Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your religion and why is it the right one?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    Very well - observable to be true by anyone capable of observing it - in terms of nature, equipment, location, direction, timing, all the rest.
    Exactly.
    Compare and contrast. Your belief may be a fact, but since the evidence is only subjective, and indeed is available uniquely to you, it remains absolutely impossible to prove it a fact. You might be right, you might not.
    Quite so.
    Since you are using your experience as a guide to the existence and nature of an external entity, we would require somewhat more than just your say-so.
    Absolutely.
    Indeed, we cannot say for sure that your experience is not correct. We can definitely say that your claim that is objective fact is entirely unwarranted, despite your belief - indeed, something less like an objective fact it would be hard to find.
    Definition of objective:
    5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
    8. of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

The sky is blue, the apple is red, etc. - all objective facts, even though some cannot perceive that. So what you can rightly say is that what I claim to be an objective fact may or may not be the case.

The problem is that you want to define objective fact as one that everyone can perceive. Is that the standard definition?
    We can therefore also say that we would like to see some form of proof, or some form of corroboration, before we accept it as anything more than your entirely personal subjective truth. Your experience of God, as I said, proves nothing but that you, personally, believe you have experienced God.
    What is subjective may also be objective, No? What one holds to be so may be imagination, or it may be reality. It was not my claim here that my beliefs about God are true, but that bluewolf was wrong when he said It's your belief in god, wolfsbane, not a fact. Trying to pretend otherwise isn't going to make it any more true. He was claiming to know that it wasn't a fact. All he really knows is that he does know for sure either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Definition of objective:
    5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
    8. of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

The sky is blue, the apple is red, etc. - all objective facts, even though some cannot perceive that. So what you can rightly say is that what I claim to be an objective fact may or may not be the case.

The problem is that you want to define objective fact as one that everyone can perceive. Is that the standard definition?

The definition of an "objective fact" I would use would be "one that everyone could perceive" - assuming necessary equipment, etc.

We can never move beyond your statement of belief, because to be able to perceive your experience, the second observer would also have to be you. Therefore we certainly cannot ever say that your experience of God is "existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality", can we?

In turn, therefore, we will never know that the experience is "not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice".
    wolfsbane wrote:
    What is subjective may also be objective, No? What one holds to be so may be imagination, or it may be reality. It was not my claim here that my beliefs about God are true, but that bluewolf was wrong when he said It's your belief in god, wolfsbane, not a fact. Trying to pretend otherwise isn't going to make it any more true. He was claiming to know that it wasn't a fact. All he really knows is that he does know for sure either way.

No, he was pointing out that you cannot claim it to be anything more than a belief. You believe that it is a fact, but that, again, is only your belief. It is non-replicable, and therefore can never be found anything other than subjective.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw said:
    We can never move beyond your statement of belief, because to be able to perceive your experience, the second observer would also have to be you. Therefore we certainly cannot ever say that your experience of God is "existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality", can we?
    God either exists or He doesn't. My belief in Him doesn't alter that. So another person may well know Him. To return to the sky and the blind man - if lots of blind folk told me that the idea that the sky was blue was only a belief, not a fact, would they be right? Would a second observer would also have to be me for them to see the blue sky? No, just have seeing eyes.
    In turn, therefore, we will never know that the experience is "not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice".
    Not while you remain in your blindness:
    2 Corinthians 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
    No, he was pointing out that you cannot claim it to be anything more than a belief. You believe that it is a fact, but that, again, is only your belief. It is non-replicable, and therefore can never be found anything other than subjective
    Millions have replicated it. I live with two of them; I worshipped with about 200 of them this morning.

wolfsbane wrote:
    God either exists or He doesn't. My belief in Him doesn't alter that. So another person may well know Him. To return to the sky and the blind man - if lots of blind folk told me that the idea that the sky was blue was only a belief, not a fact, would they be right? Would a second observer would also have to be me for them to see the blue sky? No, just have seeing eyes.

It can also be measured instrumentally. We can also eliminate certain forms of cultural bias by noting that people worldwide agree that it is blue.

However, we cannot use your 'experience' of the sky's 'blueness'. Aside from anything else, we cannot, as the old philosophical chestnut tells us, determine whether what appears blue to you would appear green to me or not. That is the bit that is subjective. There is no evidence, for example, that the God you have experienced is not the Devil instead.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Not while you remain in your blindness:
    2 Corinthians 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Yes, yes. We consider each other blinded fools. Noted and agreed.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Millions have replicated it. I live with two of them; I worshipped with about 200 of them this morning.

And billions have not. If the history of religion tells us anything, it is that people's expereince of God is effectively unique - indeed, I believe that a "personal relationship with God" is one of the selling points of your package...

You may all accept the pro-forma outline of deity from the bible, but your experience remains subjective. The experience of the next million is also subjective, and, I think you'd find if you enquired, not identical. That suggests that all you share is the type of mind that likes to make concrete and personal the sacred.

cordially,
    as ever,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw said:
    However, we cannot use your 'experience' of the sky's 'blueness'. Aside from anything else, we cannot, as the old philosophical chestnut tells us, determine whether what appears blue to you would appear green to me or not. That is the bit that is subjective. There is no evidence, for example, that the God you have experienced is not the Devil instead.
    All you are saying is that I may be mistaken about the reality I claim to see. All I am saying is that bluewolf cannot say it is not a fact. He can only rightly say, as an outsider, that it may not be a fact. As one who is on the inside, I see and am persuaded.

As indicated on another thread, I'm afraid I won't be able to post anymore until the holidays - due to pressure of work. If anyone wants to PM me, I'll be keeping an eye on that.

All the very best, my friends.

wolfsbane wrote:
    All you are saying is that I may be mistaken about the reality I claim to see. All I am saying is that bluewolf cannot say it is not a fact. He can only rightly say, as an outsider, that it may not be a fact. As one who is on the inside, I see and am persuaded.

Which is the very hallmark of a subjective experience. What you are actually claiming is that you may have experienced something (God) that is factually real, and that your experience itself is factually real.

The latter is less arguable, but cannot, in any event, lead to a claim about the former. You have had a real experience, and it may well even have been measurable....however it is not a 'fact' that you experienced God, whether you did or not.

If you claimed to have experienced a great joy at the playing of Bach, that is not a fact either - it is a subjective perception, entirely without meaning outside you yourself. It tells us nothing about Bach, except that you like it.

Even worse, if you were to claim to have 'experienced' music - what would we make of this? Clearly, it is not a fact - whether you did experience the music or only thought you experienced it is irrelevant, as long as the music could not be observed by a separate observer.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As indicated on another thread, I'm afraid I won't be able to post anymore until the holidays - due to pressure of work. If anyone wants to PM me, I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Best of luck!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

Wah, I'm female.

And if you agree that "I think it's a fact but someone else may not agree and we can't prove it beyond doubt" then it's subjective, not objective
    which means it's not a fact, it's a belief or an experience
    Saying that it's a belief doesn't mean you're absolutely wrong, it just means it's not a fact if/until someone can prove to everyone properly that it is

Advertisement