Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford General Chat / Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hope so too. Asked my daughter to send us some from her sunny balcony in France. After all, they have been having sun every day almost since I was there in May!! Lucky devils,

Spoke to a lovely Dublin couple who run a pub down in the South of France and they told me that they initially only planned to stay for a year, but they decided that their quality of life was so much better, even by just waking up to sunshine on so many weeks of the year, so now they have permanent residency,

I think a whole group of us sun lovers from Boards should buy a lovely old rustic farmhouse in Provence, grow our own produce and live sunnily ever after near a beautiful old cobbled stoned Medieval village!!!!!!!!! We could log on to boards and Skype home from our terrace, with chilled Chardonay in hand, watching the sun go down over the vineyards and olive groves... the waft of Lavendar floating in from the nearby fields and the taller sunflowers looking down on them from higher ground.

Yes, I have lost it now guys, but the temptation of a little escapism was too much, when I have to listen to fierce rain pounding off my window. It looks and feels like December without the Christmas tree and I want August as it should be.

Ah, only joking of course... so many people in draught torn regions would give so much for what we have, so my ranting and raving was only in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

redsky190812017.jpg

Down Town tonight ...................

What is that white thing lower right and where is the town?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Looks like that picture was taking at the New Ross marina, i cant see anything white on the right, but on the left are bags owned by the New Ross town council.....

Oh I see them now. The sky is amazing in that pic isn't it?

Bannow very mild and warmish today with no wind to speak of.

Still, looks like rain this evening, so best make the most of it.

Just heard about an 18yr old boy who died after a long night of partying. So sad and so terrible for any family to deal with. Apparently he suffered some kind of collapse and never recovered.

Anyone agree that drug and substance awareness be taught in schools?
    It is taught in some schools in Europe and the children are brought to drug units and centres for Alcoholism to see and hear at first hand the impact of such abuse.

They are educated about the different types of drugs, their strengths, their effects and the symptoms they can produce etc.

If they see this while they are very young it could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

havetoquit wrote: »
    Oh I see them now. The sky is amazing in that pic isn't it?

Bannow very mild and warmish today with no wind to speak of.

Still, looks like rain this evening, so best make the most of it.

Just heard about an 18yr old boy who died after a long night of partying. So sad and so terrible for any family to deal with. Apparently he suffered some kind of collapse and never recovered.

Anyone agree that drug and substance awareness be taught in schools?
    It is taught in some schools in Europe and the children are brought to drug units and centres for Alcoholism to see and hear at first hand the impact of such abuse.

They are educated about the different types of drugs, their strengths, their effects and the symptoms they can produce etc.

If they see this while they are very young it could help.

I agree it should be part of education but alas, this is Ireland.....

Yes and it would do no harm to let them see the unfortunates who are living on the streets, sleeping under bridges, using parks to fix and throw their needles etc etc.

If they are totally sheltered from these things until they are teenagers and succumb to peer pressure and so on, then it is often too late.

Of course we could say the responsibility for all of this should go to parents, but then how many teenagers full of optimism and enthusiasm for new experiences will really take their parents seriously and sadly many parents prefer to leave them isolated in their rooms with passive hobbies such as games and surfing the net and often don't even take their meals together.

redsky190812017.jpg

I best clarify this photo - the 2 photos below are also in this one but its a bit dark to see.

The rubbish bags are probably owned by Council who built this :
    TCouncil190812008.jpg

Its an outdoor Barbeque Area ..........and they also installed these metal flowers :
    TCouncil190812006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My young lad did TY year before last - he said they hardly got a week in the year when they didn't get a talk about drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. So, despite being Ireland, that stuff has improved. You just get people thinking it'll never happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I best clarify this photo - the 2 photos below are also in this one but its a bit dark to see.

The rubbish bags are probably owned by Council who built this :
    TCouncil190812008.jpg

Its an outdoor Barbeque Area ..........and they also installed these metal flowers :
    TCouncil190812006.jpg

Mental stuff, when was the BBQ built? WHY was it built? wouldn't be bothered cooking beside someone I didn't know. Weird concept !

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    My young lad did TY year before last - he said they hardly got a week in the year when they didn't get a talk about drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. So, despite being Ireland, that stuff has improved. You just get people thinking it'll never happen to them.

Well unfortunately not everybody does TY and they do need to educate young people more about drugs in schools for sure. with the way things are gone

CopyofNewRoss220812017.jpg

CopyofNewRoss220812022.jpg

Katie looks impressed :)

Catherine-ONeill1.jpg

Best of Luck to Catherine O'Neill on Saturday - Go for Gold :)

Wexford County Council wishes to advise the public that No Swim notices have been issued at beaches at Cullenstown and Duncannon on the South coast of the County.

Routine testing conducted as part of the Council’s bathing water sampling programme showed an exceedance in the mandatory levels for E. Coli and intestinal enterococci at Cullenstown which is not an identified bathing area but is part of the Council’s monitoring programme.

Routine testing at Duncannon showed E. Coli levels at the mandatory limit and following consultation with the HSE it was considered necessary to issue a precautionary warning notice.

Further samples have been taken on Friday 31st August and results are expected on Tuesday 4th September at which stage the warning notices will be reviewed.

Lifeguards at Duncannon will fly red flags indicating swimming is prohibited. The lifeguard presence at Duncannon will be maintained.

The poor water quality results at these beaches is suspected to be linked to heavy rainfall earlier this week.

source :
    www.wexford.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Documentary featuring Scoil Mhuire,Coolcots,Wexford on RTE 1 now.

Celebrity Salon on TV3 just starting now ........at the Brandon House Hotel New Ross

The No Swim notices for Duncannon and Cullenstown beaches have been removed with effect from 4:00pm today, 5th September 2012

The No Swim notices for Duncannon and Cullenstown beaches have been removed with effect from 4:00pm today, 5th September 2012

Thats Great News! i shall be going down there tomorrow if the weather stays good :)

Copyof100_4323.jpg

A delighted Catherine O'Neill with her Silver Medal at her homecoming celebration tonight .

Copyof100_4684.jpg

Copyof100_4686.jpg

Copyof100_4690.jpg

• Advertisement

Photo Before : - August 2012
    CopyofNewRoss220812012-1.jpg

100_4700.jpg

Photo After : - November 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I did the Loftus Hall tour today and really enjoyed it, was fascinated by the place for years. Having been in the place now I definitely felt a horrible presence in the Tapestry Room and wouldnt spend a second alone in any room in the house but Im not sure what exactly happened there...was it that Anne Tottenham, bored and frustrated, was made pregnant by a passing stranger to the house and was then locked up to cover up the shame of an out of wedlock baby, a baby which was then killed and the mother locked away until death? Thats very possible and also that the priest who performed the exorcism could have been just dealing with a mad woman (mental illness was automatically posession in those days)..

And yet the place has lots of unexplained deaths....the statues of religious figures with the heads torn off, the scriptures clawed out..such activities point to a demonic haunting, not a spirit in torment, then you have the curse of nobody being able to make anything of the place for more than a few years....what do people of Wexford think of the truth behind the legend?

Always had a fascination with it too, but never actually been there.

However, when I was at the Ursuline Convent as a boarder, the nuns told us that Loftus Hall was where they went for their summer holiday, as it had a private beach and was big enough to house them all. I used to then doubt very much if it was haunted..ever and that this legend had just expanded into the ridiculous.

Later, I believe the house became a hotel and then came into new ownership later still. I have no idea how long it remained as a hotel and if many people stayed there. Maybe you have some info on this.

Do you know who now owns the house? The last I heard was that the lady owner was in a nursing home, but of course nobody has ever substantiated this.

Are these tours a new thing or have they been going on for a while?

I've passed Loftus Hall many times and have to say it is a magnificent building.

Who organizes the tours?

Thank you for sharing with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There are several Facebook pages for Loftus Hall but this one http://www.facebook.com/LoftusHook?ref=stream seems to be the official one and gives contact details.

Hi and thanks to all for that info, especially the FB link.

Fascinating place and yes I think I will go there during the Christmas period, listen to the carol singers and have a coffee. Sounds like a good place to take our visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Anyone else experiencing a scary amount of rain tonight? :(

Anyone else experiencing a scary amount of rain tonight? :(

Its been torrential here is South-West Wexford all day , but the good news is that when it stops at 6am in the morning , we should have no more rain until next Saturday .

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/New_Ross/long.html

Yes that's right, so not unduly concerned right now, but it has been horrendous all day.

Would have given anything to just jump in a helicopter and fly off to a sunny place. No point asking Bill Cullen if we can use his anymore, as believe his two helicopters have gone since his circumstances have changed so drastically!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Phew, that'll give me a chance to get my gutters cleared out. Frigging back yard is swamped!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great bit of spin put on the new Wexford library in today's Guardian: 'New Library drawing up to 1,000 a day'. Even if I believed that figure, which I don't, are we supposed to believe that there were legions of Wexford people who didn't use the old library and were patiently awaiting the new one to open? How many per day used the old, and more than adequate, facility? Minister Howlin said 'This building is worthy of the people of Wexford, it's a stunning piece of architecture, modern, arresting and functional.' Patronising little ****e.

Advertisement