

Anyway I have learned so much from hanging around on boards and am very much looking forward to the next chapter. Family/ work/ life commitments mean joining a running club is not an option just yet so I'm hoping keeping this log will be the next best thing. Let the madness begin…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck with the new log Runchick. You had done great training for Limerick so it was a real shame about your DNF.

A few shorter races as short term goals seems like a good idea. Others might be better able to advise on training plans but I would think after your recovery phase to put some tempo runs/intervals with your easy runs and LSR. You still will have the benefit of your marathon training so would expect a few PBs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    I am a bit clueless on how best to approach my training for now. With 3 weeks until the first 10km I would love a bit of advice on how to structure things. I know I'm recovering from the marathon so do I just keep things easy or add race specific workouts closer to the time? Should I aim for a PB or is it unlikely to happen so close to the marathon?

Welcome to training log land! :D

I'll be an avid follower of this! That was a super post you put up on the graduate thread btw. Really some good learnings in there for people to be wary of in the future.

I would see a PB attempt well the cards on the back of the solid marathon training you have done and you should go for it. It's a bit soon after the marathon to be putting in speed work yet though and If I were you I'd keep ticking over with easy runs the next couple of weeks slowly building up to about 75-80% mileage you were on with P&D. For me I hope to build up to about 40-45 miles a week over the summer. Pretty managable for us P&Ders! :D

I went 13/20/30/30 mpw after rotterdam although you might be able to build up a bit faster after Limerick if your legs are feeling fine. Maybe 10 days our from your 10km you could put in a speed session to see where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck with the log and more importantly best of luck with the goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks guys, great advice already, raring to go now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I only recently joined my local club in the short space of time it brought me on a lot support from other member is second to none(well maybe to boards members) even if you could do one session a week with them it would help you. Best of luck with the log and will be following with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of luck with your log Runchick.

You really have a solid base built up & with the dedication & determination you have there really isn't much to hold you back..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Best of luck with your training log runchick. I will be keeping an eye on your tactics as I would love to come close to some of your targets :-) I hope you achieve your goal at DCM.

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Best of luck with your training log runchick. I will be keeping an eye on your tactics as I would love to come close to some of your targets :-) I hope you achieve your goal at DCM.

Thanks Sara2002 are you planning to run DCM this year?

Thanks Sara2002 are you planning to run DCM this year?

Yeah I sure am. Did Paris in April and shaved half an hour off last years DCM time. Am trying to break 4 hours off this years DCM which will mean shaving a further half hour off. So I really need to knuckle down!

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Yeah I sure am. Did Paris in April and shaved half an hour off last years DCM time. Am trying to break 4 hours off this years DCM which will mean shaving a further half hour off. So I really need to knuckle down!

Sounds like we're very similar Sara..well except for the fact that you actually finished your second mara :eek: Well done on the Paris performance, would love to do that one some day :)

• Advertisement

Is this a training log? Where's the training? :P

So down to the nitty gritty..this log will track every run post Limerick. I want to keep a good eye on HR this time around. All runs for the last week have been very easy, keeping HR below 145bpm:

Wed 8 May
    4.05 @ 10.53 Av HR 131

Fri 10 May
    4.33 @ 11.08 (includes climbing steep sand dunes to access the beach) Av HR 135

Sun 12 May
    7.38 @ 10.21 Av HR 136

Mon 13 May
    3.08 @ 10.54 Av HR 126

Wed 15 May
    5.15 @ 9.51 Av HR 137

Pace is picking up a bit but effort always the same. Wonder if this means I'm recovering? I definitely feel good, full of beans and not sluggish at all. Only glancing at the watch to keep HR down which makes a nice change from intense training.

Anyone got a table format for recording this stuff that I could pinch :D

blockic wrote: »
    Is this a training log? Where's the training? :P

Cross-post of the year :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Anyone got a table format for recording this stuff that I could pinch :D
    I have the training log that Rom shows you how to set up in this thread

Otherwise you could do a table like

|Day|Date|Distance|Pace|Av HR|
    |||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck with the log runchick, ill be following your progress with interest as you right some wrongs from Limerick!

Sounds like we're very similar Sara..well except for the fact that you actually finished your second mara :eek: Well done on the Paris performance, would love to do that one some day :)
    Eh not so sure about that! My second marathon time is similar to what you achieved in your first!
    I hope all your training for DCM goes to plan now and you can put the Limerick experience down to just that-An experience to be learned from :-)

Thur 16 May

5.08miles @ 9.45 Av HR 137

Easy recovery running is getting a bit tedious, I am strictly keeping HR below 145bpm and this morning it took a lot of willpower to keep it there :rolleyes: All in good time I suppose but think I'll start adding strides to a few runs next week.

To ease the boredom I picked a HM for July - Clontarf on 13 July, we usually go away that weekend so a family break to Dublin it is :D Looks like a very flat course so a good chance to put the foot down ;)

To ease the boredom I picked a HM for July - Clontarf on 13 July, we usually go away that weekend so a family break to Dublin it is :D Looks like a very flat course so a good chance to put the foot down ;)

I've heard it's flat but the wind can be a killer there at times I'm lead to believe as it's exposed (source: RunningKing :p) So just bare that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Thur 16 May

Easy recovery running is getting a bit tedious, I am strictly keeping HR below 145bpm and this morning it took a lot of willpower to keep it there :rolleyes: All in good time I suppose but think I'll start adding strides to a few runs next week.

Clontarf would be a good course to try to get under 1 45. It can be windy but its very flat albeit with part of it on sand.
    Myself and Chinguetti are pacing 1 45 there and we'd be glad to help you get around under that mark.
    Just look out for two fine good looking lads with balloons stuck to their heads!

Thur 16 May

I have been thinking about entering this-I'm just not looking forward to the wind! I did the docklands run a few weeks ago which was on this route and oh my God I've never know such wind!! Beautiful scenery though which more than made up for it :-)

• Advertisement

RAL3 wrote: »
    Clontarf would be a good course to try to get under 1 45. It can be windy but its very flat albeit with part of it on sand.
    Myself and Chinguetti are pacing 1 45 there and we'd be glad to help you get around under that mark.
    Just look out for two fine good looking lads with balloons stuck to their heads!

Excellent, someone to tuck in behind to get out of the wind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck with the log A - I'll be following with interest. And see you in Clontarf in July - it is flat but wind has been a problem in the past and the sand was very dry and powdery one year (bring your sunglasses), making a pb difficult. Mrs D has done it every year but her course best is about 5 mins slower than her road pb.

BTW I hear the 2 hr pace group is the one all the cool kids will be with. ;)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Good luck with the log A - I'll be following with interest. And see you in Clontarf in July - it is flat but wind has been a problem in the past and the sand was very dry and powdery one year (bring your sunglasses), making a pb difficult. Mrs D has done it every year but her course best is about 5 mins slower than her road pb.

BTW I hear the 2 hr pace group is the one all the cool kids will be with. ;)

Thanks for the heads up C, running on sand and in to the wind sounds like my worst nightmare :eek: Are ya pacing the 2 hr group then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks for the heads up C, running on sand and in to the wind sounds like my worst nightmare :eek: Are ya pacing the 2 hr group then?

Belcarra is pacing and I'm running with him trying to look useful! :P

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Belcarra is pacing and I'm running with him trying to look useful! :P

Pacing duties eh, kudos :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Best of luck runchick, good move starting a log and I can see a good summer of pb's ahead do you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Another subscriber here :)

Sat 18 May

4.29miles @ 9.57 Av HR 135

Bit stoppy starty this one as the dog was with me, helps keep things slow mind you

Sun 19 May

9.32miles @ 10.00 Av HR 139

Had to wait for hubby to come home from a stag do before getting out today - much prefer morning efforts - less traffic, not so many crazy dogs barking after you and a lot more privacy to jump behind a hedge to pee :P

So as a girl who likes plans I have been thinking about how to plan my next 8 weeks up to the Clontarf half. I have come up with a kind of plan, mostly based on a HM plan from Runners World but including a Sunday LSR which will progress to 16 miles the week before the half.

The week ahead looks like this:

Mon 3 m recovery
    Tues 6 m progression run
    Wed 4 m easy
    Thur 8 x 90sec intervals, 90 sec recovery
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4 m easy
    Sun 11 m LSR

Am working on a googledocs training log but think it'll be a while before I figure out how to post from that on to here :o

I'm looking forward to this plan - a few short, fast workouts during the week instead of the long endurance runs from marathon training. Bit of a change for me, and progression runs will be fun - I have a bad habit of starting fast and finishing slower - time to change me thinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Sat 18 May

4.29miles @ 9.57 Av HR 135

Bit stoppy starty this one as the dog was with me, helps keep things slow mind you

Sun 19 May

9.32miles @ 10.00 Av HR 139

Had to wait for hubby to come home from a stag do before getting out today - much prefer morning efforts - less traffic, not so many crazy dogs barking after you and a lot more privacy to jump behind a hedge to pee :P

So as a girl who likes plans I have been thinking about how to plan my next 8 weeks up to the Clontarf half. I have come up with a kind of plan, mostly based on a HM plan from Runners World but including a Sunday LSR which will progress to 16 miles the week before the half.

The week ahead looks like this:

Mon 3 m recovery
    Tues 6 m progression run
    Wed 4 m easy
    Thur 8 x 90sec intervals, 90 sec recovery
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4 m easy
    Sun 11 m LSR

Am working on a googledocs training log but think it'll be a while before I figure out how to post from that on to here :o

I'm looking forward to this plan - a few short, fast workouts during the week instead of the long endurance runs from marathon training. Bit of a change for me, and progression runs will be fun - I have a bad habit of starting fast and finishing slower - time to change me thinks ;)

Good luck with the log Runchick. I'm just thinking now that I'm back running (well for the moment) that I might follow your plan and see how I get on. It doesn't look too tough. I've been thinking of Clontarf half as well.
    My little sister did it and complained about the difficulty of running on sand.
    Sure whatever surface it is, its never easy.

• Advertisement

Big Logger wrote: »
    Good luck with the log Runchick. I'm just thinking now that I'm back running (well for the moment) that I might follow your plan and see how I get on. It doesn't look too tough. I've been thinking of Clontarf half as well.
    My little sister did it and complained about the difficulty of running on sand.
    Sure whatever surface it is, its never easy.

Hey BL great to hear you're back on the road :) This Clontarf half sounds like a bit of a nightmare but hopefully the conditions will be ok on the day. I don't know that part of the world at all so if its tough I'll just slow down and enjoy the scenery ;) Maybe see you there :)

Advertisement