Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭naughto

House of cards and Lilley hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    lillehammer first 2 seasons are really good, season 3 was cr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Black Mirror is fantastic, although there are a couple of episodes that are hit and miss. Each episode is a stand alone story so there's no big commitment getting into it and there's not that many anyway so you'll fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I thought Lillyhammer was like Killinascully in Norway...terrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

markfla wrote: »
    I thought Lillyhammer was like Killinascully in Norway...terrible

i second that. within three episodes of watching it, the lead had had a baby or something. i thought it was daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Roquentin wrote: »
    i second that. within three episodes of watching it, the lead had had a baby or something. i thought it was daft

yup, I cant see what's so good about lillehammer, I gave it 5 episodes before throwing in the towel.

From Dusk till dawn is actually ok (surprisingly), the guy playing george clooneys part does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

finally bothered to check out the american netflix.

well ill be damned!!!..thats my midterm break sorted :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Ageyev wrote: »
    I am looking for a new TV series to start. Any recommendations out of the following?

Arne Dahl
    Broadchurch
    Wentworth Prison
    Top of the Lake
    SLK
    White Collar
    Suits
    Bates Motel
    House of Cards (UK)
    From Dusk till Dawn
    Jack Taylor
    Black Mirror
    Rake
    American Horror Story
    The Fixer
    Lilyhammer

Broadchurch gets my vote from that list. Have just started watching Rake - promising so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Broadchurch, Suits or Black Mirror should all be watched.......straight after House of Cards!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Raf32 wrote: »
    Broadchurch, Suits or Black Mirror should all be watched.......straight after House of Cards!

Suits is alright for a while but it gets very repetitive after a series or so.

• Advertisement

anyone know why the "add to list" isnt there on the american netflix? theres so many movies i know ill forget to ever watch if theyre not on that list </3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Suits is alright for a while but it gets very repetitive after a series or so.

My recommendation to anyone watching suits is to pretend that the last episode of season 3 is the last one ever made, and then move on with your life. Up to that it was great, but season 4 just grated on my nerves.

suits is like CSI miami with lawyers. same mechanics every episode

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My recommendation to anyone watching suits is to pretend that the last episode of season 3 is the last one ever made, and then move on with your life. Up to that it was great, but season 4 just grated on my nerves.

I can't even remember if I made it that far. I did love it initially but at some point I just stopped.
    Roquentin wrote: »
    suits is like CSI miami with lawyers. same mechanics every episode

And they're barely likable as people too.

I can't even remember if I made it that far. I did love it initially but at some point I just stopped.

And they're barely likable as people too.

i went about 4 epsiodes into series 1 and saw the pattern. was let down. thought it would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

MarkY91 wrote: »
    anyone know why the "add to list" isnt there on the american netflix? theres so many movies i know ill forget to ever watch if theyre not on that list </3

The 'My List' feature only appears on the region your account is registered in so when you go on holiday to America and access Netflix with your Ireland registered account (for example) your 'List' does not appear.

Other options include playing a few mins of a title so it appears in your recently watched or you could set a user rating of a title and it may then influence the 'top picks for user' algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ageyev wrote: »
    I am looking for a new TV series to start. Any recommendations out of the following?

Arne Dahl
    Broadchurch
    Wentworth Prison
    Top of the Lake
    SLK
    White Collar
    Suits
    Bates Motel
    House of Cards (UK)
    From Dusk till Dawn
    Jack Taylor
    Black Mirror
    Rake
    American Horror Story
    The Fixer
    Lilyhammer

American Horror Story - first two seasons are excellent, especially the second one. The third one was a major let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just spotted Labyrinth on US Netflix, how long is that there? I've been looking for it for ages.

Anyone watch it recently, how is it for a 5 year old ? I don't remember it being particularly scary but I was obviously a lot older when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just spotted Labyrinth on US Netflix, how long is that there? I've been looking for it for ages.

Anyone watch it recently, how is it for a 5 year old ? I don't remember it being particularly scary but I was obviously a lot older when it came out.

Quite scary for 5 year old. If my kids are anything to go by. Not terrifying but there was a few scenes they weren't keen on at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Although she has a fondness for scary things, she's always asking for scary stuff. She watched a load of episodes of Goosebumps one day and loved it. Anyway, the subject of a baby brother getting kidnapped may disturb her more so than anything given she has one of her own whom she idolises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭deisedude

Surprised with all the hate for Lillyhammer. Its nothing groundbreaking but i think its a decent comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I watched the Warriors on Irish Netflix. The acting was crap, the fighting was very fake, they beat up a gang of girls and they spent half the movie running away instead of being Warriors.

I really have no idea why i thought it was brilliant, but it was. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I watched the Warriors on Irish Netflix. The acting was crap, the fighting was very fake, they beat up a gang of girls and they spent half the movie running away instead of being Warriors.

I really have no idea why i thought it was brilliant, but it was. :D

Cult classic for many and a classic in my eyes. So cheesy but cool as feck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Really stating to get annoyed now by stuff getting removed or rotated out , added Forest Gump of all things to my list last week with a view to watching it tonight and it's now gone :mad:

Just spotted Go there while I was scratching my head for films I haven't seen in ages and it came up so I'll 'go' with that :pac: Remember enjoying that one in the cinema.

Edit: Wow just started Go and looks like they sourced the copy from transfer from a well used cinema reel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Random Acts Of Violence on US Netflix last night, it was really good. One of not many films to use the documentary/found footage approach effectively, with some great dark humour along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Watched a movie about Amanda Knox on US Netflix. Never seen it before and is was a quite unbiased version of what went on over there. Worth a watch. Chick from Heroes is in it.

Funny how I went onto US Netflix to find a new TV series to get into. Five hours later, I leave my room after watching a documentary on North Korea, Hispanic gangs in LA and 3 episodes of humans: the story of all of us.

Who said tv is a waste of time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

calex71 wrote: »
    Really stating to get annoyed now by stuff getting removed or rotated out , added Forest Gump of all things to my list last week with a view to watching it tonight and it's now gone :mad:

Just spotted Go there while I was scratching my head for films I haven't seen in ages and it came up so I'll 'go' with that :pac: Remember enjoying that one in the cinema.

Edit: Wow just started Go and looks like they sourced the copy from transfer from a well used cinema reel

Yeah stuff disappearing really pisses me and others off.

And yeah, some titles I guess are from digital copies made for early DVDs. I came across a film recently that still had reel markers/cigarette burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Making my way through Battlestar Galatica now, enjoying it so far, addictive series. I'm on the second season at the moment but dose anyone know when it will be due to expire Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Making my way through Battlestar Galatica now, enjoying it so far, addictive series. I'm on the second season at the moment but dose anyone know when it will be due to expire Thanks.

fantastic show; even for those who wouldn't usually enjoy sci-fi

last season was a little disappointing however

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement