Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder rate gone up by 33%.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I wouldnt like any child to witness a murder. But you seem to be implying that the Gardai are standing idly by and doing nothing. The significant drop in the murder rate since 2006 shows this not to be true. It just isnt possible to prevent every murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

MadYaker wrote: »
    An increase in the number of scumbag drug dealers killing other scumbag drug dealers, doesn't bother me too much to be honest.

If you actually read the statistics crimes against ordinary law abiding citizens have reduced.

because we have nothing left for them to rob from us.
    the banks and politicians got there before them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It'll be interesting to see what peoples criteria for killings are to qualify as "scumbag on scumbag"

There's been a few cases this year of joe citizens being murdered because they fell foul of gangsters. if you think these ****ers are only willing to kill their own then you're deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

darkdubh wrote: »
    Two examples,there have been many more.I'm not going to go trawling through old news reports for stats but my point is that people have a "its not affecting me so I don't care" attitude.
    I wish more people had that attitude, in Irelands it's more a case of, "some things happened, people need to hear my uninformed opinion, but I'll whisper it back here in case anyone asks me to help or realises I don't actually know what I'm talking about".

Beano wrote: »
    I wouldnt like any child to witness a murder. But you seem to be implying that the Gardai are standing idly by and doing nothing. The significant drop in the murder rate since 2006 shows this not to be true. It just isnt possible to prevent every murder.

i never implied that. Im just speaking against the attitude that a few have that 'sure its only scumbags being killed anyway and it's rare for innocent people to be getting killed by these people'. My point is that the death of one innocent person is more than enough and its paramount that the powers that be continue to stand against this sort of crime no matter who is involved.

Never once did i suggest the Gardaí are standing idly by. In fact id say they are doing a remarkable job with those stats given how under resourced and under funded they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Riskymove wrote: »
    a quick google shows Ireland 36th lowest rate of 217 countries

We had 1.2 homicides per 100,000 people in 2012

Honduras has 90....yes 90

maybe years of call of duty have desensitized me , but 1 in every 1111 people doesn't seem so high to me. I'll worry when its one in every 111 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

endacl wrote: »
    Scumbag v scumbag self solving problem crimes are up.

Crimes that effect real people are down.

Happy days.

Tell that to the kid who was shot in the back in Ballyfermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People should have to take a test before being allowed to quote statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Could you expand more on this please?

He can't, he's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He was murdered doncha know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MadYaker wrote: »
    He was murdered doncha know

33% more than he would have been this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

darkdubh wrote: »
    Two examples,there have been many more.I'm not going to go trawling through old news reports for stats but my point is that people have a "its not affecting me so I don't care" attitude.

It's more of an "it is affecting them so I don't care" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nodin wrote: »
    33% more than he would have been this time last year.
    Won't be long now until we start seeing people getting double murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Robbo wrote: »
    The amount of people who don't know they've been murdered is shocking.

Worse still those who are aware that they've been murdered but have no faith in the Gardai so they do nothing about it.

Funniest post I've seen in donkeys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

People should have to take a test before being allowed to quote statistics.

and I am one of them

Just wondering if anyone knows if murder stats relate to population increase over the decades?
    If the population increased over a period by x, is there a corresponding rise in murder ( or any crime for that matter). Just don't want to believe that back in the '80's there was less than 30 murders per annum and now we are looking at over 50 and there isn't other factors involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

cajonlardo wrote: »
    in the '80's there was less than 30 murders per annum and now we are looking at over 50 and there isn't other factors involved.

I'm going to hazard a guess that any increase (per capita) might be to do with increasing disposable income > increasing recreational drug use > increased drug gang feuding over territory/money.

Total guess, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Murder rate gone up by 33%

We really need to legalise concealed carry of AR-15s so that ordinary people can stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

cajonlardo wrote: »
    and I am one of them

Just wondering if anyone knows if murder stats relate to population increase over the decades?
    If the population increased over a period by x, is there a corresponding rise in murder ( or any crime for that matter). Just don't want to believe that back in the '80's there was less than 30 murders per annum and now we are looking at over 50 and there isn't other factors involved.

There's certainly seems to be a lot of Baltic on Baltic that there wasn't in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

c_man wrote: »
    We really need to legalise concealed carry of AR-15s so that ordinary people can stay safe.

Sure where would ye get an AR-15 in Ireland?

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Robbo wrote: »
    The amount of people who don't know they've been murdered is shocking.

Worse still those who are aware that they've been murdered but have no faith in the Gardai so they do nothing about it.

There's people getting murdered these days who never got murdered before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think the statistics are lying.

I've lived in Ireland for nearly 40 years and in all that time I've never once been murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ah yeah. Sorry. That was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The crime rate in the Dublin area in general must be shocking. As someone who has been the victim of:

-1 house robbery
    -1 phone robbery on Westmoreland Street

and my girlfriend
    -1 phone robbery on Mountjoy Sq
    -indecently assaulted by some scumbag on Dublin Bus in broad daylight
    -Hassled by a group of scumbags drinking cans by the canal in Cabra

I well believe it. Dublin is gone to the dogs in parts. All the above in the past 8 months.

As someone who has been the victim of:

-1 house robbery
    -1 phone robbery on Westmoreland Street

and my girlfriend
    -1 phone robbery on Mountjoy Sq
    -indecently assaulted by some scumbag on Dublin Bus in broad daylight
    -Hassled by a group of scumbags drinking cans by the canal in Cabra

I well believe it. Dublin is gone to the dogs in parts. All the above in the past 8 months.

I didnt spot the breakdown by county for those figures. can you point them out to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

endacl wrote: »
    Scumbag v scumbag self solving problem crimes are up.

Crimes that effect real people are down.

Happy days.

Except they're not. The Guardai brass are currently $h1tting themselves about a report tha's due to be shelvedpublished next month that clearly show how they have been re-clasifying and under reporting on a massive scale.

Any fan of The Wire knows all about 'juking the stats' but the scale of it aparently puts the penelty points fiasco in the halpenny place. If course the dogs in the street know it, the massive increese in crimes the Guards can't statistically hide, like murder, stand at odds with a general decline in crime, which is going unreported, unrecorded or reclasified as lesser offences that don't make the headline crime stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Any stats to back this up?

Pretty sure we had out worst year in recent history (around 80) in the past couple of years

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Any stats to back this up?

Pretty sure we had out worst year in recent history (around 80) in the past couple of years

for your reading pleasure

http://cso.ie/Quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=cja01c1.asp&TableName=Homicide+Offences&StatisticalProduct=DB_CJ

So the rate has pretty much stayed the same for the past decade, aside for one or two years higher (2006 +2007) and lower (2004 and 2011).

So to say our murder rate has been dropping since 2006 is a little disingenious. Could easily say it has increased since 2011.

PS. We live in a safe country, without question.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I wonder what the detection rate for murder is these days?When you consider that the vast majority of gangland killings go without any convictions I' d say it must be pretty low.

• Advertisement

I wonder what the detection rate for murder is these days?When you consider that the vast majority of gangland killings go without any convictions I' d say it must be pretty low.

It's literally chalk and cheese I think

Very low detection for gangland murders, but for almost all the other types of murder detection is quite high. I'd struggle to think of more than a handful of 'unsolved' crimes, the ones we know are high profile for that reason, they are so rare.

Advertisement