Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtlough Pistol Range

Options
  • 05-11-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

I believe that Courtlough now have a pistol range. Does anyone know if it is just for .22 or will they allow centrefire as well ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

freddieot wrote: »
    I believe that Courtlough now have a pistol range. Does anyone know if it is just for .22 or will they allow centrefire as well ?

The pistol range isn't quite finished yet but should be open in the next few months.
    As for caliber - that hasn't been decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

There isnt really much point in it being anything other than a .22 range as it is not possible to licence anything else. Unless they plan on hosting competitions for people who already had them licenced, i would think it would be too much of an expense to do so. Still it is great that there will be aother pistol range around.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Quite a few centrefires around still. IMO a big mistake not to make the range complaint for fullbore. A large number of shooters in Dublin and surrounding areas making long trips to other clubs to fire CF pistol !

I'm a member at Midlands, shoot in Newry and the odd time in Wexford. I'd still probably keep this up but Courtlough is only 25 mins from me and similar might probably be said for lots of guys. Bearing in mind that Courtlough also facilitate Shotgun and .22 rifle then the addition of pistol including CF would be very attractive.

Have to wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Freddy - you should come to Harbour House then too . CF Pistol, 22 pistol and rifle, shotgun, archery too

LB6 wrote: »
    Freddy - you should come to Harbour House then too . CF Pistol, 22 pistol and rifle, shotgun, archery too

CF rifle??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

there is CF Rifle allowed, but ranges only go out to 50m atm. There's no FTR there

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Harbour House is a great set-up. I did not realise they had CF rifle. I'll take a look next time I'm out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

LB6 wrote: »
    there is CF Rifle allowed, but ranges only go out to 50m atm. There's no FTR there

"atm" ................. are there plans for a longer range?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"atm" ................. are there plans for a longer range?

There is a 100m range under construction atm.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There is a 100m range under construction atm.

Thanks for info.

Now that makes it an interesting prospect for membership there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Best Range in the Country no doubt about it!

Can members use the range during the week, namely Mon to Fri?

cw67irl wrote: »
    Best Range in the Country no doubt about it!

Depends on what your in to I suppose, personally I wouldn't bother going to a range to shoot CF rifle @ 50m :)

I can shoot rimfire @ 100 in Courtlough and you can't beat the Midlands for CF rifle IMO

Since the title of the thread refers to Courtlough I think I should say that they have to have the best sporting clay layout I've seen, and arguably the best spot in the country for Clays.

2 Registered Skeet Layouts
    4 Registered DTL Layouts
    2 Olympic Trap Layouts
    14 Sporting Stands
    2 Compact Sporting Stands
    90 Foot High Tower For Driven Targets
    Fully Automated Traps
    Claymate system and voice activated throughout the grounds. So people can shoot on their own without the need for someone to push buttons etc
    All weather shooting all layouts are under cover so you can shoot rain, sleet or snow.
    Voice Activated Shooting Stands in Olympic Trap, ABT & DTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Can members use the range during the week, namely Mon to Fri?

The range can be used by arrangement during the week as long as you have a qualified range officer in supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Quick question and sorry but didn't think it warranted a new thread. Does anyone one know what the rate for clay shooting for members at Courtlough is. Thinking of joining but hear some say it is expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All their contact details are on our contact list thread here.

I seen on their website some prices but i'm not sure if it's members or not.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Members pay 28c per clay. €14 for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I was there before on the rifle range as a commerical person(didnt have a gun or was a member ) I was asking them about membership . One thing they said was that members must buy their ammo there. I know most people would but I didn't like the idea that you had to buy ammo off them.

They do in fairness have a great setup and its clear they have put a lot of money into it

bpb101 wrote: »
    ................ One thing they said was that members must buy their ammo there.....................
    Why? Which ammo? (shotgun, pistol, rifle)
    I know most people would but I didn't like the idea that you had to buy ammo off them
    Depends on what ammo, but i don't like the idea of that either.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Why? Which ammo? (shotgun, pistol, rifle)

why , i dont know, i presume to get more money out of people
    I presume all types of ammo( There was no pistol range at the time)
    Cass wrote: »
    Depends on what ammo, but i don't like the idea of that either.

maybe somebody here who is a member might be able to shed some light on the policy , just what i was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

You have to buy the ammo when you're using the rifle range - CCI subs , €12 for a 100 box... Kinda sucks cos my rifle shoots CCI subs to the same accuracy as a slingshot haha ! I Just buy the box and sell them on to a friend that likes them and I use my own Eley subs thee. They clay set up - you can use your own cartridges unless you're hiring the gun..

Snakezilla wrote: »
    You have to buy the ammo when you're using the rifle range - CCI subs , €12 for a 100 box... Kinda sucks cos my rifle shoots CCI subs to the same accuracy as a slingshot haha ! I Just buy the box and sell them on to a friend that likes them and I use my own Eley subs thee. They clay set up - you can use your own cartridges unless you're hiring the gun..
    what the price on the rifle range? is it only buy the rounds?
    Can you not just buy eleys there?

Why though?

What is the idea of it? If my gun does not shoot those well or at all, then why the feck would i buy it?

I'm not trying to make an issue out it, but it boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

The main reason behind it is that the range is authorised for the use of "subsonic" rounds only hence why they prefer you buy the rounds there so it can be policed. There was issues in the past with people bringing their own Ammo saying it was Subsonic and it turned it wasn't and the targets weren't damaged etc hence the reason to restrict ammo purchased only for use on the range. Unfortunately a small few ruin it for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

They must have dropped their prices so the last day I was there it was 20 eu for 100 remy subs, I just took my usual CCI and plinked away with them. It's not a great range to be honest as the baffles come down so you are restricted in terms or bipod or rest height!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

cw67irl wrote: »
    They must have dropped their prices so the last day I was there it was 20 eu for 100 remy subs,

Jaysus, for that price you could get two boxes of RWS50 and still have money left over for targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

bpb101 wrote: »
    what the price on the rifle range? is it only buy the rounds?
    Can you not just buy eleys there?

I pay €22 for the 100 rounds and the rest I presume is the range fee ! Ive never seen anything other than CCI subs for sale there - no crappy remmys or my usual eleys or anything else. There is other .22 ammo but not permitted for use on the range - saying that , people do use the HV ammo anyway so I dont see how it makes sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

I was in Courtlough with my son last Sunday morning to try out my new .22 rifle. Use of the range, the purchase of 50 RWS subsonics and 50 Eley subsonics plus targets cost €22.00.
    The range has 50, 75 and 100 metre targets.
    In my opinion it is well set up with shooting points for both left and right handed guns and represents good value for money.
    They require that you produce your license and proof of insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement