Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wintry spell with Snow and Ice warnings week of 20-3-17

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

yf4kPPK.png

FpeFuuV.gif

mJPC2Hy.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice and white (Knock airport)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Rain here in Kilkenny City temp 5c no snow here for now anyways

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking very windy in some Eastern counties tomorrow morning and windy across the country later. Mostly wet precipitation, any snow would make it Blizzard like perhaps although not sticking for long I would think. Be careful on the Wicklow mountains if tempted to go hiking, looks like it is going to be fairly treacherous up there in those winds and heavy snow. Would expect a yellow wind warning for tomorrow.

wahfHvp.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light rain here in Waterford City. Temp 4.8c. Can't really see any snow falling here, maybe sleet for a time.

The stream on my site may be worth a look later

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Light rain here in Waterford City. Temp 4.8c. Can't really see any snow falling here, maybe sleet for a time.

The stream on my site may be worth a look later

Temps will drop a few degrees in the next few hours, will still be borderline at low levels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Just had a look and MT has upgraded to Alert 😬
    It's freezing here in Cavan. It's 1degrees but feels colder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heavy rain here @ 5C

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Clear and calm here in Dublin 17 temp around 4°c not hopeful of much tonight but whatever happenes happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Snowing here now between Youghal and Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

220m asl 7 miles north east of Kilkenny city:
    Temperature: 2.9C
    Dewpoint: 2.0C
    Rainfall rate: 1.2mm/hr

Temperature has gone down by 0.4C over the past half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any chance of snow reaching South Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any chance of snow reaching South Dublin?

Unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Update to Met Eireann warning

"STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Update
    Cold overnight, with sub-zero temperatures and scattered wintry showers.
    But a band of rain and sleet developing over Leinster and will fall as snow in places. Some snow will extend into parts of north and east Munster also. 2 or 3 cm of snow are likely, with larger amounts on high ground. But in eastern and southeastern coastal districts, with onshore breezes, the precipitation is likely to stay as rain or sleet.

Issued:Tuesday 21 March 2017 20:42
    Valid:Tuesday 21 March 2017 20:00 to Wednesday 22 March 2017 10:00"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperature is falling here now , but no precip uet

3.6c
    DP 1c

www.naasweather.com

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Unlikely.

Typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My Amazon Echo is saying its 3C in Dublin with showers tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

My Amazon Echo is saying its 3C in Dublin with showers tonight :D

Alexa unfortunately uses AccuWeather though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp has dropped to 4.0c with pure rain still falling. 3.4mm recorded so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nice and white (Knock airport)

2 cm of patchy wet lying snow were reported at 7 and 8 pm

AAXX 21201 03973 41465 73403 10005 21006 39762 40020 51006 78582 879//
    333 41002 83712 86650 85919==

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Rain coming down here in D14.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain here too in Dublin 16. 4.8c DP 2.5c atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.3c here (roundwood), heavy sleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Update to Met Eireann warning

"STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Update
    Cold overnight, with sub-zero temperatures and scattered wintry showers.
    But a band of rain and sleet developing over Leinster and will fall as snow in places. Some snow will extend into parts of north and east Munster also. 2 or 3 cm of snow are likely, with larger amounts on high ground. But in eastern and southeastern coastal districts, with onshore breezes, the precipitation is likely to stay as rain or sleet.

Issued:Tuesday 21 March 2017 20:42
    Valid:Tuesday 21 March 2017 20:00 to Wednesday 22 March 2017 10:00"

Feck. Can anyone interpret this for North Kildare, we're supposed to have 700 odd students outside at around 1130am tomorrow :eek::eek:
    If 2-3cm of snow fall will it be gone? I assume it'll be bloody cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mostly rain here in south Laois (89mASL), though a splatter or two of sleet when the heavier bursts get going. 1.5mm from the front so far which is flowing down the storm drains now. Peak rates of 3mm/hr. Currently 3.4c with a 2.2c DP.

Interestingly, a few stations out across west Tipp are reporting conditions suitable for snowfall: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IHRABSTW2
    and
    https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ITIPPERA8

Anyone just east of Lough Derg on here???

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Feck. Can anyone interpret this for North Kildare, we're supposed to have 700 odd students outside at around 1130am tomorrow :eek::eek:

I had a reasonable fall of snow last night (S.Dub 260m). 7am child 1 up and out making snowman, 8am child 2 up and playing in 50%less snow. By 9am it was gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

At best it will be very cold, windy and wet. Sleet or wet snow is likely, possibly accumulating snow. Miserable guaranteed!

17032206_2118.gif

Interesting chart from the Euro4 --> shows mostly rain up until the small hours.

17032206_2118.gif

The 6am accumulated chart... the 9am is similar with just a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Blizzard like conditions up at sally gap, just looking at the nw radar there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Having a good bit of snow here, West co Waterford, 190 masl.

We only had little snow/sleety showers here and there yesterday. Tonight is pretty solid in comparison, but just as MT said, it is wet snow, sticking very well on the grass, but less so on the driveway.
    Long shower though, still going good with real fluffy flakes :D

Best thing is I'm off work tomorrow so might just grant the kids a snowday if it's still there in the morning. I'd expect it'd be gone by lunchtime but hey...

edit : I'm at the foot of the Knockmealdowns.

opuFNfp.png

cwCMXSG.png

temp.png

Flatlined at 3.4c and 2.2cDP for almost an hour while the rain tipples down.

Moderate Sleet in Kildare now

Be it rain, sleet or snow that is a big accumulation of precipitation in the next 24 hrs. Met Eireann saying flooding likely on parts of the East coast.

CLVDlJh.png

VxhCV3i.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    220m asl 7 miles north east of Kilkenny city:
    Temperature: 2.9C
    Dewpoint: 2.0C
    Rainfall rate: 1.2mm/hr

Temperature has gone down by 0.4C over the past half hour.

currently:
    Temperature: 2.2C
    Dewpoint: 1.5C
    Rainfall rate: 0.8mm/hr

Lashing rain in South Dublin :( not even sleet possible

Sleet getting blown against the windows here now. Temperature dropping 3.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

2.9c in N Kildare with light to moderate rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I got better quality pics for the snow bunnies.
    The size of the flakes is ridiculous !
    There's an obligatory impressive car bonnet one, because you'd have to have it.

These are the last ones, promise. For tonight. If I have 3 feets of snow outside tomorrow I might just take another one :)

edit : the pics are not from February, they're from now. We didn't get snow in Feb, or at all this winter for that matter. Not like that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

wesht dublin checking in. nothing to report but miserable rain. best of luck chaps.

Increasing sleet in the precip now 2.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Just woke there, velux is covered full of snow again. Between Youghal and Dungarvan, we are up high though.

north Kildare, near Enfield. Some snow mixing in with the moderate rain at times. Temp now down to 2.4c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Rain now turning to sleet as well in Hollywood village, bang on at 200asl,about a degree away from a massive snow event,a pity

Periscal wrote: »
    Rain now turning to sleet as well in Hollywood village, bang on at 200asl,about a degree away from a massive snow event,a pity

I would be very optimistic that you will get a lot of snow there tonight. The hills and mountains are literally beside the village. You're in as good a spot as you could hope for tonight.

Turning to Wet Snow in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

I wish but just don't have that feeling tonight, according to Yr.no, EURO4 and GFS the most likely chance would be between now and 6AM, this is more like a wasted synoptics, looking at how close we are to snow and how much would have accumulated over next 24 hours,we had a lot of wrong marginal events this winter,wish we could live at elevations between 500 and 700m, somewhere up the Wicklow Gap, I mean like a proper village rather than an isolated cottage

quote="highdef;102988393"]I would be very optimistic that you will get a lot of snow there tonight. The hills and mountains are literally beside the village. You're in as good a spot as you could hope for tonight.[/quote]

Cashel in Tipp is 0.6c: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ICOTIPPE2

Surely snowing there as the radar is lively enough across Tipp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement