Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

nd wrote: »
    Is it odd that one or two watermarks on the outside drives me mad, while inside rubbish doesn't bother me?

Nope I'm the same

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Some crap photos after giving the car a wash
    7mtB43Z.jpg
    dKGzWyO.jpg
    g2CPw4q.jpg

And the exhausts
    DML9jAN.jpg
    tCWgBnR.jpg

There's still some corrosion which I'll tackle when I get my hands on heavier duty steel wool, 0000 is too fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

@harcrid

Nice job, great you have a metal drain off in ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The car got is first proper clean of the year yesterday.

EE494B4B-4E87-4D86-B69C-F5978702CE01_zpszpsefbai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Am jealous of all the people washing their cars - I'll want to do it tomorrow and it'll be raining probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Northern Monkey - is she a 325i or 335i??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey - is she a 325i or 335i??

Sadly just a 320d Dave. The next one will hopefully have a bit more poke, but this one has served me well in almost 5 years of owning it. That's my first time using Blacklight. I'm really impressed with how wet it leaves the paint looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Started at 10 A.M yesterday Morning and finished at 6 P.M

Washed.
    Dried.
    Nothing else needed as was de tarred & clayed last week.

Few touch up's I did last week were sanded and good to go.

Straight on to the DA pro.

CG MF Pads
    Cutting pad first combined with Wolfs "The Correctional Utility"

This combo definitely moved the process on in terms of speed of cut and finish.

Was delighted with the finish and gloss after this session.

Continued on with MF Polishing pad and wolfs chemicals " The Jeweler" as I felt there was not any need for "The Medium" stage of the wolfs product.

Washed and dried after this

One coat of Britemax Blackmax applied via the D.A.

buffedd off

One light coat of Britemax Extreme elements

Buffed again.
    LSP used was Britemax Vantage.

Have to admit the car was transformed after todays work.

Here she stands. :cool:

photo3_zpse05448d2.jpg

photo2_zps3cc918d7.jpg

photo1_zpseb7ff7b8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

currently in process of cleaning car, having cuppa so quick observation for first time i used orchard iron cleanse, used approx 1/3 in a spray bottle to 2/3rds water sprayed it on boy it stinks and it dried to dust almost immediately now car was in sunlight but panels didnt seem that hot, i took a picture and will upload later, did i get the ratio wrong, it worked fine on the alloys they turned to red as expected

Sadly just a 320d Dave. The next one will hopefully have a bit more poke, but this one has served me well in almost 5 years of owning it. That's my first time using Blacklight. I'm really impressed with how wet it leaves the paint looking.

The rear exhaust looks familar so I thought it may have been the 335 :o

M-Sport model yeah? The paint looks incredibly deep! A coat of Collinite 845 on top of that would make it unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Did the wheels today.

Wash with wheel cleaner
    Detar and scrub
    APC and rinse.
    2 coats of FK 1000.
    Tyre dressing.

Done before the rain :D

Before:
    d4Ct1h2l.jpg

After:
    UqozAa0l.jpg

And the whole lot:
    jVAVoIBl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Looking good! :D

spent today detailing the car, i apologise for the pics there crap its only on laptop i realise how bad camera on phone is:rolleyes:

Snow foamed with Kleenfreaks sf
    2bm using chemical guys wax safe shampoo
    detarred using autosmart tardis
    rinsed
    orchard autocar iron cleanse (it didnt go to plan dried on contact)
    rinsed
    clayed with chemical guys supre fine clay (didnt lift too much?)
    washed again 2bm
    polished with autofinesse tripple all in one
    waxed using dodo juice diamond white hard wax
    glass cleaned using autogylm glass polish
    trim used autofinesse trim restorer
    (wheels were just power washed job for tomorrow)
    trying to upload pics once i figure it out ill have them up:mad:
    [IMG][/img]13953555665_c136ced0a0.jpgIMG_20140420_120316974 by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]13930480676_2954e5c826.jpgIMG_20140420_181305759_HDR by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]13930478962_caf5d96fc7.jpgIMG_20140420_181311691 by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]13930477012_e354854782.jpgIMG_20140420_190630976_HDR by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]13930467666_c5695b9f34.jpgIMG_20140420_190751067 by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Spent a few hours removing the EGR & Inlet Manifold on the XTYPE Jag and cleaning. Dirty job but had to be done.

Eventually, it did end up being detailed - although i forgot to take the last pics!

Same as a Mondeo TDCI 2.0D.

http://imgur.com/a/0hfsr

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Gave it a good clean yesterday, then it rained, and brought with the rain, dust. Dirty again.

Gave the tyres a good scrub though:
    IMAG1108.jpg

Thanks detailingshed!

Then I googled the type of tyres that came with the car when I got it. Ugh. Tyrereview.co.uk lists them under "Budget Brand Tyres". Time to buy some 18s and proper rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Time to buy some 18s and proper rubber.

Hankooks,

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

vectra wrote: »
    Hankooks,

Was looking at alloy-wheels.ie. They have a bundle on the alloys I want, with a set of fulda sport control tyres for a touch over 1k. Though it would be nice to get genuine VW alloys, rather than replicas

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Was looking at alloy-wheels.ie. They have a bundle on the alloys I want, with a set of fulda sport control tyres for a touch over 1k. Though it would be nice to get genuine VW alloys, rather than replicas

Some of those replicas out there are very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Decided to give the wheels on the Clio a quick clean before the bank holiday weekend.
    Jacked the car up and popped two wheels off at a time.
    arf3.jpg

While the wheels were off, I decided to give the brakes a quick clean
    Before
    pw8r.jpg
    After
    1cpc.jpg
    tlu1.jpg

Then on to the wheels, some before pictures
    qny6.jpg
    uq5fl.jpg
    After a quick rinse with some AutoGlym Car Shampoo (pretty badly marked with tar)
    zs86.jpg
    6ir6.jpg
    Then used Wonder Wheels to shift the tar
    n4z5.jpg
    k2cs.jpg
    Then after a quick polish with Chemical Guys - Wheel Guard Wax - Wheel & Rim Gloss Protection below are the finished results
    rpy9.jpg
    rxfo.jpg
    gpvf.jpg
    d7wf.jpg
    Applied some copper grease before putting the wheels back on....fairly happy with the results
    7oqe.jpg

Gave the car a quick polish with Chemical Guys Black Light
    vdaj.jpg
    7aoh.jpg

• Advertisement

That is a deadly little car fletch! Lovely job on the alloys too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Did a fair few miles over the weekend so I waited until this evening and a snow foam and bug shifter left the car lovely and clean after last weeks polishing session. I did another layer of EGP using a tip from detailingworld - trigger head in the bottle:

36504813-1813-49CA-960B-924A830713A4_zpseqqmacqd.jpg

2 sprays onto a MF is just perfect for a panel. It gets distributed evenly over the cloth and only leaves a tiny layer. It's like using a quick detailer. Oh, if you do this then be sure to wash out the head afterwards as apparently EGP will kill it. This gives you an idea of the coverage:

EFC88292-318A-45A0-8345-DF43DBCB6BC9_zpsp6gabuno.jpg

Leaving it on while I put the kids to bed and have some dinner. After pictures to follow if there is any light left :)

Edit: quick snap after buffing:

F88F1508-5D39-4659-AF02-7969E64A202C_zpspmnrgkja.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

A friend put up a picture of two BMWs in the house. The boyfriend using a sponge on a red 06. I told her he was running the paint using a sponge , told her to what to use and do the two bucket method.

She didn't want to hear of it and the red beemer is hers.

looks like every one was cleaning alloys today:D

[IMG][/img]13936170046_c6e8ff4f53_b.jpgIMG_20140421_131645225 by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]13979259963_d708863b38_b.jpgIMG_20140421_131636821 by Rigger-EI-2GFB, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No offence to you or anything deaglan, but IMO them alloys never did anything for the A4's of that vintage.

No offence to you or anything deaglan, but IMO them alloys never did anything for the A4's of that vintage.

im in too minds about them, they came on the car and have really fresh vredestians on with loads of thread, so ill prob wear them out id love some s4 avus rims, then at time i really like them:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The AG quick detailer is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

fletch wrote: »
    Gave the car a quick polish with Chemical Guys Black Light

Dont want to sound like an ass, but you didnt polish the car using Black Light.

Also, the protection offered by Blacklight wouldnt be fantastic, and its best to use a wax or sealant over it. It will give protection for a short period though.

Cracking motor...would love an auld test drive of one! Looks very tidy! :)

Curran wrote: »
    Dont want to sound like an ass, but you didnt polish the car using Black Light.

Also, the protection offered by Blacklight wouldnt be fantastic, and its best to use a wax or sealant over it. It will give protection for a short period though.

Cracking motor...would love an auld test drive of one! Looks very tidy! :)
    Ha thanks. I used a Chemical Guys sealant too (that I got as part of a bundle on cleancar.ie) on top of the black light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Good man - no issues so!! Carry on! :P

JetSeal109? If so, that'll have you sorted for a few months! ;)

Advertisement