Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

324 is a lot cheaper than a new set of wheels. :) Are those OEM wheels? Probably a fair bit stronger than some of the cheap aftermarket ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MarkR wrote: »
    324 is a lot cheaper than a new set of wheels. :) Are those OEM wheels? Probably a fair bit stronger than some of the cheap aftermarket ones.

True enough

They are OEM alright...they only appear on Revision 5 MR2s (1998-2000)...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They really finish off the car! Top quality job, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Cancelled my order with Bilstein, can't deliver struts til late September, pack of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

If this isn't proof of murphy's law I dont know what is: :(

After all my scuttering on this morning about my carina (bangernomics thread)

The poor fuckin thing managed to burst a frost plug in the intake mani (today @ 19 degrees c :confused: ), corrosion caused it id imagine, not to worry though.

Had the carb & intake manifold & all pipes off in less than 10 minutes, and reefed the rest of the plug out with the help of a spanner & an american screwdriver.

Off to find a new one tomorrow, clean the carb & intake, flush the coolant system, change the water hoses and get her right for another 200,000+ miles :D

Would love to strip her bare but she's being used as a daily atm (not me though :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cancelled my order with Bilstein, can't deliver struts til late September, pack of wasters.

Have you tried DC Performance in the UK for whatever it is you're after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thanks for the tip. I ordered through Motorsportworld, who order from Bilstein. I will give DC a shout, but I don't think anyone carries the stock they show, they just order as they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Changed dipped beam on the i30, headlight out job :eek:

Luckily it was very straightforward, 3 10mm bolts is all.

Made an ESP off light come on now, methinks I should have disconnected the battery before unplugging the harness from the headlight.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered through Motorsportworld, who order from Bilstein. I will give DC a shout, but I don't think anyone carries the stock they show, they just order as they need it.

Actually I think DC are the same. I ordered H&R springs for my car and they came from Germany so DC will just order from Bilstein :(

It's worth a shot though to just ask them all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

few bits in the pipeline:

* still a few small detailing bits left (including exhaust tips)

* I've a pair of power folding mirrors from a JDM MR2 that I am going to wire into the car along with a 4 x window rollup module so the mirrors fold and windows rollup on alarm

* rust proof the underbody and arches

* clean up the engine bay

* Interior detail including dying the driver side bolster

....I'm sure I'll think of a few other bits :cool:

And getting rid of the accelera's pleeease.....I understand that they were likely on it when you got the car and I don't want to sound like I'm having a go but all that time and money spent on making the car so perfect and clean and then you have the cheapest chinese sh1te between you and all that work being rapidly undone.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My car has Accelera's

I blame the last owner :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

First time i posted any work i have done here. I am still a novice but an eager one :D
    Bought fog lights for my 06 mazda 3 and fitted them myself next step is to get my boot light fixed and a switch for the fogs fitted

naalhaaek.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I bet you will be praying for fog, i havent used mine even once yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

ha no i just like knowing they are there if i ever need them and i prefer the look of them to the plastic panel that was there. Bit of a pain to fit. actually bought the wrong kind at first so if anyone wants some mazda 3 fogs give me a shout you can have them :D

blue movie wrote: »
    ha no i just like knowing they are there if i ever need them and i prefer the look of them to the plastic panel that was there. Bit of a pain to fit. actually bought the wrong kind at first so if anyone wants some mazda 3 fogs give me a shout you can have them :D

Is it the fog light units you're selling? Are they only for the 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The fog light blank plates look the same for the 3 and 6

The fog light blank plates look the same for the 3 and 6

We're not talking about blanking panels, we're talking what I hope is fog light units!

Anyway, aren't you supposed to be dead :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Why is he supposed to be dead? :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We're not talking about blanking panels, we're talking what I hope is fog light units!

Yes but if the blank panels look the same size and shape there's a good chance the fog lights will be the same fitting too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

And getting rid of the accelera's pleeease.....I understand that they were likely on it when you got the car and I don't want to sound like I'm having a go but all that time and money spent on making the car so perfect and clean and then you have the cheapest chinese sh1te between you and all that work being rapidly undone.:eek:

as right as you are, it really goes against the grain :pac:

got 2 "runways" on the front of my car, brand spanking new and not worth a ****e. it just feels wrong to bin new tyres, but i suppose it'd feel more wrong if i were to bin the car as a result of them.

Accelera Phi are not bad at all. I got a set of them on the ZT as that's all the local places had in the size I needed. I was happy to buy them as they were on the 520i I had before the ZT and in the 6 months or so I drove that I was surprised at how good they were. Just got rid of two of them off the ZT after almost 20k miles and couldn't fault them.
    The ones on Erin' MR2 look like accelera alpha though, never drove on them though.
    In all honesty though I wouldn't have bought the Phi yokes only for having driven on them. THey are far from the cheapest available too.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Accelera Phi are not bad at all. I got a set of them on the ZT as that's all the local places had in the size I needed. I was happy to buy them as they were on the 520i I had before the ZT and in the 6 months or so I drove that I was surprised at how good they were. Just got rid of two of them off the ZT after almost 20k miles and couldn't fault them.
    The ones on Erin' MR2 look like accelera alpha though, never drove on them though.
    In all honesty though I wouldn't have bought the Phi yokes only for having driven on them. THey are far from the cheapest available too.

granted the nature of the ZT, do you think 20k miles a fair mileage to have gotten from a tyre or would you have expected more?

Was very happy with that tbh, twas probably 18k though, not 20k, still have two on the back. Have never gotten much longer from tyres, even from the more prestige brands, for want of a better word.Another chap off here had the 520i a few months after I sold it and found the phi yokes fine two, even in the snow etc iirc.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was very happy with that tbh, twas probably 18k though, not 20k, still have two on the back. Have never gotten much longer from tyres, even from the more prestige brands, for want of a better word.Another chap off here had the 520i a few months after I sold it and found the phi yokes fine two, even in the snow etc iirc.

Interesting findings :) had various budget tyres before and never felt too hard done by, this is my first experience of ****e ones. perhaps they aren't all bad. or maybe a lot of it is down to knowing your limitations/ how to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Decided to keep the speaker covers on, to protect the speakers, after someone's foot nearly went through one of them! :eek::D

Changed the rather illegal blue 501s for the plate to more legal white 501s :) just realised that in time phew!

Oh and obligatory deserted multi storey car park pic taken with a crappy camera
    Image2202.jpg

A normal Saturday :)

Decided to see what that engine was like inside

Off with the sump...
    Image2203.jpg

Plastic pickup... :confused:

Oil pan off. Pistons out :)
    Image2204.jpg

Shells look fine...
    Image2205.jpg

Crank looks fine....
    Image2207.jpg

Pistons were fairly grubby though :(
    Image2206.jpg

Ford's powder metal conrods :)

Oil rings were a bit sticky, other rings were alright. Some of the pistons had signs of blow by...

Next on the agenda is the cyl head!

Oh and I stripped a Seicento but left the engine in for now so no point of pics! :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's the what engine now?

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's the what engine now?

Ford Zetec 1.25 :) Block seems sound enough, nothing a good honing wouldn't cure :)

From this thread! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was that Zetec 1.25 engine developed by the Japanese?

(I love looking at your shenanigans btw)

dgt wrote: »
    Ford Zetec 1.25 :) Block seems sound enough, nothing a good honing wouldn't cure :)

Is that from the 1.25 fiesta you had a while ago with the loud horn and stickerbombed interior?

Was that Zetec 1.25 engine developed by the Japanese?

(I love looking at your shenanigans btw)

Cheers, glad you enjoy! :D Yep, the Yamaha developed Zetec engine :)
    Is that from the 1.25 fiesta you had a while ago with the loud horn and stickerbombed interior?

Nope! From the blue Fiesta in this pic
    Image1342.jpg

The poor little green Fiesta is getting mistreated and it breaks my heart hearing it :(

Nope! From the blue Fiesta in this pic

The poor little green Fiesta is getting mistreated and it breaks my heart hearing it :(

Ah right. Im not able to keep track. :eek::pac:

Aw no way. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Out of interest dgt, how many cars do you own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I just read "that" thread, bad luck, dude.
    Will there be a thread of the engine's revival?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Long time lurker here.

Today I washed, de-tarred, clayed, blacked wheels, vacuumed an polished inside both mine and my parents car. Tomorrow is waxing day. So pics will follow after the wax.

PS. Any tips for products to deal with scuffs/scratches. Parents car has a few scuffs, scratchs, other cars door marks and hand prints on the car. Claying didnt do much for those (not that I expected it to).

cgal093 wrote: »
    Out of interest dgt, how many cars do you own?

I get confused quite often!

Alfa 166
    BMW 525i
    3 Fiat Bravos
    Fiat Tempra
    Peugeot 106
    Peugeot 406

So 8 at the moment :) had more earlier this year but they go up and down all the time :) I have a strange feeling I forgot one though...

There's only 3 of us here and between us we have about 25 vehicles :pac:
    I just read "that" thread, bad luck, dude.
    Will there be a thread of the engine's revival?

I highly doubt it, €150 was the asking price, people were hesitant about buying it. A skim and head set would cost about £80 and a tb kit is £72. Then there's shells, special tools, various service parts... I'd need to charge about €400 to pull the money back. It ain't worth it unless someone wants to buy the block or the sump :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I highly doubt it, €150 was the asking price, people were hesitant about buying it. A skim and head set would cost about £80 and a tb kit is £72. Then there's shells, special tools, various service parts... I'd need to charge about €400 to pull the money back. It ain't worth it unless someone wants to buy the block or the sump :(

You can always make a Top Gear style table out of it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dgt, you are a true mentalist and I mean that in the best possible way. Ah sure fcuk it, let's strip the engine down for a look. That's bloody brilliant. We need more happy wing nuts like you. The world is a better place for it. Keep up the madness dude.

You can always make a Top Gear style table out of it.;)

You know, I am getting sick of looking at that coffee table in the sitting room... ;)
    Saab Ed wrote: »
    Dgt, you are a true mentalist and I mean that in the best possible way. Ah sure fcuk it, let's strip the engine down for a look. That's bloody brilliant. We need more happy wing nuts like you. The world is a better place for it. Keep up the madness dude.

Cheers, what kind words! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Moar 406 stuff :pac:

First, turned down the diesel pump and disconnected the vacuum to the EGR (thanks for the tip Row :D). Bit of smoke under hard acceleration, nothing out of the ordinary. Well chuffed :D

Speaker covers...
    Image2209.jpg

After someones high heel nearly went through it... ;)

Needed a top up of coolant
    Image2210.jpg

And a new set of flat blades!
    Image2208.jpg

Much better than the old standard wipers :):)

Yes, my windscreen is broke....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Badly overdue wash, glaze and sealant today. :p

IMAG0180.jpg

Shiney :cool:

Lack of driving or rain cause the rusty discs? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Shiney :cool:

Lack of driving or rain cause the rusty discs? :eek:

Nope, just the stuff I use on the wheels when I wash.Comes off straight away after a dab of the brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A dab of oppo :pac:.

As promised. Heres the pics.
    First up. The parents car. Washed, detarred, clayed, waxed, wheels blackened, vacuumed, leather cleaned and dash polished. Might try hammerite the tow bar tomorrow.
    DSC_0003+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0009+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0016+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0025+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0028+%28Small%29.jpg

Didnt get as much done on my own. Washed, detarred, clayed and wheels blackened. Ran out of wax so might tip into town tomorrow and see what I can get. Ill do the inside then too.
    DSC_0017+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0018+%28Small%29.jpg

DSC_0024+%28Small%29.jpg

Nice work on the Audi. But the first five pic aren't working.

Working for me... and I even uploaded those onto boards. Anyone else not seeing the Honda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Working for me... and I even uploaded those onto boards. Anyone else not seeing the Honda?

Nope, cant see the first five either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

gollywog wrote: »
    Nope, cant see the first five either....

Me either but I have glasses so.....

:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement