Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That expression dates back to stuff my mum said. If you knocked something over she would say 'one down! a bag of nuts! Two down - a coconut'.

She'd also say 'soot down' if you sneezed :D which made a change from 'bless you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Earl Grey, no milk, no sugar, from a pot into a fine china cup.
    I used to drink mugs of builders strength tea with milk and ALL the sugar. When I quit those additives I found I could taste the tea. Love the jasmines, the darjeelings, the "English" breakfast teas but given a choice it's Earl Grey for me thank you very much.

Mrs. OG has a taste for a more tradtional afternoon tea. Hendricks Gin. And yes, we do own the full set of teapot and cups.
    header.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Oooh I had forgotten about jasmine tea, used to love it but haven't had it in years, must get some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

BrensBenz wrote: »
    While reading this opus, a few alternatives were circulating in my head. Then I read "All other instructions are wrong of course". Now, I'm too scared to suggest alternatives.

Well, maybe.....would it be OK to use a ceramic teapot and spoons? My Chinese buddy gave me a set and I think they might know something about tea. But only if JB approves, of course.
    Also, is the stirring in a "clockwise direction" applicable to both earthly hemispheres or, when south of the equator, is it permisable to stir anti-clockwise?
    Finally, my watch has a built-in stopwatch but when does the clock start for the "43 to 60 seconds" drawing? From first introduction of freshly boiled water or from when all of the tea / teabags are fully submerged?
    Do I need to use a certified calibrated timepiece?
    If I'm pouring boiling water, how do I start my stopwatch?

This tea-making is much more complicated than I thought. I only wanted something hot and wet to dunk my ginger nuts in.

Anyone may suggest their own instructions but of course they will be wrong!

Ceramic teapot and spoons – not allowed. I thought I made myself clear…..stainless steel, all the way. Our Chinese cousins know all there is to know about growing tea, but they didn’t know what to do with it until Paddy the Irishman turned up at Fred’s court one day and said “hey Fred, you’re doing that all wrong….here, I’ll show ya how t’make a daycent cup of tay’’ and from that day ‘till this they make it (my) way.

Clockwise direction in any darn hemisphere you want, North Pole, South Pole, Aussieland, the spoon must revolve clockwise otherwise it will confuse the tea and that was the mistake Fred made, he stirred it anti-clockwise, confused the tea, and he was forever known as Confucius after that.

When timing the ‘draw’, you start the stopwatch when you have poured in your boiling water and put the lid on the teapot. You do not watch to see when the tea or teabags have submerged, that is nobody’s business except the tea’s.

A certified calibrated timepiece would of course be perfect for the job, but anything purchased in Weir’s of Grafton Street will suffice.

looksee wrote: »
    Well there's a whole new subject, dunking gingernuts. Or any kind of cookies (*ducks*). Its been done before? Oh.

So what do you think about having to take your shoes off as you enter the house?

Do you mean taking your shoes off automatically, or requested by the householder to do so? I would not do it automatically. If asked, I would tell the householder to 'naff off', and never visit them again.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    When timing the ‘draw’, you start the stopwatch when you have poured in your boiling water

I read this quickly and thought you were putting boiling water into the stopwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I read this quickly and thought you were putting boiling water into the stopwatch.

So did I for a split second :D

Yiz keep wandering......wandering.......wandering. Focus man, focus! This is one of life's mysteries I'm revealing to yiz.

I am wondering why I am wandering :)

:rolleyes: Tsk, it's one of those threads that goes round in endless circles. What's next on the agenda, I wonder?

It's a bit blustery out there tonight guys, keep cosy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hey everyone,

there's a poll on the weather forum about the best/hottest/driest summer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057291023

A selection of years is given and I wanted to push 1976, I wonder if there were more people in the Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas forum that would have been around then. More votes for 1995 (a good year, not a great year) at the moment may be a sign that boards.ie is populated by chungfellas and chungwans

regards,
    T.

• Advertisement

I have too many AH style answers to the above poll for me to post safely under the weather forums rules.
    I also have a preference for spring ans autumn, they are my Best times. Excessively long dry hot sunny summers are a pain (actual pain if I don't use enough sunscreen).

I think this last one was one of the best in that it didn't get ridiculously hot, but was sunny and pleasant, and went on well into the autumn. Lovely year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

So what do you think about having to take your shoes off as you enter the house?

I worked in Winnipeg (Winterpeg) for almost two years and it was de rigueur there to remove shoes at the front door. This made some sense because Winnipeg has REAL weather and a lot of it stuck to your shoes. Houses had waterproof, absorbent mats in the hallways and, when leaving, the ice and snow had thawed from your shoes, with no mess.

However, I felt it necessary to object to anything strange and to re-educate the entire Canadian nation in the ways of d'oul sod. Pretty soon, householders would chant " come in, eh? Take the shoes off, put the shoes on, take the shoes off" etc. in the manner of Muttley the Mutt.

Now I don't have a great problem with the concept of removing shoes at Irish doors. After all, it gives me a reason to change socks every week or two rather than having to resort to surgical procedures........annually!

I am posting solely to see if my sig is working...trying to put the word about, drum up new business!

Make sure I get my tea and bikkies tomorrow :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    Make sure I get my tea and bikkies tomorrow :D

You surely will Rube, will you pop in and put the kettle on about ten to four? Will someone pick up some bikkies in the supermarket please?

I am posting solely to see if my sig is working...trying to put the word about, drum up new business!
    There is a testing forum for this type of thing ya know.
    Oh and did my new signature post OK?

OldGoat wrote: »
    There is a testing forum for this type of thing ya know.
    Oh and did my new signature post OK?

Yes, I was being less than honest, I had tested it in the test forum :cool: just needed an excuse...

I might get round to working up something a bit more artistic! Possibly.:D

Is that too small now?

The reason I use the smaller font is that I used to have lots more in my sig and needed the eight lines rather than the standard four. That was back in the days when my sig was a frequently changing collection of recipes for cooking goat.
    I like the smaller font, it look well.

• Advertisement

Agree the smaller font looks better, but we are aiming at Oulwans - maybe I should use GREAT BIG type? In GREEN. :D

Wonder if we could have the whole forum changed to "Large Print", or even audio threads?!?! If only we knew someone involved in radio that could create sound-files of threads for us to click on and listen too.
    I want Brian Blessed to do my voiceover.

I had a friend tell me once that I had a 'sexy voice'. Since he is spectacularly gay I don't think this proves anything. I think I sound like a duck quacking.

I am happy with my signature as it is also a link if you click on it to another forum. Could you do one for here Looksee?

(One of the regulars in the forum in question did it for me :) )

Oh that's a good point Rube, I'll see what I can do.

D'ye know what, I'm only a flippin genius, I did done it! (put hyperlink in sig) now if there were some way I could remember how to do it next time I need it, that would be really good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I have no idea what you lot are talking about:(:(:(

Ok hen, pay attention :cool: There will be a test.

You see where it says about Oulwans & Oulfellas and Carers under my post? That's a sig (signature).

And you see where it says (here) in black? Well if you click on that it takes you to the forum in question, and its called a hyperlink! (I had to look up how to do it, but we don't admit that :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I'll have to take all that info and try and see if it will lodge in my Luddite brain:D

At the moment I'm more concerned about my roof holding as there are some fierce gusts hitting my little nest. The joys of coastal living.........

• Advertisement

tampopo wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

there's a poll on the weather forum about the best/hottest/driest summer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057291023

A selection of years is given and I wanted to push 1976, I wonder if there were more people in the Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas forum that would have been around then. More votes for 1995 (a good year, not a great year) at the moment may be a sign that boards.ie is populated by chungfellas and chungwans

regards,
    T.

Some of us O & O's began collecting our pension in 1976! (ducks, runs awayyyy!). Seriously, 1976 was HOT, I remember, 'cos I got badly sunburned that year, think I even suffered sunstroke, shivering and shaking all over and trying not to actually touch the bed that I was lying on, a difficult feat. My back, neck, arms and legs were on fire. I'll never forget it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement