Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

excollier wrote: »
    Ok then, some linux receivers can do the 7 day freesat epg, and allegedly the new Walker HD satellite receiver can do it.
    The Ariva 120 can't, and it is most unlikely to in the future. The likes of Technomate, who are well supported with patches for years, can't do it....
    So no, I don't know, but I don't think it will. Read through the threads, and you will probably come to the same conclusion.
    Off Topic but the Technomates can. They are pretty much alone in combo world of non linux boxes of being the only that can probably because a UK software TM developer was arsed to do it (but the boxes are a lot more expensive and the patch is just that, a patch requiring manual interaction). I have linked to the repository before (ITS ONLY FOR TECHNOMATES!).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

scruffy66 wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, I think im of the same mind, i dont want to get involved in supplying and installing hard drives for the combo boxes, more hasle than
    their worth, to many phone calls back and forth.Thanks for the info ill check them out anyway.

Hi all. I am looking for a hard disk for the 120.
    My understanding is that I should get an ext HD with its own power supply rather than a USB disk.

I have checked the websites of
    tvtrade, marx-computers, pixmania and pcworld
    but I can only find USB powered disks including as Tony suggested WesternD and Verbatim....
    Can anyone tell me if I have my stupid hat on, or where to go for a disk?

thanks in advance
    anxie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

anxie wrote: »
    My understanding is that I should get an ext HD with its own power supply rather than a USB disk.

but I can only find USB powered disks including as Tony suggested WesternD and Verbatim....

thanks in advance
    anxie
    They are there alright, just not that we'll described. An example from PCW here, albeit not a great selection. In the specifications, it will, in most cases, make reference to an " external power supply" indicating non-USB powered devices.

Have a look At this one fromDABS.IE - a better buy IMO.

You could also try adverts.ie - always a few floating around

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

anxie wrote: »

thanks in advance
    anxie

I am using two Ariva 120's since last June and I am using successfully, an 8GB Verbatim usb stick on the box upstairs as a means of pausing live TV, and downstairs, I am using a 500 GB Buffallo USB powered hard drive. I have used this consistantly for recording and pausing live TV. So thankfully, after nine months of use, I can report no problems. Insidentally, I bought both drives in Harvey Normans.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

Really appreciate the answers, thanks applewoodgo and dodzy.
    I will check out HN and nice point on the USB stick for a secondary box.
    Haven't seen dabs.ie before, cheers.
    anxie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Hi, anybody got a link for FTA channel lists, ie sorted into favorites/ groups for 120 combo version V2.15 5

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Might be something listed here that interests you ... as mentioned watch out for the power supply requirements .....

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_01opsl/11_hdd/05_exthdd/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Have a Hitachi Touro 1 TB that works fine that I got from Harvey Normans.

Any ideas on whether dual recording/watching is supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Morris Code

I know that the recommendation is to use an externally powered Hard drive-but out of curiosity I tried recording a movie last night on to a 32GB USB stick-with success.Haven't watched the whole movie but a quick skip thru it today and it seems perfect.Can't see why it wouldn't work for anyone with this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

a USB powered HDD is different to a USB stick.

• Advertisement

Compton wrote: »
    a USB powered HDD is different to a USB stick.

+1

.... and nobody is saying that a USB powered HDD would *not* work ........ only that you are advised by the manufacturer not to use one. It could damage the box ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think when they say use a externally powered hard drive they really mean don't use a 2.5" external hard drive which is only powered through the usb.

i.e. the USB port on the Ariva doesn't supply enough power for some external hard drives so you could damage the usb port by trying to draw too much power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

recyclebin wrote: »
    i.e. the USB port on the Ariva doesn't supply enough power for some external hard drives so you could damage the usb port by trying to draw too much power

It's not just the Ariva, Usb only supplies 500mA of power, just barely enough for any mechanical drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

Hi I hope some one can help me. I purchased a ferguson Ariva 120, Sky satellite dish LNB and UHF aeriel and had it supplied and fitted 2 weeks ago for 160e by James of Scan Tv and he got the box from TV trade. I was happy with the price and the service. This morning I put my TV on and there was no picture, on the box digital display the No. of the last channel I was watching was on but nothing on the TV. So I turned the box off and tried again still nothing and no display either. I've unplugged it lots of times but still nothing. when I turn the switch off on the back I get the terrestrial channels through the UHF aerial but no digital and no satellite channels. Has any one come across this problem and is there anything I can do to rectify this, My kids are going mad coz they only stay with me at weekends. Could it be a fuse inside the box that I could change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

paddydu wrote: »
    Hi I hope some one can help me. I purchased a ferguson Ariva 120, Sky satellite dish LNB and UHF aeriel and had it supplied and fitted 2 weeks ago for 160e by James of Scan Tv and he got the box from TV trade. I was happy with the price and the service. This morning I put my TV on and there was no picture, on the box digital display the No. of the last channel I was watching was on but nothing on the TV. So I turned the box off and tried again still nothing and no display either. I've unplugged it lots of times but still nothing. when I turn the switch off on the back I get the terrestrial channels through the UHF aerial but no digital and no satellite channels. Has any one come across this problem and is there anything I can do to rectify this, My kids are going mad coz they only stay with me at weekends. Could it be a fuse inside the box that I could change?
    There was a bad batch of these boxes knocking about around Christmas & they displayed problems like yours but as far as I remember you are given some indication of the error on the led display which in your case in not happening, advice was to return them for a replacement, no use to you on Sunday morning with kids wanting to watch TV, where in Dublin are you ???

I am in D8 near st james hspital the man who supplied the box isn't answering his phone!
    thanks for replying to my problem

Hi guys the 120 box I have was purchased at tv trade does any one no anything about them good or bad?

Check the cable between box and TV is correctly plugged in.
    the man who supplied the box isn't answering his phone!

:confused: You expect the fitter to be available to you on Sunday? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Its a Combi receiver which is very common among installers. It is not an Approved Saorview receiver. I personally dont use them for just Irish and English channels because the recevier dont have a 7 day Epg for satellite also the satellite side of it is just a Free to Air receiver which will need to be retuned when a channel changes frequency or transponder. I do use this receiver if a customer wanted a mix of English and European channels along with Irish DTT. The Terrestrial side of it wont receive Aertel/Interactive services after Oct24th. And all of this is explained to a customer before they choose what they want from me.

The Guy who you bought the system off did you find him on Donedeal.

There is no way that he could supply and install a Receiver, a dish and a Aerial/lashing kit for €160 and pay expenses back out of it.

If you feel he wont stand over the warrenty on your install/equipment.
    As the saying Goes word of Mouth can be bad for Business

Hi guys the 120 box I have was purchased at tv trade does any one no anything about them good or bad?
    I can lend you a 120 combo until you get sorted if you want to make your way up to D7 before 3 o'Clock

• Advertisement

Thanks lensman thats really kind of you, I'l b ok for the afternoon as i shall take the kids out coz of the good weather. il be back online this evening and we shall see where I am at with this box. thanks again

Thanks lensman thats really kind of you, I'l b ok for the afternoon as i shall take the kids out coz of the good weather. il be back online this evening and we shall see where I am at with this box. thanks again

No problem, TV trade seem to be an ok outfit so I'd say you wont have a problem getting a replacment, I would contact them first thing in the morning....have you got all receipts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If you point the remote at the box and say press 2 does the channel on the box change to 2 on the display ?

If yes, then the cable between the box and the TV is loose OR you have the incorrect input channel on your TV selected.

The corrupt batch knocking around from Christmas display ASH or nothing when fecked. They dont display any channel Number. The box is set up to select a certain channel on boot, which means it is booting.

Check the cables and proper INPUT channel on TV. Yes TVtrade are reputable by the way.

no nothing happens and nothing is on in the display. I have left it unplugged for the last 2 hours and may not try it until later, because i noticed the box was warm this morning when i discovered this problem

STB wrote: »
    If you point the remote at the box and say press 2 does the channel on the box change to 2 on the display ?

If yes, then the cable between the box and the TV is loose OR you have the incorrect input channel on your TV selected.

The corrupt batch knocking around from Christmas display ASH or nothing when fecked. They dont display any channel Number. The box is set up to select a certain channel on boot, which means it is booting.

Check the cables and proper INPUT channel on TV. Yes TVtrade are reputable by the way.
    I think the OP said the box initially had a channel number on the box but no sound or picture on tv screen, he powered off/on the box & the box then had nothing on the led display & still no sound or video,..there are a few simple things I assumed he already tried like a different wall power socket & different 2 to 3pin adaptor as some adaptors are very poor quality & loose fitting.

Just got a replacement unit. Any ideas of the ampage that should be used in fuse in the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just got a replacement unit. Any ideas of the ampage that should be used in fuse in the plug

Don't use a plug, use the adapter supplied, if you put a 3 pin plug on the lead you will invalidate the ferguson warranty.

Edit: The fuse in the adaptor is usually 3 amp.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I suppose dual recording/watching is something that doesn't work or has anyone got this working?

Also my recording using EPG don't use the correct time. For Example I was recording Republic Of Telly on Network 2 last night and it comes up with Frontline which was on RTE1. Anyone else seeing this or am I the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Apparently it does not automatically update the time changes. Go to Menu>System>Local Time Setting. Set GMT usage to "On". GMT Offset to "UTC + 00.00". Summer Time to "On". The info panel should then read "Reykjavik, Casablanca, Lisbon, Dublin, London". Your stns should then show the right time and your Timer should be current.

You see the same as I do when I record. The name on the recording will be that of the stn that you will be watching. Annoying. I emailed Ferguson about it, but got no reply:(.

• Advertisement

@Kristopherus Thanks for the info. I've tried that and I'll keep an eye on that.

Do you know if the dual recording/playing works?

Appreciate the info.

@Tony Thanks for the info on the fuse.

Advertisement