Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

andyseadog wrote: »
    thanks :D must admit the weather is against me though :mad: its undergoing a prolonged de-ionised water rinse at the moment... aka getting rained on like ****.

and before its said, yup i do go a lot of places with my front fogs on, too bad :pac:

Keep her JDM... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

**** it anyway, first half of the update is on the previous page :mad:

Fixed;)

Savage looking motor. Looks really clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Rustproofed the sills today - Bilt Hamber Dynamax S50 arrived from cleancar.ie, already treated with Hammerite Kurust last week.

img1124qp.jpg

BEFORE:

img1123qc.jpg

AFTER (Still wet in Pic!):

img1129ad.jpg

Will check the driver side sill when I get a chance and add some for good measure, but the foam was clear on drivers side so it'll keep!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Glanza looks great Andy.
    Whats the craic with blanking the reg on your tax disc, when the photo directly above it clearly shows your reg though? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Put standard springs and dampers back on the, er, new car :pac:

For obvious reasons!
    Image2082.jpg
    Image2083.jpg
    Image2085.jpg

And another post in a few days when they're swapped onto the blue machine :cool: I don't know how but I managed to get all 4 Bravos in the pics :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Experimented with some coding today, inside away from the rain.

c1-1.jpg

Great fun playing around with the coding options, I set the doors to lock after moving off, activated DRLs, memory seats and mirrors move on opening the door and decreased the volume of the rear park distance speaker.
    c2-1.jpg

ABS lights are on, so need to pull codes for that tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Great fun playing around with the coding options, I set the doors to lock after moving off, activated DRLs, memory seats and mirrors move on opening the door and decreased the volume of the rear park distance speaker.

What program are you using?

BMW's SSS/Progman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Tell me, is it possible to enable the seatbelt / lights on when no key in ignition gong with this?
    And also, can the EU BMW Alarm have the same "beep-beep" when unlocking the car that the US spec has?

Just see the video to see what I mean:
    0:17
    0:30
    0:37

• Advertisement

Thats class, Never seen that before, Is that the same way you map/remap a car? I presume you need some software for the remap though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BMW's SSS/Progman.

are you using something like a GT1 or did you modify the files to use just a standard OBDII cable

Sobanek wrote: »
    Tell me, is it possible to enable the seatbelt / lights on when no key in ignition gong with this?
    And also, can the EU BMW Alarm have the same "beep-beep" when unlocking the car that the US spec has?

Just see the video to see what I mean:
    0:17
    0:30
    0:37

I know the beep noise you mean and I thought I enabled it myself today (some of the options names are confusing) but no beeping. However I have a feeling I selected the wrong option. You can change the interior lights settings too, not sure about the seatbelt option, didn't see it myself however it may have been under a different heading. A legend would be useful for some of the options; I know the US E38s have the Fasten Seatbelts prompt so it should be possible.
    Also, as far as I know, options become available/unavailable depending on the BMW connected.
    Thats class, Never seen that before, Is that the same way you map/remap a car? I presume you need some software for the remap though?

Its a similar kind of technique, however in practice a lot different in terms of what the software accesses. With this program, you're simply changing preferences like lights, alarms etc, whereas mapping a car is changing the parameters of the engine and/or transmissions ECUs.
    are you using something like a GT1 or did you modify the files to use just a standard OBDII cable

I'm running all the various BMW programs on XP on a netbook. They all run under VMWare, Progman under an XP environment and DIS under a UNIX environment. Connects to the car with an EDIABAS cable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Glanza looks great Andy.
    Whats the craic with blanking the reg on your tax disc, when the photo directly above it clearly shows your reg though? :pac:

i've no fear of the cars identity being stolen, i just felt that photo might make my tax disc easily reprinted and forged to show a different reg, and if someone should chose to do that, i dont want mine to be the original disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I know the beep noise you mean and I thought I enabled it myself today (some of the options names are confusing) but no beeping. However I have a feeling I selected the wrong option. You can change the interior lights settings too, not sure about the seatbelt option, didn't see it myself however it may have been under a different heading. A legend would be useful for some of the options; I know the US E38s have the Fasten Seatbelts prompt so it should be possible.
    Also, as far as I know, options become available/unavailable depending on the BMW connected.

Hoping to get some stuff like that working - I actually like the annoying seatbelt gong and the cool alarm chime :D (My dad's brother had the seatbelt gong on his E34 a long time ago. Imported from Germany.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

i've no fear of the cars identity being stolen, i just felt that photo might make my tax disc easily reprinted and forged to show a different reg, and if someone should chose to do that, i dont want mine to be the original disc.

Ah I was only pointing out a funny. My reg is knocking around here too somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I stuck the alloys back on the Audi 200 to take it out for a spin. Then found out, that either the fan switch or temperature valve must have ceased working, as the car is cooking, when parked/idle.

Old cars and the worries that come with them. Well, that's on the immediate fix list so.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sobanek wrote: »

You cannot code an ECE car with SSS Progman to enable the beep beep that you're on about. You need to use NCS Expert, BMW Scanner or Autologic to enable that function. There are lots of subtle changes you can make with NCS Expert like:
    - Enable Brake Force Display brake lights, this is where you can get the 3rd brake light to start flashing under heavy braking
    - Enable remote home lights (activate headlights) via remote key
    - Change r of windows when door is open
    - Deactivate seat belt chime or key in ignition chime
    - Deactivate airbags (why you would want to I don't know)
    - Deactivate bulb test system
    - Add a digital speedo to newer BMWs
    - Enable MP3 playback in CD Changer
    - Retrofit iPod integration
    - and many more

Here's some changes I made to my cars:

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1N6uYTu25I

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9frgXnUm5vY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Got my alloys back from Wheel Wizards in Finglas. Very impressed with the work done, they are flawless now. The guy really knows his stuff and does a top job.

Sorry no before pics but they were in bits. Loads of curb rash and some chipping to the alloy lacquer, paint and dents too. Too much rain and wind today for more pics.

3Tsnj.jpg?1

GYRek.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They look fantastic! How much per wheel?

EDIT: on their site, it says "Crack/Weld", any idea if this means the welding of cracks and not repairing kerb rash?

Great job! Next stop, centre caps. :D

• Advertisement

It cost 100 per wheel for 19" rim with the tyres mounted and balanced.

They do welding repairs of cracking alloys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gis a go of that will ya!?! :)

Anytime. ;)

Plugged 12v directly into the DSC precharge pump this evening, to hear it go "click" and then smoke coming out of it. I think I found the cause of the ABS/DSC lights!

ongarite wrote: »
    Got my alloys back from Wheel Wizards in Finglas. Very impressed with the work done, they are flawless now. The guy really knows his stuff and does a top job.

Sorry no before pics but they were in bits. Loads of curb rash and some chipping to the alloy lacquer, paint and dents too. Too much rain and wind today for more pics.

3Tsnj.jpg?1

GYRek.jpg?1

Good job ... Did that price includes tyres off and back on ?

Yeah it did.

Yeah it did.

Excellent .. just over €300 to do mine. :)

Could try do them myself but between removing tyres ,buying paints, hassle, etc and the finish wouldn't be half as good

False economy so I guess I'll be paying a visit when i finish sorting the last few panels!

It cost 100 per wheel for 19" rim with the tyres mounted and balanced.

They do welding repairs of cracking alloys too.

What i meant to ask is if that "65 per" was for crack welding or if it's also the price for repairing each bit of kerb rash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Washed and clayed the car today, hard work but woth it!
    Blacklight and hybrid v7 tomorrow! Anybody any experience with that stuff??!

gollywog wrote: »

Blacklight is excellent. It can be a small bit tough to apply as it tends to cake up on the applicator pad. Just make sure you apply a thin coat (as per instructions) and you'll be fine. Wait 15 minutes, then buff it off, this part is very easy as long as you apply a thin coat. It'll also make it a lot easier since you've clayed it too ;)

It says to wait 30 minutes before applying a 2nd coat of BL but I stick to this even if I'm applying a wax because it does take 30 minutes for the BL to cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Today I ordered new alloys. Mine are fairly shook and need spacers to fit over the HSD's since I get rubbing a slight bit now. New ones are et20 instead of et40 so they will be out a bit more and fill the arches a bit better as well. I'll post pictures here once they are on the car.

• Advertisement

Blacklight is excellent. It can be a small bit tough to apply as it tends to cake up on the applicator pad. Just make sure you apply a thin coat (as per instructions) and you'll be fine. Wait 15 minutes, then buff it off, this part is very easy as long as you apply a thin coat. It'll also make it a lot easier since you've clayed it too ;)

It says to wait 30 minutes before applying a 2nd coat of BL but I stick to this even if I'm applying a wax because it does take 30 minutes for the BL to cure.

Thanks man, ill take some pics when I do it! Bear in mind I'm a novice! :p

It's not rocket science ;)

Thing is though, BL is mainly for dark coloured cars and since yours is silver, it won't have the same effect but it'll be super-smooth and will bead brilliantly.

Thing is though, BL is mainly for dark coloured cars and since yours is silver, it won't have the same effect but it'll be super-smooth and will bead brilliantly.

Il expect brilliant beading from gollywog so. :pac:

Ah crap I didn't know that!!
    What's good for silver do you know?!
    I'll try my best bubblewrap! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ah crap I didn't know that!!
    What's good for silver do you know?!
    I'll try my best bubblewrap! :p

You will get a good finishe with those two
    Blacklight and Hybrid v7

Sealants are best for white and silvers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

vectra wrote: »
    You will get a good finishe with those two
    Blacklight and Hybrid v7

Sealants are best for white and silvers

I remember I pmd you regarding this and you mentioned woolfs. Where did you get that? Need it for a silver car too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Did a shampoo on my carpets...not completely new, but nearly. My mother on the other hand will never stop talking about how dirty the inside of the tumble drier was afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I remember I pmd you regarding this and you mentioned woolfs. Where did you get that? Need it for a silver car too.

Wolfs Chemicals Body Wrap is the one I had on my car,
    Stripped it off 2 weeks ago and have since put on 3 coats of Carlack Long Life sealant and am very happy with the results
    As for the BW
    It is currently only available in th UK or further afield,
    There will be an Irish agent very soon but when exactly i cannot say. I am also not a liberty to mention who it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

As there was some event where a ball being kicked around by people broadcasted on national telly, I had some much needed peace and quiet! :cool:

Got some toys for my 406
    Image2063.jpg

But I decided to install the speedo for now
    Image2064.jpg

Checking for dud bulbs
    Image2065.jpg

But the speedo read wrong! So to the kitchen...
    Image2068.jpg
    Image2070.jpg

And there was the problem... See the burned track?
    Image2069.jpg

To the garage...
    Image2074.jpg
    Image2101.jpg

In the car...
    Image2104.jpg

Fiddle with the needle...
    Image2106.jpg

And we have a working unit once more :D
    Image2107.jpg

Screwed out the pump and... Now my clutch is knackered (was on the way out anyway) clearly the D-Turbo lump is producing more torque than before! :rolleyes: Pricing an uprated clutch, but not a paddle clutch, they cost a fortune! Not looking foreward to that job. B*llox :(

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    As there was some event where a ball being kicked around by people broadcasted on national telly, I had some much needed peace and quiet! :cool:

Your gas! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »

Got some toys for my 406

Screwed out the pump and... Now my clutch is knackered (was on the way out anyway) clearly the D-Turbo lump is producing more torque than before! :rolleyes: Pricing an uprated clutch, but not a paddle clutch, they cost a fortune! Not looking foreward to that job. B*llox :(

Whodve thought breaking the 100bhp barrier would knacker a clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nice table cloth heh :). God bless the work though fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Whodve thought breaking the 100bhp barrier would knacker a clutch?

Quoting photos much? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

On Friday, I paid a visit to the doctor, the NissanDoctor.

I had replaced the tierods on the sister's MX5, so it needed an alignment afterwards. Car felt VERY itchy driving over to Drumcondra but fair dues to the Doctor, one hour late I was driving out and the car felt like new. No doding off at random angles according to bumps and potholes. Pure pleasure to drive.

Getting a 4-wheel alignment done must be one of the best ways to spend money on a car.

Thanks to NissanDoctor, nice setup you have there in Drumcondra and I witnessed how well other customers were being dealt with too while I was in the waiting area.

BTW here are the old balljoints removed from the car - just one year and 4,000 miles on them !! And another balljoint from the same supplier that was sat in the shed over the year. Even it has gone to pot. Lesson learned, buy OEM parts where possible

PS. On Saturday the car passed its MOT up North with flying colours. Love it.

th_IMG_1270.jpg th_IMG_1268.jpg th_IMG_1267.jpg

franksm wrote: »
    On Friday, I paid a visit to the doctor, the NissanDoctor.

35d2m3.jpg

• Advertisement

In the process of applying blacklight to the car, one coat done, one more and then sealant, ill throw up pics after....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

3 stages of Auto Glym with Demon Shine (in a mr muscle bottle) in between each coat to keep the dust down yesterday and i think its looking mighty fresh :)
    its by no means swirl free and its really needs to be clayed but it looks grand until i have a bit more free time!

photo0549t.jpg
    photo0550q.jpg
    photo0551p.jpg
    photo0552y.jpg
    photo0553v.jpg
    photo0554c.jpg
    photo0555mb.jpg
    photo0556sa.jpg

in the mean time, off to teneireif in the morning :)

This was the reason I initially bought the DA and sorted the car...the really bad engine bay scratching. Had to take the 2 panels out but didn't get to the engine cover yet!

BEFORE:

img1112fi.jpg

AFTER:

img1160emb.jpg

Panel Removed:

img1145xc.jpg

Panel with bad clearcoat scratching:

BEFORE:

img1149fl.jpg

img1151lg.jpg

AFTER:

img1153l.jpg

img1154dh.jpg

Other Side Panel - Not as bad ...but still bad!

BEFORE:

img1156z.jpg

AFTER:

img1169hzg.jpg

BEFORE:

img1165d.jpg

img1164qu.jpg

AFTER:

img1168o.jpg

img1166bb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Jeasras - some difference, like night and day !

franksm wrote: »
    Jeasras - some difference, like night and day !

Cheers ;) Scrapes still there but 95% better only vieewable at certain angles...was told that Id get a massive improvement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement