Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2015

Options
  • 01-12-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭

I made my first purchases in the French bakery today.

The cannelloni are just weird (waffles filled with stodgy icing). But the apricot cakes exactly as remembered from last year. So I'm thinking it's the same bakers, but perhaps with a different brand.

What's your favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was there briefly the first Sunday, We were a little pressed for time so made a beeline for the Chimney Cakes which were delicious.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Arrg chimney cakes, I still haven't eaten one.
    The crepes are ok, not as good as Mick's but ok value for a Xmas market.
    Hot dogs as nice as always. Usually my favourite in winter. Much mustard, such wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I made my first purchases in the French bakery today.

The cannelloni are just weird (waffles filled with stodgy icing). But the apricot cakes exactly as remembered from last year. So I'm thinking it's the same bakers, but perhaps with a different brand.

What's your favourite?

Had a coconut macaroon last week, was grand. Definitely don't think it's the same bakers, they don't have an awful lot of the range they previously had and then they have the cannoli etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Ive been to the stall that sells misery & begrudgery...think its run by whatisgalway & bobbyss...nothing of interest in both.

Seriously Biko.....why lock a thread simply because of 2 goons who think its big & clever to go against the grain?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can anyone give a brief description of what this chimney cake is like? I'm intrigued :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

xtradel wrote: »
    Ive been to the stall that sells misery & begrudgery...think its run by whatisgalway & bobbyss...nothing of interest in both.

Seriously Biko.....why lock a thread simply because of 2 goons who think its big & clever to go against the grain?

not allowed to talk negatively about the xmas market it looks like. how its run, location, whats not in it and how eyre sq is in ruin for 5 months.

It was locked so we could discuss the market itself and not greedy counsellors etc blah. We can do that after Christmas. Back on topic please. And don't call others user bad names. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I haven't been to the market in a long, long time although I have passed Spanish Arch part in a car and pitied the poor stall keepers in the wind and rain.

Are things expensive there? If I wanted to get a cup of tea and a burger, how much am I looking at compared to tea/burger than I can get (and sit down in ) Supermacs or Macdonalds? What Christmas gifts could I get as presents ? When is it closing?

My strong impression is that it is an overly priced place. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Must have had 20 chimney cakes last year, you're seriously missing out biko!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

its been years since i was there. i do remeber the french lads made lovely sweets though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    What Christmas gifts could I get as presents ?

Lots of religious things from the sisters from Belarus

Garlic graters

Energy/ionising (or something) jewellry

Large star thingies with coloured lights inside

Christmas jumpers

Animal-shaped woolly hats

There's also one rotating stall: paid for by the council, and being used week-about (or suchlike) by various charities who are selling whatever they have to sell. (I know this because Mr OBumble gave some craft products to a friend who was running it for their particular charity.)

There are other things too, but I cannot remember what off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was just wondering if they were there. That's the one stall that's reliably had something interesting for sale for a decent price year on year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hopefully going to get up to Galway on Saturday, so I'll be popping in for a visit once I'm up.

Are things expensive there? If I wanted to get a cup of tea and a burger, how much am I looking at compared to tea/burger than I can get (and sit down in ) Supermacs or Macdonalds?
    Prob a euro or two extra for tea and burger.
    Christmas markets aren't for savings. You go there for the atmosphere and cool stuff :)

And don't forgot that this year there are more market stuff down at the Spanish Arch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Prob a euro or two extra for tea and burger.
    Christmas markets aren't for savings. You go there for the atmosphere and cool stuff :)

And don't forgot that this year there are more market stuff down at the Spanish Arch too.

The exact same things as Eyre Square except the Bavarian Bar, just to be clear.

The beer hall down at the Arch is really nice inside this year. Pints in plastic glasses are 5 euro I think. Mulled wine the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Whereabouts is the rotating charity stall MrsOB?

I see the pizza bread guy has dropped his price to €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What kind of religious stuff? Crucifixes ? Scapulars?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I had a great time in the Paulaner tent there last Thursday. It's a pity they stop serving at 10! Hoping to check out the Spanish Arch one once I get these flippin' exams out the way. Also planning on eating EVERYTHING.

Do they still fill the chimney cakes with nutella?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Crumpets wrote: »
    Do they still fill the chimney cakes with nutella?

Yep - 50c Extra

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I had a hot dog. Because that was almost your only choice if you wanted hot food. Damn I want the exotic meat stall and the corndog guy back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

When is it closing?

The 22nd of December. I kinda wanted to pop down for a bratwurst (I remember them being very decent a few years ago) but I'm not back in Galway til the following day :o

I haven't had any beer steins yet, they don't have them in the Sparch hall.
    It's the best way to drink beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I certainly noticed plenty of steins on the go last Friday in the main beer tent in eyre square. The place was heaving and there was a queue waiting to get in. Not sure what the attraction is exactly, maybe you have to be younger to appreciate it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I had a hot dog. Because that was almost your only choice if you wanted hot food. Damn I want the exotic meat stall and the corndog guy back!
    Ah feck, is exotic meats not there at all? :(

Also, wrt the beer tent, and I say this as a "young one": the music tends to blare out of there far too loudly, and it does my head in. Turn it down, and play something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Heading to Galway on Saturday and going to pop in to the Christmas market. Anything that shouldn't be missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I really hate the way that the stall that is closes t to the end of the path coming down from the 403 bus stop has half blocked the end of the path with its hitching block surrounded by 2 security fences. Would think with the park already heavily obstructed they would attempt to avoid things like that.

Otherwise market just seems to be a less interesting repeat of previous years. & makes having to get off the 409 and head into town a bit more inconvenient.

Are there less stalls? Seems to be a big gap where teh beer hall was in previous years, so does that mean that the beer hall is now occupying space that was stalls before?
    Or has the extension down to Spanish arch just meant that the same amount of stalls are now more widely spread, across 2 locations. Presumably they thought both sites would be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jofspring wrote: »
    Heading to Galway on Saturday and going to pop in to the Christmas market. Anything that shouldn't be missed?

Chimney cake.
    Stevolende wrote: »
    Are there less stalls? Seems to be a big gap where teh beer hall was in previous years, so does that mean that the beer hall is now occupying space that was stalls before?

I did think the beer tent in eyre sq. looked bigger than last year. Probably the most profitable thing there.

Angron wrote: »
    Ah feck, is exotic meats not there at all? :(

Also, wrt the beer tent, and I say this as a "young one": the music tends to blare out of there far too loudly, and it does my head in. Turn it down, and play something better.

At least I didn't see it there at all. A tonne of hotdog stalls, some random pick 'n' mix sweets/trail mix/whatever else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

There's fish and chips down at Spanish Arch, I had calamari and chips, very generous portion and delicious. Between that and chimney cake I was kept happy :) I think the new layout in Eyre Square is very sparse and ruins it quite a bit tbh.

Advertisement