Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 days or 7 billion years?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

It's 200 years since Darwin's birth & 150 since the publication of 'On the Origin of Species'.

So, how far have we come? Have we evolved or are we still superstitious idiots, hmm?

What's your view on life on earth & how it got here...

Which theory do you subscribe to: 342 votes

Evolution (natural selection etc)
    0% 0 votes
    Intelligent Design
    82% 282 votes
    New-Earth Creationism
    2% 9 votes
    Old-Earth Creationism (Day-Age, Gap, Prog etc)
    1% 6 votes
    Atari Jaguarism
    1% 4 votes
    Pastafarian theory of creation
    7% 25 votes
    Other
    4% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

While I believe in Evolution, it doesn't fully explain what we're doing here. The HLR might help explain things, but I would think we're never going to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

You can't 'believe' in evolution since it's not based on faith. It's actual fact. If you don't adhere to it, there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

keano_afc wrote: »

This is a link to the Christianity forum - a forum I don't believe would be condusive to an un-biased/humourous debate on evolution theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Evolution is the only theory there that's made any attempt to explain itself and try and prove it's correct. The rest fall apart with even the slightest examination and the people that support it turn to the, stick your fingers in your ears and jump up and down on the spot shouting "it's true, it's true" then run out of the room screaming method of maintaining their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't understand the question. Can we have class outside today?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's the difference between intelligent design and evolution tbh?

I believe in evolution, but I'm pretty sure there's some form of intelligence behind it... Certainly not a creator though

What's the difference between intelligent design and evolution tbh?

I believe in evolution, but I'm pretty sure there's some form of intelligence behind it... Certainly not a creator though
    So whats the intelligence then? I could accept a creator but maybe not an administrator. It's possible something started off the big bang knowing that it would end up something like the universe we have now. But I don't think he spends his day watching every little thing we do judging us so he can punish us when we die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

People who argue in favour of intelligent design use an argument from ignorance, i.e. it's true since it's not been proven false. It's not considered a real science either since it's never been published in a single scientific journal to date.

Evolution on the other hand, has the evidence stacked in its favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Smart Bug wrote: »
    So, how far have we come? Have we evolved or are we still superstitious idiots, hmm?

Being superstitious doesn't make you less evolved or an idiot. In fact, it requires an imagination which is something that separates us from other species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ScumLord wrote: »
    So whats the intelligence then? I could accept a creator but maybe not an administrator. It's possible something started off the big bang knowing that it would end up something like the universe we have now. But I don't think he spends his day watching every little thing we do judging us so he can punish us when we die.

I defo don't believe in an administrator of life, imo physics is what created intelligence. The same way it created planets etc

The intelligence of life is simply an extension of natural physics. Life formed through the rules of physics, and for something to be able to do that takes some kind of intelligence imo

Makes my head hurt when I think about it, but it's probably exceptionally simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I know the thread title is probably a play on words, but it's 14.5 ish billion years ("start" of the known universe) or 4.5 ish billion years ("start" of the earth).

Also, evolution does not deal with the "spark of life", but the development of existing life through the ages, so the poll is a little skewed.

/pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,736 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody who follows the Old Testament ever seems to think that maybe, just maybe, a day for god is like 24 billion years? Or that maybe, just maybe, god created evolution?

WindSock wrote: »
    Being superstitious doesn't make you less evolved or an idiot. In fact, it requires an imagination which is something that separates us from other species.

Being superstitious does not necessarily equate to an active imagination. When writing this I had in mind ultra right-wing creationist mentalists, I shouldn't have used the word idiots as I have no probs with un-assuming religious (sic superstitious) folk.

Also, how the hell can you tell if other species are imaginative or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Plenty of animals have imaginations and have dreams etc.

Don't cod yourself, belief in nonsense drags you further back down towards the animals.

I defo don't believe in an administrator of life, imo physics is what created intelligence. The same way it created planets etc

The intelligence of life is simply an extension of natural physics. Life formed through the rules of physics, and for something to be able to do that takes some kind of intelligence imo

Makes my head hurt when I think about it, but it's probably exceptionally simple
    lol, ya it's hard to put anything describing this sort of stuff into words. I still use the word God to describe what ever caused the universe to start (pre-big bang) and to describe whatever keeps the universe running ie: god would be that equation or the theory of everything that allows all things in the universe to work.

I like to call it God because it annoys atheists and theists equally. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This is a link to the Christianity forum - a forum I don't believe would be condusive to an un-biased/humourous debate on evolution theories.

You aren't going to get an unbiased debate on anything anywhere on boards.ie.

everyone has their own vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can't 'believe' in evolution since it's not based on faith. It's actual fact. If you don't adhere to it, there's something wrong.
    It's not fact, it's a theory.

Overheal wrote: »
    Nobody who follows the Old Testament ever seems to think that maybe, just maybe, a day for god is like 24 billion years? Or that maybe, just maybe, god created evolution?

You see, that's where Neo-Creationism comes in.

Neo-Creationist theories attempt to tie-in with scientific fact and evidence to throw all (or most) responsibility for life at the Flying Spaghetti Monster'sGod's door.

Examples include Progressive Creationism (God nudging evolution along at particular stages), Day-Age Creationism (equating the days in Genesis to ages of the earth) etc etc etc etc.........

Convenient, huh? Discarding traditiional views in light of modern rational scientific evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Being superstitious I think involves less imagination. It is looking for the easy answer to things. It takes a lot more to work out how we actually got here by using science than thinking it was all created by a God figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

God of the gaps nonsense.

Do the evolution, baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Jesus, this thread started gathering fast. As a scientist, I agree with Twilightning since, you can't believe in evolution since it's based on fact and evidence. That is recognising or knowing. Beyond that, it explains how we arrived at the point we're at now but it doesn't explain where life came from or how it even began. There are plenty of theories on that most of which I don't buy into e.g. panspermia.

From what I've experienced in my life, I feel like there is something bigger than whatever exists on Earth, something which we can't comprehend. As such, I believe in God and I acknowledge evolution for what it is.

I really don't get why people only see one side of things in this case. Think everything through thoroughly, find where they overlap and separate.

Also, note to Humanji: Look up the meaning of 'Theory' on wikipedia. Theories have been tried and tested to the point of madness. The word 'theory' has been taken by the scientifically challenged and perverted into something unpure. Theories within the scientific communtiy are taken very seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Have we evolved or are we still superstitious idiots, hmm?

I'll leave it too yourself...

- Drav!

cianl1 wrote: »
    Jesus, this thread started gathering fast. As a scientist, I agree with Twilightning since, you can't believe in evolution since it's based on fact and evidence. That is recognising or knowing. Beyond that, it explains how we arrived at the point we're at now but it doesn't explain where life came from or how it even began. There are plenty of theories on that most of which I don't buy into e.g. panspermia.

From what I've experienced in my life, I feel like there is something bigger than whatever exists on Earth, something which we can't comprehend. As such, I believe in God and I acknowledge evolution for what it is.

I really don't get why people only see one side of things in this case. Think everything through thoroughly, find where they overlap and separate.
    But you can believe in it. It hasn't been proven, so you have to put your faith in the assumption that it's true. The same with gravity. I'm putting my faith in people who are smarter than me to not be taking the piss with all this "falling" malarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,736 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You see, that's where Neo-Creationism comes in.

Neo-Creationist theories attempt to tie-in with scientific fact and evidence to throw all (or most) responsibility for life at the Flying Spaghetti Monster'sGod's door.

Examples include Progressive Creationism (God nudging evolution along at particular stages), Day-Age Creationism (equating the days in Genesis to ages of the earth) etc etc etc etc.........

Convenient, huh? Discarding traditiional views in light of modern rational scientific evidence.
    Yeah! Just like those filthy blasphemers who think the Earth is round when confronted with overwhelming evidence :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

google "evolution is both a fact and a theory"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If we're descended from apes then how come we don't build our houses in trees? Can someone please just answer that question for me?

Also, how the hell can you tell if other species are imaginative or not?

Because their art sucks.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If we're descended from apes then how come we don't build our houses in trees? Can someone please just answer that question for me?

We build them from trees :pac:

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Because it's too expensive to have the plumbing fitted.

Advertisement