Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

7 days or 7 billion years?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If we're descended from apes then how come we don't build our houses in trees? Can someone please just answer that question for me?

The birds kicked us out. Damn birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe I am wrong about the species/imagination front, I guess it it hard to tell.
    Don't cod yourself, belief in nonsense drags you further back down towards the animals.

Codswallop. Believing in nonsense makes the world more interesting. Ever wonder why so many species, especially humans love to trip?

Twin-go wrote: »
    Being superstitious I think involves less imagination. It is looking for the easy answer to things. It takes a lot more to work out how we actually got here by using science than thinking it was all created by a God figure.

Those type of people who blindly believe things without question, only because it was what they were taught at school and their communities, I agree have no imagination.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If we're descended from apes then how come we don't build our houses in trees? Can someone please just answer that question for me?

Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it
    The Maniacs! They blew it up! Ah, damn them! God damn them all to hell.

(slight edit! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

WindSock wrote: »
    We build them from trees

Bricks are made from trees now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bricks are made from trees now?

Yup! conkerete! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

humanji wrote: »
    It's not fact, it's a theory.
    www.notjustatheory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Also... if we're descended from Apes...Why do we still have apes????

And another thing; if man came out of the ocean billions of years ago...how come apes don't live in the water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Smart Bug wrote: »
    What's your view on life on earth & how it got here...

That was in the OP. I think its safe to say the thread has strayed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

TheTubes wrote: »
    That doesn't make it fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Not all Apes live in trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We're not descendant from any particular species of ape, the apes of today and humans had one common ancestor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

for the second time, google "evolution is both a fact and a theory"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

we're not decended from apes. we share a common ancestor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I find myself asking, why is this even on AH? This is supposed to be a fun and light-hearted forum, is it not? People are taking this issue way too seriously. In all fairness, we should be making fun of both positions, not trying to prove which is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Evolution now means survival of the fattest.

I went for the Rastafarian option.

bleg wrote: »
    for the second time, google "evolution is both a fact and a theory"

If you can prove that it's 100% fact then there are a whole load of evolutionary biologists who would like you to explain it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Animals have been observed to adapt gradually over generations. The best explanation for this observable fact is what we call evolution. There might be some small details of the theory that are not totally accurate, such as how the theory was updated because Darwin's original theory didn't take account of genes, but the fact remains that animals have been observed to adapt over generations and all of the evidence says that they do it by the process of natural selection.

Why do we need a new flu vaccine every year? That's right, evolution :P

As has been suggested, google evolution is both a theory and a fact

• Advertisement

we're not decended from apes. we share a common ancestor.

And did he live in the sea?
    Sam Vimes wrote: »

So you admit it's a bad thing. This is what happens when we listen to scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The poll could have been much much more clear.

One can believe in Evolution, and Old Age Creationism at the same time. It's dishonest to say that it is Evolution vs the rest. Many of the others incorporate evolution.

Could have been an honest mistake mind :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Animals have been observed to adapt gradually over generations. The best explanation for this observable fact is what we call evolution. There might be some small details of the theory that are not totally accurate, such as how the theory was updated because Darwin's original theory didn't take account of genes, but the fact remains that animals have been observed to adapt over generations and all of the evidence says that they do it by the process of natural selection.

As has been suggested, google evolution is both a theory and a fact
    Don't get my wrong, I believe in evolution. I just know that it hasn't been proven. As you say, there are holes in it. Claiming it's fact simply because scientist use different definitions of the wor "fact" is bullsh*t. It's still the most obvious and likely explanation.

Twilightning stated that it was fact and that you can't believe in a fact. Well, unless you're an Empiricist, I suppose.

Jakkass wrote: »
    The poll could have been much much more clear.

One can believe in Evolution, and Old Age Creationism at the same time. It's dishonest to say that it is Evolution vs the rest. Many of the others incorporate evolution.

Could have been an honest mistake mind :)
    I think he was going for a lighthearted joke thread, but it backfired. :D

Though I am interested to know who voted for "Other" and what that other is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

bluto63 wrote: »
    While I believe in Evolution, it doesn't fully explain what we're doing here.

Who says we're here to do anything?

Why do people have this definite belief that life must have a meaning or an end goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The poll is a trick question as the only theory there is Evolution. A theory is something that explains a set of phenomena. The religious "theories" explain nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

iregk wrote: »
    Who says we're here to do anything?

Why do people have this definite belief that life must have a meaning or an end goal?

Why do people have this definite belief that life doesn't have any meaning at all and that we are here for absolutely nothing at all?

I personally find that much much harder to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

keano_afc wrote: »
    That was in the OP. I think its safe to say the thread has strayed somewhat.

You could say it has evolved.

Or God made it so, whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Don't get my wrong, I believe in evolution. I just know that it hasn't been proven. As you say, there are holes in it. Claiming it's fact simply because scientist use different definitions of the wor "fact" is bullsh*t. It's still the most obvious and likely explanation.

Twilightning stated that it was fact and that you can't believe in a fact. Well, unless you're an Empiricist, I suppose.

When people say that evolution is a fact they mean that adaptation through natural selection is a fact because it has been observed to be true. They know that there is a possibility that some details of the theory are wrong.

@Jakkass, people who think that evolution is guided by god do not understand evolution. If it's being guided then it's no longer natural selection, it's divine selection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Jakkass wrote: »
    Why do people have this definite belief that life doesn't have any meaning at all and that we are here for absolutely nothing at all?

I personally find that much much harder to believe.

Possibly because there are more signs towards that than there are to the reason for life!

Advertisement