Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thursday 21st April
    Stupid rest day today, so no running. But looks like a great day out there :(...
    Session of foam roller and stretching last night to keep thing in order. Going to make sure that I get this done most days from now on.

Friday 22nd April
    6 miles very easy, needed to stop twice to slow myself down.

Sat 23nd April

Nice 6 miles today pace felt easy again but the legs wanted to go faster. Had a bit of a fall after cliping a kerb after 800m but my ninja training came in handy to turn it into a forward roll. Perfect 10 for style....

Sunday 24th April

10 miles of totally uncontrolled mad running today. Just couldnt run slow for any long section of this run. Legs a little to fresh ended up stopping twice to stretch just to slow down. I knew it would catch up come mile 9/10 but still didnt feel bad.

Monday 25th April
    6 miles today but just felt to good. Found it very hard to keep the pace down and the longer the run went the better I felt. Needed to stop and stretch @ 4 miles just to slow down.

Tuesday 26th April
    7 miles with 4 mils @ 10mille/pace. Again the legs just didnt want to slow down, had company on today run which made it a lot easier. First mile warm up was easy then 4 miles tempo.
    Pace just got faster and faster but felt really easy talking all the way and was suprised with the pace for the last 2 miles. Havent felt this good in a long time. Found it hard to take the pace down for the 2 mile warm down. But a very enjoyable run.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

You seem to be flying at the moment, well done. You interested in doing the Walkinstown 5 ?? Maybe use it as a tempo run, if you dont wanna race it?. Are you around this Saturday for the RTE 5 ?

foleyalan wrote: »
    You seem to be flying at the moment, well done. You interested in doing the Walkinstown 5 ?? Maybe use it as a tempo run, if you dont wanna race it?. Are you around this Saturday for the RTE 5 ?
    Not going too bad at the momnet, but long long way to go. Won't be doing any racesl for anohter 5 weeks. Will do the lucan 5k on the 22nd and then Dunboyne 5mile on the 31st.

Wed 27nd April
    6 miles easy today. kept the pace really easy today and walked a couple of times when I was starting to speed up. Realy nice evening for running tonight perfect conditions.

Rest day tomorrow so a date with the foam roller tonight.

Thursday 28th April
    Rest day today, had a nice s&m session with the form roller last night and some stretching. Going to make sure I keep this up when I'm not injured as consistency is the key over the next few months. I know I can run alot faster then I have if I stay injury free and cut out the burgers.

• Advertisement

Friday 29th April
    8 miles easy today, Felt like I was running for hours today for some reason. Took it really handy and mixed up my usual route a bit, going to start running in a few more location to keep things fresh.

Sat 30th April
    6 miles handy today, weather was great and the run was even better.

Sunday 1st May
    This long run turned out to be a bit of a drama, after keeping away from the boozer on sat night even with the text coming in from the beer devil. I only had a small window to get the run down , but managed to sleep in and the window closed very quick.

Rest of the day was spent up in wicklow and totally shattered when getting home about 7:30 but managed to get changed and out the door.

Plan was for an easy 12 miles but after 4 mile the head was gone, had decided that I was just going to make it back to the car and do a long one tomorrow. With that from nowhere theroadrunner appeared and delivered a swift kick to the ass and off I went again. Managed to drag myself around the rest of the run and got the 12 miles done in the end.

So if anyone has a bad run fear not as theRoadrunner appears to be hanging around parks (late at night )to help suffering runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It's true I'm a regular fixture in Dublin parks at dusk. The look on your face when I ninjaed you was priceless. Like a kid caught on the hop from school

It's true I'm a regular fixture in Dublin parks at dusk. The look on your face when I ninjaed you was priceless. Like a kid caught on the hop from school
    Yep getting caught giving up on a long run wasn't something I was expecting last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Just goes to show it really helps having someone to run with.I remember few years ago meeting a fellow runner at 11pm,was very funny.

• Advertisement

Just goes to show it really helps having someone to run with.I remember few years ago meeting a fellow runner at 11pm,was very funny.

Yep it helps big time .

Monday 2nd May
    6 mile recovery run today, kept the pace really really easy.

Tuesday 3rd May
    8 miles easy after work today, felt a little tired on today run but the legs were speeding up at the end.

Wed 4th May

7 miles with 4 miles tempo.
    Have been a little tired since Sunday so didn't really know how this run was going to go, but once I started the warm up things were feeling good. Did 1.5 mile warmup and then 4 mile tempo with 1.5 mile warm down. Found it really hard to slow down again today and pace was a good bit quicker then planned. I had expected to slow over the last mile but felt stronger and stronger.

Will need to slow the pace down a little in furture as I don't need to be running fast yet!

7 miles total @ 8:20 average.

Thursday 5th May
    Would usually take today off but had the option of some company for a run so decided to take tomorrow off. Pace was a bit quick for my tired legs today and paid the price for running too fast yesterday.

Rest day tomorrow which is needed as I've run the last 7 days.

6 miles @ 8:05

• Advertisement

Friday 6th May
    Rest day today, nice session with form roller and stretching last night. Legs are feel good but I'll need to listen a bit more in regards pacing of runs for the next few week, and force myself to run slow even when feeling good.

Sat 7th May
    7 miles really easy this evening in the sun and rain. Nipples are in bit tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

shels4ever wrote: »
    Sat 7th May
    7 miles really easy this evening in the sun and rain. Nipples are in bit tonight.

Are you still coming along tomorrow shels?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you still coming along tomorrow shels?

yep will be there at 9am :)

Sunday 8th May
    Met up with the crew from here for the long run today, was a bit late waking up so needed to skip the usual feed. Todays run was a bit of a slow legs were fairly tired most the way run but not too bad, found the last 2.5 miles a little hard but enjoyable.

14 miles @9:30

Monday 9th May
    Handy 6 mile recovery jog today, legs feeling a little tired and took almost 5 miles to get into this run.

Tuesday 10th May
    8 mile steady run @ 8:30 pace had company for today run which was great and very happy that I managed to keep the pace controled with no crazy fast miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sunday 8th May
    Met up with the crew from here for the long run today, was a bit late waking up so needed to skip the usual feed. Todays run was a bit of a slow legs were fairly tired most the way run but not too bad, found the last 2.5 miles a little hard but enjoyable.

14 miles @9:30

Nice to meet you on Sunday there! Just wanted to say thanks for coming back and getting me up that hill, I was definitely looking for excuses that I would have found on my own! :o

claralara wrote: »
    Nice to meet you on Sunday there! Just wanted to say thanks for coming back and getting me up that hill, I was definitely looking for excuses that I would have found on my own! :o
    Nice to meet you too, No problem at all, I think your better on those hill then you told us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Seems like you are making good progress now.any races planned?
    Also noticed you seem to run alot faster with company!!!

• Advertisement

Seems like you are making good progress now.any races planned?
    Also noticed you seem to run alot faster with company!!!
    Things are going well at the moment injury free and getting consistant weeks in so happy so far, but still almost 20 week of running to come.

Will jump into a 5miler in a couple of week but wont be racing full out will be more of a paced tempo to see how I'm going. Have a plan in mind for it now. Was going to do a 5k the week before but don't trust myself not to go all out in that so might skip it.

Yep have been running better with others mostly because the people I run with are faster so that helps, but its come about when some of the runs on my own have been speeding up too.

Wed 11th September
    7 miles @ just under 8:40 pace. Met up with theRoadrunner for a few easy miles today, legs were feeling good again , Did feel a little tired come the last mile but thats just because of the miles in the legs the last few weeks. Rest day tomorrow but think i'll get out for a nice walk at some point to keep the legs moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Wed 11th September
    Rest day tomorrow but think i'll get out for a nice walk at some point to keep the legs moving.

and an ice cream ;)

and an ice cream ;)

Can I have a 99?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Going well my man. Well done. On my second week back now, calf injuries are difficult as you well know :rolleyes:

Hoping to test the fitness at the BHAA in Dunboyne, you heading? Beach race might be a bit soon.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Going well my man. Well done. On my second week back now, calf injuries are difficult as you well know :rolleyes:

Hoping to test the fitness at the BHAA in Dunboyne, you heading? Beach race might be a bit soon.
    Yep think I will be running Dunboyne but not as a flat out race will be using it as a tempo run to see how I'm going.

Take care with the calf better to have a few extra weeks easy running than racing too soon, and I think the beach race wouldnt be the best one to come back to, jsut puts a bit too much pressure on the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Yep think I will be running Dunboyne but not as a flat out race will be using it as a tempo run to see how I'm going.

Take care with the calf better to have a few extra weeks easy running than racing too soon, and I think the beach race wouldnt be the best one to come back to, jsut puts a bit too much pressure on the calf.

I hear ya!

Thursday 12th May
    Rest day today, so just the usual s&m session with the foam roller last night, Legs are feeling really good at the moment even with the increased miles.
    Tiny bit stiff in my left hip but just needed to stretch it out... Really fancied going for a run today too but sticking to plan.

friday 13th May
    7 mile today @ 8:35 pace legs were a little tired to start but the longer the run went the better I felt. Had to try to slow down over the last few miles as I was starting to run a bit to fast.
    The grass is nice and soft again after a few days rain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The grass is nice and soft again after a few days rain :)

I wish it would rain here. The grass is rock hard, hasn't rained properly since March :rolleyes:

Have you nailed down any target for Berlin yet?

I wish it would rain here. The grass is rock hard, hasn't rained properly since March :rolleyes:

Have you nailed down any target for Berlin yet?
    Not setting any time goals for the Marathon at all, Just going to focus on the training for now then let the race take care of itself. Will decided on a pace plan closer to the race. But safe to say it will be somewhere between 2:59 -3:59.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Not setting any time goals for the Marathon at all, Just going to focus on the training for now then let the race take care of itself. Will decided on a pace plan closer to the race. But safe to say it will be somewhere between 2:59 -3:59.

Sensible approach yeah. It's sneaking up on us now, 19 weeks from sunday :eek:. Finding a well timed half 5-7 weeks beforehand is proving quite the chore.

Sensible approach yeah. It's sneaking up on us now, 19 weeks from sunday :eek:. Finding a well timed half 5-7 weeks beforehand is proving quite the chore.

Yep it really is, only another 5/6 weeks left before the marathon plan will start. No half at all seems to fit in so might be just the 10 miler for me. Then a Half on my own at some point.

. But safe to say it will be somewhere between 2:59 -3:59.

More like 3:30 - 4:30 !!!!!!:D

foleyalan wrote: »
    More like 3:30 - 4:30 !!!!!!:D
    Thats your Marathon times not mine ;)
    03:30:41

• Advertisement

Sat 14th May
    6 miles easy revobery run , legs were a little stiff and tired mostly because I was working in the house all morning.

Sunday 15th May
    Nice 15 miler today , mixed up the surface a bit today just for a bit of balance with 9 miles on the grass and 6 miles on the road. Felt great for the whole run today and had to hold back over the last few miles. The prodigy arent really great for long runs....

15 miles @ 9:35 pace.
    Longest run since 2009 and first time ever in the 50 mile weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sunday 15th May
    Nice 15 miler today , mixed up the surface a bit today just for a bit of balance with 9 miles on the grass and 6 miles on the road. Felt great for the whole run today and had to hold back over the last few miles. The prodigy arent really great for long runs....

That's excellent man, delighted to see you going so well.

Woddle wrote: »
    That's excellent man, delighted to see you going so well.

Not going too bad, been building it up slowly over the moments, but 19 weeks more to go so once I can stay injury free i'll be happy.

Nice running yourself today.

Sunday 15th May

Great running Mark, you around Saturday for a run at all?

• Advertisement
Advertisement