Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in D15

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

firebird84 wrote: »
    Can any parents with kids in scoil oilibheir share more about what they do for afterschool care? I believe they have an afterschool program but it ends at 5? Does everyone else who works later use Childminders?

There's a full mix of child care amongst the families; After School, childminders, family members and couple of au pairs. Each family works out what suits them and the school facilitates collection of the kids at 1.30/2.30 as you dictate once its all sorted in advance. Just to note the school itself doesnt run the after school, they just facilitate it.

As Maryjanemax said, the after school called Réaltaí Órga is in a prefab in the yard, if you've been through a local naoinra you might already know those involved in running it! If you pop into the oifig and they'll have a copy of the forms to apply for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Thanks maryjanemax and KGLady! Do you know of any other afterschools running locally that collect from the school? 5.30 is unfortunately still much too early for us so I'd have to either look into a childminder or see if there's some kind of other afterschool options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maryjanemax

Sorry Firebird I haven't come across any other afterschool that collect. We use a mix of the after school and a minder and often have to get grandparents to collect from after school due to the early finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

firebird84 wrote: »
    5.30 is unfortunately still much too early for us so I'd have to either look into a childminder or see if there's some kind of other afterschool options.
    Would it be possible to adjust your working hours to fit the 5:30 finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi Check out the coach house in ballycoolin - they may be of some use as they do pickups and sometimes change the schools they cover.

http://www.thecoachhouse.club/after-school/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Looking for feedback on Le Cheile, Blakestown, Coolmine and Edmund Rice if anyone has any.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Looking for feedback on Le Cheile, Blakestown, Coolmine and Edmund Rice if anyone has any.

No experience of any of those but have heard amazing things about the new principal of Blakestown. It will definitely be a school to emulate in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Is there a reason Riversdale has such low enrolment and seems to have halved its amount of LC graduates in a decade? Is it being phased out for closure?

http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/riversdale-community-college-rollnumber-70081V/college-progression

I live in Finglas myself now but was just wondering, it seems a very low figure considering it's slap bang in the middle of a large populated area (most of it relatively new housing to boot- Warrenstown, Waterville, Castlecurragh, still seems to be plenty of kids knocking around Corduff and Ladyswell too)

148 boys 104 girls, not only a small count for a city school but a strange gender balance, you'd expect the opposite seeing as boys are more likely to leave before LC.

edit- by contrast there are 930 kids at the national schools closest by (Ladyswell, Corduff).

https://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dont know for sure about Riversdale but the gangsters having a shoot out at/close to it will have hit their enrolments badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

spurious wrote: »
    Dont know for sure about Riversdale but the gangsters having a shoot out at/close to it will have hit their enrolments badly.

The general area has had a bad reputation, of varying degrees of deservedness, for over 30 years prior to that incident. You'd be some eejit if that one thing put you off. But the decline in numbers there seems to be accelerating.

A southside private schoolboy clobbered another with a hammer to the head over a drug debt. A psycho kid from another one nearly killed a Tinder date on Dun Laoghaoire pier a while ago. Fairly sure Ana Kriegel and her killers attended a school of reasonable rep.

Obviously some schools are full of scobies but no school has a perfect student body either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Hey folks, any opinions on Scoil Choilm? I'm from the area but haven't heard much. I assume it's grand?

Does anyone have kids in any of these schools and give feedback. Le Cheile Tyrrelstown, Edmund Rice, Eriu Community College, Luttrellstown.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Hey folks, any opinions on Scoil Choilm? I'm from the area but haven't heard much. I assume it's grand?

Hi Seánie, I've two children in School Choilm and am very happy with it. They've a young, enthusiastic teaching staff and both of mine are very happy there. They were great through the lockdown period too. Any questions feel free to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi everyone, sorry in advance for reviving an old thread.

I've my eldest child in 5th class and we are starting to consider secondary schools. We are in Clonee, so looking at Scoil Phoball Setanta, Hansfield Educate Together Secondary School, St. Peter's College in Dunboyne (very low chance of getting in but worth a try) and I also have their name down in Mount Sackville as a back-up plan.

Need to decide by end of this week if we want to pay the booking deposit (non-refundable) for Mount Sackville, which is almost thousand euro (which is then taken against the first year fees).

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat, had any kids attending any of these schools and had any advice? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Arciphel wrote: »

I've my eldest child in 5th class and we are starting to consider secondary schools. We are in Clonee, so looking at Scoil Phoball Setanta, Hansfield Educate Together Secondary School, St. Peter's College in Dunboyne (very low chance of getting in but worth a try) and I also have their name down in Mount Sackville as a back-up plan.

Need to decide by end of this week if we want to pay the booking deposit (non-refundable) for Mount Sackville, which is almost thousand euro (which is then taken against the first year fees).

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat, had any kids attending any of these schools and had any advice? Thanks...

We went with Mount Sackville, our daughter is very happy there and we have no regrets. The only downsides being the travel and the fact that all of her friends are miles away! I’ve heard good things about Setanta but don’t know much about the other two. Good luck with your decision, if you have any questions about Mount Sackville feel free to PM me.

Arciphel wrote: »

Eriu community college is in Barnwell in Ongar too if that's any good to you. My daughter is due to start there in September

Advertisement