Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Out (Pixar)

Options
  • 28-06-2015 5:30am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't find a thread on this, but am in the states at the moment and was lucky enough to see the new Pixar movie, Inside Out today. Hadn't seen an trailers so didn't know very much apart from the main premise where it's about the personified emotions inside a young girl's head.

It was great, a real return to form, not that their last few films were bad or anything but there was certainly a dip from what came before. It's very funny when it wants to be and like Toy Story 3 and Up it pulls very hard on the heart strings in places. Be sure to give it a look whenever it comes out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not out until late July here I think, heard nothing but great things about it so far though and critics have given it very positive reviews

Nearly a month delay in release dates between US and Europe. Then they wonder why people pirate ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Saw there was a version on the streaming app I use, going to wait and bring the kids to see it at the cinema though, really looking forward to it, they want to see the minions film, but they'll be persuaded! 24th July is release date here and UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Nearly a month delay in release dates between US and Europe. Then they wonder why people pirate ...

I disagree. If this was awards season, then yes, people might download a DVD screener rather than wait for the theatrical release. But the types of people that download very bad quality camera recordings are the type of people that simply don't want to pay to see a film.

I disagree. If this was awards season, then yes, people might download a DVD screener rather than wait for the theatrical release. But the types of people that download very bad quality camera recordings are the type of people that simply don't want to pay to see a film.

This.

There are some exceptions besides awards screeners though, look at John Wick, there was a full Bluray quality release about a month before it finally released in Irish cinemas

• Advertisement

This.

There are some exceptions besides awards screeners though, look at John Wick, there was a full Bluray quality release about a month before it finally released in Irish cinemas

With a film like John Wick you have to understand that in the grand scheme of things it was a rather low budget film that simply didn't have the resources for a simultaneous world wide release. I imagine that a lot of the advertising materials were reused for the release outside the US.

As for Inside Out, well Pixar and Disney have a history of staggering the release of their films outside the US. Now it has improved in recent years and a 7 week wait isn't bad at all considering that in the past it was possible to order the US DVD of many Pixar films around the same time as they hit cinemas here. I'm excited as hell to see Inside Out and going to a screening with the film-makers next month and the thought of watching a cam rip of it is just alien to me. I can't see how anyone would enjoy watching any film in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Just watched the trailer on You Tube........ looks fantastic. Its being pretty hyped up on IMDB at the minute, getting a lot of praise.
    Now it has improved in recent years and a 7 week wait isn't bad at all considering that in the past it was possible to order the US DVD of many Pixar films around the same time as they hit cinemas here.

Yea the release dates for the European markets have improved a lot in the past few years. I remember being in Australia back in 99 and seeing Toy story 2 a whole 2 months before it was released in Ireland.

This was shown in Odeon cinemas all over the country on Monday night as part of their Screen Unseen series. I'm gutted I missed it. So far the series has featured Nightcrawler, Whiplash, Selma, It Follows and Inside Out. On average they're shown 23 days before general release. Whiplash was shown 46 days before it opened! I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this in future. Good old Odeon! Bringing world class cinema to the Midlands since…. January.

This was shown in Odeon cinemas all over the country on Monday night as part of their Screen Unseen series. I'm gutted I missed it. So far the series has featured Nightcrawler, Whiplash, Selma, It Follows and Inside Out. On average they're shown 23 days before general release. Whiplash was shown 46 days before it opened! I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this in future. Good old Odeon! Bringing world class cinema to the Midlands since…. January.

Well hello, Odeon sales rep.

Well hello, Odeon sales rep.

Ha, I'm actually more of an underserved cinephile living in the schticks. I guess the more people that know about this thing the better. I'm happy repping for Odeon if it means actually having something to watch in my local flea pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has done well in US despite going against Jurassic World

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

saw this last night, very good, creative. Might not be as kid friendly as their normal fare though, not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's nothing for Pixar... think most of their other movies were 3 - 6 months delay between US and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

It looks like pixar are going to back on form with this one as well. There last great movie was arguably Toy Story 3

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

My daughter can't wait to see this since she saw the trailer when we went to see minions. Release dates might not be as staggered as in the past but still enough that impatience is setting in with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This wait is nothing; Shaun the Sheep The Movie doesn't hit US cinemas until August.

I'm really excited for this. I've been sympathetic towards recent Pixar fare (probably because I haven't been able to set aside my inner fanboy) but there's no doubt that the studio hasn't been at its best in some time. By all accounts this is a real return to form. I hope the momentum continues with The Good Dinosaur later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Really want to see this, but as an 23 year old male without kids, I feel I'll be unfairly judged, going to see a kids film by myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

just take a pad and pen and pretend your a film critic if your that self conscious lol

Really want to see this, but as an 23 year old male without kids, I feel I'll be unfairly judged, going to see a kids film by myself!

Judged by who? Parents and their children? God some people are way too self conscious lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Keep thinking about this movie since I saw it on Wednesday.

It's just so creative, original and unique. Their most original and creative since Wall-E (and before).

And it is such a Ballsy movie for Pixar to make, one that only they could probably get away with, at least among the big players of the animated world.

Can't wait to get to see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I saw this at the |Galway Film Fleadh last week. I'm a real Pixar fan. My kids are grown now but we still go to see every one (except Cars 2).

I absolutely loved this, it is so clever. When it goes on general release (next week I think), I'll be the first in line as I'm dying to see it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If you're near Dublin go see it in The Lighthouse, an arthouse/independent cinema so it tends to attract a more adult audience.

Trailer for this came on in the cinema and it was all adults and even the people who were talking during previous trailers were silent or laughing along with everyone else during this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm a 22 year old male and I'll be seeing this solo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The only "kids" film I remember seeing recently that had a conspicuously large audience of children was Paddington, and that was a Sunday matinée showing; most evening showings of kids movies tend to attract an adult audience, its perfectly natural and normal. Hell I saw Minions in the evening time and the vast majority of the audience were adults

Trailer for this came on in the cinema and it was all adults and even the people who were talking during previous trailers were silent or laughing along with everyone else during this.
    Saw 2 movies in the Lighthouse today (Salt of the Earth and Song of the Sea) and this trailer played before both. First movie had entirely adults at it and there was loads of laughter during the trailer, plenty more kids at Song of the Sea and there was nary a response to it at that. Interesting, might say something about who gets the most out of Pixar's movies. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

**** you Pixar and **** you inside out. Making me feel emotions and ****. They weren't tears, they were... manly tears about man stuff.

The movie is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Easily the best Pixar film since Toy Story 3. It's a great film, but - and this is testament to the studio's overall quality more than anything else - I'm not sure what level of greatness that is :pac:

It's a brilliant, accessible concept brought to life with clarity and energy. Pixar films have always worn their emotions on their sleeve, so it's incredibly fitting that they've literalised it. There is lots of giddy visual playfulness, including probably the most surprising and delightful stylistic tangent in their studio's history (y'know the one when you see it!). It take a universal coming of age story and dives deep into its prime emotional beats to make it seem both fresh and lovingly familiar at the same time. It's easily digestable for all ages without foregoing all depth or subtlety (while a lot of stuff is spelled out, happily just as much isn't). It manages to take complex concepts and make them as accessible and cinematic as one could imagine - simplifying them in some cases, but surprisingly not in others. It has great gags, both once-offs and running ones, that fit perfectly with the overall concepts (bar a jarringly clunky Chinatown reference). Michael Giacchino scores it all with a lively, impressive soundtrack that nonetheless doesn't lazily prop up with a story quite high on the sentimentality already.

I'm struggling to articulate why, despite all that loveliness, there was a tiny little something missing. While the middle section of the film features lots of wonderful sections, it also feels like a lot of good ideas in search of a more coherent implementation. It feels like a lot of neat standalone setpieces, as opposed to one single journey. Docter and his team compartmentalise a lot of ideas without letting them mix with each other, perhaps. And while the ideas are reliably imaginative, some of them are more effectively implemented than others. Also: it's easily excused given the very idea of the film, some of the heartstring tugging is as blatant as can be - again, pretty much an inevitable observation when one of the characters is called Sadness!

But then towards the ending particularly it's clear this is a film comfortable with a range of emotions, so despite the sentimentality the very story reflects that something can be joyous and sad and infuriating and more (much more) at the very same time. And there's no doubting it's a joy to watch (Joy is also a joy, one of the most likable of all Pixar protagonists). It is a film that is simple enough for the youngest child to enjoy and offers enough complexity to surprise their parents. It takes the most basic of human emotions and reflects on their glorious messiness. And it manages to fit in a scene that visualises the
    abstract thought process
    , where if you only saw the screen for those few minutes you'd be forgiven for thinking you're watching some sort of weird art film. After a few iffy Pixar sequels, all is right in the world again.

It's not just that this is another great, fun and touching Pixar movie, it's honestly one of the most subversive, crafty and brilliant family films I've seen in years.

Sure Up and Toy Story 3 have those amazing emotional scenes, but what blew me away with this was how emotionally mature and sophisticated it was with its focus on a young person's everyday struggles. I have not even felt for a Pixar character as much as Riley when she
    opened up in front of her whole class and confessed to her parents at the end.
    Those scenes are made with a realness and bluntness that I did not expect from Pixar in a million years. The sense of how major everything is at that age and the worries of things you loved before slipping away hit home with me so much. It's so incredibly refreshing for what is ostensibly a kid's film to acknowledge that the ups and downs of life are as valid, important and weighty as escapism and flights of fantasy. In a world of empty "don't worry, be happy all the time!" children's fare its very humbling and reassuring for a film of this caliber to just say "It's okay."

What a beautiful, poignant, deeply wonderful movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I really hope you're joking and you don't mean that. That is insane to even think something like this.........go see it and forget about what you might think others think of you.
    I went to see it yesterday and normally I don't buy into the animated film thing but something about this movie drew me in. And it was brilliant. Beautiful to look at but wow, talk about getting hit in the feels. Genuinely moving and funny.

Advertisement