Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

May not be the place, but since it's a popular thread I wouldn't mind getting a broader opinion on it. what do people think about going out with someone with depression? and at what point when you're with someone do you bring it up?

I think I could cope with that as long as the person was actively doing things to help themselves out of it, talking, taking advice, taking medication if prescribed. In support meetings I've met people who say they are terribly depressed and on the edge. The members of the group give them advice and tips and encouragment and they come back a month or so later with the exact same complaints having done none of the things suggested.

At some point the depressed person has to start helping themselves. It's usually people who try and take charge of their recovery who end up well in the longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Its a time of year where alot of people are happy, spend time with their family, get to enjoy their life, but for some people its not like that, for some people its a time when things are looking worse than ever..

Please, if you are thinking about suicide, or have thought about suicide, talk to someone. Someone is always there. Someone is going through the same situation that you are, someone can make you see the bright side that you can't see. When times feel like they can't get any worse, and you are just stuck in a rut. Find a family member, a friend, someone to confide in. Don't take the option of suicide. Things can never be so bad.

This song is a really powerful song. In the middle it breaks up to hear people who have lost people to suicide.

A guy says "Its not the right order of things, you're not supposed to bury your children, they are supposed to bury you"

Think about the people that really care about you. The ones who will be left behind.

Please please talk to someone. It should never be an option.

This affects alot of people every year. The reason I posted it here in After Hours is because I know it will be seen by ALOT of people.

Thanks for listening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

probably the best song i have ever heard.I liked the part where he went flat and then sharp and then normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Balfie wrote: »
    Its a time of year where alot of people are happy, spend time with their family, get to enjoy their life, but for some people its not like that, for some people its a time when things are looking worse than ever..

Please, if you are thinking about suicide, or have thought about suicide, talk to someone. Someone is always there. Someone is going through the same situation that you are, someone can make you see the bright side that you can't see. When times feel like they can't get any worse, and you are just stuck in a rut. Find a family member, a friend, someone to confide in. Don't take the option of suicide. Things can never be so bad.

This song is a really powerful song. In the middle it breaks up to hear people who have lost people to suicide.

A guy says "Its not the right order of things, you're not supposed to bury your children, they are supposed to bury you"

Think about the people that really care about you. The ones who will be left behind.

This affects alot of people every year. The reason I posted it here in After Hours is because I know it will be seen by ALOT of people.

Thanks for listening.

Suicide is always horrific to hear about but when it is discussed openly and frankly then it is always a positive thing to do. Well done to the OP for creating this thread

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    probably the best song i have ever heard.I liked the part where he went flat and then sharp and then normal.

Its not about the song, but thanks for the rather expected witty, useless response that has come to be acceptable in After Hours no matter Topic of the Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

And don't forget to have a look at the most recent depression thread. Lots of inspiring stories and helpful numbers and resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks for posting that.

I am sure there are people reading this that feel alone and empty and your post has helped them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Whats with all the suicide threads these days?

AH is getting depressing.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Oh Christ, not another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Great post Balfie, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Fair play for brining up the subject of suicide, it really needs to be discussed openly.
    Things can never be so bad.

BUT these statements are a tad judgemental, the truth is, that it IS an option, you sound genuine and maybe you prefer that people don't take that option, but ending their life is an option. (merely by the fact that hundreds of people do it a year, not just whether you believe they should have it as an option)

Telling them its not might stop someone who is thinking about ending their life talking about it, because they'll feel judged, and like there is something wrong with them for thinking about it.

You can't say things "can never be so bad" you don't know what someone is feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What a pile of emo crap (good Charlotte, not the thread)

IMO the best thread on suicide and depression is this one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71728728

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

So if a persons existence is one of sadness. That person should not end said existence as it will make others feel sad for a certain amount of time.... yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

sambuka41 wrote: »
    and like there is something wrong with them for thinking about it.
    If everything was all right with them they'd hardly be thinking about suicide now would they. Fair play to the OP lets all help put a stop to suicide.

PK2008 wrote: »
    Whats with all the suicide threads these days?

AH is getting depressing.....
    Oh Christ, not another one.

Whether we like it or not suicide is happening on an alarming scale in this country of ours. i think it should be discussed. yes it is a very sad topic ill not disagree with you on that but it shouldn't be a taboo subject and it deserves a platform if not several for views on this topic to be aired. We cant hammer it home often enough how important it is to talk about our feelings, problems and emotions at any given time. Christmas and the new year can be a very sad time for alot of people and they need to know they are not alone if they feel they are in a dark place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Listening to Good Charlotte makes me want to kill myself.

There are similar links in my sig, if you're having trouble and need to talk, follow any one of those.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    If everything was all right with them they'd hardly be thinking about suicide now would they. Fair play to the OP lets all help put a stop to suicide.

Eh yes, but if someone is feeling so low that they want to end their lives do yo think its a good time to kick them? Add to the guilt they already feel for thinking it by telling them that its not an option, think of your family???

Trust me, thats not helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

It is true that nothing's ever that bad to have to turn to suicide, even if it does feel like it is sometimes.

• Advertisement

Eh yes, but if someone is feeling so low that they want to end their lives do yo think its a good time to kick them? Add to the guilt they already feel for thinking it by telling them that its not an option, think of your family???

Trust me, thats not helpful
    So what, you'd rather tell them it is an option?

So what, you'd rather tell them it is an option?

The fact is that it IS an option. Not one that we would like them to take but it is an option all the same. Its about letting people express themselves.

(on a side note I agree with self determination, it is up to the person to decide what is right for them)

Fair play for brining up the subject of suicide, it really needs to be discussed openly.

BUT these statements are a tad judgemental, the truth is, that it IS an option, you sound genuine and maybe you prefer that people don't take that option, but ending their life is an option. (merely by the fact that hundreds of people do it a year, not just whether you believe they should have it as an option)

Telling them its not might stop someone who is thinking about ending their life talking about it, because they'll feel judged, and like there is something wrong with them for thinking about it.

You can't say things "can never be so bad" you don't know what someone is feeling.

The point of this thread is to highlight to people that there is people out there to talk to, people who will miss them. People who will do nothing but think of them, I have personally lost someone to suicide, I have also thought about suicide, many times infact.

Talking to someone can make how you feel turn around, I got alot of help from people around me that care about me..

The point of this thread isn't telling people what they can and cannot do. Its to highlight the fact that there are other options.

(on a side note I agree with self determination, it is up to the person to decide what is right for them)
    Yeah see this right here is where I disagree. Sometimes people get messed up, maybe drugs or maybe personal circumstances like debt.

I don't subscribe to the view that people should support whatever messed up road someone is going down regardless - sometimes you have to tell them, man that's messed up. I'll always try and help someone but I won't be a party to enabling self harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Santiago Garcia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Isn't one of these threads enough!??!?!

Samich wrote: »

Clearly not if people are reacting like you are. :confused:

The point of this thread is to highlight to people that there is people out there to talk to, people who will miss them. People who will do nothing but think of them, I have personally lost someone to suicide, I have also thought about suicide, many times infact.

Talking to someone can make how you feel turn around, I got alot of help from people around me that care about me..

The point of this thread isn't telling people what they can and cannot do. Its to highlight the fact that there are other options.

In that way I agree with you, I was being a bit pedantic about some of the language. I just think its very important that people be allowed make their own decisions for what is best for them.

To enable people to talk openly, if they are considering suicide, I think the atmosphere needs to be one of non judgement, or they wont open up. If they sense that you feel its wrong of them to think it, they wont talk, that's what I was pointing out. (not trying to derail your thread ;) )

Samich wrote: »

Why cause its a serious subject that affects hundreds of people in our country every year.

Or is it cause you personally don't like too talk about serious subjects?

There's things that are talked about all the time on boards in multiple threads over multiple forums. Yet "One of these is enough" when it comes to suicide?

Maybe this has been seen by "One" person and they realised they have someone to talk to!

• Advertisement

Yeah see this right here is where I disagree. Sometimes people get messed up, maybe drugs or maybe personal circumstances like debt.

I don't subscribe to the view that people should support whatever messed up road someone is going down regardless

Indeed but you appear to be under the assumption that people must be going through something messed up to feel that way.

Advertisement