Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Wilberto wrote: »
    But surely you need to put some incentives for water conservation in place. If I was to be very careful when it came to the amount of water I was using then why should I have to pay the same as a person who's ridiculously careless and wasteful and uses three to four times as much as I do?

Its about scale. Water is so abundant, its ridiculous. Especially in this country. If I used 100L of water per day, and you used 1000L, you are using 10 times more than me. But water isn't treated by the 1KL, its treated in the millions of litres. So it costs virtually the same to treat 1,000,000 litres as it does to treat 1,001,000. Its like trying to sell sand to an Arab. The only thing that should be charged for is the water infrastructure - oh wait, our taxes ALREADY pay for that! So while Enda has his pension, his merc, his huge salary etc., I have to choose between feeding my son or buying some diesel to go to an interview in Dublin. And now I have to pay for the most abundant resource on Earth aswell. I'm sorry, but I'm out. Not playing anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My mate who's a short 5 foot five asked a slightly taller girl in work out. Her reply was I only like tall men. Now no matter what he does he can't change his height. The girl was a little tubby IMHO. How would it be worse to say to her "I only date slim people"? It's in her power to become slim it's not in my mate's power to become tall. In short if you reject someone I don't think it's acceptable to tell the person I'm rejecting you because you don't look a certain way. Just say no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think sports are stupid and watching other people do them on television is an incomprehensible waste of time.
    Moving a ball of any shape from person to person or place to place is bizarre enough; but Formula 1 has to be the nadir. Watching bees around a hive while listening to the buzzing is extremely similar [but at least there may be some honey in the end of it.]

steddyeddy wrote: »
    My mate who's a short 5 foot five asked a slightly taller girl in work out. Her reply was I only like tall men. Now no matter what he does he can't change his height. The girl was a little tubby IMHO. How would it be worse to say to her "I only date slim people"? It's in her power to become slim it's not in my mate's power to become tall. In short if you reject someone I don't think it's acceptable to tell the person I'm rejecting you because you don't look a certain way. Just say no thanks.

I realise I used the phrase "in short" there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

My other half owns his own house, yet he seems to think i should be splitting costs of new bathroom/kitchen etc..

i don't think i should...

Major arguments arise from our opposite views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That's so cruel. My last mistake was shorter than me.....but the earth moved :D He should have said, "I don't date shallow people". :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,063 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

newmug wrote: »
    Its about scale. Water is so abundant, its ridiculous. Especially in this country. If I used 100L of water per day, and you used 1000L, you are using 10 times more than me. But water isn't treated by the 1KL, its treated in the millions of litres. So it costs virtually the same to treat 1,000,000 litres as it does to treat 1,001,000. Its like trying to sell sand to an Arab. The only thing that should be charged for is the water infrastructure - oh wait, our taxes ALREADY pay for that! So while Enda has his pension, his merc, his huge salary etc., I have to choose between feeding my son or buying some diesel to go to an interview in Dublin. And now I have to pay for the most abundant resource on Earth aswell. I'm sorry, but I'm out. Not playing anymore.
    You don't have to pay. Sink your own well and treat your own water. Job done.

If however you want to connect to the mains and use treatable water, then unfortunately you should stop being a scab and pay your own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

shakencat wrote: »
    My other half owns his own house, yet he seems to think i should be splitting costs of new bathroom/kitchen etc..

Are you going to use the new kitchen and bathroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Deranged96 wrote: »
    I will say that on TLLS they too have their share of eejits from the limelight but for the most part you'll find something to make you think on there

Come Friday night, I think many folks are more in the mood for a bit of mindless frivolity over the death & disease 'misery slot' that's become a perennial feature of Tubridy's show.

If the Late Late wanted to do 'serious' well, they could re-introduce the panel discussions that were an integral part of the show under Gaybo's tenure - book articulate & opinionated guests who are passionate about social issues & current affairs, then sit back and watch the sparks fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Do you live there? If so, do you pay rent to live there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Are you married to this "other half"? do you live there? do you use the Kitchen and Bathroom?

Its my opinion that you arejust looking for a free ride (so to speak) and unless you are planning on dumping him and moving out soon you should be contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You're right. He's investing in and upgrading an asset. His asset.
    Hoop66 wrote: »
    Do you live there? If so, do you pay rent to live there?
    Are you married to this "other half"? do you live there? do you use the Kitchen and Bathroom?

Its my opinion that you arejust looking for a free ride (so to speak) and unless you are planning on dumping him and moving out soon you should be contributing.

Stuff and nonsense. You might just as well suggest that she be entitled to proceeds/profit from the sale of the house, should it happen, because she uses it. Or that she should share the cost of repairing and servicing his car because he gives her a lift here-and-there.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

I can see what you are saying that he cant change his height, but she cant change what she fancies in a man. And if she doesnt fancy him so be it. at least she was honest ( well i presume she was honest and not using it as an excuse )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Draw up a contract and pay him rent.

Problem solved.

jimgoose wrote: »

Stuff and nonsense. You might just as well suggest that she be entitled to proceeds/profit from the sale of the house, should it happen, because she uses it. Or that she should share the cost of repairing and servicing his car because he gives her a lift here-and-there.

I have no doubt that when the house is sold the first thing she will want is a share of the proceeds from her "other Half." :p:p:p

• Advertisement

So are you paying the going rate or half the mortgage? (it might be the same figure)

If you are paying the going rate - you should expect it to increase following the work as it is an improved living space.

obriendj wrote: »
    So are you paying the going rate or half the mortgage? (it might be the same figure)

If you are paying the going rate - you should expect it to increase following the work as it is an improved living space.

Indeed. And if I were paying half the mortgage I should look forward to my equity building merrily in the establishment as part-proprietor of a spangly new kitchen and bathroom! :D

Indeed. And if I were paying half the mortgage I should look forward to my equity building merrily in the establishment as part-proprietor of a spangly new kitchen and bathroom! :D

Sorry I responded to your post thinking you were the OP.

I agree with what you are saying. It's his asset.
    but in the long term and if they marry it will belong to both of them in the eyes of the law so it might be an investment in her own new kitchen/bathroom.

but in the long term and if they marry it will belong to both of them in the eyes of the law so it might be an investment in her own new kitchen/bathroom.

Quite correct. At which point life will become quite complicated enough without inventing a load of faux-business bullshine between boyfriend and girlfriend. This kind of crapola is what has us where we are! :pac:

Not automatically it won't, he would have to transfer it to her for that to happen. In fairness though you'd think he would do that especially having demanded she pay for half of the refit.

• Advertisement

Not automatically it won't, he would have to transfer it to her for that to happen. In fairness though you'd think he would do that especially having demanded she pay for half of the refit.

If they get married then separate / divorce is she not automatically entitled to half?

If they get married then separate / divorce is she not automatically entitled to half?

Usually that applies to assets/gains acquired after the marriage. Like I said, it gets complicated! :D

No, it might work out that way in a lot of cases but not automatically.

I can see what you are saying that he cant change his height, but she cant change what she fancies in a man. And if she doesnt fancy him so be it. at least she was honest ( well i presume she was honest and not using it as an excuse )

Vast difference between not finding a girl attractive and telling her why you don't find her attractive. I.E too fat

In fact it's more offensive to call someone short than call them fat IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Well the former might be the worse thing a man could hear but the latter is by the far the worst thing a woman could hear (I don't think a woman would care if she was called short - I certainly wouldn't though I'd have a meltdown if someone called me fat).

I suppose offence depends on the person and what is sensitive to them.

Well the former might be the worse thing a man could hear but the latter is by the far the worst thing a woman could hear (I don't think a woman would care if she was called short - I certainly wouldn't though I'd have a meltdown if someone called me fat).

That's true alright but I don't get why some people think it's acceptable to say to people I wouldn't go out with you unless you looked taller/slimmer ect. Thinking it's OK but there's no reason to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Or you could just take on half the negative equity right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

That's true alright but I don't get why some people think it's acceptable to say to people I wouldn't go out with you unless you looked taller/slimmer ect. Thinking it's OK but there's no reason to say it.

I agree completely. Totally unnecessary. I remember my friend asked a boy in my class in primary school who I was in love with to go out with me (as you did back then) and he came up to me and told me his answer was no because I was too tall (I was at the age when the girls were all taller than the boys). That shizzle still hurts, man.:( :pac:

Funnily enough, he was also the school chubby kid (when schools only had one or two). If I was a meaner child....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

In general, men are better drivers.
    I am a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Agreed. The obese can lose weight. The short arses can't change their height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

fussyonion wrote: »
    In general, men are better drivers.
    I am a woman.

Spend five minutes in a car with me and you will soon revaluate that opinion.

No I'm not there for the 'free ride'

I pay rent
    as do 2 others that live there too.

i don't expect anything of the house as I didn't buy it.

I love how you all seem to think I'm out for money or the house.

No, we're not married.

Yes of course i will use the kitchen and bathroom.
    as will the two other house mates.
    we all pay rent.

the mortgage isn't split between us both.

Or you could just take on half the negative equity right ?

If you are actually paying half the mortgage and not whistling Dixie that is indeed the deal, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It sounds fair enough for you not to pay. You are paying rent and if you broke up you wouldnt get anything out of it. Likewise if he sold the house I wouldnt expect him to share the money.

Is he looking for money from the other 2?

It sounds fair enough for you not to pay. You are paying rent and if you broke up you wouldnt get anything out of it. Likewise if he sold the house I wouldnt expect him to share the money.

Is he looking for money from the other 2?

of course not..

because they are renting.

as am I..

I just happen to be in a relationship with him too,
    I also pay full rent just like the rest.

I have no doubt that when the house is sold the first thing she will want is a share of the proceeds from her "other Half." :p:p:p

We are not married.

I do not want anything from the house as its not mine.

Its HIS.

I wasn't with him when he bought the house, it wasn't a plan to find someone with a house in their name.

I pay rent.

There is no need to be rude, basically calling me a gold digger without even asking questions.
    assuming I'm just there for free accommodation/Money/House

Maybe thats what you do, or thats what you have experienced.

But don't just assume the worst in people.

Are you really that fcukan horrible??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

if you are paying the same rent as the other two tenants you are a tenant. if you were paying no rent just contributing to the bills esb & oil and groceries and toiletries then you would be his live in partner. Eventually to become a common law wife however you have no rights at the moment. You are a tenant and if its a poxy kitchen and bathroom as a landlord he has to make them better for his tenants. You are not obliged to share the costs unless he has made a verbal committment that this is your house and our house for the future. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

It depends on the gender, TBH. Being called fat is way worse from females, being short for men. Being short isn't really an ish for women, but lots of women like tall men. But women in general have much more pressure on them appearance-wise, so being called fat is tough for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Call people "Short round" instead, everyone's offended! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I'd agree if the new kitchen et al has to be added to the mortgage, the rent has to go up, but other than that, it is the house owner's decision - not something to be contributed by one of his tenants just because he's going out with her. That's a kinda weird demand.
    I don't think she should have said anything about his appearance though, just "no thanks".

I'm a teenyweeny person and I don't care about being called short, it's just a fact. BUT, being short is a huge deal for a guy in a way that it just isn't for me. To a lot of men my size is attractive, it's hardly ever the case with a man. Luckily I don't know how being called fat feels, but I'd say it's similarly devastating for a woman. No need for anyone to be mean when rejecting anyone, just a polite no should be enough.

Of course there's always the persistent types who refuse to take a polite no for an answer and think as you don't tell them to f-off that you're interested, but that's another thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Quazzie wrote: »
    You don't have to pay. Sink your own well and treat your own water. Job done.

If however you want to connect to the mains and use treatable water, then unfortunately you should stop being a scab and pay your own way.

A) Stop with the insults. You're only letting yourself down.
    B) I already pay. As does every single taxpayer. Even those with their own wells. I'm not paying twice.
    C) Try and keep up. It'll benefit you overall in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

newmug wrote: »
    A) Stop with the insults. You're only letting yourself down.
    B) I already pay. As does every single taxpayer. Even those with their own wells. I'm not paying twice.
    C) Try and keep up. It'll benefit you overall in life.

Nice to see the rule of three being abused, you only have one (somewhat) valid point.
    C also happens to be a thinly veiled insult, I refer you to point A above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You can't really compare the two in any way though. Being called short is a comment on something someone can't change. That's only the case with being fat in a minority of cases. The fact that it's somehow worse to call someone fat is laughable to me.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It depends on the gender, TBH. Being called fat is way worse from females, being short for men. Being short isn't really an ish for women, but lots of women like tall men. But women in general have much more pressure on them appearance-wise, so being called fat is tough for us.

Well you just said there's pressure put on women about their appearance and in the same breath said women like tall men. So obviously there's pressure on both genders.

Agreed. The obese can lose weight. The short arses can't change their height.

If you call someone short - there is nothing he can do is there any point in getting offended.

If you call someone fat - then you are saying you choose to be overweight and you are too lazy to do anything about it. (with the exception of an illness)

So I would think you are not only saying they are fat but also lazy and putting their health at risk. Which seems to me is more offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

In the context of people asking each other out men do the vast majority of the leg work.
    A short man on the dating scene is at a distinct disadvantage.
    You're likely going to have been faced with some serious rejection based solely on your height.

This is tough to take, is always going to be a factor and it's something you can do nothing about.
    The only option you have is to learn to accept your situation.
    Where as an overweight woman in the vast majority of cases has the power to change her situation.
    She has some kind of control over her situation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement