Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have confidence in Brian Cowen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

No.

I've never had confidence in that man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Millicent wrote: »
    They're the only choices? Didn't know Ireland had a two-party system.

It doesn't, but how much of a chance do the other parties stand to gain a majority?
    And truth be told, I can't think of any party leader I currently would have any amount of confidence in. Sad, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'd settle for FF getting 12 % in the election :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Millicent wrote: »
    They're the only choices? Didn't know Ireland had a two-party system.

very true, lets get somebody of boards to run for taoiseach and get every member of boardsto vote for them,it's a winner:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I have confidence in him to destroy the economy, bail out the developers and bankers and screw the tax payer for the priveledge.

On the positive side it looks like he is gonna destroy FF too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Because he didn't make people take out full morgages on houses they realistically could not afford.
    Because he didn't make us live beyond our means.

Oh everybody loved FF when they were raising the social welfare, when they weren't rising the price of a pint, when they were handing out medical cards to everybody in sundry.

Do you remember though, the outrage from FG? They claimed the social welfare wasn't raised enough. There wasn't enough given to XYZ.
    They didn't say "Hold on now, we really should be tightening our belts".

Its easy to point the finger after the crap has hit the fan, isn't it?

And I personally have no faith in opposition whose sole mission is to shout down and ridicule the leader of the country.

You know what -- I can't wait til FG or Labour get into government. Just to watch them **** up, and fail. Because this is global. There ain't a thing they will be realistically able to do better.
    Either through corruption, incompetence or both, they bankrupted the country by stoking the bubble, appointing a vegetable to regulate the banks, not bothering to check that the vegetable was doing anything, allowing the banks to run mad, then guaranteeing the debts of the mad banks with taxpayers money.

Cowen has been Taoiseach or finance minister for the last 6 years. The country is now bust. How do you think Fianna Failure and Cowen did?

Either through corruption, incompetence or both, they bankrupted the country by stoking the bubble, appointing a vegetable to regulate the banks, not bothering to check that the vegetable was doing anything, allowing the banks to run mad, then guaranteeing the debts of the mad banks with taxpayers money.

Cowen has been Taoiseach or finance minister for the last 6 years. The country is now bust. How do you think Fianna Failure and Cowen did?

about as good as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

meh... don't even think it matters who is our "leader" at this stage, all politicians are liars and shills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

It is great for Labour,Fine Gael and even Sinn Fein that he is sticking around as they will gain more support but the longterm damage is far more important,the country is already fcuked beyond repair, who can fix this mess if it even can be fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

gcgirl wrote: »
    I am your leader bow to me :)

You had me at "I"

now just tell me you play ladies inter county football for Offaly and try to work the phrase "going forward" into your speeches and I will follow unquestioningly despite any atrocities or economic treason you may be responsible for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It is great for Labour,Fine Gael and even Sinn Fein that he is sticking around as they will gain more support but the longterm damage is far more important,the country is already fcuked beyond repair, who can fix this mess if it even can be fix.
    The electorate has to take the blame too - they were the ones who gave Fianna Failure the keys to the kingdom. If you vote for corrupt morons, you can't expect miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Anyone who was watching the press conference with Cowen, in which he said he was staying on, would have seen that he'll be doing a vote of confidence soon. So I thought I would do a boards.ie vote of confidence so. Do you have confidence in Brian Cowen?

Cowen is a disgrace to the land of Ireland, and has zero charm (and looks :p)

He should leave ASAP and run a pub in offaly somewhere, it would suit him more

Sorry don't play bogball nor come from Offaly Just some one who is totally raging she never put money on this :( Nostradamus has not got a patch on me !

Sorry don't play bogball nor come from Offaly Just some one who is totally raging she never put money on this :( Nostradamus has not got a patch on me !

I think i am in love :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I would rather Robert Mugabe be our Taoiseach at this stage.

• Advertisement

Cowen is a disgrace to the land of Ireland, and has zero charm (and looks :p)

He should leave ASAP and run a pub in offaly somwhere, it would suit him more

Would love to see his business plan for that pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

INVADE O-FF-ALY - HOLD IT FOR RANSOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marcanthony1

Larianne wrote: »
    They're all a bunch of effin cowboys! :mad:

True Larianne, very true.

And the Irish Electorate voted Fianna Fail back into power even when its leader Bertie was answering questions (or not!) at the Planning Tribunals in Dublin Castle.

"Cutehurism" and "Skullduggery" have been seen as attractive features of election candidates in this small island for several decades.

Not so funny now, we are in the control of the IMF. Except the defaulting developers and bankers have been let away free by their friends in power to enjoy the wealth and the rest of us PAYE employees are paying the price in this new tax....

M

Let's take one simple thing the early childcare allowance they rather throw money at a proplem then try fix the problem of expensive childcare whereas if you look at France my brother is in Lyon he has 2 kids which can be sent to a state run childcare facility so he and his partner can work, remember what Ahern said of the economists who fore told of the crash in 06 if everyone believed that they would commit suicide,
    Because he didn't make people take out full morgages on houses they realistically could not afford.

Oh everybody loved FF when they were raising the social welfare, when they weren't rising the price of a pint, when they were handing out medical cards to everybody in sundry.

Do you remember though, the outrage from FG? They claimed the social welfare wasn't raised enough. There wasn't enough given to XYZ.

And I personally have no faith in opposition whose sole mission is to shout down and ridicule the leader of the country.

You know what -- I can't wait til FG or Labour get into government. Just to watch them **** up, and fail. Because this is global. There ain't a thing they will be realistically able to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the man could burn water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I would have complete trust in biffo to cut some turf, or create a flask of tae. Anything else would be treasonous

bungler wrote: »
    Would love to see his business plan for that pub.

a 10 year plan :)

just guinness for customers

The reason social welfare was raised was to do with the rise of the cost of living gas esb all rose durning the Celtic tiger days and to say the cost of living is at even 2006 levels is government pushed bull crap

raymon wrote: »
    I would have complete trust in biffo to cut some turf, or create a flask of tae. Anything else would be treasonous

i dont think he can drive even, he would be a modified drivers seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

The electorate has to take the blame too - they were the ones who gave Fianna Failure the keys to the kingdom. If you vote for corrupt morons, you can't expect miracles.

I voted for Labour in the last two elections,wouldn't even tick the box for Fianna Fail incase they got my vote as a second,third etc prefrence. I don't expect miracles, the nature of politics is corruption,I just expect those who fail to FCUK OFF,not really much to ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

No.

I want FF out.simple as.shambles of a party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

no confidence in fianna fail

One thing I think is funny whenever the government use Lehman as an excuse :) 10% in the election would be a complete blow for FF I'm loving it like jt

punchdrunk wrote: »
    the man could burn water.

eh...does it hurt when he pees?

• Advertisement

One thing I think is funny whenever the government use Lehman as an excuse :) 10% in the election would be a complete blow for FF I'm loving it like jt

Its holding steady at 9.49% currently

the recovery is in sight, the worst is over!

the crash just got less crashier and the bust less bustier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

amacca wrote: »
    Its holding steady at 9.49% currently

the recovery is in sight, the worst is over!

the crash just got less crashier and the bust less bustier.

Does enda have some magic,****ing wand I didn't hear about???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I would normally vote but seeing as a mod changed a poll in another thread here what's the point, how can it have any credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Who the pissering feck is voting yes?
    cannot say ye or nay, as i have lost confidence in all parties

yes, among his many accomplishments in life is the fact that he is an award winning magician

he is also good at conducting interviews in front of shelves of impressive looking books - no doubt on the dark arts of witchcraft or irish politics or something.

up to 12%+ what did I tells ya...if it wasnt for the Lehmans it would have all been grand so it would

a jaysus back down to 9.83%...cmon biffo ya sexy beast of a man! grrrrr raarr, youre a tiger yeah baby yeah a celtic tiger, smile for the camera, now pout! retract those claws yeah!

9.77% nobody could have seen the international crisis coming so they couldnt?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

The only "logic" I can see in his wanting to remain leader is that he wants to redeem himself and do some good so that he doesn't go down in the annals of History as the worst Irish Taoiseach of all time.
    I'd have more confidence in Enda than him. That's saying something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Alessandra wrote: »
    The only "logic" I can see in his wanting to remain leader is that he wants to redeem himself and do some good so that he doesn't go down in the annals of History as the worst Irish Taoiseach of all time.
    I'd have more confidence in Enda than him. That's saying something!

Who will replace him as leader of FF though? Personally I don't really care, and I'm sure most on here don't.. but look at how his colleagues have not chosen to oust him. FF in its entirety are proving themselves to be absolutely spineless in all of this. Honestly, if they themselves can not envisage a brighter future without Cowen then I'm at a loss to see how it would benefit anyone else if he were to stand down. Absurd as it is, he's the only one showing any conviction at the minute within the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Has the FF web site got a forum or suggestions box? Maybe we could all go there and crash the site or at least let our opinions be aired as in a big FCUK OFF FIANNA FAIL WE'RE ALL SH!T SICK OF YOUS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Nope. The man's a completely uninspiring dullard.

And who are the 20 who said yes, and how the hell did they get access to the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Nope! would have more faith in Kermit the frog running the country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Nope! would have more faith in Kermit the frog running the country :rolleyes:

Dr Michael Somers has fingered the Civil Service as the major culprit behind the financial mismanagement.

How can other politicians tackle this or them ???

'No pressure from Brians' - Somers

Former NTMA chief executive points finger at senior Finance mandarins

By RONALD QUINLAN

Sunday January 16 2011

THE former chief executive of the NTMA, Dr Michael Somers, has revealed how he came under pressure from officials at a "high level" in the Department of Finance to put more money into the Irish banking system in the final months of 2007.
    Speaking to the Sunday Independent last night, Dr Somers dismissed the suggestion that he had come under political pressure to step in to help the banks -- and specifically Anglo Irish Bank -- and stated in no uncertain terms that too much blame had been put on the 'two Brians' (Cowen and Lenihan) for the their roles in the banking crisis.
    "They were thrown in at the deep end and I'm not quite sure that there was sufficient expertise available to them in what is possibly the worst financial crisis this country has ever faced," said Dr Somers.
    "They (Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan) think I'm out to get them. I'm not. I think, in fairness to the two of them, they did put in an awful lot of effort in it and it wasn't easy."
    Referring to a letter marked 'strictly confidential' which the then-Finance Minister Brian Cowen had written to him in December 2007, in which Mr Cowen requested his "views" on the role the NTMA could play in helping to maintain financial stability, Dr Somers revealed how this had been preceded by several months of pressure from senior officials in the Department of Finance.
    It was this official pressure, and not Mr Cowen's letter that had prompted him to seek legal advice on the NTMA's position when it came to taking a risk with the Irish banking system.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-pressure-from-brians-somers-2498059.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

No, but he freely allowed it to happen, and he actually encouraged th un-affordibility of houses (by reducing stamp duty, for example) while every economist in economyland was screaming about the bubble about to burst.

Well, actually he did. He caused the bubble to inflate, thereby pushing up the cost of living, and hence demand for higher wages. Its a vicious circle, and it was his job to manage it. He failed miserably.

Indeed they did! Us orinary people have this agreement that we'll elect experts who know what they're doing to run stuff like that. The experts are called politicians, and the agreement is called democracy. When these supposed experts put themselves forward for such employment, the expectation is that they know what they're doing and that they're truthful. Just like you put your trust in a GP! So, when they run things well, ordinary people think "Great, these lads are doing well. We'll reward them by electing them in again. This will also benefit us as we know we're in good hands".

However, in hindsight its clear that FF weren't truthful. They knew what they were doing alright though, they were taking advantage of the "wages - cost of living - debt" cycle. They inflated this cycle from a suitably sized one for our country, to one thats way too much for our country. And they did this purposely to get elected back in office! For another few quid! A bigger pension to them has cost us 120 Billion. They deserve to be jailed for fraud for the rest of their natural lives.

Yes, FG are just as bad. However, they are like the messers in class who got away with it cos there were worse messers who were caught. They will now be quiet and behave cos they see that the biggest messers are in deep sh1t.

Yes! It is! The point is there shouldnt have been any interaction between the manure and the air conditioning!

I agree. But they're the best of a bad lot at the moment. And cowen isn't the "leader" of the country, he's the leader of FF, who, as the government at the moment, are the ultimate subordinates to the Irish people.

Thats a very me-feining, sociopathic attitude. Kinda like the attitude of FF. You wouldnt be a supporter now would you?

As for the "global" excuse, the recession is prettymuch over everywhere else.

No, but he has a lesser degree of corruption and incompetance than cowen. That'll do for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

11 tossers voted yes so far.

It's AH, FFS - if the poll asked if the earth was flat 10 people would vote "Yes"

Plus Cowen probably has an internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's AH, FFS - if the poll asked if the earth was flat 10 people would vote "Yes"

Plus Cowen probably has an internet connection.
    Would never vote for FF but I think Cowen knows what needs to be done, so I guess kind of do, yea.

• Advertisement

Would never vote for FF but I think Cowen knows what needs to be done, so I guess kind of do, yea.

"I don't accept that"

How do you reckon he "knows what needs to be done" ? And for whose benefit is that "needs to" ?

He doesn't even know the reasons for FF's unpopularity, FFS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "I don't accept that"

How do you reckon he "knows what needs to be done" ? And for whose benefit is that "needs to" ?

He doesn't even know the reasons for FF's unpopularity, FFS!!!!
    Don't hate me, but, I keep hearing people internationally (politicians ect) saying Ireland is doing everything right.
    Gordon Brown said it on the late late show and one of the financial papers in the states said the 4 year plan was the right thing to be doing.
    I'm not forgetting he put us here either,
    it's criminal Bertie Ahern has been let get away with everything he's done and act like an Irish celebrity.

Don't hate me, but, I keep hearing people internationally (politicians ect) saying Ireland is doing everything right.
    Gordon Brown said it on the late late show and one of the financial papers in the states said the 4 year plan was the right thing to be doing.
    I'm not forgetting he put us here either,
    it's criminal Bertie Ahern has been let get away with everything he's done and act like an Irish celebrity.

I have no idea what agenda those international politicians have, or whether they know the facts about the crash.

Maybe they want to see our corporation tax changed to suit themselves? Maybe they believe the FF spin that everyone got greedy, and therefore incorrectly see FF taxing us to get it back as "just and fair" ?

All I know is that robbing €22,000 and counting from people is wrong, not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

newmug wrote: »

I agree. But they're the best of a bad lot at the moment. And cowen isn't the "leader" of the country, he's the leader of FF, who, as the government at the moment, are the ultimate subordinates to the Irish people.!

I am amazed how much people downplay the role/importance of the CS here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

No. Plain and simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement