Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder rate gone up by 33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I wonder what the detection rate for murder is these days?When you consider that the vast majority of gangland killings go without any convictions I' d say it must be pretty low.

When you say the vast majority go without convictions are you basing that on any evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

When you say the vast majority go without convictions are you basing that on any evidence?

The wiki page for the Crumlin/Drimnagh feud said that there was only successful prosecution in 3 out of the 16 murders. I'd say that's fairly typical of gangland crimes, particularly in dublin.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unsolved-gang-killings-top-100-in-two-divisions-30201392.html

I would have thought the solve rate was higher, particularly recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tragically, I fear that the OP may have been murdered since this thread began.

Robbo wrote: »
    Tragically, I fear that the OP may have been murdered since this thread began.

Statistically, it seems he'll probably get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Statistically, it seems he'll probably get away with it

Do you think he murdered himself? Guaranteed to get away with it so.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I would have thought the solve rate was higher, particularly recently.

There seems to be a good record for detections in the case of Limerick gangland killings but the opposite is the case in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

darkdubh wrote: »
    So the official crime rates for this country have been released and murder is up in the last year by over 30%.Theres also big increases for kidnapping and other violent crime.So despite what the Guards and government keep telling us Irish society seems to getting more violent.

That unreal. Yet they will claim "crime is going down".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Holsten wrote: »
    In realilty the rate is much higher due to the huge amount of unreporting that goes on, mostly down to Garda negligence.
    :pac::pac:

Ha hba How many murders exactly went unreported?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

:pac::pac:

Ha hba How many murders exactly went unreported?

He has a point a lot of small crimes go unreported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Clark2014 wrote: »
    He has a point a lot of small crimes go unreported.

So there's a lot of small people murdered and its never reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Burglaries up by 25% in winter

copey wrote: »
    Burglaries up by 25% in winter

They're just trying to get in out of the cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Beano wrote: »
    They're just trying to get in out of the cold.

Youre making a great contribution to this thread I must say.Keep up the trolling.

its called humour. look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Holsten wrote: »
    In realilty the rate is much higher due to the huge amount of unreporting that goes on, mostly down to Garda negligence.

Not much higher...maybe the odd criminal death goes unrecorded but otherwise the stats are accurate. Do you think many murders of normal innocent people go unreported? They dont

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

A few reasons for the increases seem to be a big increase in people getting killed in drunken assaults/stabbings at house parties.Maybe the easy avilability of cheap booze should be looked at and off licenses more heavily regulated.There seems to be more and more gangland killings certainly and people being killed for more trivial reasons.Being in a fight with some scummer in a pub and being shot a few days later,petty rows etc.

I dont think we need any booze regulations just because some lunatics stabbed eachother when they had a bit too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Riskymove wrote: »
    Murders are not reported?

some get mistaken for homicides

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Beano wrote: »
    its called humour. look it up.

Humour?Don't flatter yourself.For that you need to be funny.

humour is subjective. And this is AH after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Wouldn't part of the reason that detection rates are so low in these gangland feuds be down to the fact that they are killing one person as he killed someone else? Mortality rate in the gangland business would be pretty high.

Pretty hard to build enough evidence to charge someone if, in the intervening period they are killed.

Wouldn't part of the reason that detection rates are so low in these gangland feuds be down to the fact that they are killing one person as he killed someone else? Mortality rate in the gangland business would be pretty high.

Pretty hard to build enough evidence to charge someone if, in the intervening period they are killed.

I think its more a case of a lack of witnesses. Or a lack of witnesses willing to testify anyway.